Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
So we had basically half of our staff quit this week.

Of the seven people there:
-The new hire (of 2 days, showed up drunk and was fired)
-the assistant store manager was transferred to another store as store manager
-the other key just put in her two week for another job.

What's left is:
-the manager
-Me
-two part timers (one is currently on Spring break).

If we don't have 2 people at the end of the day, we have to close the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not to undermine how good it feels to give the finger to your boss, but if they've been giving you warnings then this is the result they wanted.

Probably, but when companies want to get rid of you they want to do it on their schedule.

My last company was finding poo poo to write me up for, so there was nothing better than turning in my two weeks, explaining that I was going to a competitor, which activates a policy where they have to let me go immediately, going out on my terms, and loving my manager over on her vacation and on her staffing because they weren’t prepared yet to replace me.

That was a good feeling.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

It is so slow in my department right now (copy center in a office supply store).

Nothing due, cleanup done, and no one in self serve. Getting paid to do nothing right now, so I just took a working lunch in that I ate my lunch at my "desk" so that the MOD could do MOD things instead of covering my break that I wouldn't have gotten paid for.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Probably, but when companies want to get rid of you they want to do it on their schedule.

My last company was finding poo poo to write me up for, so there was nothing better than turning in my two weeks, explaining that I was going to a competitor, which activates a policy where they have to let me go immediately, going out on my terms, and loving my manager over on her vacation and on her staffing because they weren’t prepared yet to replace me.

That was a good feeling.

Yeeep. They were finding a ton of bullshit reasons (it's not overfeeding if there's no food in the bowl) so rather than deal with any more constant negativity I just up and quit.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I would not have thought that from the entire shitshow that is employment the retail industry Petco would be the nut low, but every single person I've ever known who has worked there has told nothing but horror stories

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Anora posted:

What's left is:
-the manager
-Me

Welcome to (drug store), remember to greet so people are less likely to commit armored robbery.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The conventional wisdom of retail is rear end

We had a guy who had been high ranking at a now defunct office supply company at our company for a while and as far as I can tell all of his decisions resulted in our stores being worse to work at and therefore worse to shop at

He's gone now but boy howdy this is a hole to dig out of

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

I would not have thought that from the entire shitshow that is employment the retail industry Petco would be the nut low, but every single person I've ever known who has worked there has told nothing but horror stories

Wrong one! I work(ed) for the other well-known pet supply store. It used to be a nice place to work but then our assistant store leader got transferred and we got one who doesn't know how to make a schedule and then Pet Care's management imploded and they put in people who had no reason being in a department they'd never worked in.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Anora posted:

What's left is:
-the manager
-Me

Thank goodness they have you there to take advantage of, eh?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The way Home Depot handles its time clock bugs me so much. It only counts in 15 minute increments so anything less than 7 minutes counts as 0 and anything over 7 minutes counts as 15. If you have a shift at 6am and clock in at 5:55, which if you're a cashier like I am they want you to do so you're up front by open, your timeclock will show a punch in at 6am. If you clock late at 6:07 you are shown clocking in at 6:15. If you work close and don't clock out until 10:05 you don't get those extra five minutes. The only upside is that if you clock out at 7 past the hour you'll get 8 extra minutes of pay. However, the rest happens way more often and I'm sure I've lost at least ten or so hours at this point.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Sankis posted:

The way Home Depot handles its time clock bugs me so much. It only counts in 15 minute increments so anything less than 7 minutes counts as 0 and anything over 7 minutes counts as 15. If you have a shift at 6am and clock in at 5:55, which if you're a cashier like I am they want you to do so you're up front by open, your timeclock will show a punch in at 6am. If you clock late at 6:07 you are shown clocking in at 6:15. If you work close and don't clock out until 10:05 you don't get those extra five minutes. The only upside is that if you clock out at 7 past the hour you'll get 8 extra minutes of pay. However, the rest happens way more often and I'm sure I've lost at least ten or so hours at this point.

You should probably find an extra three minutes of poo poo to do if you are about to clock out at 5 after the hour. Even if it is three minutes of just looking busy.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Oh, I do. It's the other stuff that bothers me.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Sankis posted:

Kmart got sued for that about 10 years ago. They then switched to a pay by the minutr setup.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

Kmart got sued for that about 10 years ago. They then switched to a pay by the minutr setup.

Yes, this is illegal in the US, so I assume it's illegal everywhere.

The acid test is simple: They "want" (wink wink, totally not required right?) you to clock in at 5:55. If you instead clocked in at 5:52 every day--hey, an extra couple minutes to get everything perfectly ready before customers start coming in, right?--would they be cool with that, or would they get pissy about it?

If the latter, they're systematically stealing time from employees and they know it.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 12, 2018

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My place doesn't let you clock in any earlier than 2 minutes before, and no more than one minute after. Otherwise you need to get an override from a supervisor.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Jyrraeth posted:

My place doesn't let you clock in any earlier than 2 minutes before, and no more than one minute after. Otherwise you need to get an override from a supervisor.

Let me guess, there is often a line to clock in and you wind up with any occurrence if you are at the end of that line?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I remember when I used to care when I clocked in.

:ohdear: "What if I'm one minute early, one minute late? I better wait around until it is time."

At my old job I stopped caring when I realized nothing short of arson that would get me punished. At my new job I stopped caring when it was established I didn't gently caress up constantly. Me and my manager both usually arrive five minutes late.

The managers would poo poo if corporate altered the time clock because people gently caress up constantly as-is and they're the only ones that can fix it.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

The acid test is simple: They "want" (wink wink, totally not required right?) you to clock in at 5:55. If you instead clocked in at 5:52 every day--hey, an extra couple minutes to get everything perfectly ready before customers start coming in, right?--would they be cool with that, or would they get pissy about it?

If the latter, they're systematically stealing time from employees and they know it.

If you clock in 7 minutes early or late for your shift you get an automated write up.

Coincidentally this is why I will now just immediately call off if I'm going to be late. The other day when my area got hit by a Nor'Easter there was an accident on the road I typically take to work meaning I had to spend 15 minutes going back and then taking another route. I called an ASM and let them know as soon as I was able. Unfortunately, this made me 11 minutes late and, because it was over 7 minutes, I was immediately written up which is exactly the same thing that'd happen for a call out without sick time to cover it.

grimcreaper posted:

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yes, this is illegal in the US, so I assume it's illegal everywhere.

Do either of you have sources for its legality by chance?

Sankis fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 12, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sankis posted:

If you clock in 7 minutes early or late for your shift you get an automated write up.

Extremely illegal and you should call whatever agency is responsible for oversight and let them know about it.

edit in response to your edit: Wish I had something on paper from the company I was working for when they got hit for this very thing about 5 years ago but I don't. In the US it violates the FLSA, this looks like a good place to start.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 12, 2018

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

therobit posted:

Let me guess, there is often a line to clock in and you wind up with any occurrence if you are at the end of that line?

Naw, you can clock in at any phone in the store. There's one for each till (7) and about 2 per department (so that's another 8) and each office phone (5 more) so that's never a problem. The problem is that there's usually only one supervisor around to fix your punch so if you do gently caress up, it takes like 20 minutes to find one.

We're so understaffed that even if there was only one phone in the whole place, there would never be a line longer than 2 people starting at one time.

EDIT: but it also has the funny consequence of one of the more dense guys arriving 7 minutes early and deciding to stand in front of the phone, which is in the most obvious spot for customers to bother him for food in the middle of lunch hour. Arms crossed, "Sorry I'm minutes early I can't help you". I had to tell him to go wander or at least hide in the back?

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 12, 2018

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
SM gave us permission to close at 8 because we were totally dead from 5 to 7:30 due to the snow but things started picking back up and the DM called and said we couldn't close til 9pm -_-

On the bright side I got a lot of deep cleaning done

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

That storm is dumping 12-18" on us tomorrow.

Cue several people realizing at 7:30 (hour and a half before closing and when I usually start my cleanup) that they need poo poo printed for first thing Wednesday morning.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
One of my coworkers was fired for never showing up to work, since then he has shown up twice every day to buy Swisher Sweets.

He tried to show up at 9:59 tonight to buy some, I had already locked the doors and pulled the drawers, so time for him to learn about new places to get swishers.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
We are being refurbished. As part of the refurbishment, all of the computers in the store (not the registers, the other computers) have been replaced. The new computers have nice modern 22" widescreen LCDs, instead of the old 17" 4:3 LCDs. Unfortunately the screen resolution is locked at 1280x1024, and the ability to change the screen resolution is disabled. It's driving me insane.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Anora posted:

One of my coworkers was fired for never showing up to work, since then he has shown up twice every day to buy Swisher Sweets.

He tried to show up at 9:59 tonight to buy some, I had already locked the doors and pulled the drawers, so time for him to learn about new places to get swishers.
I could never understand fired retail workers shopping at the places they were fired from. I'd be like gently caress this place and shop at a competitor's place.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ijii posted:

I could never understand fired retail workers shopping at the places they were fired from. I'd be like gently caress this place and shop at a competitor's place.

On the opposite end of the spectrum - drunk customers coming in to buy swisher sweets angrily wondering why they haven't been hired yet

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

ijii posted:

"But all my friends work there!"

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

ijii posted:

Unless it was for something embarrassing enough to not want to show my face, I'd still shop at my store. Nearest parts store to my house and they have competent people. :P

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Since the store remodel is about a month behind due to supplies not coming in on time, someone thinks that scheduling more and more people on overnights to help out will solve that problem.

So now the rest of us that work during open hours get bitched at for why work isn't getting done.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
So like anyone who's interested in a job, I've been pumping my managers and some co-workers for details. I'm not incredibly optimistic about my chances, I don't know the guy who's decision it is. But I'd like to think I'm regarded as "not an rear end in a top hat", so yeah maybe.

It comes with more vacation time, every quarter.

It comes with a pay-bump. Not a full amount, a percentage, but if that stacks on with my yearly... not terrible, I guess?

The only thing that made me laugh was the hours. The ASM told me my company qualifies full-time as "an average of 32 or more hours a week".

So, the baseline for "full-time" is something I already toe or break on the reg. I told the ASM as much, to which she replied, "Don't worry, corporate will tell us to cut your hours soon."

Anyone who thinks this generation doesn't have any money because we're spending it on toast should be forced to drink a tall glass of yellow water from freshly-squeezed cats.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Right, they keep your hours low to avoid having to give benefits, and then they also schedule you inconsistently and demand constant availability from you so it's impossible to get a decent second job. Can't pay even for a tiny apartment and beater car on that income? gently caress you, we own you.

And yeah, if 32 hours counts as Full Time then as the end of the (fiscal) year approaches Corporate will order your hours cut to a level that your yearly average is 31.5. This happened a ton in the US once Obamacare came in, suddenly wage slaves nationwide found themselves averaging 29.5 hours a week (frequently by being ping-ponged back and forth between 38 hours and 20 hours).

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 14, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Man, retail, am I right?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I know! It's a real kneeslapper! XD

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
Someone noticed spilled heavy cream in our walk in fridge way in the back under all the shelves (I know they saw it because there was a rag next to the puddle) and decided it was a problem for "not them"

You know how I know it was heavy cream? Because that poo poo took forever to mop up and smeared everywhere

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Cream and yoghurt are the worst spills outside the category of bodily fluids (which as someone not in management I’m prohibited from attempting to clean)

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I have poo poo to do and I close every night. Some messes I will gladly ignore if they're a danger to nobody or the janitor is like 5 minutes out.

I will never not clean up my own mess tho. gently caress that guy, gently caress that guy all day.

Yogurt though? Milk? Man, who cares. You know what the worst poo poo is? Sugar. That poo poo goes everywhere. Sweep it up? Good luck rear end in a top hat, you'll never get it all. Bring out the water? Enjoy your giant sticky spot on the floor. You've got to do one, then the other, and even then you're probably going to miss some. It takes forever, and just forget it if some rear end holes a bag and leaves a giant candy coke line that runs from one end of the store from the other.

I'd rather clean poo poo than sugar.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd trade for both of those compared to used motor oil and brake dust. The only real way to do the oil is cover it in absorbent and wait a day or two and its still a bitch to get up if the absorbent didn't soak it all up. The brake dust just gets loving everywhere within a 20ft radius of the brake lathe if some dingus forgets to turn the vacuum on (they all do this, including me from time to time). And as an bonus, if the drums/rotors are old enough or if the customer has been running super cheap chinese pads they ordered online, theres a possibility that super fine fine brake dust powder I'm breathing in has asbestos in it! Why no, we don't get ppe, why do you ask?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

I'd trade for both of those compared to used motor oil and brake dust. The only real way to do the oil is cover it in absorbent and wait a day or two and its still a bitch to get up if the absorbent didn't soak it all up. The brake dust just gets loving everywhere within a 20ft radius of the brake lathe if some dingus forgets to turn the vacuum on (they all do this, including me from time to time). And as an bonus, if the drums/rotors are old enough or if the customer has been running super cheap chinese pads they ordered online, theres a possibility that super fine fine brake dust powder I'm breathing in has asbestos in it! Why no, we don't get ppe, why do you ask?

Yeah the constraints of being at work make cleaning up motor oil hell. At home though just blot up as much as you can and then use gasoline and a rag on whatever is left. It isn't environmentally friendly but gasoline is a fantastic solvent.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Is cream worse than sugary energy drinks?

Because gently caress cleaning up those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Huh, I guess none of you guys have cleaned up after someone knocked several glass jars of molasses off a shelf. I envy you.

e: at least it smelled nice