Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I cannot recall a single great stylist of any merit who was widely praised for writing the exact same sentence every time

Hyperbole. There are grammatical similarities in similar passages of prose doing similar things at similar stages of the story, because that's how he writes, his 'style'. Which you don't like, and I'm not that mad about myself. But, while I'm all agog for the searing revelations that BOTL is even now preparing for us about Kay's hackdom, this isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Online discussions of genre novels tend to start from the assumption that such works are bad and thus must be justified.

this subforum is about 98% devoted to (positive) discussion of genre novels. the only places they get poo poo on are the one single literature thread, and (once in a while) the general discussion thread. even in the latter, they're far more often recommended than made fun of.

so that's just untrue, innit? it sounds like exactly the kind of insecurity that i touched on and that mel went into more detail about.

quote:

were there actually people who disagreed with his critique of GRRM, pretty much everybody here hates GRRM and has for longer than I've been modding the forum, and I suspect the general GRRM thread consensus would agree with literally anything you could possibly say negative about the man

i don't actually remember, but if you'd like i can sub out GRRM for any of the other dozen authors BotL's discussed

quote:

Is that seriously a thing creative writing courses do?

yes

quote:

It sounds mega-dumb

it does, doesn't it?

quote:

"Legitimate" isn't a question I'd pose; I'm not interested in that kind of gate-keeping. For purposes of discussion in this forum the useful question is usually "why should I, a random reader of this post, read or not read this book they're talking about", and that's a question with a two sided answer -- merits and flaws. If you don't address both, you've not really answered the question. It's not some dumb 1 for 1 thing it's about giving an accurate picture of the work.

this is nonsense. it is not common practice on this forum or anywhere else to enumerate thoroughly the virtues and flaws of any work when recommending it (or when doing the opposite), nor should it be. it's okay to say "this sucks rear end and here's why" without being obliged to reluctantly cram in a bunch of positive traits. this is especially true in a thread which, alone amongst the threads in TBB, is not only dedicated to saying that genre fiction sucks but to doing so in a clear, explicit, and thorough fashion.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 11, 2018

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What I'm saying is that Kay is a loving hack
lmao i'm catching up on missed posts and just got to here and i'm so excited. tigana was my absolute favourite book when i was 15, i wept like a fool reading it for the first time, then about ten years later i decided to reread it and, well

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
i really liked the three lords right at the start and got the momentum to read the whole thing the first time hoping they'd somehow come back to life and become the protagonists again, when they didn't it damaged my reread value a lot, on top of the book being really bad obviously

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
all i can actually remember of it apart from that is the only relatable character killing herself at the end and also one character says to another one "you are the harbour of my soul's voyaging"

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
OH and the incest lol, my version had an author note at the start that said "people from dispossessed cultures often engage in incest!" which at 15 i took as gospel truth and it made me frankly deranged in my sexuality

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
sorry all, i'm listening to jim croce and it's making me emotional

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
since making that first post i've read through the intervening four pages and let me tell you: there is not a man posting in this forum that deserves the breath of life

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe someone made an "it's his style!" defence of Guy Gavriel Kay.

Of course he's got a loving style, that's why I posted examples of it. What I'm pointing out is that his style involves mentally enervating repetition. Renowned author Guy Gavriel Kay stumbled his way through a stock character introduction.

rear end frog posted:

lmao i'm catching up on missed posts and just got to here and i'm so excited. tigana was my absolute favourite book when i was 15, i wept like a fool reading it for the first time, then about ten years later i decided to reread it and, well

I wasn't actually planning to cover Tigana, but I'll mention it - just for you in thanks of that accurate description of reading Tigana.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 11, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Both. Novels involve types, picking from a modest and comprehensible array of human motivations. The artistry comes from how they are deployed and subverted.

bit of a reductive view of the novel innit, are you from 1901 or something?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

rear end frog posted:

since making that first post i've read through the intervening four pages and let me tell you: there is not a man posting in this forum that deserves the breath of life

You have my sword, rear end frog.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

rear end frog posted:

wisdom

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

rear end frog posted:

finally good sense

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe
until i was a grown man i kept thinking to myself "what if it's true? what if everyone around me really does want to gently caress their brothers because they've never set foot on the holy soil of israel?"

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am a devout post-structuralist so I hardly see that as a bad thing

stop the presses, this conversation is in language inappropriately plain and comprehensible. summon the serpents of confusion and sesquipedalian tergiversation into this Eden of meaningful communication!

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Neurosis posted:

stop the presses, this conversation is in language inappropriately plain and comprehensible. summon the serpents of confusion and sesquipedalian tergiversation into this Eden of meaningful communication!

Derrida's going to be pretty red faced if he reads this brutal takedown

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
while that post may be derisive of my rather well-worn complaint (and plagiarised metaphor), it has made me wish there were a world where the most influential philosophers from througohut history shitposted snarkily at each other over an internet forum.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Neurosis posted:

while that post may be derisive of my rather well-worn complaint (and plagiarised metaphor), it has made me wish there were a world where the most influential philosophers from througohut history shitposted snarkily at each other over an internet forum.

Personally it's made me wish for a world where you don't have access to an internet forum

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

A human heart posted:

Personally it's made me wish for a world where you don't have access to an internet forum

reeeeeowwwrrr

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

This is lame rear end compared to even other genre stuff like Viriconium, which has a much better killer who would like to be just a poet.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

While I cannot speak for BotL, one of the reasons I point out this criticism is that genre and the readers of genre tend to avoid any motivation to a level of higher aesthetic and artistic production by retreating into wholly subjective enjoyment. This is deeply frustrating for me because I want sci-fi and fantasy to be better, not simply insult it.

Take, for instance, Hemingway. Hemingway was terrible at creating women, and also not particularly skilled at creating believable dialog. In an academic setting, you can acknowledge these weaknesses of the text without feeling similarly obligated to defend the obvious merits of the work. There is no need to reinforce the majesty of For Whom the Bell Tolls if one wishes to speak as to its weaknesses. However, due to some sort of deep-seeded insecurity in the genre fan-base, you cannot focus on weaknesses in a text so explicitly without a demand for some kind of concession or mea culpa. Take, for instance, William Gibson who is just as terrible as Hemingway in writing women, and for much the same reasons. It seems that bringing up these weaknesses as inherent to the prose of Gibson to his fans often comes across as more controversial than doing the same to fans of Hemingway.

In essence, I sometimes feel genre fiction handicaps its own artistic growth by refusing to separate the wholly personal enjoyment of the text with a more detached critical eye towards the text itself.

big sff fan here, signing on with this

i like the culture books, and i liked botl's post arguing they are bad, quite a lot actually, the more sacred the text the better to burn

his negativity and refusal of subjectivist compromise are a salutary measure against the boosterism and self-absorption that have taken us on the devil's road to Ready Player One

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

sebmojo posted:

Hyperbole. There are grammatical similarities in similar passages of prose doing similar things at similar stages of the story, because that's how he writes, his 'style'.

You seem to have a tragically reductive definition of style

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

chernobyl kinsman posted:

so that's just untrue, innit? it sounds like exactly the kind of insecurity that i touched on and that mel went into more detail about.

I was referring more to general cultural perceptions. There's a general preconception that "fantasy" novels never go in the "literature" section in the store, for example. The division between "high" and "low" art, etc. If you're disputing that that separation even exists, I'm not sure how to have this conversation with you.

quote:

i don't actually remember, but if you'd like i can sub out GRRM for any of the other dozen authors BotL's discussed

Has BotL even discussed GRRM? Most of the time most people in this thread don't disagree with the main points he's making. He's generally not wrong, just one-sided.

quote:

this is nonsense. it is not common practice on this forum or anywhere else to enumerate thoroughly the virtues and flaws of any work when recommending it (or when doing the opposite), nor should it be. it's okay to say "this sucks rear end and here's why" without being obliged to reluctantly cram in a bunch of positive traits. this is especially true in a thread which, alone amongst the threads in TBB, is not only dedicated to saying that genre fiction sucks but to doing so in a clear, explicit, and thorough fashion.

You may have missed my point on this since I added it in an edit, but that's where the adversarial nature of a discussion forum comes in. One person says they don't like a book for X reasons, another says they did for Y, an overall picture emerges. So, for example, BotL's critiques are helpful even if one-sided.

This is lame rear end compared to even other genre stuff like Viriconium, which has a much better killer who would like to be just a poet.

Ehh, that's a subjective statement of opinion.

Viriconium has great passages but suffers from the same "incoherence: it's what's for dinner" problem that the Book of the New Sun and Gormenghast fall into (though in the case of Gormenghast the author had the excuse of illness). Depends on what you're reading for.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

I was referring more to general cultural perceptions. There's a general preconception that "fantasy" novels never go in the "literature" section in the store, for example. The division between "high" and "low" art, etc. If you're disputing that that separation even exists, I'm not sure how to have this conversation with you.

The problem though is that genre fans seem to simultaneously want the privileges of literature without the consequences of it. Capital L literature is frequently dissected critically and part of the enduring appeal of a classic novel is the ability for the novel to be read in ways which speak to the contemporary experience of the reader. Furthermore, this critiques are almost never uniformly positive. You would be hard pressed to find a glowing Marxist appraisal of a novel.

If you want fantasy and sci-fi to be literature, you have to allow them to undergo the same critical treatment that literature receives, which in many cases comes down to the very things BotL and others are doing in this thread. Real actual god honest academic criticism is about looking at the text as text, not as a story. The end result is the bones of the novel left bleaching in the sun.

Perhaps academic and intellectual value can be found in the same material in which BotL is finding his ammunition. However, that value will not be found by ignoring or underplaying his criticism. A critical perspective of a novel is not a scale on which one side we place the positives and the other side the negatives and make a final declaration about whether it is good or not by seeing which side dips down. A novel is a cultural text, made up inherently of both the vices and virtues of the culture that it inhabits.

EDIT: For example, I make no secret of my love for Blackwater. If I were to give a Feminist or Queer Theory analysis of the text, it would generally be positive. However, if I gave it a Marxist or Black Studies analysis, it would be significantly more harsh. These readings are not binary or contradictory, they can exist within a single text without necessarily being at conflict with each other. That is the beauty of art.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 11, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This thread is everything I could've asked for.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It reminds me of all those internet people who were like "video games are art" for years and then suddenly got real mad when feminist theorists went "Ok, we will critique it as art"

ass frog
Feb 28, 2018

by Smythe

This thread is everything I could've asked for.
trash

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The problem though is that genre fans seem to simultaneously want the privileges of literature without the consequences of it.

Eh, you've got two groups of people here (that is, on the forum); one group wants to discuss books as literature, the other is just looking for something to read. There's some overlap between the two and ideally as many people as possible are participating in both, but there's always gonna be a subset of folks who see someone talking about (for example) why Tolkien is racist, and whose first reaction is to then scream "jesus gently caress SHUT UP, let me read my orc book." It's not so much that they're thinking about privileges or consequences; it's that they're wholly uninterested in that particular critical lens and see it as nothing more than trolling. So it takes some work to open up space for those discussions to happen (which is the positive aspect of this thread).

quote:

Capital L literature is frequently dissected critically and part of the enduring appeal of a classic novel is the ability for the novel to be read in ways which speak to the contemporary experience of the reader. Furthermore, this critiques are almost never uniformly positive. You would be hard pressed to find a glowing Marxist appraisal of a novel.

If you want fantasy and sci-fi to be literature, you have to allow them to undergo the same critical treatment that literature receives, which in many cases comes down to the very things BotL and others are doing in this thread. Real actual god honest academic criticism is about looking at the text as text, not as a story. The end result is the bones of the novel left bleaching in the sun.

Perhaps academic and intellectual value can be found in the same material in which BotL is finding his ammunition. However, that value will not be found by ignoring or underplaying his criticism. A critical perspective of a novel is not a scale on which one side we place the positives and the other side the negatives and make a final declaration about whether it is good or not by seeing which side dips down. A novel is a cultural text, made up inherently of both the vices and virtues of the culture that it inhabits.

EDIT: For example, I make no secret of my love for Blackwater. If I were to give a Feminist or Queer Theory analysis of the text, it would generally be positive. However, if I gave it a Marxist or Black Studies analysis, it would be significantly more harsh. These readings are not binary or contradictory, they can exist within a single text without necessarily being at conflict with each other. That is the beauty of art.

Sure. The one caveat I'd add though (well, not so much add as restate) is that this thread tends to confuse "critique" with "criticize": there's an assumption that to dissect is to destroy; all "genre" books are bad and it's just a matter of showing how. When you start from that assumption it leads to a myopic analysis, and depressing conclusions.

To take your example of Blackwater -- agreed. It's a great set of books, and has a lot of virtues. But I think it would be hard to write a credible feminist analysis that ignored the racial aspects of the text (and vice versa). Whichever critical lens you're using, you have to look at the whole text, not just the parts that are convenient to your analysis.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I get this, I really do, but I feel like what most people read sci-fi and fantasy novels for is often different.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So here you are talking about a feminist or queer theory analysis of Blackwater would be generally positive but a Marxist or Black Studies would not. There is to my knowledge no overall and official sci-fi/fantasy literary analysis style that's approved and even then we would probably need multiple not just for subgenre's but for what the different readers are looking for.

We had this discussion in the sci-fi and fantasy thread, where genre readers tend to place different values on these criteria than more literary readers.

Plot
World-Building
Characters
Prose

Personally I order it something like this Characters > Plot > World-Building >>> Prose. I was a bit shocked in the previous thread when I found how much value literary fans put on prose. Yes it matters to me and good prose can improve the book and awful awful prose can ruin it, but it makes a much smaller impact than the other factors for me.

Even within these very reductive groupings there are many things different readers would place priority on, lets take world-building. You have internal consistency, breath of ideas, real world parallels/political messaging. I find in literary works real world parallels tend to be the most focused on while in fantasy/sci-fi breath of idea's is often what's praised. So for instance to attack a novel with a brilliant and unique magic system you could attack why it has consistency problems, showing it's not brilliant, or compare it to other systems that did the same idea but better...and hopefully earlier as well.

I have no problem if you want to apply other literary critiques to SF/F novels, but for the most part they weren't being written with those goals in mind they had separate goals, and while many of the critiques such as the one of Kay earlier I think does apply and is a negative, okay...sure, but it's not a big deal or even a small deal to me as a SF/F reader. It's not even on the level of a thing I have to tolerate. That would not stick in my head after I'm done reading. Instead it will just poof into the wind, unless someone specifically asks me about it or brings it up. I assume this is in many reasons in part why BOTL tends to critique books who's fans prop their works up as literary greats, and mostly tends to ignore books where the fans fail to claim this. But even those books with more literary aspirations in SF/F are still often appealing to the genre fans first. Hieronymous Alloy's "every author has a weakness" definitely applies to, it just comes down to whether you or the analysis you are applying places high or any value on those weaknesses.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It's not so much that they're thinking about privileges or consequences; it's that they're wholly uninterested in that particular critical lens and see it as nothing more than trolling. So it takes some work to open up space for those discussions to happen (which is the positive aspect of this thread).

I guess where I differ from you is the tolerability of this behavior. People who somehow feel slighted at the idea of engaging with the text other than as a product to be consumed are loving dangerous. That's how we get totalitarianism.

quote:

To take your example of Blackwater -- agreed. It's a great set of books, and has a lot of virtues. But I think it would be hard to write a credible feminist analysis that ignored the racial aspects of the text (and vice versa). Whichever critical lens you're using, you have to look at the whole text, not just the parts that are convenient to your analysis.

The problem with this is that you are acting as if a critical analysis is an outcome. It's not. Its a toolkit. A feminist and black studies reading would intersect at the points in which they share tools and methods of analysis, but that doesn't mean that a critical reading must be exclusively holistic. A critical reading using a certain critical toolkit means engaging with the text within the conceptual parameters of the particular critical process.

Meaning, a feminist reading of a text is not insufficient because it fails to consider the novel holistically. A feminist reading means using the feminist toolkit of analysis on the text. That particular reading should not be seen as ultimate by any means. A serious reader does, and should, use a variety of toolkits when engaging with a text.

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

So here you are talking about a feminist or queer theory analysis of Blackwater would be generally positive but a Marxist or Black Studies would not. There is to my knowledge no overall and official sci-fi/fantasy literary analysis style that's approved and even then we would probably need multiple not just for subgenre's but for what the different readers are looking for.

We had this discussion in the sci-fi and fantasy thread, where genre readers tend to place different values on these criteria than more literary readers.

Plot
World-Building
Characters
Prose

Personally I order it something like this Characters > Plot > World-Building >>> Prose. I was a bit shocked in the previous thread when I found how much value literary fans put on prose. Yes it matters to me and good prose can improve the book and awful awful prose can ruin it, but it makes a much smaller impact than the other factors for me.

Even within these very reductive groupings there are many things different readers would place priority on, lets take world-building. You have internal consistency, breath of ideas, real world parallels/political messaging. I find in literary works real world parallels tend to be the most focused on while in fantasy/sci-fi breath of idea's is often what's praised. So for instance to attack a novel with a brilliant and unique magic system you could attack why it has consistency problems, showing it's not brilliant, or compare it to other systems that did the same idea but better...and hopefully earlier as well.

I have no problem if you want to apply other literary critiques to SF/F novels, but for the most part they weren't being written with those goals in mind they had separate goals, and while many of the critiques such as the one of Kay earlier I think does apply and is a negative, okay...sure, but it's not a big deal or even a small deal to me as a SF/F reader. It's not even on the level of a thing I have to tolerate. That would not stick in my head after I'm done reading. Instead it will just poof into the wind, unless someone specifically asks me about it or brings it up. I assume this is in many reasons in part why BOTL tends to critique books who's fans prop their works up as literary greats, and mostly tends to ignore books where the fans fail to claim this. But even those books with more literary aspirations in SF/F are still often appealing to the genre fans first. Hieronymous Alloy's "every author has a weakness" definitely applies to, it just comes down to whether you or the analysis you are applying places high or any value on those weaknesses.

There are two issues with this idea though.

First, criticism is not concerned with quality. Criticism is concerned with significance. The idea that critics tell you whether or not a book is "good" has more to do with our weird capitalist bastardization of the craft. Its why I have said before there is a difference between Ebert the reviewer and Ebert the critic. So, the notion that we should have a critical toolkit to determine whether something is good misses the point.

EDIT: To clarify, when I refer to a reading being positive or negative, I am not referring to a suggestion of quality or of enjoyment. I am referring to the text's significance to a certain perspective. A negative Marxist reading would not be "This is book is bad because..." but instead "This book upholds a traditional system of..."

Secondly, you seem to suggest that sci-fi/fantasy needs a different critical perspective from other texts. It doesn't. All text is applicable under all critical toolkits. You can do a Marxist reading of Cherryh as easily as a Marxist reading of Tolstoy. There is just as much opportunity for post-colonialist assessment in The Hobbit as in Heart of Darkness.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 12, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I guess where I differ from you is the tolerability of this behavior. People who somehow feel slighted at the idea of engaging with the text other than as a product to be consumed are loving dangerous. That's how we get totalitarianism.

Eh, it's the norm; critical analysis is the exception not the rule, and takes training and specialist knowledge. All we can do here is lead whores to culture.

quote:

The problem with this is that you are acting as if a critical analysis is an outcome. It's not. Its a toolkit. A feminist and black studies reading would intersect at the points in which they share tools and methods of analysis, but that doesn't mean that a critical reading must be exclusively holistic. A critical reading using a certain critical toolkit means engaging with the text within the conceptual parameters of the particular critical process.

Meaning, a feminist reading of a text is not insufficient because it fails to consider the novel holistically. A feminist reading means using the feminist toolkit of analysis on the text. That particular reading should not be seen as ultimate by any means. A serious reader does, and should, use a variety of toolkits when engaging with a text.

There's a medium-is-the-message issue there, though. There is a limit to the separation between the camera, the lens, and the photograph, etc.

That said I think we're disagreeing less than it might appear. If you would allow the substitution of the phrase "a good discussion" for "a serious reader" in the last quoted sentence there, I suspect we're in (roughly) the same place.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 12, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

That said I think we're disagreeing less than it might appear. If you would allow the substitution of the phrase "a good discussion" for "a serious reader" in the last quoted sentence there, I suspect we're in (roughly) the same place.

Well sure, a complete reading/discussion of a text requires the implementation of multiple critical perspectives, but isn't that the point of the thread?

Genre fiction considers "enjoyment" to be the sacred cow of the reading and seems to hold all critical analysis of the text as secondary to whether someone liked the book. The whole reason BotL and others come across as explicitly negative is because they are challenging the paradigm of pleasure as sacred. The focus is primarily negative as a challenge for genre readers to confront the text not as an object of consumption.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Mel Mudkiper posted:

First, criticism is not concerned with quality. Criticism is concerned with significance. The idea that critics tell you whether or not a book is "good" has more to do with our weird capitalist bastardization of the craft. Its why I have said before there is a difference between Ebert the reviewer and Ebert the critic. So, the notion that we should have a critical toolkit to determine whether something is good misses the point.

EDIT: To clarify, when I refer to a reading being positive or negative, I am not referring to a suggestion of quality or of enjoyment. I am referring to the text's significance to a certain perspective. A negative Marxist reading would not be "This is book is bad because..." but instead "This book upholds a traditional system of..."

Secondly, you seem to suggest that sci-fi/fantasy needs a different critical perspective from other texts. It doesn't. All text is applicable under all critical toolkits. You can do a Marxist reading of Cherryh as easily as a Marxist reading of Tolstoy. There is just as much opportunity for post-colonialist assessment in The Hobbit as in Heart of Darkness.

Critiquing is inherently looking at the quality of a work by analyzing and judging it's merits and faults. But yes, quality is subjective and the different critical perspectives are different lenses that can be applied to provide different insight, and there are perspectives that are outside of the generally accepted critical ones. Like is the point you are making here that a critical perspective is always from a specific lens and thus should in theory be exactly the same no matter who does the analysis, but quality is determined by your own personal lens? Because the primary reason why I can see you looking at a book through a critical lens of a certain fashion is because that one tints your own or possibly because you want to poo poo on fans who constantly hold their book up as supporting X, but when looked through critical lenses close to that ideal it fails to hold up. I have seen BOTL do this multiple times he appears to try to pick the lens that most fits with what the fans are praising the book for.

The issue I have is while yes you can critique the works of sci-fi/fantasy along traditional lines is that the analysis will often be of low value to the actual readers of the genre. Then when average fan tries to attack back they often don't realize even what lens they are supposed to be looking through or more common that they even should be using a different lens. So it's fine but it's basically worthless to genre fans, and only useful to people who care about whatever perspective you analysed the work from.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

A serious reader does, and should, use a variety of toolkits when engaging with a text.

This seems to be in support of more toolkits rather than keeping the same amount of toolkits. I understand why more *insert genre* literary criticism methods don't exist, but I'm saying that their lack of existence doesn't mean that they wouldn't be a more appropriate criticism of a work. Of course I know this is where reviewers step in, but those are like you said earlier, different.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Plot
World-Building
Characters
Prose

This is one of the principal divides between "genre" and "literary" fiction, but I think it goes further than this in that genre readers have a different idea of what prose is for. The common genre reader mindset being that the purpose of prose is primarily to describe the things that happen and what things look like, and that its artlessness is tolerable or even welcome.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Well sure, a complete reading/discussion of a text requires the implementation of multiple critical perspectives, but isn't that the point of the thread?

Yes! But it's also why people tend to yell at BotL. It's part and parcel. Controversy leads to analysis, etc.

quote:

Genre fiction considers "enjoyment" to be the sacred cow of the reading and seems to hold all critical analysis of the text as secondary to whether someone liked the book. The whole reason BotL and others come across as explicitly negative is because they are challenging the paradigm of pleasure as sacred. The focus is primarily negative as a challenge for genre readers to confront the text not as an object of consumption.

I think "enjoyment" is worth considering in the same way that any other evaluative lens is. Often it's also more interesting and challenging to discuss -- for example, "Is Tolkien Racist" (answer: "yes, but . . .") is often just less interesting to talk about than it might be to discuss why the daydreams of a professor of Anglo-Saxon have spread to so many millions of other daydreamers. Ideally, of course, discussion of each of those angles can complement the other; it's not an either/or dichotomy but a both/and.

I keep meaning to reference The Monsters and the Critics in this thread but keep forgetting to do so, so I'll just lob the cite into the ring, like a grenado:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf:_The_Monsters_and_the_Critics .

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

. Of course I know this is where reviewers step in, but those are like you said earlier, different.

I feel like I want to think more on this point before responding but my initial hot take is "we are not so different, you and I": I'm not sure the line can be drawn that neatly between analysis and review, partly because :capitalism: and partly because humans are by nature partisan and it's virtually impossible for most people to clinically separate "this is my evaluation of a work from a perspective" and "therefore said work is either good or bad." That's not how people think or work or talk or act; people are partisan by nature, inevitably. To analyze is to judge.

Even if a theoretical analyst could write a theoretically nonjudgmental analysis of a given work, the first person to read it would read it as a judgment, either positive or negative.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 12, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I think "enjoyment" is worth considering in the same way that any other evaluative lens is. Often it's also more interesting and challenging to discuss -- for example, "Is Tolkien Racist" (answer: "yes, but . . .") is often just less interesting to talk about than it might be to discuss why the daydreams of a professor of Anglo-Saxon have spread to so many millions of other daydreamers.

Wait until my review that will settle the question (spoiler: it's the sexlessness).

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Wait until my review that will settle the question (spoiler: it's the sexlessness).

My inclination is to assume that LotR is popular in spite of its sexlessness. Hence the movies moving the Arwen/Aragorn romance from the appendices to the main story.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Silver2195 posted:

My inclination is to assume that LotR is popular in spite of its sexlessness. Hence the movies moving the Arwen/Aragorn romance from the appendices to the main story.

No. The sexlessness is the show.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

This seems to be in support of more toolkits rather than keeping the same amount of toolkits. I understand why more *insert genre* literary criticism methods don't exist, but I'm saying that their lack of existence doesn't mean that they wouldn't be a more appropriate criticism of a work. Of course I know this is where reviewers step in, but those are like you said earlier, different.

I am not quite sure how someone creates a genre-focused critical method that doesn't end up being a way to justify preference

Like, how would someone use a genre methodology to examine things which aren't explicitly in the genre?

Silver2195 posted:

Romance can very much be sexless. Hell, the vast majority of what passes for romantic storytelling is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Like, how would someone use a genre methodology to examine things which aren't explicitly in the genre?

https://www.amazon.com/Thousand-Faces-Collected-Joseph-Campbell/dp/1577315936