Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Splicer posted:

The Xenophile FE asked my hive mind for some pops. This made my remaining pops "sad". Also they don't know how to take care of them and they're going to die.

It bugs me more than it should that an Egalitarian civ can't say "Hey it's up to them, we won't stop people moving to your digs, but we ain't forcing them neither." and give a chance for a pop to migrate or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There is specifically an Egalitarian response that's basically "That's not for us to decide," but it's the same as saying no. I'm pretty sure you're unlikely to scrounge up a pop's worth of citizens to voluntarily go live on a farm upspace.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There is specifically an Egalitarian response that's basically "That's not for us to decide," but it's the same as saying no. I'm pretty sure you're unlikely to scrounge up a pop's worth of citizens to voluntarily go live on a farm upspace.

I bet you could easily find a bunch of people who would willingly move to a hyper-advanced civilisation's alien preserve, seems like a pretty cushy life

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shadowlyger posted:

I'm not seeing this, where is it?

(Yes I'm running the beta)

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm on the beta patch, which I think is the only place it shows up right now.

I've had terrible experiences with them in every game. This most recent one, where I had no fleet strength to speak of (I had disbanded my starting fleet and had not rebuilt it yet) and no open borders without starbases, they came at me in three quick successive waves over 270-300 strength each wave and nearly took down my homeworld's starbase. In other games they have been a huge pain the rear end wherever they pop and it requires my entire fleet to handle them.

(Was just a bit higher up on the same page :v: )

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm fairly late in a custom game as a machine empire. I've already won by this point, but I still haven't had a crisis pop. My energy and minerals were totally shored up and in a sustainable position, I had a bunch of fleets that could handle basically anything, but no sign of a crisis.

The remaining 10 empires or so had formed two federations of about 5 empires apiece. I had knocked one of those two on its rear end several times and vassalized one of its members, but despite always kicking their asses up and down the galaxy I was always only taking one small chunk of territory at a time.

So I decided to just claim everything they owned and roll them with overwhelming force. I finally manage to occupy the last planet and...the game freezes and then crashes to desktop on victory because I claimed too many planets and systems at once. Nothing in error or debug logs, but there's a separate assert log that shows an access violation error on every crash.

I've got an i7-7900X with 16GB of RAM, so I doubt it actually is a memory issue. Oh well.

I switched to the borg ray after initially having a deathstar, and while the deathstar is definitely more fun to use the borg ray is more practical for a machine empire. Guess I should have been deathstar-ing fools instead of conquering and assimilating them.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Sedisp posted:

Well he did say you were either lying or didn't click on the big ol button that says defenses.

I did. Well okay, I hit x since that's the hotkey.

It was 70k worth of federation fleet, no starbase was stopping that. Mind it was my first game of 2.0, I was playing Exterminators and had gotten boxed in pretty early on, so I'm pretty sure I was hosed either way. The point is you can't say starbases will make good chokepoints when A: the hyperlanes rarely align well enough to have proper chokepoints, and B: most endgame fleets will mulch any starbase, no matter how many defense platforms you put on them.

Libluini posted:

(Was just a bit higher up on the same page :v: )

(Yeah I noticed that after I quoted a post two-three pages before that. Whoops! :v:)

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah I think I found the problem. If you get rid of your free fleet you'll get destroyed by spaceships. That's kind of how it works.

After several more games I still can't replicate any of the pirate issues people are reporting either - they start out so weak they can't kill an outpost until help arrives and that state lasts for multiple pirate outbreaks. Eventually they get to the point where they might kill one system's worth of mining bases until the 6 or so corvettes needed to stomp them show up from a lot of system away. The highest I've ever seen pirates get is slightly less than 1k power (at which point about 10 corvettes easily exceeded that) and by then there's just no unclaimed space left so pirates cease to exist.

The only time I've had problems with pirates that weren't directly from me doing something glaringly wrong was when their base showed up in a system that already had poo poo in it so I couldn't get to the station to destroy it. They'll keep making larger fleets so eventually I got overwhelmed. So maybe the people with pirate troubles just aren't going to blow up the pirate station?

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

I did. Well okay, I hit x since that's the hotkey.

It was 70k worth of federation fleet, no starbase was stopping that. Mind it was my first game of 2.0, I was playing Exterminators and had gotten boxed in pretty early on, so I'm pretty sure I was hosed either way. The point is you can't say starbases will make good chokepoints when A: the hyperlanes rarely align well enough to have proper chokepoints, and B: most endgame fleets will mulch any starbase, no matter how many defense platforms you put on them.

Except they DO make good choke points and in every game I've played thus far I've been able to set up a choke point and hold off a front or stall it heavily. Yes they will not go toe to toe with a end game doomstack but they will gently caress it up and slow it down or easily turn the tide when you pop your fleet in. Their entire purpose is giving an enemy the choice of avoiding the tar pit (FTL inhibitors make fighting the station a requirement.) or to have to take a jaunt around your empire in order to attack important worlds/shipyards. This makes it easier for you to move fleets into position cut them off or back cap their worlds. They are fortresses not walls.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

ZypherIM posted:

The only time I've had problems with pirates that weren't directly from me doing something glaringly wrong was when their base showed up in a system that already had poo poo in it so I couldn't get to the station to destroy it. They'll keep making larger fleets so eventually I got overwhelmed. So maybe the people with pirate troubles just aren't going to blow up the pirate station?

But the pirate station is a loot pinata full of minerals and energy! And it's only got a <100 combat power.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I didn't try to figure out WHY they wouldn't kill it, it is just the only way I can see it actually turning into a problem.

Taking a break from initial expansion to build 2 corvettes and hire an admiral lets you kill the starter pirate attack, then you can tell it to heal to full and kill the station, and you should lose 0 ships.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

I didn't try to figure out WHY they wouldn't kill it, it is just the only way I can see it actually turning into a problem.

Taking a break from initial expansion to build 2 corvettes and hire an admiral lets you kill the starter pirate attack, then you can tell it to heal to full and kill the station, and you should lose 0 ships.

pirates are also kinetic-heavy, and refitting to all-armor makes your corvettes extremely effective against them. just send your initial 3 corvettes with all-armor and an admiral to attack the pirates while they're fighting an outpost, for the first pirate attack - you probably won't lose any corvettes even though pirates usually start with 4.

for every pirate attack after the first, you should be able to just outmatch them with a normal fleet by itself. if you can't, that's the game telling you to build more ships so that your neighbors don't start sizing you up.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

All I know about pirates in my most recent game is that my piracy risk is apparently so high the game needs to warn me about it every time I load it.

Magil Zeal posted:

So maybe someone can explain to me what game mechanic I'm misunderstanding or what design goal I'm misinterpreting here.

I think this is the straw that broke the camel's back for me, it's a tiny and insignificant and stupid thing but I have no desire to play that game to completion any longer. All that was left in that game was building sandcastles really, the Khan woke up in the 2370s after I had five 200/200 fleets and was on repeatable techs for a while and was very cute but only existed because I allowed it (somewhat disappointing after moving the midgame crisis up 25 years so it would hopefully happen earlier). But the game apparently has seen fit to even deny me the pleasure of building my sandcastles the way I want them (for reasons that are opaque to me), so I think I'm done.

If anyone knows what I'm doing wrong here though, I'd love to hear it. As best as I can tell, these were probably self-modified pops from another empire that I accepted as refugees. Because they're "self-modified" they must have some tag that makes it such that they cannot be resettled because that'd gently caress with their events. Okay, fair enough. Annoying and almost certainly an oversight, but I can at least understand it. But now when I try to set them to undesirables so they'll move off my planets, it changes my default species rights and the rights of a bunch of other species to also be undesirables and starts them migrating away immediately. I tried reloading a few times to make certain I wasn't clicking the wrong thing, I specifically selected this species only to modify the rights of this species only. But it still changes my default rights instead of the rights for this species alone every time I try.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 11, 2018

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Sedisp posted:

Except they DO make good choke points and in every game I've played thus far I've been able to set up a choke point and hold off a front or stall it heavily. Yes they will not go toe to toe with a end game doomstack but they will gently caress it up and slow it down or easily turn the tide when you pop your fleet in. Their entire purpose is giving an enemy the choice of avoiding the tar pit (FTL inhibitors make fighting the station a requirement.) or to have to take a jaunt around your empire in order to attack important worlds/shipyards. This makes it easier for you to move fleets into position cut them off or back cap their worlds. They are fortresses not walls.

This would be a very good point if it didn't take your fleets a century to go anywhere.

Mind that's what 2x wormholes and gateways are for.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I really wanted my Bugzapper BB's with a ton of Cloud Lightning's to be awesome snipers, sitting back there annihilating things left and right with lances of bright lightning. But usually they just decide to stall out, maybe beyond weapon range and do sweet gently caress-all. Tried with all versions of the combat computers since I read about the bug with range increases. Still no dice.

Now they are fitted with 5xL Plasma Cannons and they love salvoing blobs of hot plasma death at whatever is too stupid to keep away. It works for me!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My main beef with pirates is that if you free up a system from mining drones or leviathans or whatever, they'll often pop up faster than the time it takes to survey/outpost that system. Unless they'd been hanging out in their wretched hive of scum and villainy while that star eater was munching on Betelgeuse, there should be a longer grace period. :argh:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Jazerus posted:

pirates are also kinetic-heavy, and refitting to all-armor makes your corvettes extremely effective against them. just send your initial 3 corvettes with all-armor and an admiral to attack the pirates while they're fighting an outpost, for the first pirate attack - you probably won't lose any corvettes even though pirates usually start with 4.

for every pirate attack after the first, you should be able to just outmatch them with a normal fleet by itself. if you can't, that's the game telling you to build more ships so that your neighbors don't start sizing you up.

Hell just let your outpost help and you can kill pirates easily with your starting corvettes for years. Do bring armor or numbers to the station fight though, because despite having pretty crappy weapons, it has a lot of hull and it will disenagage some corvettes if the numbers aren't high enough.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

This would be a very good point if it didn't take your fleets a century to go anywhere.

Except that it also takes their fleets the same amount of time to go anywhere except now they have to path around a station or fight a station.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shadowlyger posted:

Are you not splitting up your fleets?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
On my recent victory I basically built gateways every 4 or so system hops because anything beyond that felt like hell if I needed to cut off an enemy fleet.

Actually, thinking about it, I’m fine with fleet speed since during non combat it feels about right. I think the problem that the fleet speed compared to battle length is just way off.

If it took longer for an enemy fleet to knock down a starbase, than it takes a corvette fleet to move 3-4 jumps then those fortresses would actually have a use.

Not sure how you could rework this without messing up the general flow of the game. Space battles should probably not take years per engagement.

Maybe you could change it so once the ships are in hyperspace they have to follow the node pattern, but not drop back into realspace and slowboat across each system. You could add a speed per node setting per hyperdrive level, and even maybe make the station hyperspace register make the jump to the next node instant so you could build a super highway through your core area instead of just building a gateway in every single core system like I did last game.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My main issue with the speed of travel now is for civilian ships. They're just so drat slow that at times I've dismantled science or construction ships and rebuilt them closer to their intended destinations.

Malick23
Sep 10, 2001
I bought all my friends forum accounts and all I got was this lousy custom title
Has anyone completed the Enigmatic Fortress in the 2.0.2 beta? I read that it was fixed in the patch notes but after I disabeled it and sent a team in the event chain appears to have stalled. It's not the end of the world but I wanted to see the Enigmatic tech in 2.0 I'm playing without mods.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My main beef with pirates is that if you free up a system from mining drones or leviathans or whatever, they'll often pop up faster than the time it takes to survey/outpost that system. Unless they'd been hanging out in their wretched hive of scum and villainy while that star eater was munching on Betelgeuse, there should be a longer grace period. :argh:

I just had a pirate base appear within seconds of destroying some crystal entities, my fleet hadn't even left the system yet even though I hit the repair button right after killing the pirates. I even brought a science ship and a construction ship because I knew I wanted the system, they both freaked out and left.

Not a big deal, but I can't believe that's the way it's supposed to work.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Fleets in-system should be like armies and unrest in EU4. Or just straight make them spawn somewhere else. What bunch of numbskull pirates is gonna set up shop under the guns of a looming fleet?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I really like the new jump mechanics, but really hate that I now have to manually plot every jump when moving them across an empire to get them to where they're going quickly. It wouldn't be so bad if building gates wasn't locked behind Mega-Engineering for some sadistic reason.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Aethernet posted:

I really like the new jump mechanics, but really hate that I now have to manually plot every jump when moving them across an empire to get them to where they're going quickly. It wouldn't be so bad if building gates wasn't locked behind Mega-Engineering for some sadistic reason.

It does make the Master Builders perk more attractive at least. If only that wasn't locked behind Zero-Point Power.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Ok let's try playing a Devouring Swarm, beat up my neighbor, take their planet, time for the food to roll on in, lemme just crank up my food stockpile, make sure they're set to processing, and onto the next plane -*is suddenly at -14 food income, captured planet is producing hella negative food because the population is at 100 unrest because they're supposed to be turning into food*-

So do I basically have to pay a 100 income patrol drones edict tax per planet if I actually, you know, want to have one of the main features of this particular racial setup?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Archenteron posted:

So do I basically have to pay a 100 income patrol drones edict tax per planet if I actually, you know, want to have one of the main features of this particular racial setup?

Yes.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

There are some other things that mitigate it, but consider that you're not paying any influence to claim systems for wars, and you're coming out ahead anyways.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Magil Zeal posted:

It does make the Master Builders perk more attractive at least. If only that wasn't locked behind Zero-Point Power.

And Voidbourne. I don't want to pick up a perk best used for smaller empires to get a benefit best used by larger empires. I'd be happy if gatebuilding showed up after citadels and jump drive, both of which are much easier to get than ME.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Aethernet posted:

And Voidbourne. I don't want to pick up a perk best used for smaller empires to get a benefit best used by larger empires. I'd be happy if gatebuilding showed up after citadels and jump drive, both of which are much easier to get than ME.

Yeah, that's fair. I took Voidborne in my robots game and never build a single habitat just because the Influence was better used elsewhere, just so I could get Master Builders. It's not a very good situation. I probably could've done better, but I really like building things and also wanted Galactic Wonders.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Archenteron posted:

Ok let's try playing a Devouring Swarm, beat up my neighbor, take their planet, time for the food to roll on in, lemme just crank up my food stockpile, make sure they're set to processing, and onto the next plane -*is suddenly at -14 food income, captured planet is producing hella negative food because the population is at 100 unrest because they're supposed to be turning into food*-

Turns out people don't like being eaten

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Turns out people don't like being eaten

This seems like a problem that solves itself, given time.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Archenteron posted:

Well my man it's like how you're supposed to kill cattle quickly and painlessly if the beef is to taste good, by letting them resist and be fearful they are producing terrible food

Mundrial Mantis
Aug 15, 2017

Martout posted:

Sooo when starting a Determined Exterminators game, after about 1 month my Planetary Administration building disappears (prob because it's not the robots one?) and I have to spend 2 years and 350 minerals to build and upgrade the proper building to even be at where I should start :(

Anyone else get this? Running no mods and the 2.0.2 beta thing, tried remaking the empire and starting several games. Starting a non-exterminator machine empire works as normal.

e: apparently it's a known issue and there's a mod to fix it

Terminator Start Fix (2.0.2)

Thank you! I was wondering why there wasn't an admin building.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Anyone had any luck fighting the contingency in the latest patch? My fleets keep getting ripped to shreds. Last fight I lost 9/98 corvettes, 16/29 battleships and a titan. They lost 10/20 seekers and 5/9 warforms.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Okay, which is a higher priority to get up and running first if you had to pick between them: Ringworlds or Galactic Wonders?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Is there an easy type of space rear end in a top hat to play? I’ve normally played as non-xenophobic nice guys, but I think that it’s time to dip my toe into the conquest pond. Are drive assimilators more forgiving than, say, hiveminds? Or is it better to just be a xenophobic space racist so I can at least pretend to engage in diplomacy.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is there an easy type of space rear end in a top hat to play? I’ve normally played as non-xenophobic nice guys, but I think that it’s time to dip my toe into the conquest pond. Are drive assimilators more forgiving than, say, hiveminds? Or is it better to just be a xenophobic space racist so I can at least pretend to engage in diplomacy.

Do you want to have vassals/tributaries or not?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Archenteron posted:

You can move their pops to your worlds' empty spaces and/or farms, or swap them with existing pops if their planet doesn't suck, which balances out the unrest.

This is less viable early on due to energy costs, but later on I've had enough of a surplus that it didn't really matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Tributaries kinda own with the latest changes to Domination. They give you money and fleet cap and don't gently caress around in your wars like crappy allies.