Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

You could, sure. You can do it in MWO, too, it's just really bad because lol no armor

If you use one of the JM7s as a base you can get decent armor on this terrible idea. They're 5 tons heavier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gwaihir posted:

You could, sure. You can do it in MWO, too, it's just really bad because lol no armor

you misspelt amazing

I think it needs an XL which is terrible in its own special way, but I seem to remember you can give it full armour.

fake edit after quick google: you have to shave the legs a bit (though why on earth you'd put 20 armour on the back is beyond me)

ee: enough mwo chat, sorry

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 11, 2018

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

"Let's put an XL Engine in this slow, fragile mech so it can mount extra guns" is how they wrote most of TRO:3050, btw

Orders are in, going to move my Gurkha to 0705 to set up for my next attack run. Nyx is coming north as fast as it can.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

"Let's put an XL Engine in this slow, fragile mech so it can mount extra guns" is how they wrote most of TRO:3050, btw

Orders are in, going to move my Gurkha to 0705 to set up for my next attack run. Nyx is coming north as fast as it can.

It's a reasonable idea if those extra guns are something more on the lines of LB-10X and PPCs rather than extra close range punch.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Its a fine plan for fire support for sure. It's just kinda... the ONLY idea for the upgrades in that book.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Defiance Industries posted:

Its a fine plan for fire support for sure. It's just kinda... the ONLY idea for the upgrades in that book.

In a fluff sense I do like how derpy some of the upgrades are though

"Let's put in an XL engine and upgrade to [ERLL/ERPPC/LPL]...but let's keep the single heat sinks. Nothing can go wrong."

Like it consistently feels like they haven't figured out how all the tech works together yet, which is frustrating for gameplay but cool for fiction purposes.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
A fair bit of that is due to how 'Mechs were getting upgraded in the 3050s. The Federated Commonwealth took in (the fake) Thomas Marik's son Joshua Marik for leukemia treatment at the NAIS in exchange for "field upgrade kits" for common BattleMechs.

So most of those kits were: "Here's the schematics for swapping all the armor to Ferro-Fibrous Armor and the weight/balance data necessary to keep the 'Mech from falling over when you rip out the PPC and replace it with the ER model and slap a medium laser in the other arm."

Edit: In other words, Thomas Halas may have been making a good-faith effort, but the factories in Regulus were far more interested in pushing their cavalry trebuchets up to 6/9 than they were in arming Lyrans or Davions.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 11, 2018

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
boom jaeger is totally doable with a standard even. You just end up being slow, but scary to the anyone that happens to find you around a corner. got a kodiak to freak out once and whiff any chance of doing something because taking 40 mwo damage to the ct spooked him that bad.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Grognan posted:

boom jaeger is totally doable with a standard even. You just end up being slow, but scary to the anyone that happens to find you around a corner. got a kodiak to freak out once and whiff any chance of doing something because taking 40 mwo damage to the ct spooked him that bad.
Boom Cat is better if you ask me. The guns are torso mounted in a central location so it is much much easier to concentrate your AC/20 shots. Or least it was 3 years ago, heh. Also you can save weight on arm armor, by not having any.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Neither design is particularly good in tabletop.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PoptartsNinja posted:

Neither design is particularly good in tabletop.
For sure; that discussion is an MWO specific one :v:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Another thing to have to consider is that quite a few of these upgrades were meant for field or maintenance bay installation, not for factory refitting. The book Interstellar Operations goes into great detail over what changes you can make to a Battlemech with what facilities at hand, and some of the more extensive changes (such as ripping out the engine to replace with an XL model, getting your mech an Endosteel skeleton, or replacing all its heatsinks with double strength ones) requires you to actually take it to a proper factory setting so they can spend weeks taking your 'Mech apart and rebuilding them essentially from the ground up. Compare that for the relatively simple changes of 'Replace the AC/10 with an LBX and make room for an extra ton of ammo' that you can do in the field or a Mechbay and factor in the Clan assault going on and you can see why some of the upgrades are slapdash.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hitting 30 heat unassisted. There isn't a saluting emote but: goonspeed, sirrah.

Edit: Now to do that to everyone else :unsmigghh:

There is technically a limit to the amount of IIW ammo I can fire. But, uh. I can't think of many 'Mechs that devote as much tonnage to ammo as the Osteon does.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 11, 2018

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think the Nightstar has 7 tons of Gauss rounds?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Osteon Prime is 15% ammunition by weight.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

While that is an absolute shitload, having four iATMs and lots of ammo types makes me feel like that is actually less weird than needing 56 shots for two Gauss rifles.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Nightstar is a bodyguard and a counter-guerilla, it's intended to remain active while the Marauder II it's protecting reloads and/or the officers eat / take a poo poo / have tea ceremony / check their stocks / etc.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Aeaea 14

One of the Timber Wolves collapsed in a burning heap and exploded as its SRM ammo detonated. The ‘Mech fell still and lifeless as seemingly the whole of its electrical system caught fire. Major Harendra watched it through the fire and smoke that threatened to do the same to his own Wolverine. The clinging incendiary gel wouldn’t cause significant damage to the ‘Mech’s exterior, but the heat in his cockpit was nigh unbearable. Tongues of flame licked at the transplex canopy, and his life support system had gone to the internal compressed oxygen tanks rather than trying to filter out the smoke. Stored next to the fusion engine, the internal tanks offered no relief from the sweltering heat.

“drat—drat. They’re going to cook us alive.” He hardly cared that his target had fled. It was cowardly, but it preserved the machine for the next battle. The enemy was conscious of combat losses—that was exploitable, but the Wolverines couldn’t afford many pyrrhic victories.

“Hit them hard,” his voice was a dry croak. “We need time more than kills: try to force them to withdraw, absolutely kill them if you can. Champion—”

“Yes,” was the dull, instantaneous reply.

“—See if you can’t monitor where they run via satellite. If we drive them off—”

“The best defense is a good offense,” she’d caught his meaning immediately. “I disagree at present, but will consider. Out.”

Shooting Phase
Dragoon II (Player)
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Septicemia B-Z (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 smoke - 2 pulse laser = 12): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Septicemia B-Z (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement + 1 smoke - 2 pulse laser = 12): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains a reduced (22-3=19) heat, sinks 36!

Wolverine II (Player)
- Fires Plasma Rifle at Septicemia B-Z (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 9): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Plasma Rifle at Septicemia B-Z (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 9): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires SRM-6 at Septicemia B-Z (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 11): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 41 heat, sinks 24! Overheating!

Black Watch (Player)
- Holds fire!
- Gains 3 heat, sinks 22!

Gurkha #1 (Player)
- Fires Snub-Nosed PPC at Osteon Prime (3 base + 0 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 light woods + 2 heavy woods = 8): rolled 10, hit Right Arm (0/24 armor, 26/28 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 20!

Nyx #1 (Player)
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Septicemia B-Z (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 13): automatic miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Septicemia B-Z (3 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 4 enemy movement = 13): automatic miss!

Gurkha #2 (Player)
- No orders received!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 20!

Nyx #2 (Player)
- No orders received!
- Gains 0 heat, sinks 20!

Elementals 1 (Ally)
- Holds fire!

Elementals 2 (Ally)
- Holds fire!

Fire Elementals (Ally)
- Holds fire!

Golem (Ally)
- Fires ASRM-5 at Septicemia C-Z (3 base + 0 range + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods = 5): rolled 8, 17 missiles hit Right Arm (16/18 armor remaining), Center Torso (21/23 armor remaining), Right Torso (16/18 armor remaining), Left Arm(16/18 armor remaining), Right Torso (14/18 armor remaining), Left Arm (14/18 armor remaining), Right Torso (12/18 armor remaining), Left Arm (12/18 armor remaining), Head (7/9 armor remaining (Pilot hit!)), Left Torso (16/18 armor remaining), Left Arm (10/18 armor remaining), Right Torso (10/18 armor remaining), Left Arm (8/18 armor remaining), Center Torso (19/23 armor remaining), Right Arm (14/18 armor remaining), Left Arm (6/18 armor remaining), Left Leg (22/24 armor remaining)!

Savage Wolf Prime (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex 0507!
- Fires ER PPC at Osteon (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 2 heat = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER PPC at Osteon (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 2 heat = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Osteon (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 2 heat = 8): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Streak SRM-6 at Osteon (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 2 heat = 8): rolled 8, 4 missiles hit Right Arm (24/28 structure remaining (Crit!)), Right Leg (32/36 armor remaining), Right Leg (31/36 armor remaining (TAC!)), Right Leg (30/36 armor remaining)!
- Gains 48 heat, sinks 34! Overheating!

Savage Wolf C (Player)
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Septicemia B-Z (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 4 enemy movement = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at Septicemia B-Z (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 4 enemy movement = 8): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Septicemia B-Z (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 4 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Septicemia B-Z (3 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 4 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 8): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (17/24 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-15 w/Artemis V at Septicemia B-Z (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 4 enemy movement - 1 Artemis V = 7): rolled 8, 9 missiles hit Left Leg (12/24 armor remaining), Left Arm (5/18 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-15 w/Artemis V at Septicemia B-Z (3 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 4 enemy movement - 1 Artemis V = 7): rolled 10, 15 missiles hit Head (4/9 armor remaining (Pilot Hit!)), Left Arm (0/18 armor remaining), Right Arm (6/18 armor remaining)!
- Gains 49 heat, sinks 34! Overheating!

Rabid Coyote (Ally)
- Fires iATM-12 (ER) at Osteon Prime (3 base + 2 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 heavy woods + 2 light woods = 11): rolled 8, miss!
- Gains 10 heat, sinks 24!

Osteon Prime
- Delays attack!

Septicemia C-Z
- Extended torso-twists to threaten hex 0607!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Golem BattleArmor (5 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 small targets - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled 9, hit Trooper 5 (11/18 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Golem BattleArmor (5 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 small targets - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled 8, Trooper 3 (11/18 armor remaining)!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Golem BattleArmor (5 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 small targets - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at Golem BattleArmor (5 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 small targets - 2 pulse laser = 4): rolled 7, Trooper 4 (11/18 armor remaining)!
- Fires AP Gauss Rifle at Golem BattleArmor (5 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 small targets = 8): rolled 10, hit Trooper 4 (8/18 armor remaining)!
- Fires AP Gauss Rifle at Golem BattleArmor (5 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 small targets = 8): rolled 9, hit Trooper 4 (5/18 armor remaining)!
- Fires AP Gauss Rifle at Golem BattleArmor (5 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 small targets = 8): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires AP Gauss Rifle at Golem BattleArmor (5 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 small targets = 8): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 20 heat, sinks 24!

Septicemia B-Z
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Wolverine II (5 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 6, hit Left Torso (8/20 armor remaining)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at Wolverine II (5 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 1 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser - 1 targeting computer = 6): rolled 6, hit Center Torso (11/26 armor remaining)!
- Gains 27 heat, sinks 26!

Osteon Prime
- Fires iATM-9 (Inferno) at Savage Wolf C (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 5): rolled 9, hit! Target gains 16 heat! Heat from external sources capped at +15!
- Fires iATM-9 (Inferno) at Wolverine II (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement + 0 MultiTrac = 5): rolled 9, hit! Target gains 16 heat! Heat from external sources capped at +15!
- Fires iATM-9 (HE) at Gurkha #1 (4 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 light woods + 0 MultiTrac = 8): rolled 3, fails to lock-on!

End Phase:
Septicemia C-Z
- Must pass a 3+ Consciousness Test: rolled 8, succeeds!
- Must pass a 6+ Guts Check to avoid withdrawal: rolled 7, succeeds!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (6 base + 1 massive damage = 7): rolled 10, succeeds!

Septicemia B-Z
- Must pass a 3+ Consciousness Test: rolled 7, succeeds!
- Must pass a 6+ Guts Check to avoid withdrawal: rolled 5, fails!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (6 base + 1 massive damage = 7): rolled 9, succeeds!

Osteon Prime
- Critical chance in Right Arm: rolled (8 - 1 reinforced structure = 7), no critical hits sustained!
- Critical chance in Right Arm: rolled (3 - 1 reinforced structure = 2), no critical hits sustained!
- Through-armor critical chance in Right Leg: rolled (6 - 1 reinforced structure = 5), no critical hits sustained!

Savage Wolf Prime
- Shuts down due to excessive heat!
- Must roll an 8+ to avoid an ammunition explosion: rolled 7, fails!
- - Streak SRM-6 Ammo explodes!
- Suffers 156 damage to Left Torso (0/16 structure remaining)! Pilot hit! Pilot hit! XXL Engine destroyed! Left Arm Blown Off!
- - 141 damage vented harmlessly by CASE!

Savage Wolf C
- Must roll a 6+ to avoid shutdown: rolled 7, succeeds!
- Must roll an 4+ to avoid an ammunition explosion: rolled 9, succeeds!

Wolverine II
- Must roll a 4+ to avoid shutdown: rolled 10, succeeds!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (4 base + 1 massive damage = 5): rolled 7, succeeds!

Map Link

Player Status:

Ally Status:

OpForce Status:

Special Rules
Aces Some enemy ‘Mech units may become aces if certain conditions are met
BattleArmor Aces All battle armor units are aces

Primary Objectives
- Defeat or Drive Off the Society (11/14)

RWA Secondary Objectives
- Destroy the Septicemia Z to call in the Legion (Complete)

Coyote Secondary Objectives
- Secure hex 1909 or 1904 to warn the Clan (0/1)

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well, the good news is without their spotter we can take advantage of range.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He has ER ammo. "Range" is a looong way.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

True, but forcing him to fire 1-damage missiles at a penalty rather than being able to throw stronger missiles is a better situation than before.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Well, that's a thing. Paragon and I were both going for broke. I survived, he didn't.

I'm electing paragon1 for burial with full honours, for getting shot out twice in the same mission.

Is Sair out of commission or something? I see that a bunch of our guys didn't move at all.

And how have we not gotten our bonus objective yet? We've chased off that B-Z, there's a Battlearmour on the entrance of one of the dishes, and there's no-one threatening the hexes around them.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

painedforever posted:

And how have we not gotten our bonus objective yet? We've chased off that B-Z, there's a Battlearmour on the entrance of one of the dishes, and there's no-one threatening the hexes around them.

The hex they need to be in is actually one hex further than they could move. They have to get into the center of the building, rather than the entrance.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Elementals that have to walk are slow, and you can't jump into buildings.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Ouch. Two mechs with zero orders hurts.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I hate the dice so goddamn much!

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

...that is a lot of heat to burn off.

Still, chasing off the B-Z takes us a step closer. Golems have only one more round of head-hunting available, but the Rabid Coyote is in a good position to make a real mess this turn with a decent move mod.

I think my only good option here is to jump to 1105 or something and burn it off for a turn while the rest of the company catches up. Assuming I don't fall on my head, I'll be in range to DFA if things get desperate. But that may not be the team play - if we need more heavy bodies out front to get shot at while the lights go around the back, I'm happy to help, but I'm not going to be able to do much real shooting.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

The Society could've taken more damage (48 to the Osteon and CZ, 29 to the BZ that left), but we traded an overheating Savage Wolf Prime with a crippled engine and attrition to the Golems and one round's worth of fire from the Wolverine and Savage Wolf C for the BZ retreating and attrition to the CZ, which matters extra because the BZ was acting as the Osteon's spotter. Things are going extremely well for the Republic. The Golems should survive 1-2 rounds if the Osteon and CZ decide to finish them off right away. Also, some high stakes guessing by the Society that the Savage Wolf Prime would choose to sacrifice itself. Or I guess that's what delays firing means? Does it mean the Osteon potentially allows itself to be killed during the firing phase to see what will happen before retaliating?

Even once the Golems have fired off their missiles they still have double rifles, but the range appears to be 0? In which case their only value is advancing to apply pressure and become meatshields.

The northern woods might be set on fire to some advantage for those who can reach.
The Golems are fighting right now, but otoh two mechs need to cool down (thankfully the Wolverine can jump and the Savage Wolf C can reckless move +1 to hide in the lake/pond as it hasn't been breached, although perhaps tanking might work too as you've got plenty of armor left, and falling in water is a bitch), and three mechs haven't reached yet.

Long range for Inferno and Mid-range is 11 hexes, and takes you out of ER short range. CZ is running a bit short on plasma rounds, but it doesn't seem too relevant as it's probably the next mech to be focused down, with its inferior health and lack of ferra-lamellor armor.
Perhaps having ACE and initiative you could delay fire yourself, and only alpha if you have the spare heat, if that's what it indeed does?

Also, wow, Defiance lives again.

PS. So what exactly does delay fire do, PTN? Does it allow the Osteon to see what the others are doing at the cost of taking hits first? And is it possible for Goonmechs to delay fire to see who gets hit by infernos?

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 12, 2018

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Delaying fire, I believe, is just waiting for other units to shoot first. So you wait for the guy with the hole punchers before you spam critseeking missiles.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

It's a pity the Osteon didn't randomly explode from TACs from Paragon's fire, or it'd be the perfect time for a light (if possible) to follow the two elemental squads in and fire at the controls on the inside.

Also, is it good or bad for the Republic that the Coyotes send a warning out? With all these supermechs it's hard to see the Society losing completely. It's much more easy to imagine the Coyotes getting wiped, so it's probably a good thing for the Wolverines and Republic that the Coyotes get a warning out to make the enemies more evenly balanced.
However, perhaps they haven't warned the rest of their clan about the Wolverines yet, in which case it's probably a negative for the Republic and Wolverine forces.

Well, it's not a question anyway. The Osteon is too much of a bitch in heavy woods for any betrayal, can't really take it out easily without the numbers to gank it from the rear after the CZ dies, and infighting would kill the huge advantage right now.

The Golems will last 2 rounds against the CZ, but they can be easily wiped if the Osteon focuses HE on them this round. Each HE iATM volley that hits should take almost 18% of the group's max hp, and they're already down to 60%.
At least they'll get off every single SRM-5, so they can go to Clanner heaven.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 12, 2018

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

RA Rx posted:

Also, wow, Defiance lives again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jU4e8DV61I

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

RA Rx posted:

Also, some high stakes guessing by the Society that the Savage Wolf Prime would choose to sacrifice itself.

The Osteon had a kick prepared since the odds of the Savage Wolf backing off were pretty slim and a huge targeting penalty made taking shots at other targets more valuable. I was just trying for the knockdown and hoping for a left torso crit that way.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Is it possible to export the Megamek graphics settings you are using PTN? It looks a lot better than my, default, settings.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't think he's using Megamek to make his pics, it's something else and a lot of manual work/tlc

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I handcraft maps using an (ancient) program called BME and then make them pretty with GIMP. The actual missions are done in GIMP.

BattleMech sprites I steal from MegaMEK, but I clean them up (or sometimes redo bits / remake them completely if I don't like them). The 'Mech sprites used to come nice and clean but someone in MegaMEK's art team decided the nice, crisp sprites needed ugly drop shadows which, as far as I can tell, serve only to obscure the unit when you're actually playing MegaMEK.

That's why my turnaround time between missions has increased. I have to remove that poo poo by hand.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 12, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I have updated the google doc with this turn's data.

I am still a turn away from joining the fight :(

Whats this about a reckless move that RA Rx mentioned?

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Ah right, well I have to say the results of your labours look great!

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's why my turnaround time between missions has increased. I have to remove that poo poo by hand.

Can you pull older sprites from an older build of megamek or did they replace all the sprites in those too?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Near as I can tell they've all been replaced, unless someone has the old sprites and could send them my way I'm out of luck. I still have to clean those up too, mind you, it's just a lot less effort. Y'know, excepting the ones where the black outline is actually 3 different shades of dark blue and red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

Near as I can tell they've all been replaced, unless someone has the old sprites and could send them my way I'm out of luck. I still have to clean those up too, mind you, it's just a lot less effort. Y'know, excepting the ones where the black outline is actually 3 different shades of dark blue and red.

I also happen to dislike the new sprite art, to the point where I've kept some earlier versions of MegaMek on my hard drive so I can copy over the older images. The earliest I have is the 0.38 version from 2014. I can pack the sprites up into a zip file and PM them to you if you like.

• Locked thread