Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

Old fashioneds shouldn't have cherries :thurman:

But just two weeks ago a lady at my bar said it’s not an old fashioned unless it has a cherry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
An old fashioned should be prepared, and served just the way you, or the paying guest, wants it. Including the old fashioned at the new quality eats where they infuse sugar with ango, spin it into cotton candy, and you stir it into bourbon on the rocks.

It is amazing.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

bloody ghost titty posted:

An old fashioned should be prepared, and served just the way you, or the paying guest, wants it. Including the old fashioned at the new quality eats where they infuse sugar with ango, spin it into cotton candy, and you stir it into bourbon on the rocks.

It is amazing.

This sounds wonderful.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I do sometimes put a cherry in mine, but it's a brandied cherry I made myself. I don't smash it, though. Muddling is for the orange peel.

*a thousand fedoras catch on fire*

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So just stirring mine more before straining it got me like 90% there. Think the rest is just getting the bitters amount right.

Also have some orange bitters, good or bad idea?

Finally, I think I like rye a lot.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Orange is fine and I prefer it to angostura

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

sean10mm posted:

So just stirring mine more before straining it got me like 90% there. Think the rest is just getting the bitters amount right.

I put orange bitters and ango in mine

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

sean10mm posted:

Orange bitters is good especially when you are experimenting with rum old fashioneds.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
I use Ango and Peychauds personally

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
My at home to my taste old fashion is Eagle Rare, sugar, water, orange bitters and dram apothecary citrus bitters, stirred forever then poured over a sphere of ice with an orange peel.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

My old fashioneds sit in a barrel for a few weeks, then I drink them :smug:

Seriously get yourself a small cask if you haven't already

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

zmcnulty posted:

My old fashioneds sit in a barrel for a few weeks, then I drink them :smug:

Seriously get yourself a small cask if you haven't already

Small cask? I have 15 gallon barrels and 5 gallon barrels. I'm going to need more bottles of eagle rare.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Best old fashioned I ever had was with maple bitters and a smoke component, so yeah, do what feels right.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Old Fashioneds are an ancient and dignified people. They suffered greatly during the Great Bacon in Everything Trend of 2012.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Gonna derail Old Fashioned chat for a minute in favor of Negroni chat: just made one with oloroso sherry instead of sweet vermouth and hot diggety poo poo it is a completely different cocktail. I'm using Caorunn gin (highly recommend btw), Sangre y Trabajadero sherry, classic 1:1:1 ratio, lemon twist. What a fantastic drink.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Just did Kenji's "toasted cream" though I opted to sous vide it for 50% longer in lieu of baking soda.

It makes a good, but quite different, White Russian. The nose is strikingly nutty and buttery, almost like smelling a baked pie crust. A bit out of place in the WR, which I kinda want to be just creamy coffee, but the ingredient has major promise as it brings unique flavors to liquid ingredients.

Now I've only used 1 oz out of 16 and I'm excited to try recipes that go well with butter, nutmeg, milk, cream, nut milks, etc. Anything y'all would add to this list?

Milk punch
Irish Coffee
Nutty Irishman
Toasted Almond
Hot Buttered Rum (Florida is 80°F but science must be done)

Maybe a nog but I can't really put forth the effort to do it justice

e: I didn't have Frangelico so I tried a Nutty Irishman with pecan liqueur instead. Lots of flavors going on, especially with chicory bitters, but I think the toasted cream was good in it.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 26, 2018

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I just got gifted a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10.. it seems a shame to Old Fashion it. And yet I really want to.

Thoughts on how to drink to aside from neat?

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I mean, drink most of that bottle neat, but I wouldn't shy away from one or two Old Fashioneds. I'd tone down the non-whiskey ingredients, make it a vehicle for accentuating the bourbon .

I probably wouldn't be able to resist making a Manhattan either, after a long think about vermouth. (Pappy's wheated, right? So Carpano's probably too big. Dolin's more like it, but gently caress, if I'm making a $60 Manhattan I'm gonna shop around for something ridiculous and perfect and make a $75 Manhattan.)

The other obvious drink would be a mint julep. Use the freshest, mintiest mint, a true julep cup, ice lovingly crushed to a uniformly fine consistency in a Lewis bag, and Johnny Depp on hand, reciting Hunter S. Thompson's "The Kentucky Derby Is Decadent and Depraved".

I wouldn't worry too, too much, though, unless that was bottled ten(?) or more years ago. They ran out of the old van Winkle distillery juice several years ago, so you're mostly getting Buffalo Trace XO. Still really great, but not the bottle that defined premium bourbon in the modern era.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's van Winkle. Its price is artificial bullshit. Make an old fashioned with it, it will taste great.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Yea it only costs about $40 wholesale. The hoops you have to jump through are bullshit.

I brought home a bottle of 15 yr to share with my dad this past Xmas. Like an idiot I left it in my backpack in the back of my 4Runner. I opened up the hatch and my backpack fell out shattering the unopened Pappy.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So every time I have seen the owner of pappy on a show he makes an old fashioned with muddled orange.

Don’t be like him.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

ColHannibal posted:

So every time I have seen the owner of pappy on a show he makes an old fashioned with muddled orange.

Don’t be like him.

In my personal correct for me old fashion it is just sugar, bitters, bourbon and orange peel.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I don't think I've ever wanted citrus peel in my drink. Express some oils over the top, sure, but I don't need the scraps tossed in for good measure.

Edit: since I haven't messed with it yet, how much does flaming citrus oil affect the flavor? Is it more for show or what?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I like the peel, it's like the evidence of the work that went into it. It also adds an extra nose component, if it's not fully submerged.

Flaming, though. That's some flashy bullshit.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

God drat you guys get hung up on some weird poo poo. Flamed orange peels, like everything else, have a time and place and work great when they work.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Also it's really really fun to do for somebody who's never seen it before, if you can't find joy in that then don't bartend lol

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I just wanted to know if there's any point, flavor-wise, when I'm making myself a drink. Obviously put on a show for company/customers if you've got the time and energy.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, I assumed you weren't a bartender. I've flamed plenty of peels and have never tasted a difference, so doing it at home without an audience would be pointless.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It definitely affects the aroma though, and that’s the main point of a twist anyways.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah, I assumed you weren't a bartender. I've flamed plenty of peels and have never tasted a difference, so doing it at home without an audience would be pointless.

Toast Museum posted:

I just wanted to know if there's any point, flavor-wise, when I'm making myself a drink. Obviously put on a show for company/customers if you've got the time and energy.

Express an orange peel onto something and Smell it and then flame an orange peel onto something and Smell it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Yeah, I don't know why I thought asking here was going to be less effort than buying a loving orange.

Unrelated to garnish: any rules of thumb for pre-batched cocktails? How long can I keep a bottle of 1:1 martini in the freezer before the flavor noticeably changes?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Toast Museum posted:

Yeah, I don't know why I thought asking here was going to be less effort than buying a loving orange.

Unrelated to garnish: any rules of thumb for pre-batched cocktails? How long can I keep a bottle of 1:1 martini in the freezer before the flavor noticeably changes?

I dunno man, it smells like burnt orange. You know how charred lemons smell? Like that, but with orange. It's too much for a classic old fashioned but it works great in a darker rum old fashioned.

Everything has an application, we don't need to be reliving the Tom cruise in cocktail days but we shouldn't just write things off because "oh it's flashy it must be bad".

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Flamed citrus peels are great when you feel the drink needs a deep, charred note, or where a regular citrus peel would be too bright. Death & Co.'s Oaxaca Old Fashioned is a great example of how well it can round out a stirred tequila/mezcal drink. I like a flamed lemon peel on Old Fashioned riffs that are leaning more full-bodied and rich (I do one with calvados and maple syrup that pretty much requires it).

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I just got gifted a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10.. it seems a shame to Old Fashion it. And yet I really want to.

Thoughts on how to drink to aside from neat?

The other night I ran out of Tin Cup to make old fashioned's so I used some wild turkey Kentucky spirit which I think tastes better than the non-reserve van winkles. Do what your heart desires.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Larceny is 90% of the way to pappy.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I discovered that even though I kind of don't like Lo-Fi's weird sweet vermouth in the things I normally use vermouth for (manhattans, negronis, boulevardiers), the cocoa note pairs super well with scotch. I've used it a couple of times for this Bobby Burns variation (ok, I just put Peychaud's in a Bobby Burns because Peychaud's is delicious with scotch and normally they're too sweet) and they're delightful:

2.5oz smoky blended scotch (Black Bottle; or do a regular blended with a little Islay)
1 oz sweet vermouth (Lo-Fi)
.5 oz Benedictine
3 dashes Peychaud's

Stir, up, traditionally no garnish but I bet a flamed orange would be nice (and annoy this thread). A good sweeter, after-dinner drink.

Gotta try more stuff with this. Maybe a mezcal manhattan variant, since scotch works. Anyone have any other ideas?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

i haven't had lo-fi's sweet vermouth but I basically do that same build (with the dash of islay) using Cocchi Rosa and it's one of my favorite drinks ever . I always called it a Mr. Burns

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

goferchan posted:

Here's a nice "intro to Cynar" recipe that I like to make sometimes btw:

This is from literally years ago but on a whim I decided to make this today. Subbed out the rye for bourbon because I was out of rye, and it's drat good!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

You basically can't gently caress up the combo of whiskey and Cynar tbqh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

On the subject of Cynar, has anyone else found it difficult to sleep after having Cynar before bed? I don't drink coffee or tea, but Cynar gives me that same restless feeling in bed. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some tea/coffee infusion in there.