Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
How should I go about catching up on AoS from ep 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Johnny Truant posted:

can't decide if a laugh track would make the show better... or great

oh drat, there should have been a cheesy 1980s episode like Mr Robot's Alf episode, where Carl is dying and dreaming of a the better life, but with sappy music and a laugh track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s14mBN3Ciw

I guess this is as close as I am getting

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
I miss michael rooker. Why's he gotta be dead in stuff?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

warcrimes posted:

How should I go about catching up on AoS from ep 1?

One of two ways:

1) Just watch Season 1. There's a lot of episodes that feel like lame episode of the week stuff but once the show is in gear, it changes a lot of them. There's one episode I hated and almost made me quit the show before the big shift in the last few episodes because I thought the characters were acting too dumb to live. After the reveal, said episode is actually 200% better because no, people weren't acting like idiots, they just had agendas.

2) Option B is to skip straight to the last 6 episodes of season 1. That is when Winter Soldier came out, and really, that's when the show immediately begins to improve. It's really great by season 3 though honestly it's consistently fun after the Winter Soldier shift to the status quo.

-

Your tolerance for cheesy episode-of-the-week action will determine if you should just watch the first season entirely or not. I will say that what seemed like no payoff or sappy team dynamics actually aren't what they seem at all, so there's definite reward for just watching it but it hardly represents the later quality of the show (in particular since several characters change SO MUCH from their introduction). The show gets really good by the 3rd season with some stellar action, and after that they go to the pod format which basically makes every season multiple mini-seasons with an overarching story.

I really like the pod format. I wish more shows used it. You get a brisk change of tone without things dragging out a whole season without shorter seasons. It's pretty win/win.

ED: Actually one other thing the show really excels at is character development. I felt like there was a lot of bland, redundant characters in season 1 but every single one of them evolves massively beyond their original starting point, and they're super consistent across every season. After WD's "musical chairs of personality" it's IMMENSELY refreshing.

ED: Also I can say without a doubt AoS is very good about 'JUST SHOOT HIM.' If the AoS team was in WD this Negan bullshit'd been over a long time ago. I can think of only a single "JUST SHOOT HIM" in the entire show's run, usually they start shooting when I am thinking that.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 11, 2018

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm not reading all that, what is AoS?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Barreft posted:

I'm not reading all that, what is AoS?

I'd tell you, but you probably just wouldn't read it.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Dongattack posted:

I'd tell you, but you probably just wouldn't read it.

I didn't read this post.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Agents of Shield has been good from the start :colbert:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

What, incidentally, does pod format mean?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder how many episodes will be spent with Rick ignoring his dead son's pleas

I'm sorry son, but it's important I keep doing stupid poo poo to keep the feud going

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Rick gets choked up when he realizes he can't tell Carl that he'll understand when he gets older

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

moist turtleneck posted:

I wonder how many episodes will be spent with Rick ignoring his dead son's pleas

I'm sorry son, but it's important I keep doing stupid poo poo to keep the feud going

In fairness Coral was a fountain of stupid poo poo done and had absolutely no right to preach. Would have been like had Andrea's final act being to instruct the group on how to judge the character of others.

They should bring back Shane as a hallucination zombie that follows him around (Like American Werewolf in London.) and laughs at all of the things Rick now does with justifications that mirror what Shane knew and accepted back in the day.

Shane did nothing wrong.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 11, 2018

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Hasselblad posted:

Shane did nothing wrong.

He hosed Lori.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cactus posted:

What, incidentally, does pod format mean?

I'm guessing the strategy of splitting a ~22 episode season into two 'half seasons', each with their own linked but relatively separate plot.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

happyhippy posted:

He hosed Lori.

He was just comforting her because they thought Rick was dead. Had he lived and Rick died, Coral would have been raised a lot better and would likely had been a better character and still be alive. :colbert:

That said, Andrea would have been a better choice to snuggle with.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm guessing the strategy of splitting a ~22 episode season into two 'half seasons', each with their own linked but relatively separate plot.

"plot"

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
this scene would have played different if it was shane

http://i.imgur.com/SGweKi8.gifv

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

moist turtleneck posted:

this scene would have played different if it was shane

http://i.imgur.com/SGweKi8.gifv

Ah, the days when lack of food, water, gas, ammo and water were a thing.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

yes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
So is this bad enough to watch so far, or no?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
hey remember season 3 when you didnt even get to learn the bad guy's name because he lasted for 2 episodes

https://i.imgur.com/aOQ5nWp.gifv

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
This show has gotten hilariously bad. I can't believe how we recycle the same 5 plot lines over the last few seasons, to the point that Rick couldn't even hold to Coral's dying wish for an entire episode.

At this point it feels like someone is banging out scenes on a typewriter, minutes before they film, with no thought to continuity or character development. Even the cinematography has gotten Soap Opera-lazy: just flat head-shots of characters talking. You can tell they are talking to each other because one is looking camera-left and the other is looking camera-right! And who the gently caress keeps putting in those zoom-cuts? I guess Morgan is Clear Crazy again? Carol is back to being a badass after another round of helplessness? At least the stupid Trash People can't betray everybody for a fifth time.
:rolleye:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

So is this bad enough to watch so far, or no?

Primed for hate-watching. Get in before it gets too bad for even ironic enjoyment!

Hasselblad posted:

In fairness Coral was a fountain of stupid poo poo done and had absolutely no right to preach. Would have been like had Andrea's final act being to instruct the group on how to judge the character of others.

They should bring back Shane as a hallucination zombie that follows him around (Like American Werewolf in London.) and laughs at all of the things Rick now does with justifications that mirror what Shane knew and accepted back in the day.

Shane did nothing wrong.

Shane was right. :rip:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Don't be foolhardy enough to think that you can hatewatch the Walking Dead--the Walking Dead already hates you.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

dont even fink about it posted:

Don't be foolhardy enough to think that you can hatewatch the Walking Dead--the Walking Dead already hates you.

The show is hate-watching us! :tinfoil:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think I’m going to do the same thing I did last week of waiting till 10pm then just fast forwarding through all the bad parts.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Place our bets ladies and gents! Since a new doctor has arrived on the scene, do we lose Dr. Carson today?

I’m voting ‘a-yup’.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
It's the 3rd episode so its time for a side story before they get back to the main plot.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
These prisoners are acting like it's been weeks since they have been captured. It's been like 24 hours max.

edit.
Holy poo poo, Gabriel's segment is over wrought. Basically someone said, "Let's prove faith for a while and then undercut it, that's compelling right?"

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 12, 2018

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Dwight: "I'm sorry I killed your girlfriend, but I did get bit in the dick for it"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Lesbians are so mean!

Blind man can see giant sign that can say traps?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ Plot required it for reasons

JazzFlight posted:

Can they just lead a herd to that garbage dump and have them all walk straight into the grinder? Looks like they wouldn't ever have to worry about zombies anymore because it's like instant win mode.

Well, the problem there is the walkers teleport. Take tonight for example once doc dumbshit gets caught in a bear trap *scccccchhhhhhooooooom* walkers teleport in to pile on him

Quick Rick, salvage the Powerwheels and ride it to victory ala OddBall on his Sherman! WOOF WOOF

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 12, 2018

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
GOD IS REAL GUYS I saw it on The Walking Dead.

:bang:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I don't even remember Maggie having her baby when the gently caress did that happen

Also "infecting the optic nerve" ugghhhh. This "blind leading the blind" metaphor is so loving stupid. The doctor didn't search the loving house? The blind, incredibly sick pastor finds the exact medication that he needs? Jesus gently caress give me a break and I'm barely 15 minutes in

Edit: hahahaha hamfisted is: finding the next plot step in a literal piggy bank

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 12, 2018

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty

Johnny Truant posted:

I don't even remember Maggie having her baby when the gently caress did that happen

That was the random kid Rick found in a crib in an outpost earlier this season.

Maggie is in her 96th week of pregnancy at this point.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Next week on TWD: "Mr. Negan, Officer Rick needs you to pull over"

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You know what this show is missing..... car chases.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I think my :filez: copy cut off the end, was there a car chase

Or was it just Tara being mopey some more

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty

Johnny Truant posted:

I think my :filez: copy cut off the end, was there a car chase

Or was it just Tara being mopey some more

The preview for next week’s episode was a really cheesy, green screened car chase between Negan and Rick.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bumblebee posted:

The preview for next week’s episode was a really cheesy, green screened car chase between Negan and Rick.

:allears:

so has the black-Highlander rule now changed to the doctor-Highlander rule?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Negan literally lost none of his men. He can still afford to have them everywhere.
Why do they even bother showing any being killed at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hasselblad posted:

Negan literally lost none of his men. He can still afford to have them everywhere.
Why do they even bother showing any being killed at this point?

This all started with Rick and company killing like sixty saviors with zero casualties, and Negan responded not by slaughtering the lot of them, but by killing two of them.