Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

very odd experience last night -- had a piece of london broil, vacuum sealed then frozen, then pulled from the freezer and tossed it into a 24 hour bath. when I checked it last night it was definitely green on the outside. ending up throwing it away, but no idea how it could've been contaminated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I've done a standing rib roast both sous vide and non sous vide, and preferred the non-sous vide. I don't know if you can get the super hard crust you can get from an oven cook with sous vide.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

It's been discussed in here before but that green poo poo happens with long cooks sometimes. You can prevent it by boiling the roast for a minute before dropping it in the water bath

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

very odd experience last night -- had a piece of london broil, vacuum sealed then frozen, then pulled from the freezer and tossed it into a 24 hour bath. when I checked it last night it was definitely green on the outside. ending up throwing it away, but no idea how it could've been contaminated.

DangerZoneDelux posted:

It's been discussed in here before but that green poo poo happens with long cooks sometimes. You can prevent it by boiling the roast for a minute before dropping it in the water bath

I’ve been sous vide-ing for like a year now and have never seen or heard of this. What temperature were you using?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

132 for 24 hours. my guess would be the issue was caused by not rebagging the meat or thawing it

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

When I first got my anova a few years back, I had some short ribs get a weird yellow funk over a long cook. It definitely happens.

EDIT: yep, post from Jan 2014:

a foolish pianist posted:

I did my short ribs for 72 hours at 129, as detailed in the link last page. One of the bags was fine, but the other developed some kind of yellow film. It didn't smell off, but I got rid of them just in case. I couldn't find any references to this happening elsewhere.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 24, 2018

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Glottis posted:

I tried to make a chuck roast and failed horribly. I put it in at 135 degrees and took it out after a day, at which point I realized it got some significant lactobacillus activity (i.e. was green). I think it affected the flavor as well for sure, and I also realized that a day was not long enough at that temperature. I put it in for another day. It tastes like rear end.

Takeaway question: do you guys do something to sanitize the surface of your meat before a very look SV session? Briefly boil it? Sear?

Yep I remember this dude having same problem

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I've reverse seared or smoked for my 48 hour cooks and never had an issue.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

So, if I smoke the corned beef before sous vide-ing it, (pepper crust?) do I get pastrami?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Sous vide London broil round two was a success and was great in some tacos

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
London broil sounds disgusting

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

namaste friends posted:

London broil sounds disgusting

It's a cut of beef
What's disgusting about it?

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...
It sounds vaguely smog related

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Rule of thumb is never cook in grocery store packaging.

This was the one I did this weekend, 175 for about 11 hours total. I put it in with just the seasoning packet and an ounce of light beer. It was fantastic, fork sliceable and super flavorful.

I've never really worried about cooking pre-packaged stuff as long as it's obviously the heavy-duty commercial chamber-vac stuff. But just out of curiosity I contacted the company that packages Costco's corned beef to ask if it was ok to vizzle their bags, and they just got back to me:

quote:

Yes our packaging material is safe for sous vide. We recommend cooking it for 10 hrs once the temperature has reached 180°. This will result in a tender and juicy corned beef brisket.

Seems to be some general agreement on the temperature range at least. :D

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I've been doing pork tenderloins in the kroger packaging pretty frequently, and it's gone fine. I haven't died of plastic poisoning yet, at least. I figure it's fine at least at lower (sub-140) temps.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Did you know that salmonella in chicken goes away after a bit of time at a lower temperature than whatever eradicates it instantly? This means you can use your sous vide to make a chicken breast at about 140 for an hour and a half, and eat chicken that's still a little pink. No matter what recipes you see that say this is okay DO NOT DO THIS. It tastes like complete mushy poo poo. And may kill you still?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Pasteurization is a function of time and temperature. There is plenty of evidence demonstrating the safety of cooking at lower temperatures for longish times.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Grem posted:

Did you know that salmonella in chicken goes away after a bit of time at a lower temperature than whatever eradicates it instantly? This means you can use your sous vide to make a chicken breast at about 140 for an hour and a half, and eat chicken that's still a little pink. No matter what recipes you see that say this is okay DO NOT DO THIS. It tastes like complete mushy poo poo. And may kill you still?

Pasteurized but rare chicken is safe to eat, but is still tastes bad, and your reflexive response might still be to gag, because raw chicken isn't safe and your brain doesn't know the difference.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

^^^ you said it better

Grem posted:

Undercooked but still pasteurized and “safe” chicken (140F) is texturally challenging in the Mango household. Such a weird chew in the mouth.

145 or 150 has a more traditional texture. Yes, you can make it softer, or even mushy, just do it intentionally (like softer chicken for pulled chicken or taco chicken can be great).

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I think people thought I was a freak last time I said 140F chicken was fine to me. I think it works well for things like sandwiches or chicken salad. I usually do 145 if it's traditional chicken breast prep, though.

I feel that going any higher than that kinda negates the benefits of SV, but maybe that's because I ate chicken that was dry as gently caress growing up and I never want that again.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
140 is amazing for chicken salad.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

uPen posted:

140 is amazing for chicken salad.

I guess I'm weird I prefer 150. 140 is just not a texture that appeals to me in chicken

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I guess I'm weird I prefer 150. 140 is just not a texture that appeals to me in chicken

I wish I had an SV rig and some BSCBs. I would love to do a chicken salad blind taste test.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
140 too low for me, too.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I did a bunch of skin on chicken breasts for new year's. Turned out really well and it was extremely practical since the party was at a friend's place. Marinated, bagged two and two, vizzled at 150F for 45-ish mins. Then cooled and fridged. At his place, placed them all skin side up on a baking tray, patted dry and seasoned the skin, then blasted the hell out of them under the broiler. Crispy(-ish, weak broiler) skin and reheated through in one go. Turned out great, and very little effort during a dinner with many courses. 140F seems a bit like "space food" to me, it's sort of soft and mildly translucent. 150F it gets more flaky, the fibers separate more. If you have a quality piece of chicken* you'll want to render some of that fat as well. The most important thing is really that they were all moist, done enough and all done evenly, which is what sous vide does so well.

* It really is very easy to drop poo poo chicken from your diet and still survive as a happy carnivore.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Nah. My wife prefers 165. It's still moister than other cooking methods I've tried.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, much so.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do 143 for eating hot, 146 for cold. Just don't care for the texture at lower temps. But to each his own. It's not a safety issue at all though as long as you cook it for the right pasteurization time at a given temp.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

It's also fun to explain to my coworkers why eating pink chicken is okay. They're pretty sure I won't make it to next week.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Have they never had bone-in chicken breasts before?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

People freak out about pink chicken but are perfectly happy eating medium rare duck breast. It's a mystery to me.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

People freak out about pink chicken but are perfectly happy eating medium rare duck breast. It's a mystery to me.

It says something about the chicken industry when it's common wisdom that to eat a piece that hasn't been sterilized by fire means certain death.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

there are cultures beyond america

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Chlorine chickens with wooden breasts and salmonella? Haven't seen those over there yet. That's a specialty of US breeders apparently.

Seriously though, the risk of salmonella inside the chicken rather than outside on the egg was a little lower in the EU than the US from what I read at some point.

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013
meh

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I'd be wary of Chinese sous vide machines. They seem to be gaming the review scores on Amazon and the bad reviews sound like they were written by sane people, which is always a bad sign.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah Amazon quality went way down since all the Chinese stuff popped up there. Buy a well known brand. Otherwise you buy twice in the best case or buy a new house after it burnt down in the worst.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

I bought this, seems to work ok so far.

Probably a dumb question but can I start with hot tap water or should I start with cold?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Harminoff posted:

I bought this, seems to work ok so far.

Probably a dumb question but can I start with hot tap water or should I start with cold?

I always start with hot. It's probably a net 'who cares' in terms on cost but it gets the water up to temp faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I start with hot too. It definitely shortens the time to get the water up to temp. Even faster with the insulating factor of the pingpong balls.