Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I just instinctively tried to scroll that screenshot so I could see the rest of the map. I'm in too deep.

Are blue units friendly AI ones? I've never seen one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Nuebot posted:

Claims seem to be a very weird and frustrating system. I really wish there was a better way to go about it? Because like. If I steal territory from a dude in war, that poo poo should be mine even if I forgot to check a little box saying I formally claim this place as mine.

I think it's also representing like political will? Your people don't want that territory.

Or just play someone who does total war all the time. Adds a bit of variety.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I just instinctively tried to scroll that screenshot so I could see the rest of the map. I'm in too deep.

Are blue units friendly AI ones? I've never seen one.

Sector ships and vassals have those

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuebot posted:

Claims seem to be a very weird and frustrating system. I really wish there was a better way to go about it? Because like. If I steal territory from a dude in war, that poo poo should be mine even if I forgot to check a little box saying I formally claim this place as mine.
The checkbox costs resources, it's to limit how much of an enemy's territory you can take at once. Also limiting how much the enemy can take of yours.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

And you can add a claim during a war if you want that territory bad enough.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I think it's also representing like political will? Your people don't want that territory.

Or just play someone who does total war all the time. Adds a bit of variety.

Basically yeah, if you want to keep what you kill, there's civics you can take for that, but everyone else in the galaxy is going to treat you like the murder crazy lunatic you are if you don't want to spend influence to enforce your claims.

Xmas Pterodactyl
Oct 22, 2007
Does building a colossus break war goals? Or are war goals bugged in some way?

In my current play through I've decided it's time to vassalise the galaxy. I unlocked the domination unity thing and successfully vassalised one of my neighbours by setting it as a war goal. However, since unlocking the colossus, I only get Total War casus belli as an option. No option for subjugation, despite repeating demanding vassalisation and having the notification pop up saying that subjugation is available as a caus belli. On declaring war, only Total War is available.

Is this intended?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So what happens if a pre-ftl civ raises itself to ftl when you've got colonies in the system, do they all flip to them?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Claims are significantly cheaper than the cost to expand to those systems normally as well. The base is 50 instead of 75, rivals drop it by 20%, the war tree drops it by another 20%, and there are plenty of other cost reductions on 'em.

edit: uh, the galatic nomads appear to be busted in 2.0+. Since they don't get your starbase in the system they ask for, you immediately take control of the colony and blow up the new empire.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 11, 2018

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

The old army attachment system is (thankfully) gone but unfortunately there is nothing to take its place. Your only option is to research a better army type, like clones. You can get gene warriors if you choose bio ascension, machine armies with synth stuff, psi armies with psionics, etc but there is no way to buff an individual army any more.

Don't forget xenomorphs. They're significantly stronger than regular and clone armies and pretty close to gene warriors (xenos do more damage, way more morale damage, and have morale immunity while gene warriors get +100 health). Collateral damage seems pretty insignificant even with invasions comprised of nothing but xenos; you maybe get a couple ruined buildings and dead pops per planet. Just means less unrest after the fact and I usually revise the building layout of conquered worlds anyway. I've found resilient and strong species to be really common in my 2.0 games so clones just don't cut it.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I'm gonna start a new game, isn't there some extra events mod that's popular here, anybody have it? I think I'm gonna try some mods to mix things up.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Either I'm not doing something right or war is still incredibly tedious busywork. I tried to vassalize someone who had a defensive pact, I had to occupy every single planet both of them owned before I could meet the war goal. This includes one system the empire somehow had that was completely surrounded by an empire with closed borders to me, I had to use jump drives to reach them. The defensive-pact empire was literally on the opposite side of the galactic core. Never mind that they were both pathetic, had no chance at opposition and were annihilated in every single engagement. There needs to be a quicker and easier way to wage wars of subjugation, badly.

Influence. I feel like there should be a few ways to get a little more. I don't feel like I have enough right now, when I need Influence to claim every single system, whether it's through war, vassal integration, or natural expansion. Plus megastructures still all cost 300 Influence to start, and Edicts are a nice thing to have. My robot empire is making 6-8 Influence per month depending on circumstances and it still doesn't feel like enough. Worse, there's pretty much no way to get more. Not like I can get rivals at this point, everyone is pathetic to me. Even Fallen Empires. Can't even war for Protectorates, seems like you vassalize them when you win even if they're too behind to be a vassal.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Well I can confirm starting with destroyers with corvettes as a sidegrade plays really well.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Xmas Pterodactyl posted:

Does building a colossus break war goals? Or are war goals bugged in some way?

In my current play through I've decided it's time to vassalise the galaxy. I unlocked the domination unity thing and successfully vassalised one of my neighbours by setting it as a war goal. However, since unlocking the colossus, I only get Total War casus belli as an option. No option for subjugation, despite repeating demanding vassalisation and having the notification pop up saying that subjugation is available as a caus belli. On declaring war, only Total War is available.

Is this intended?

happened to me, no clue if it's intended

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I think part of the problem with war right now is applying the same rules to players and AIs. It's okay for a player to be able to fight to the last planet and the last station, and for an AI not to.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
game owns

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

wiegieman posted:

I think part of the problem with war right now is applying the same rules to players and AIs. It's okay for a player to be able to fight to the last planet and the last station, and for an AI not to.

I'm okay with the AI fighting to the last planet, but not to the last planet of their defensive pact ally on the other side of the galaxy. I mean we need to be neighbors for rivalries and to demand subjugation now, but apparently defensive pacts and federations don't work the same way.

To see how it works, I'd like to see is what happens if owning every planet of the target of subjugation is occupied, the -100 penalty to war score for vassalization would be removed. You'd still need to overcome the -100 penalty for surrender, but not -200 for Surrender and Vassalization.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 11, 2018

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Someone was complaining about this earlier, but you can't just auto-win without beating all the people in the war, because theoretically they could show up and push you out. Maybe once there are some more diplomacy things there could be situations where they convince someone to attack you partway through the war. Also, they're paying for those defensive pacts, so they should get something out of them yes?

Also it sounds like you're well past victory lap status, maybe try a harder AI setting, or making sure you have a good mix of advanced start AIs? If you're constantly curb stomping everything then yea the influence will feel slow, but if things aren't as one sided constantly the influence flow is pretty good. You have to make choices on where to spend it, but it isn't designed for you to be able to use everything that uses influence all the time.

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

I am at the mid-game point as the UNE with default settings and I am in the lead compared to the other normal empires. Probably because they keep on fighting each other while friendly neighbors serve as a handy fence. And look at how much literal space I can expand into!

Being such a great empire, you tend to get diplomatic requests from interesting parties.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

Someone was complaining about this earlier, but you can't just auto-win without beating all the people in the war, because theoretically they could show up and push you out. Maybe once there are some more diplomacy things there could be situations where they convince someone to attack you partway through the war. Also, they're paying for those defensive pacts, so they should get something out of them yes?

I'm fine with some of that, but there seems to be no granularity on the Subjugation war goal. If you have claims, you can remove the -100 per claim penalty on warscore by occupying those planets. Therefore, it seems logical to me if you can occupy the entire territory of the target, you should be able to negate the Vassalization war goal penalty.

ZypherIM posted:

Also it sounds like you're well past victory lap status, maybe try a harder AI setting, or making sure you have a good mix of advanced start AIs? If you're constantly curb stomping everything then yea the influence will feel slow, but if things aren't as one sided constantly the influence flow is pretty good. You have to make choices on where to spend it, but it isn't designed for you to be able to use everything that uses influence all the time.

I don't like to finish games until I see the endgame crisis at least. I did move the endgame slider back to 2375, but it's still quite a while until then (since as I understand there's no chance to pop until 50 years afterward). I don't want to dunk on the AI too much, because they're just doing things like this:

But whether or not they stand a chance, I feel like the subjugation war goal right now needs work.

Influence is a bit weird currently in that it doesn't scale at all to the endgame, where I have edicts, still-empty territory to claim, wars to fight, vassals to integrate, and megastructures to build. Can't account for all of that. In the early game it seems more meaningful, but at this point I feel like I can't scale it up anymore to meet my empire's needs like I can with other resources. Maybe it's just intentional and I have to deal with it, it doesn't feel right to me though.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 11, 2018

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
Influence generating mega-structures.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I think food would be much more interesting if it worked just like minerals and energy:

All pops grow at the same speed regardless of your current stockpile.
Growth boosting buildings consume food to operate instead of energy.
Planetary festival edict for happiness costs food.
Mid/late game cloning techs let you build pops with food.
Habitats and last stage ringworlds cost food to build.
Terraforming from one climate type to another or from tomb worlds costs food.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

Therefore, it seems logical to me if you can occupy the entire territory of the target, you should be able to negate the Vassalization war goal penalty.

You just answered your own complaint. Their alliance makes it so you need to suppress their total combined holdings, not just half of them.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I just had some homicidal robots declare war on me. I hosed them up but I couldn't get anything out of them. If I don't want their territory is there anything I can get out of a defensive war like influence? I didn't see a way to add a war goal

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

You just answered your own complaint. Their alliance makes it so you need to suppress their total combined holdings, not just half of them.

Then I should be able to subjugate their allies at the same time, by that logic.

Not talking about completely negating the war score, just one part of it.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I'm enjoying the beta version a lot more, been playing a bunch the last few weeks. Spiritualist ethos feels really busted, I've done slaves and currently doing egalitarian and both are pretty absurd because of how strong temples are and how easy it is to please the huge spiritualist faction you inevitably get. Finished all of the unity trees decades before even unlocking the unity edicts not even playing tall lol. Conversely, Militarist is really hard to deal with because the militarist factions are super fickle and depend on very specific circumstances (i.e. having rear end in a top hat neighbors that can actually keep up with you so you can keep them as rivals)

Things are moving in the right direction, but Stellaris still needs:

1) Better, bigger energy dumps in the mid/late game. Playing smart means you run a small energy surplus that never goes away and it's really hard to put that to use until you get replicators suuuuuper late. 3 cheap edicts and the tiny upkeep from enclaves is pretty much nothing. In my current game I bought so many art pieces they stopped selling them to me lol
2) A building that converts food into energy (if number 1 is fixed). The A.I. loving loves building farms, let us put that to use!
3) Claims mapmode. Holy poo poo please.
4) Make ascension perks like the megastructures and colossus more than just a luxury that you do when you are loving around and not ending the game despite being way far ahead. Building ringworlds and habitats should be a midgame alternative to terraforming or cyborg/psy/genetic ascension with their own pros and cons. Buff the generic perks to be more like world shaper and mastery of nature: very powerful unique perks good for very specific circumstances but not something you want every game.
5) Honestly, the domination and diplomacy trees kinda suck. They are hyper focused and often the perks aren't terribly useful. Diplomacy especially, I've had many games where I would have loved to be a federation builder but literally the whole galaxy is hegemonic imperialists or slavers lol. Vassals and Federations should probably be made into ascension perks with little bonuses and the trees be replaced with something else entirely.

Firebert fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 11, 2018

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Any workaround for the bug where you can't upgrade or retrofit some of your ships? I've been building everything via reinforcing my templates but I've still ended up with a bunch of corvettes and cruisers that refuse to be upgraded.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mr. Fix It posted:

Any workaround for the bug where you can't upgrade or retrofit some of your ships? I've been building everything via reinforcing my templates but I've still ended up with a bunch of corvettes and cruisers that refuse to be upgraded.

make a new template with room for your currently bugged fleet, plus an extra ship or two. reinforce it with just one or two ships from the manager to bring it into existence. put an admiral on the new fleet, make sure the old fleet has no admiral, merge. the old, broken template will cease to exist and the ships should properly recognize that they aren't fitted correctly and need an upgrade.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Is the War in Heaven still busted and if so how? I am in a Federation spanning basically the whole galaxy and I have both a Xenophobe and a Xenophile FE. A War in Heaven seems...likely so I wanna know what to expect.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

DatonKallandor posted:

What it really can't handle for whatever reason is to stop building loving farms. It doesn't just overpopulate and overbuild farms a little bit, it does it a ridiculously excessive degree.

Current game:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uh, so I'm kicking my neighbours asses, but unfortunately my ships leave behind all sorts of high tech debris. Should I have a science ship following up to clean up any debris I dont want falling into the wrong hands or does the AI not use/care?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is the War in Heaven still busted and if so how? I am in a Federation spanning basically the whole galaxy and I have both a Xenophobe and a Xenophile FE. A War in Heaven seems...likely so I wanna know what to expect.

Hard to say from my experience. In one of my games it kicked off without incident and seemed to work well as a Total War, though there was some oddity at the end where all the vassals of the FEs were transferred to me but I was still at war with them. In my other game two FEs woke up and I got some dialogue about them being ancient rivals, but another AI empire declared war on the Xenophobe FE and trashed them pretty badly, and the War in Heaven never kicked off. After a few years I got tired of waiting and conquered the other one.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Uh, so I'm kicking my neighbours asses, but unfortunately my ships leave behind all sorts of high tech debris. Should I have a science ship following up to clean up any debris I dont want falling into the wrong hands or does the AI not use/care?

That's what the enigmatic engineering perk is for. And yeah pretty sure they'll hoover up all your poo poo.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I took over some planets and assimilated their species. How do I build armies out of them? I go to the army tab but there's no option.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Nuebot posted:

So I took over some planets and assimilated their species. How do I build armies out of them? I go to the army tab but there's no option.

You might have to go into species rights and allow military service.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Game pls. It's gonna a be a real pain but maybe getting early jump drives are worth having this rear end in a top hat next door.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

This game could is a better influence economy.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

I've been thinking about how subjugation wars involving allies could work better. If the targeted empire is completely occupied by the attacker then a timer starts, maybe a couple years. Once that timer is up, if the target's allies haven't taken back any systems whatsoever then the attacker gets to force victory because at that point the allies have demonstrated that they are either unable or unwilling to help the target actually resist being subjugated. Maybe afterwards give the former allies a liberation casus belli.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Gobblecoque posted:

I've been thinking about how subjugation wars involving allies could work better. If the targeted empire is completely occupied by the attacker then a timer starts, maybe a couple years. Once that timer is up, if the target's allies haven't taken back any systems whatsoever then the attacker gets to force victory because at that point the allies have demonstrated that they are either unable or unwilling to help the target actually resist being subjugated. Maybe afterwards give the former allies a liberation casus belli.

They just need a ticking warscore EU4 style for the more objective-based wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oops. Took a neighbor's system with a wormhole in it. I haven't even researched the wormhole tech but apparently it goes across the map to a FE's territory cause now they are piiiiiised.

Might have to release this system and let them fend for themselves.

E: Oh that requires a different tradition tree. Fuuuuuck. Maybe my neighbors want the system back. Don't, uh, don't mind the black sites, guys.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 11, 2018