Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
you will believe a boat can learn to fly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Skippy McPants posted:

So, is this show good? I was thinking about bringing what's on Netflix, but then I saw it goes for a Chronicles of Narnia style of thing and got kinda hesitant.

I watched it over the holidays and fell in love with it. It mashes the Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia styles together while pulling from other fantasies and ultimately does its own thing. I was hooked from the beginning and fell in love with the characters. Eliot and Margot are the best. It's hilarious, it's unnerving, it's clever, it's touching, and it's great. Watch it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Skippy McPants posted:

So, is this show good? I was thinking about bringing what's on Netflix, but then I saw it goes for a Chronicles of Narnia style of thing and got kinda hesitant.

Season is rough, stick with it.

I watched it because I loved the books and wanted to see the adaptation. It struggled with a small budget, and an uneven tone where it was trying to follow the plot of the books and not really succeeding all that well. As the season went on, there were small moments that really shined, and they began to focus on those.

By season 2, the show become a wonderful guilty pleasure, and I eagerly watched it.

Season 3 it's now probably the most fun, and funniest, show on television.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skippy McPants posted:

It's more a send-up of Narnia than it is legitimate Narnia. Like every time some Narnia like thing happens it's coupled with something hilarious, dumb, hosed up or often all three. (When it's dumb, the characters know it's dumb, it's not unintentional).

Also the characters also grow, a lot. They don't stay where they start.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 10, 2018

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nihonniboku posted:

Season is rough, stick with it.

I watched it because I loved the books and wanted to see the adaptation. It struggled with a small budget, and an uneven tone where it was trying to follow the plot of the books and not really succeeding all that well. As the season went on, there were small moments that really shined, and they began to focus on those.

By season 2, the show become a wonderful guilty pleasure, and I eagerly watched it.

Season 3 it's now probably the most fun, and funniest, show on television.

It's a legit show after about 5 episodes. But i don't think it's a slog.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The Chronicles of Self-Interested Assholes (and Narnia).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Stank posted:

My only complaint about this episode is that it was billed as a musical episode for the past month on instagram and then there were only 3 songs.
I think not knowing that probably helped my enjoyment of it. If I'd been expecting a musical episode I'd have been incredibly disappointed, but since I had no expectations I couldn't be.

Skippy McPants posted:

The first season is awful, but you probably still need to watch it to enjoy the rest because it sets up so much about characters that the stuff they do later probably wouldn't make sense if you didn't already have a good sense of who they are and what they've been through.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Blazing Ownager posted:

It's more a send-up of Narnia than it is legitimate Narnia. Like every time some Narnia like thing happens it's coupled with something hilarious, dumb, hosed up or often all three. (When it's dumb, the characters know it's dumb, it's not unintentional).

Also the characters also grow, a lot. They don't stay where they start.

Fillory was originally supposed to be Narnia but Grossman changed it so he could do more stuff without being beholden to being a work of parody

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Party God Josh is the best character.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Rhyno posted:

Party God Josh is the best character.

Stoked for Josh not to appear in any more episodes.

Edit: that sounds mean, but like, he's a normal fine character that we don't need to learn anymore about him and this would be a hilarious point to drop him

anothergod fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 11, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

I think not knowing that probably helped my enjoyment of it. If I'd been expecting a musical episode I'd have been incredibly disappointed, but since I had no expectations I couldn't be.

I can't help but understand what you're saying. I on the other hand was going "I'm really not in the mood for a full on musical right now, but I want to catch up" was pleasantly meant with an episode that had a couple songs in it but was decidedly not a musical.

And not just from the lack of music. The characters that were singing were doing so because of the story, not some odd metanarrative reason to sing their emotions. Hell they weren't even singing their emotions, they were singing cover songs.

Tiggum posted:

The first season is awful, but you probably still need to watch it to enjoy the rest because it sets up so much about characters that the stuff they do later probably wouldn't make sense if you didn't already have a good sense of who they are and what they've been through.

I wouldn't say the first season is awful at all, though honestly I think the whole show truly gets into gear when Julia is raped because that's when the show goes from a decent show that feels kind of safe and like they'd not do anything TOO hosed up, just a little off, to holy poo poo this gets dark. It just gets darker and darker from there and by the end of season 1 you've got a great split between this comedic tone with tons of stuff loaded with magical whimsy and 'holy gently caress is this messed up' I can't help but find fascinating.

So quote Margo from this season, "She'd probably fly in on some whimsical creature, then start ripping out throats." Magicians in a nutshell.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Fillory was originally supposed to be Narnia but Grossman changed it so he could do more stuff without being beholden to being a work of parody

I didn't know that! That said, I do think the biggest reason for the change bar none is definitely not wanting to turn a real historical person into a pedophile with a child torture ghost house. That'd definitely step over some lines if using a real historical person.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 11, 2018

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

I thought the first season got dark at times what with characters turning tricks for magic.

Lol I made a pun

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I can't help but understand what you're saying. I on the other hand was going "I'm really not in the mood for a full on musical right now, but I want to catch up" was pleasantly meant with an episode that had a couple songs in it but was decidedly not a musical.

And not just from the lack of music. The characters that were singing were doing so because of the story, not some odd metanarrative reason to sing their emotions. Hell they weren't even singing their emotions, they were singing cover songs.

Yeah, that was kind of my take too. I'm not a big fan of "musical episodes" and was dreading the standard forced gimmick episode. So the fact that they actually didn't do that and just had a couple of numbers with a purpose actually was a huge relief to me and probably made me like the episode more.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

zeal posted:

alice
Slytherin Hermoine

This is too good to not get noticed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It does make sense.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I like that they justified the music and dubbing through the use of magic, once they have their party trick magic of course they'd be able to make people hear songs and enhance their voices with studio recording-level instant dubbing.

Slytherin Hermoine really sums up Alice so drat well, good work. Julia's well on her way to being just straight up Harry Potter at this point as someone with a lovely past but who's trying to do the right thing, and they are both characters whose respective traumas loom large over their entire lives.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Just looked up the title for this week's episode.... hoo boy. Was there a preview anywhere?

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Just looked up the title for this week's episode.... hoo boy. Was there a preview anywhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-b0E-gXbS8

Shuffle fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 14, 2018

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

gif of a crab with a knife?

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Was that Colonel Tigh? Him drawling our “dont worry” sounds very much like him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes, that was Michael Hogan. He certainly looks like he lost a lot of weight, dude was scrawny.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The "head come off" machine seems like something that should have been foreseen.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

The fillory faeries suck but gently caress of that wasn’t cathartic. gently caress those slavers.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

muscles like this! posted:

gif of a crab with a knife?

It's how I feel

VVV: That seemed to me like a reference to the Persephone story, where she could come and go from Hades as long as she didn't eat anything while down there. Penny eating the cupcake is him resigning himself to never leaving the underworld.

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 15, 2018

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
wonderin' what's in those cupcakes.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Grognan posted:

wonderin' what's in those cupcakes.

Over/under on some kind of pomegranate seed deal here?

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah with Hades popping up that cupcake was 100% glazed with a pomegranate reduction.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Julia had a not selfish and well known reason for her actions, they just happened to run counter to the group's interests for a while. That has been resolved and is not an issue any more.

Can you please explain the "not selfish" part of literally consumed by a thirst for vengeance above all else?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

theCalamity posted:

The fillory faeries suck but gently caress of that wasn’t cathartic. gently caress those slavers.

Oh yeah. When the Fairy Queen was giving her violent uprising speech, I was like "Hey! This is the first time she's said poo poo like this I can totally agree with."

Also I think it does add some depth to the Faeries to know that they had a reason to hate humans and magicians, and that their entire realm was created to escape them in the first place. Also how they are weak and vulnerable if their deals can be broken. It goes a long way towards giving them some depth.

I have a feeling the solution is obviously going to be the Faeries being given some land in Fillory and ultimately allying with them.

Woden
May 6, 2006
I'm hoping the fairies get genocided via key theft.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Woden posted:

I'm hoping the fairies get genocided via key theft.

That does seem like the sort of thing Slytherin Hermione would do, now she's on the quest...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How are fairies weak without deals if they have magic? Seems like that would put them ahead of non-magic types like the Lorians.

Also, what do we think will happen to Irene, the lady who escaped the red wedding dinner?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Blazing Ownager posted:

Oh yeah. When the Fairy Queen was giving her violent uprising speech, I was like "Hey! This is the first time she's said poo poo like this I can totally agree with."

Yeah, I kept thinking she was going to say to kill all the humans or magicians or something, but when she actually said slavers instead I was like "wait, yeah, that actually sounds like a good thing"

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
woo colonel tigh

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

User posted:

Can you please explain the "not selfish" part of literally consumed by a thirst for vengeance above all else?

She wanted to stop him from doing it to other people, which we saw him doing, repeatedly.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Norwegian Rudo posted:

She wanted to stop him from doing it to other people, which we saw him doing, repeatedly.

Bullshit. If he promised never to hurt another soul ever again in some kind of binding geas sort of way it wouldn't have reduced her thirst for vengeance an iota. Keeping him from doing it again is a nice bonus, but it clearly wasn't her motivation.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

zeal posted:

woo colonel tigh

Dean Fogg is a cylon confirmed.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Fen for breakout character of the year.

squidgee posted:

Dean Fogg is a cylon confirmed.

I have this thought every time

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Fenn has had some high points this season for sure. I wonder if she’s not going to end up ruling Fillory, or die trying of course. Other than that though, this episode kind of felt like a breather after the last couple and before the season wraps. But I did like Hades’ “magic is a carrot” speech, and the set up for other worlds to move on to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

I wouldn't say the first season is awful at all, though honestly I think the whole show truly gets into gear when Julia is raped

Not downplaying this at all, but I think the horror episode at the Chatwin house Martin is raped. Eliot's response (then later juxtaposed with Julia) is when the show found its voice.