Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Captain Oblivious posted:

The expansion bathes you in Black Legion rep, it's kinda not an issue anymore :shrug:

You still have to go through all three Roguelikes to get one legendary, it's so far from efficient I can't begin to describe it. Obviously do the quests for the story if you want to, but if you're after legendaries, don't bother.

E: Even if you have a weak character, Cronley runs with the guaranteed bounty boss will yield you far more legendaries at much lower risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
New patch with new roguelike dropped yesterday. Anyone get anything good from it?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Yawgmoth posted:

New patch with new roguelike dropped yesterday. Anyone get anything good from it?

I haven't tried the new area but the kraken buff is real nice for 2h users, though minor. Still gave me like 1-2k sheet dps on my massive resistance-shearing purifier.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
ssmagus whipped this up in the Grim Goons discord and I tweaked the gear a bit. I haven't played much in-game with it but after killing a few packs of beasts, it seems pretty fun:

PRM Spellbinder with Krieg's set

You've got all the defensive toys of the arcanist, including a fully overcapped Maiven's for that sweet sweet 25% absorption. Necromancer gives a boatload of HP and cast speed along with OA and attack speed debuffs. I'm tempted to pull a point from Siphon Souls and put it into Reap Spirit simply because there's a +7 to Reap Spirit just hanging out there, but I like having a lot of buttons to push. The devotions are pretty self-explanatory; it's all aether stuff or resistances.

The gear is also pretty self-explanatory (I think), and the only thing you really need to make the build work is the MI medal; it's off the basilisk boss from Ancient Grove (the new dungeon), located near the top of the first floor just a bit west of the entrance to the second floor. It turns all your PRM damage into aether, making you into a sort of more mobile, less energy intensive AAR caster. The slow effect given by the conduit amulet is also pretty nice as it lets you easily stay at distance from anything that isn't a boss. For the augments, you can do pretty much whatever you like for the main hand weapon augment. I use Ravager's Eye because +HP and +DA are always useful.

Edit: upon getting some play in with it, I would suggest replacing one of the Runebound Topaz with an Ectoplasm and getting some Royal Jelly Extract potions made up. It's not as bad as AAR or Drain Essence, but you definitely can't blaze through an entire dungeon without potions. Good thing the basic energy potions are cheap and drop all the time, I guess?

Yawgmoth fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 3, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Huh, I’ll probably try that since I’ve got most of all of the items and I’ve been looking for something new.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire

Yawgmoth posted:

ssmagus whipped this up in the Grim Goons discord and I tweaked the gear a bit. I haven't played much in-game with it but after killing a few packs of beasts, it seems pretty fun:

PRM Spellbinder with Krieg's set

You've got all the defensive toys of the arcanist, including a fully overcapped Maiven's for that sweet sweet 25% absorption. Necromancer gives a boatload of HP and cast speed along with OA and attack speed debuffs. I'm tempted to pull a point from Siphon Souls and put it into Reap Spirit simply because there's a +7 to Reap Spirit just hanging out there, but I like having a lot of buttons to push. The devotions are pretty self-explanatory; it's all aether stuff or resistances.

The gear is also pretty self-explanatory (I think), and the only thing you really need to make the build work is the MI medal; it's off the basilisk boss from Ancient Grove (the new dungeon), located near the top of the first floor just a bit west of the entrance to the second floor. It turns all your PRM damage into aether, making you into a sort of more mobile, less energy intensive AAR caster. The slow effect given by the conduit amulet is also pretty nice as it lets you easily stay at distance from anything that isn't a boss. For the augments, you can do pretty much whatever you like for the main hand weapon augment. I use Ravager's Eye because +HP and +DA are always useful.

Edit: upon getting some play in with it, I would suggest replacing one of the Runebound Topaz with an Ectoplasm and getting some Royal Jelly Extract potions made up. It's not as bad as AAR or Drain Essence, but you definitely can't blaze through an entire dungeon without potions. Good thing the basic energy potions are cheap and drop all the time, I guess?

It's actually better running 50 Arc/40 necro for the 22 points in reckless power, But when I made it from his old spellbinder, I forgot that you can respec mastery now.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ssmagus posted:

It's actually better running 50 Arc/40 necro for the 22 points in reckless power, But when I made it from his old spellbinder, I forgot that you can respec mastery now.
This is what I've settled on (at least for the moment). Small drop in DA for roughly 6-700 extra aether damage on each missile, and a point in IEE is a pretty substantial buff to energy regen which is what the build is in need of most. Definitely got to make sure you craft your craftables at a smith with +energy regen of some kind.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

This is what I've settled on (at least for the moment). Small drop in DA for roughly 6-700 extra aether damage on each missile, and a point in IEE is a pretty substantial buff to energy regen which is what the build is in need of most. Definitely got to make sure you craft your craftables at a smith with +energy regen of some kind.

I don't see the point to Open Hand in that build, a boss would need 124 aether resist for it to actually do anything with all the reduction you already have, and presumably non-bosses aren't a big issue anyway.

Albrecht's Duality would give you quite a lot more DPS, especially since you're not cast speed capped -- it would even give you 14 flat aether damage through Fabric of Reality

E: One point out of Ill Omen and into Elemental Balance would give you +10% crit damage at almost no cost

The Mash fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 4, 2018

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?p=613422

quote:

Hot on the heels of our successful release of Ashes of Malmouth last Fall, we are here to announce the next chapter of Grim Dawn!

In the Forgotten Gods expansion, you will journey beyond the bounds of the Erulan Empire, traversing burning sands, lush oases and volcanic wastes to reach the sun beaten ruins of a city with secrets that should never have been disturbed. The flames of a forgotten god have been rekindled, sending ripples through the Eldritch realm and sowing terror even among the Witch Gods themselves.

Along with quality of life features, you will pursue new powers, hundreds of new Unique items and Monster Infrequents and more! Battle dozens of new foes across new dungeons and a new gameplay mode which we’ll be discussing in detail in the coming months!

In short, Forgotten Gods will be another thrilling densely-packed addition to the critically acclaimed Grim Dawn and its first expansion, Ashes of Malmouth.

The best news of all though is that not only has work on this expansion already begun, it’s well underway. We expect Forgotten Gods to release in the second half of 2018!

We are very excited to share more details of what’s coming in the Forgotten Gods expansion, so be sure to stay tuned for future Grim Misadventures as we return to our regular bi-weekly update schedule.

:toot:

Pretty excited for a new setting

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

:vince:

Well the snow part of grim dawn didn't suck so hopefully the desert part won't either.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

:vince:

Well the snow part of grim dawn didn't suck so hopefully the desert part won't either.

Wait, they're adding new areas that aren't swamps? I don't understand

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Can't wait for the hot sand floor damage.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Hey, it's their opportunity to make it so the floor literally is lava for once.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Sounds neat. One of the things I've always found most lacking in Grim Dawn is zone diversity. You have brown swamps, brown cliffs, and brown mountains.

Then again, this may just be brown deserts. They could make it Arabian enough to be interesting though.

Titan quest felt like it had more varied and interesting areas. You went from greek-themed villages to oriental villages, to olympus, to tartarus, to everything in between. The zones felt like they had a lot more care put into them.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 5, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

hopefully they’ll add yet another damage type with no associated resistance or other mitigation for said floor damage

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hauki posted:

hopefully they’ll add yet another damage type with no associated resistance or other mitigation for said floor damage

Can't wait for the Sand Blast Gun, and new melee weapon the Steam Punk Belt Sander.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Aw yeaaaahh.

I'm hyped for this!

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Oddly enough, the greatest prospective hope for the new Expansion lies in the music---somehow the best themes for these types of games tend to crop up with a good old desert setting to play off of.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

This is my favourite theme from GD. It generally plays around Crown Hill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSpDusr6xTQ

Though obviously the best ARPG theme of all time is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2evIg-aYw8

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

Recently picked this game up and I'm having a blast with it. I started up a couple of characters, but I've decided to stick with a Purifier and it's been going really well. I'm only 35 so I imagine my lovely character will eventually hit a wall of sorts.

I'm starting to get a better idea of what I should be looking for stat wise, but is it still worth it to look at yellow items? I've been mainly focusing on green+, but wanted to make sure I wasn't skipping over anything important.

Edit: Also thank you for the very informative OP~

blahz fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 7, 2018

Hauki
May 11, 2010

blahz posted:

Recently picked this game up and I'm having a blast with it. I started up a couple of characters, but I've decided to stick with a Purifier and it's been going really well. I'm only 35 so I imagine my lovely character will eventually hit a wall of sorts.

I'm starting to get a better idea of what I should be looking for stat wise, but is it still worth it to look at yellow items? I've been mainly focusing on green+, but wanted to make sure I wasn't skipping over anything important.

Edit: Also thank you for the very informative OP~

no

to add to the above, if you haven’t noticed already, there’s a crude filter built in the bottom left of the UI you can use to skip yellows entirely.

blahz
Dec 18, 2004

Hauki posted:

no

to add to the above, if you haven’t noticed already, there’s a crude filter built in the bottom left of the UI you can use to skip yellows entirely.

Yeah I was using the filter for a bit, but ended up turning it back on to sell them the vendors. I never bothered looking at their stats at that point, but wanted confirmation. Thank you very much!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Woo, the PRM Spellbinder build managed to take down Kupacabra and Gargabol tonight! :toot:

I don't even have all my devotions capped yet. Still working on Spear of the Heavens and Arcane Bomb, so if anyone wants to do some crucible sometime, hop in discord and gimme a poke.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Oh please let the new gameplay mode be random dungeons.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

new phone who dis posted:

Oh please let the new gameplay mode be random dungeons.

God, I just want them to streamline the bounty board to be a bit more automatic. Im gettin tired of wandering misclicking that drat devils crossing table and ending up outside.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

KirbyKhan posted:

God, I just want them to streamline the bounty board to be a bit more automatic. Im gettin tired of wandering misclicking that drat devils crossing table and ending up outside.
The worst part about those is that only a couple of them let you click the thing from far away and have it walk you up and interact. The others just leave you standing there. You have to find that 3px spot that is both not the board but close enough to let you interact with it. Drove me nuts.

Now I don't even bother with them really. I just trade myself a stack of those mandates and move on.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
So, I had severe performance issues with the game until I launched it with the /d3d9 parameter, but now that I'm in the expansion my FPS has tanked again into sub-20 frames per second territory, even with graphics turned all the way down. Is there anything else I can do or do I just have to suck it up?

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
Was on sale for 7$, just bought, I wish D3 was more like this, etc, etc

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

My #1 ask is for a separate inventory sash that can hold all the crafting materials.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

OhFunny posted:

My #1 ask is for a separate inventory sash that can hold all the crafting materials.

Mine is a "stack all the poo poo from my inventory into my stash" button, followed by one for "sell all the crap in this bag."

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
I got to 75 on my dual-Orwell's Revolver gunslinger (Demo/Inq) and upgraded to the Empowered ones yesterday. Went from leisurely wiping out packs to just constant melting of all that stood before me. The handful of hella clutch Legendary drops I picked up around then certainly didn't hurt either.

Cleared up through the Coven hub and the new Skeleton Key dungeon and I think I'll move over to Ultimate. Malmouth is fun AF, but my resists are in decent-enough shape (all 60%+ on Ult).

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I tried GD a while back and couldn't get into it. Came back to it a little while ago, ran something like eight characters through most of or all of Act 1 before I found one that I liked (and the character really only started getting decent around 20). Now getting into the start of Act 3.

Character is a Soldier/Occultist, dual-pistol physical Cadence dude with as much attack speed as I can possibly get. Went Occultist secondary almost purely for Solael's Witchfire for the 15% attack speed :v: (and the curse, etc etc), beelined Squad Tactics for the same, and dropped a few points in Fighting Form to get Cadence piercing for clear. Now I pew-pew-POW everything to death in reasonably quick order. While I know virtually nothing about endgame gearing and the like, it looks like my final loadout will be double Havoc pistols. (I don't have any of the DLC at this point.)

I mostly came to this build after trying a bunch of others because I wanted something with decent clearspeed and everything else I'd been trying was slowwwwwww. This almost certainly won't survive at all come lategame, but it's fun enough for now.

I'm still a PoE junkie but GD is a fun change of pace when it starts clicking together. Will happily accept build/character/gameplay tips and whatnot.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

theshim posted:

Will happily accept build/character/gameplay tips and whatnot.
Upload your character to https://www.grimtools.com/ and we will happily pick it apart and call you names. :v:

Went through one character's stash last night to try to clean poo poo out. 3 tabs full of legendaries got pared down to 2.5! :woop: I don't even know why I save all this poo poo, I'm probably not going to make any new characters. but what if I do :ohdear:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I've been playing this co-op with my wife on and off for the last couple months which has been pretty fun, and I think we got to the... end? We killed a big vagina tentacle monster and went back to base and the dude was like "yeah the world's still hosed but you beat a bad guy, kick back and relax my dudes!" like it was just another regular quest. There was supposed to be a guy that met us at the bottom of the last dungeon but we never saw him, but the dialogue option for the guy back at base was that we saw him get pulled into a portal with the monster, neither of which happened.

Did I miss something? Do I need to buy the DLC to get the rest of the game?

Also, how do you dual wield pistols, I wanted to do that at the beginning but I went with a different character build because it only ever let me equip one at a time.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

raditts posted:

I've been playing this co-op with my wife on and off for the last couple months which has been pretty fun, and I think we got to the... end? We killed a big vagina tentacle monster and went back to base and the dude was like "yeah the world's still hosed but you beat a bad guy, kick back and relax my dudes!" like it was just another regular quest. There was supposed to be a guy that met us at the bottom of the last dungeon but we never saw him, but the dialogue option for the guy back at base was that we saw him get pulled into a portal with the monster, neither of which happened.

Yeah, that's the end of the base game. Ulgrim actually appears in the boss room and "helps" you fight it for a while, but he gets sucked into the Void or something pretty quickly.

raditts posted:

Also, how do you dual wield pistols, I wanted to do that at the beginning but I went with a different character build because it only ever let me equip one at a time.
There's a handful of items that enable dual-wielding pistols. One of the vendors in Devil's Crossing should have a blueprint for the Gunslinger's Talisman relic, although I don't remember if purchasing it requires any particular faction standing.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

raditts posted:

The expansion contains two additional chapters, as well as a class that has innate pistol dual-wielding available.

There are also multiple items in the base game that allow you to dual-wield pistols, but you won't be able to use them til about level 20-25 or so.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

MMAgCh posted:

Yeah, that's the end of the base game. Ulgrim actually appears in the boss room and "helps" you fight it for a while, but he gets sucked into the Void or something pretty quickly.

I totally missed this when I was fighting the boss. It was in the dialog later and I was super confused.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
here is my bizarre lovely gunslinger dude https://www.grimtools.com/calc/aZqaxW4Z

please dunk on him

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

So Transmutation is a feature coming in the new expansion. Where you can roll a set piece into another piece of the set like in Diablo.

A twist on the above is you can also roll a set piece into an item of a different set, if you’re trying for something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

theshim posted:

here is my bizarre lovely gunslinger dude https://www.grimtools.com/calc/aZqaxW4Z

please dunk on him

Suggestions for skill points (short and long term):

-Drop Counter Strike
-Drop Zolhan's
-Take more points in Markovian's Advantage
-Take Military Conditioning
-Max Soldier and take Oleron's Rage and a point in Scars of Battle
-Level occultist and take Blood of Dreeg+Aspect of the Guardian
-Consider War Cry + Break Morale late game if you stick to physical damage and get a lot of +skills gear