Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Snowman_McK posted:

I don't get this joke but I want to.

Guessing, but: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ7z57qrZU8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's from Dune. You need to "Walk without Rythm" to avoid angering the sandworms.

Or did I miss :thejoke: ?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

I'm reminded of the old D&D plot hook; sandworms are attracted to movement without rhythm, entire country becomes a 24/7 synchronised dance number.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!

Dinosaurs! posted:

No you'll never make a sandworm out of me!

Actually this clearly proves what we really need is a Dune Broadway musical.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

basic hitler posted:

I'll go over Dune a few times over:

Whenever someone lays out the concepts of Dune I find them fascinating and evocative, but I slogged my way through the first book thinking "this is real interesting" but being turned off by how Herbert writes. That's why adaptations of Dune get me thirsty.

Man, the miniseries. First one had such awful costumes, lots of actors who just spoke English phonetically, and some tits, but was weirdly faithful to the book. Then the second one has James loving McAvoy and other good actors, way better effects, an amazing soundtrack, but the story's just this strange intermezzo ahead of more interesting events.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Whenever someone lays out the concepts of Dune I find them fascinating and evocative, but I slogged my way through the first book thinking "this is real interesting" but being turned off by how Herbert writes. That's why adaptations of Dune get me thirsty.

Man, the miniseries. First one had such awful costumes, lots of actors who just spoke English phonetically, and some tits, but was weirdly faithful to the book. Then the second one has James loving McAvoy and other good actors, way better effects, an amazing soundtrack, but the story's just this strange intermezzo ahead of more interesting events.

Part of me wants a new Dune film to just skip the first three books, go straight to God Emperor Of Dune, and treat the Lynch film and the Syfy series as both canon (with stuff like Kyle Maclachlan showing up as the blinded Paul from Dune Messiah and Alicia Witt reprising her role as Alia in flashback but with James McAvoy as a sandworm), given the distance God Emperor in time is from the events of those books. Just start the whole thing from Duncan Idaho being ghola-ed and introduced to the Leto II era.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I learned everything I need to know about Dune from that Fatboy Slim song and the Dune 2 RTS from like 1992.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Young Freud posted:

Part of me wants a new Dune film to just skip the first three books, go straight to God Emperor Of Dune, and treat the Lynch film and the Syfy series as both canon (with stuff like Kyle Maclachlan showing up as the blinded Paul from Dune Messiah and Alicia Witt reprising her role as Alia in flashback but with James McAvoy as a sandworm), given the distance God Emperor in time is from the events of those books. Just start the whole thing from Duncan Idaho being ghola-ed and introduced to the Leto II era.

Can Toto do the soundtrack? Are they still alive?

Time to take a break from the library and read Dune again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Beachcomber posted:

Mostly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
I bless the rains down in Arrakis

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still want someone to do that Galactic Longshot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhQbsy72IgI

The Amiga game by Cryo attempted it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt8Ra5N1Ghs&t=20s

also my online nickname was Carthag Tuek for like 20 years lol

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Krankenstyle posted:

Did you have a hosed up hairdo in real life to go along with it?

(the game had like 4 different looking Fremen and used different haircuts and facial hair to give them more variety. it being based on a sci-fi franchise meant they got really weird with it.)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yea in 03-ish I had half-hair (left side shaved, "normal" on the right)

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Inescapable Duck posted:

I bless the rains down in Arrakis

Slowly, boy, the blade slips through the shield!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bad day posted:

That IS bad because the promotional budget typically matches the production budget - so a $185 million picture needs to make at least $300 million to break even.

Ticket sales aren't the studios' only profit source, though. Hell, they're not even their main profit source any more - the real cash comes in way down the line from home media sales and licencing and all that poo poo. It might take several months or even several years but even a badly performing movie will eventually break even.

But the industry magazines and websites need to post articles about whether a film :airquote:breaks even:airquote: while it's still newsworthy so they still report box office receipts on a daily basis like it's still 1930 or something because that's all they can do. No one gives a poo poo if Transformers: The Last Knight had moderate bluray sales 8 months after it left cinemas, an editor can't get a juicy headline out of that.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

Drive without rhythm to avoid the worm.

Solid.

Maybe we can get Fatboy Slim to throw a score together.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The most annoying thing relating to BR 2049 was how the Forbes movie writer kept describing it as a "tone poem" every time he wrote about it. A "tone poem" is a specific thing in 20th century music. It means something. It's not a phrase you just throw out to make yourself look clever. :colbert:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The most annoying thing relating to BR 2049 was how the Forbes movie writer kept describing it as a "tone poem" every time he wrote about it. A "tone poem" is a specific thing in 20th century music. It means something. It's not a phrase you just throw out to make yourself look clever. :colbert:

"Tone poem" is absolutely a thing in film; it refers to movies that are driven by their imagery and sound, rather than dialogue and narrative. It has its roots in the 1920s French pure cinema movement, and it can certainly apply to BR2049.

Beachcomber posted:

They're still kicking in some permutation or another (I think they're actually on tour at the moment), but they fired Bobby Kimball again so their vocals suck.

Timby fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 11, 2018

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Timby posted:

They're still kicking in some permutation or another (I think they're actually on tour at the moment), but they fired Bobby Kimball again so their vocals suck.

They haven't been the same since their drummer died in a gardening accident.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

"Tone poem" is absolutely a thing in film; it refers to movies that are driven by their imagery and sound, rather than dialogue and narrative. It has its roots in the 1920s French pure cinema movement, and it can certainly apply to BR2049.

Fair enough. I've only ever heard it used in connection with orchestral music.

quote:

Is Joseph Williams back with them now?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

This is Canon.

P.S. thanks for the Dune feedback guys. One of my take aways is, it's a challenging film to make, it requires a good sense on how to translate the book/language to the big screen, requires investment and is a challenge to film makers so there's a desire for some to push themselves in making it well.

One thing that is blurring for me is, while you have a director who establishes shots, actors, etc. and is meant to guide the overall film production and lead a vision to reality, it feels like the cinematographer has nearly as much input into the visual look of the film. Especially with a guy like Deakins. It's like there's two directors. And in addition to that, while there's storyboarding, the CG artists have to play into that mix as well. When you have 2nd or 3rd units like in the Avengers, those shots or scenes that are CG intense are obvious not the product of Whedon because they're more dynamic. I really have to think at some point they're going to have to get higher credit cause all big money making films lean on them but they're shunted to some special off TV award show.

And then you can make a film yet another way in the editing room by cutting it entirely different.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 11, 2018

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Krankenstyle posted:

The Amiga game by Cryo attempted it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt8Ra5N1Ghs&t=20s

I grabbed the game off an abandonware site, and that's what got me to read the novel. Cryo must have lost the license because Westwood made the next few games. Cryo made Lost Eden which is largely the same game, just with dinosaurs. It's fun but dumbed down quite a bit. Cryo got the license back around 2000, and released another game that sold really badly and ended the company.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Valerian is an example of a genuine anti-hero. This is why people frame their complaints as Valerian failing to meet some standard, like the usual suggestion that they should have cast someone with more "charisma". What they're saying is that they, as viewers, would accept Valerian being a bad person if he was "charming" enough. The secret to most anti-heroes is that they tend to satisfy viewers by providing some catharsis through transgression. But with Valerian they're forced to view the anti-hero objectively and see him for what he is.

That would require DeHaan leaving an impression on you with his performance, but he doesn't quite manage that. He's very anonymous in a role that should leave the audience with some strong opinions. I think the reason why people tend to just ascribe various tropes or stock characterizations to him is less out of laziness and more because DeHaan's performance gives them little to work with. Billy West does a much better job with similar material as Zapp Brannigan.

Maxwell Lord posted:

See to me it's less anti-hero as it is a kind of anti-naturalism. It's very much aware of the reality of Valerian and Laurenlai as fictional characters- as archetypes of the "Yeah they fight a lot and he's irresponsible but you know they're gonna settle down" dynamic, rather than as flesh and blood people. The same way we're not really supposed to think of Barbarella, or the Man With No Name, or John Steed and Emma Peel as 3-D characters but as types, players.

In some ways the romance is made more external than internal- Valerian meets a woman who seems to embody every fantasy but of course is just playing them out because she's trapped, Laurenlai gets "hooked" and thrown into a white dress and goes through a wedding-esque ritual that turns out to be something much worse, in the end they come back together, and all this takes place against the backdrop of the real story. It takes the expected "love interest" in stories like this and treats that as comedy.

The romance is all very performative. For instance, Rhianna's relationship advice boils down to performing vulnerability. Whether Valerian actually has genuine affection for Laureline is besides the point, it's that he learns to properly perform that affection. That sounds more nihilistic or sociopathic than it really is; Valerian's just a very superficial person.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

pospysyl posted:

That would require DeHaan leaving an impression on you with his performance, but he doesn't quite manage that. He's very anonymous in a role that should leave the audience with some strong opinions. I think the reason why people tend to just ascribe various tropes or stock characterizations to him is less out of laziness and more because DeHaan's performance gives them little to work with. Billy West does a much better job with similar material as Zapp Brannigan.

On the contrary, people have voiced very extreme opinions of DeHaan's performance, often commenting on what a creep or rear end in a top hat his character seems to be.

This is the result of the character being flawed without being charming. Valerian is a decent depiction of an average terrible person.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 11, 2018

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Casimir Radon posted:

I grabbed the game off an abandonware site, and that's what got me to read the novel. Cryo must have lost the license because Westwood made the next few games. Cryo made Lost Eden which is largely the same game, just with dinosaurs. It's fun but dumbed down quite a bit. Cryo got the license back around 2000, and released another game that sold really badly and ended the company.

It's also worth noting that the game, in all non-floppy versions, has an excellent score, which was released as an album called "Dune: Spice Opera". The contract the composer worked under means she can't ever re-release it, but should you happen to find it somewhere, give it a listen. It's fantastic work.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Gatts posted:

This is Canon.

P.S. thanks for the Dune feedback guys. One of my take aways is, it's a challenging film to make, it requires a good sense on how to translate the book/language to the big screen, requires investment and is a challenge to film makers so there's a desire for some to push themselves in making it well.

I grew up with the Dune movie thinking it was pretty good but kind of bad as a film but I've grown to have more respect for it in terms of making something impossible happen. It's got a complex web of internal motivations and Lynch just goes "hell with it" and voices internal thoughts. It comes across as clumsy but it prevents the movie of being robbed of tons of complexity. And then he adds lots of strange things that enhance the story, like crazy eyebrows to visually link the mentats or weirding modules to convey making an unbeatable fighting force instead of relying on choreography.

In a lot of ways I wish they'd keep to those choices because they're so good at solving the problems of translation. It's that or a pervasive Irulan voiceover ala theatrical Blade Runner.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

END ME SCOOB posted:

It's also worth noting that the game, in all non-floppy versions, has an excellent score, which was released as an album called "Dune: Spice Opera". The contract the composer worked under means she can't ever re-release it, but should you happen to find it somewhere, give it a listen. It's fantastic work.
Stéphane Picq is actually a guy. But yeah, Spice Opera is great, it's in my rotation to listen to at work. Chani's Eyes is my favorite.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Black Panther passed a billion this weekend and then some; I think we might see it beat both of the Avengers to become the highest-grossing Marvel movie, but it's at the very least on-track to becoming the highest-grossing non-Avengers Marvel movie.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Are we still on track for Blockbuster Fatigue 2018™?

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Samuel Clemens posted:

I could see Infinity War seriously underperforming, yeah.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Samuel Clemens posted:

No I think Avengers Infinity War at low end of expectations might be just as good as the previous Avengers but I'm guessing they're really hoping it consumes the universe in a black hole of money.

It's a Marvel movie, and they've got a good brand going. This is the culmination of everything. I think it'll do very well. Now, after? Maybe it peters a bit. I'm not as much sure of Avengers 4: Infinity Harder but that depends on this one's cliffhanger.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hereby predict and proclaim that Inifinity War will not make as much money as Black Panther

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ticket sales aren't the studios' only profit source, though. Hell, they're not even their main profit source any more - the real cash comes in way down the line from home media sales and licencing and all that poo poo. It might take several months or even several years but even a badly performing movie will eventually break even.

But the industry magazines and websites need to post articles about whether a film :airquote:breaks even:airquote: while it's still newsworthy so they still report box office receipts on a daily basis like it's still 1930 or something because that's all they can do. No one gives a poo poo if Transformers: The Last Knight had moderate bluray sales 8 months after it left cinemas, an editor can't get a juicy headline out of that.

I’m sure there are a bunch of movie execs lining up so they can “eventually break even.”

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I hereby predict and proclaim that Inifinity War will not make as much money as Black Panther

Pretty safe bet, since “more than” does not equal “as much as”.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phylodox posted:

Pretty safe bet, since “more than” does not equal “as much as”.

I hereby proclaim and predict and prognosticate Infinity War will gross less than Black Panther.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

how infinity war does could be interesting because it's the culmination of years and years of post-credits scenes building up to a movie that doesn't seem any different from anything else marvel has put out and who knows if normies care as much about this big meta build-up to thanos as internet people do

guess we'll see how the box office responds to a cast as insanely bloated as this one, cause that's the only real selling point i can see if you don't already know what an infinity gauntlet is

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It was kind of a trip that when I went to see Black Panther four out of the five trailers started with the Marvel logo. The fifth was the trailer for Solo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Infinity War will gross less domestic but more worldwide than BP.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Considering how the comics version of Infinity War goes I can see a lot of people freaking out when everyone fails miserably and dies because Thanos is literally God now.

Gatts posted:

No I think Avengers Infinity War at low end of expectations might be just as good as the previous Avengers but I'm guessing they're really hoping it consumes the universe in a black hole of money.

It's a Marvel movie, and they've got a good brand going. This is the culmination of everything. I think it'll do very well. Now, after? Maybe it peters a bit. I'm not as much sure of Avengers 4: Infinity Harder but that depends on this one's cliffhanger.

Where do they even go after this? Infinity Gauntlet is like Marvels biggest story arc and a bunch of their actors are getting really tired of/too old to play their parts anymore. I've heard rumors that they were planning a big continuity reset after IW but what exactly could they come up with now that could possibly hold a candle to the last 10 years of buildup and anticipation?

Fart City posted:

It was kind of a trip that when I went to see Black Panther four out of the five trailers started with the Marvel logo. The fifth was the trailer for Solo.

At the risk of invoking CineD's hateboner for RLM, their prediction that theater chains are slowly devolving into Disney showrooms is looking more and more likely every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Unless Rampage is a surprise mega hit, Infinity War will do fine. The movies to keep an eye on are Solo and Deadpool 2. One of those is doomed and I'm guessing it's Deadpool.