Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Axetrain posted:

Huh I am pretty sure I built one in my last game. You know it's a starbase upgrade right?

Yeah there was no option, here's the old screenshot:

There's a mining station there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

It's apparently incredibly rare. Something like you'd need some ridiculous amount of game years to see it on average. Last game, I got an offer from all but The End.

I understand why it's not in MP because it is the most dangerous of all the crises and one player can literally ruin the entire galaxy, but it's also extremely cool. I definitely think it's rare enough to just put it in MP with an option to disable it if people are truly concerned about it.

I'm playing Psionic just to get a chance of seeing it. It's one of the coolest things in Stellaris, I think, but falls into the trap of 'no one sees it'.

It should be in multiplayer as a "I'm bored lets start triggering disasters" option

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I really dont get organic vassal's thought processes. They're super unhappy every organic is plugged into the matrix for power, but their opinion of me jumped way back up when I just decided to liquidate them all.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

hobbesmaster posted:

It should be in multiplayer as a "I'm bored lets start triggering disasters" option

It might make Grasp The Void worth taking. :v:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

UGH my robot neighbours dont want to join my federation because I'm a machine! What you think you're too good for us now?! :mad:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Are you sure it's not because they're machines?

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
So, I was dumb to be a pacifist but be too strong for anyone to want to fight me, right? I feel like there's nothing to do now that I defeated the Contingency and my whole federation seems to be made of pacifists and nobody else will join.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Anonononomous posted:

So, I was dumb to be a pacifist but be too strong for anyone to want to fight me, right? I feel like there's nothing to do now that I defeated the Contingency and my whole federation seems to be made of pacifists and nobody else will join.

Settle everything. Build habitats or ringworlds. Eventually you'll pick up a Federation or Domination victory

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Finally, I won.
First time after 350 hours. I almost feel like I should frame it. I don't think I got the achievement though. Maybe because I'm not president?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Anonononomous posted:

You can use the Factions menu to promote competing factions and eventually replace your governing ethics to something less pacifist, if you're looking for a fight.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Edit: Wrong thread.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GotLag posted:

Are you sure it's not because they're machines?

Maybe, seems ambiguous?

Hit my next ascension perk. I'm torn between Galactic Wonders and Machine Worlds. The wonders look great but they're so expensive? Machine worlds look more suitable for my session.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nemo2342 posted:

It's not /that/ bad to get people to like your Assimilators, though it can be pretty expensive. You basically have to give them free research agreements to build up trust, then spam them with gifts until you can hopefully get a non-aggression pact with them. It does get easier later on once you can add in Emotion Emulators for a free +25 though.

Does the size of the gift matter, or just whatever it takes to hit the green 1?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Maybe, seems ambiguous?

Yeah, that penalty is because Machine Intelligences are naturally more resistant to joining Federations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Magil Zeal posted:

It's a legitimate question, though. I am wondering if there's something I'm missing in the options for species rights. Is there a way to set undesirables for this species in particular without changing my default species rights?

There is supposed to be. The fact that it's not working properly is probably a bug. (I don't have any experience with selectively setting species rights because I tend to play monospecies empires). You might have better luck fixing it by posting a bug report on the Paradox forums - we have two devs posting here but a lot more not-devs who have neither the knowledge (nor the temperament, because, dude, you've been kind of an Eeyore since 2.0 dropped and it does get wearing) to answer that question.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Maybe, seems ambiguous?

Hit my next ascension perk. I'm torn between Galactic Wonders and Machine Worlds. The wonders look great but they're so expensive? Machine worlds look more suitable for my session.

Machine worlds let you rack up resources way faster to build said wonders, and only take 10k energy

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Malick23 posted:

Has anyone completed the Enigmatic Fortress in the 2.0.2 beta? I read that it was fixed in the patch notes but after I disabeled it and sent a team in the event chain appears to have stalled. It's not the end of the world but I wanted to see the Enigmatic tech in 2.0 I'm playing without mods.

I completed it today. It's possible, but it's a loving hassle, because it is emphatically not fixed. Every 10 days or so the fortress will respawn without fail, so you'll need to park a fleet on it to keep it down, and it'll try to give you another situation log entry. After you get the first exploration event, make sure to pick the "Leave it alone" option thereafter or your situation log will fill up with events and you won't even be able to select the follow-ups necessary to complete the chain. Also, sometimes an event in the chain will just fail to show up in your log for no discernible reason - I had this happen both with the very first event, and with the second-to-last - so savescum vigorously or you could get screwed out of the entire chain. It does eventually complete though!

Has anyone else had an issue with gateways and wormholes messing up fleets' priorities on where to upgrade or repair? I have a gateway-heavy game going right now, and I simply cannot get fleets to repair at sensible stations anymore. They could be literally sitting on top of a station full of shipyards with nothing in the queue, but hit repair or upgrade and they're off to the nearest gateway to jump all the way across the galaxy to some other random gateway-linked station, one which has fewer shipyards and something already in its queue, to get the work done. It's not even prioritizing their home base: as far as I can tell it's completely random which station they pick, and once one fleet fixates on a gateway-linked station, they all do, even if they start out in different systems. Is anyone else seeing this? I'm baffled.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Settle everything. Build habitats or ringworlds. Eventually you'll pick up a Federation or Domination victory

Galaxy has long been completely settled. I used the Contingency crisis to steal a bunch of planets from people who wouldn't join the federation, but we're still not close to the 60%.

Guess I should try flipping from pacifist. I did get the Worm chain, so I have a violent faction.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

Why are Frankenstein's monster and Poe fighting and making popcorn this is insane. Also it almost sounds like everyone has an american accident or something. Absolute madness and I understand none of it but it feels very much like stellaris.

that's how you negotiate a research agreement

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Kestral posted:

I completed it today. It's possible, but it's a loving hassle, because it is emphatically not fixed. Every 10 days or so the fortress will respawn without fail, so you'll need to park a fleet on it to keep it down, and it'll try to give you another situation log entry. After you get the first exploration event, make sure to pick the "Leave it alone" option thereafter or your situation log will fill up with events and you won't even be able to select the follow-ups necessary to complete the chain. Also, sometimes an event in the chain will just fail to show up in your log for no discernible reason - I had this happen both with the very first event, and with the second-to-last - so savescum vigorously or you could get screwed out of the entire chain. It does eventually complete though!

I completed it last night with precisely none of those problems.

Kestral posted:

Has anyone else had an issue with gateways and wormholes messing up fleets' priorities on where to upgrade or repair? I have a gateway-heavy game going right now, and I simply cannot get fleets to repair at sensible stations anymore. They could be literally sitting on top of a station full of shipyards with nothing in the queue, but hit repair or upgrade and they're off to the nearest gateway to jump all the way across the galaxy to some other random gateway-linked station, one which has fewer shipyards and something already in its queue, to get the work done. It's not even prioritizing their home base: as far as I can tell it's completely random which station they pick, and once one fleet fixates on a gateway-linked station, they all do, even if they start out in different systems. Is anyone else seeing this? I'm baffled.

I put gates in my shipyard systems and the issues I've seen are fleets in one shipyard system will move to another shipyard do repair or upgrade - pure speculation on my part but I'm wondering if it's due to weighting on gateways in pathfinding.

The other problem I found was that a fleet with an upgrade order went to its home shipyard (my capital) but failed to actually start upgrading, because every vassal had parked its science ships there (no more exploration left) and I'm guessing there were no free orbit slots or something?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

GotLag posted:

I put gates in my shipyard systems and the issues I've seen are fleets in one shipyard system will move to another shipyard do repair or upgrade - pure speculation on my part but I'm wondering if it's due to weighting on gateways in pathfinding.

Yeah I've had the upgrade pathfinding weirdness in a couple games now and it is always gateway related. I do the same thing, gateways in all my shipyard systems and it seems like sometimes it picks one at random where everyone must upgrade, no matter what.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So my energy was pretty much breaking even.

Installed the 2.0.2. patch so I could get my CBs and claims all fixed up as a mech empire.

load the game back up and I'm losing 200 energy per turn. :stonk:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Can you still not build a black hole research center around the black hole? That was kinda annoying since it's a thing you should be able to do. I submitted a bug report way back.

No, I can't build the observatory on it. I tried downgrading the starbase and upgrading it again to see if that would make it run a check again, still no dice.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Is there still a mining station on it from before it went weird?

Yes, the station was still there, I checked by dismantling it and the star/BH still has the same resource it did before.

E: ^^^ All your outposts cost energy for upkeep now, good luck un-loving that before it tears your empire apart!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Anonononomous posted:

Galaxy has long been completely settled. I used the Contingency crisis to steal a bunch of planets from people who wouldn't join the federation, but we're still not close to the 60%.

Guess I should try flipping from pacifist. I did get the Worm chain, so I have a violent faction.

Each habitat built counts toward the40% and 60% goals.

You can eventually own enough to just win.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Aerdan posted:

Content:

Would there be any interest in reviving the Reworked Planetary Diversity mod and making it compatible with 2.0? I ask cos that was one of the mods I really enjoyed back around 1.5/1.6, before I dropped Stellaris for a while.

What's the difference between that and the regular diversity mod? The regular one already updated.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So bought this during the sale, very satisfied. Will buy apocalypse when it goes on sale. Wiz rules.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Synthbuttrange posted:

So my energy was pretty much breaking even.

Installed the 2.0.2. patch so I could get my CBs and claims all fixed up as a mech empire.

load the game back up and I'm losing 200 energy per turn. :stonk:

I believe they turned the level 0 station from 0 upkeep to 1 upkeep.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Arrath posted:

E: ^^^ All your outposts cost energy for upkeep now, good luck un-loving that before it tears your empire apart!

Outposts costing energy is something I hope they look at--and run with. It feels pretty good and natural, and if it was beefed up a bit it could replace the somewhat problematic research penalty. I've seen Paradox catch some flak for adding this on their forums but I actually quite like the idea.

I think an interesting idea to play with would be to make it scale based on the distance to your nearest colony, such that it'd be expensive to maintain starbases very far away from home but relatively cheap to maintain ones nearby.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SmokaDustbowl posted:

that's how you negotiate a research agreement

Gotta be tough if you want to get those orbital mind control lasers

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its probably okay if you started a game with those energy requirements but switching midgame is horrific. Scrambling all over to scrape up energy and trade deals.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

Outposts costing energy is something I hope they look at--and run with. It feels pretty good and natural, and if it was beefed up a bit it could replace the somewhat problematic research penalty. I've seen Paradox catch some flak for adding this on their forums but I actually quite like the idea.

I think an interesting idea to play with would be to make it scale based on the distance to your nearest colony, such that it'd be expensive to maintain starbases very far away from home but relatively cheap to maintain ones nearby.

Oh no I agree I think it works. Though I don't much like the idea of it getting super expensive for level 0 outposts merely cause I want pretty borders and there are some garbage systems out there. It can be a bit of a shock going from 2.0 to the beta patch and getting schwacked by the new upkeep, was the point of my post there. It hit me pretty hard when I updated. Then I learned that every colonized system gets a fully stocked trading hub base and I've been fine.

The 25 slot gaia planet I found early on with 3 beth-stone deposits (that totally threw my chokepoint and expansion plan all out of whack, fuckin worth it) helped cushion that poo poo, tho.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Magil Zeal posted:

Yeah, that penalty is because Machine Intelligences are naturally more resistant to joining Federations.

My Fed buddy Prime Directive (a murderbot) had no problems joining my federation. Its sad but Dekron Prime chose to join our rival federation, so they had to go to the scrapheap.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

Its probably okay if you started a game with those energy requirements but switching midgame is horrific. Scrambling all over to scrape up energy and trade deals.

Oh absolutely, a midgame empire that wasn't prepared for it could be crippled. Early on now I like to make my first few starbases Trade Hub-focused as pop-free sources of energy. Helps to offset that. Refitting a few starbases might help cushion the blow, it's not too expensive to do so.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I got over it by going to the traders to convert my flow of minerals into energy, then rejigging my sectors and stations. Everything's back in balance now.

Also that declare war option really needs to tell you who else is being dragged into the fight. Dammit.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Demiurge4 posted:

What's the difference between that and the regular diversity mod? The regular one already updated.

Reworked Planetary Diversity merged PD and Reworked Planets, which puts the planets on two axes (temperature vertically, humidity horizontally) and expands habitability (this was back before the habitability revamp).

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Is consecrated worlds worth it at all?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Consecrate worlds is probably the best perk that has no perk prerequisites.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Three Moves Ahead has done a reasonably balanced overview of 2.0, nerd podcast fans:

https://www.idlethumbs.net/3ma/episodes/stellaris-2-0-apocalypse

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So I decided no more mister nice bot, and set all the recently conquered organics to be purged.

A few months later my new sectors completely evaporated as the last organics were killed off. The govenor didnt build replacement robots so the planets got 0 pops and everything in the sector got demolished except the outposts. :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Organics: Not even once.