Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Rolo posted:

If it’s even close it has me interested enough to try to find a book or journal on it, this movie is brutal.

E: Ooh, the original creator of the experiment wrote a book. Netflix is gonna make me buy a thing.

At the very least you should be aware of how the experiment's been criticized and questioned after it got Big (the wiki page is brief but alright). I wouldn't buy Zimbardo's book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

flatluigi posted:

At the very least you should be aware of how the experiment's been criticized and questioned after it got Big (the wiki page is brief but alright). I wouldn't buy Zimbardo's book.

I’ll check it out! No money has been dropped yet.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

wormil posted:

I watched about 10 minutes and got the impression it was the kind of show with lots of detail and would require attention. I wasn't in the mood at the time and haven't gotten back to it. Was I wrong?

It's a pretty big cast to deal with at first but it gets pretty managable.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

Zimbardo's book is all about how he did a poo poo job running the experiment and it going out of control was completely his fault for becoming too involved with the "prison" and not adhering to ethical principles. It's not a book about how awesome his experiment was.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Mindhunter is great overall even if it was built up a bit too much. I look forward to more.

White Gold is mildly amusing. I'm 2 episodes in and will probably watch more. I watched it after binging Inbetweeners. I don't know that it will be that entertaining.

New episodes of The Tick are up.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Jungle, a survival thriller starring Daniel Radcliffe, is on Prime and I liked it.

Dude gets lost in the jungle, starts going nuts, was once Harry Potter, etc.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I can't imagine that it's even the best wilderness survival movie starring Daniel Radcliffe.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I can't imagine that it's even the best wilderness survival movie starring Daniel Radcliffe.

That would be Swiss Army Man :ssh:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Whatever: Part 1 I guess...

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rolo posted:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Whatever: Part 1 I guess...
Harry Potter and the Deathly Boring?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Kevin DuBrow posted:

That would be A Young Doctor's Notebook.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Wow, Moon is back on after however long being unavailable. I need to have a good reliable aggregator to tell me these things.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Doctor Who season 10 is up on prime if anyone watches that show

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Captain Lavender posted:

Wow, Moon is back on after however long being unavailable. I need to have a good reliable aggregator to tell me these things.

InstantWatcher.com isn’t bad. It’s just a column of what’s new next to a column or what’s currently popular.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick
I watched The Breadwinner the other night, very beautiful, very intense towards the end

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Rolo posted:

InstantWatcher.com isn’t bad. It’s just a column of what’s new next to a column or what’s currently popular.

Oh, thanks very much.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The Mist

Isn’t that great!

E: it’s a Spike original and didn’t make it past one season. I should’ve looked for red flags before watching any of it.

Rolo has a new favorite as of 04:29 on Mar 20, 2018

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Nailed It has some weird sexual harassment then one episode there's this lady that just shits all over Trump for half the episode.

It's ok.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Grem posted:

Nailed It has some weird sexual harassment then one episode there's this lady that just shits all over Trump for half the episode.

It's ok.
My girlfriend watches this and calls me over for the cake reveals. A lot of them are hilarious but I can't stand the full show.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

My girlfriend watches this and calls me over for the cake reveals. A lot of them are hilarious but I can't stand the full show.

There is way too much obnoxious poo poo in the show but I stuck through it because my wife's reactions were hilarious. I think it's a show best enjoyed if you don't know/care about baker but are watching it with someone who does.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I watched it because I saw Ron Ben-israel in the preview but I haven't seen his episode yet. I want to like Nicole Byer but I feel like the show forces her to be very obnoxious.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

jodai posted:

I watched it because I saw Ron Ben-israel in the preview but I haven't seen his episode yet. I want to like Nicole Byer but I feel like the show forces her to be very obnoxious.

I mentioned this in the other streaming thread, but he never shows up! I'm assuming they filmed more episodes but I didn't air them all yet.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I kind of hate Santa Clarita Diet because it goes some loving amazing places but the first few episodes are kind of sad, so now I have to be That Guy and be like "trust me, it gets better"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I watched The Pool from Amazon Prime today and it wasn't terrible I guess? It kept me occupied during a two hour road trip. Without spoiling too much two families go camping and they trespass to go to a spot by a pond and then Bad Stuff Happens. It's from the Netherlands I believe so if you don't like subtitles this might not be a good choice.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Straight White Shark posted:

I kind of hate Santa Clarita Diet because it goes some loving amazing places but the first few episodes are kind of sad, so now I have to be That Guy and be like "trust me, it gets better"

S2 starts strong, just done with the first episode. It's a really good show.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

It's good

I'm That Guy who has a duck call for a ring tone

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm always amazing to hear people that have Netflix as their main entertainment source and haven't heard of it.

Love that show.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Santa Clarita Diet is really good. It also helps if you've had a crush on Drew Barrymore since you were 10 years old like me.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Game Over, Man is profoundly stupid, and it knows it's profoundly stupid, but it still manages to be funny at parts. It's basically the Workaholics guys doing Die Hard.

Whole lotta dong in the film, though. And more analingus than I was expecting.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I liked workaholics early on but they wore out my attention fast. They seemed to “flanderize” faster than most sitcom characters.

Sounds like I should skip it.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

It was fun for a stoned watching on Saturday morning, but I was happy it was over by the end.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

food court bailiff posted:

Game Over, Man is profoundly stupid, and it knows it's profoundly stupid, but it still manages to be funny at parts. It's basically the Workaholics guys doing Die Hard.

I think you understated the amount of dong. I agree with everything though.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

food court bailiff posted:

The violence is also... something else. I don't want to describe individual scenes, because it's kinda better to go in blind, but drat. They go for it. Extremely fun and the first time I heard anyone talk that much about salvia since, like, 2004.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Boss Baby is the worst movie I’ve ever seen.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend likes to watch those 3d Animated movies, shes at least seen most of the Disney/Pixar ones and probably a handful of the lower tier ones, and both boss baby and the emoji movie she was like "no that looks stupid"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rolo posted:

Boss Baby is the worst movie I’ve ever seen.

It could have been worse. At least if you close your eyes you get a Sam's Choice Jack Donaghy going on a crusade against puppies.

It's not like bee movie which has no redeeming qualities

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
What are good food+travel shows? On Netflix I've seen a few episodes of Bourdain: Parts Unknown and Ainsley Eats the Streets, and the pilots of Ugly Delicious and Somebody Feel Phil. I wasn't in love with any of the hosts.

Bourdain seems to switch from charming and funny to smug and weirdly masculine, but my girlfriend despises him to the point of refusing to watch. Ainsley is funny but sometimes overbearing with his jokes and energy, and I don't enjoy the part of each episode where he makes his own version of a region's dish. Phil is really nice, but also boring and unfunny. I joked that he behaved like a TV sitcom dad before being told that he's the creator of Everyone Loves Raymond. Beautiful shots, though.

My favorite food show, although not necessarily a travel show, is Chef's Table. It also doesn't have a host, what a coincidence.

Kevin DuBrow has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Mar 31, 2018

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Kevin DuBrow posted:

What are good food+travel shows? On Netflix I've seen a few episodes of Bourdain: Parts Unknown and Ainsley Eats the Streets, and the pilots of Ugly Delicious and Somebody Feel Phil. I wasn't in love with any of the hosts.

Bourdain seems to switch from charming and funny to smug and weirdly masculine, but my girlfriend despises him to the point of refusing to watch. Ainsley is funny but sometimes overbearing with his jokes and energy, and I don't enjoy the part of each episode where he makes his own version of a region's dish. Phil is really nice, but also boring and unfunny. I joked that he behaved like a TV sitcom dad before being told that he's the creator of Everyone Loves Raymond. Beautiful shots, though.

My favorite food show, although not necessarily a travel show, is Chef's Table. It also doesn't have a host, what a coincidence.

I haven't seen every episode of Ugly Delicious yet, but it's my favorite food/travel show I've ever seen. I'm trying to make them last because it's such a short season.

I am also a huge Bourdain fan, but I realize his personality and style can be off-putting for some. You may prefer a somewhat more mature and thoughtful Bourdain on his current show, No Reservations, on CNN. It's pretty much the same schtick as Parts Unknown and A Cook's Tour even before that, but with much higher production value.

If you can ever find The Getaway anywhere, watch that. It's the same as Parts Unknown/No Reservations, but with a celebrity spending a few days in a city, eating, drinking, and playing tourist. Most of the episodes had cool, funny, fun hosts like Aisha Tyler, Rashida Jones, Joel McHale, Aziz Ansari, Kyle McLachlan, Jenny Slate, and Seth Meyers (and his brother).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou has a new favorite as of 05:32 on Mar 31, 2018

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I understand how Bourdain can get on people's nerves but No Reservations is a really good show, he's really up front about the places he visits and addresses the hosed up things happening there in addition to the cool stuff. It's refreshing to see that kind of honesty in a travel/food show.

On a lighter note I'm powering through the Trailer Park Boys new season and bubbles riding around calling out beer tabs in the park made me laugh harder than I have in a really long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Both Netflix and Amazon have a number of Nollywood (Nigerian) films, so I've been making an effort to watch more of those to get a more global view of cinema. I've seen a couple pretty good ones I'd recommend off Netflix. If you want to see more detail, including an explanation of some cultural elements that might go over the head of someone unfamiliar with West Africa, check my CD thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851985

--Taxi Driver: Oko Ashewo (2015) is a dark comedy film in Yoruba and English, and was actually pretty dang good. The concept is that a guy from a small-town moves to the huge city of Lagos to inherit his estranged father's taxi, and immediately confronts the dark side of the city. The title isn't just a coincidence, it actually has some plot parallels with the American film Taxi Driver. It has a tiny bit of the flavor of Pulp Fiction (including some clear shout-outs) but in a weird way I kinda think the best parallel is Big Lebowski. I say this because of the kind of nihilistic "innocent character caught up in absurdity" and WTF moments. Production quality, cinematography, etc are higher quality than lower-budget Nollywood films, so this is probably my top recommendation so far.

--Head Gone is in English (but you still are gonna want subtitles to deal with the dialect) and falls firmly into what Netflix calls "screwball comedies". It's about a hospital bus that accidentally loses a bunch of mental patients, so starts hijacking random people off the street and substituting them in, while the patients wander around getting into misadventures. It's not highbrow, but it's feel-wise along the lines of Caddyshack or Stripes. It didn't get great reviews given that a lot of it is just letting famous comedians gently caress around, but I'd argue it's more worth seeing as cultural insight.The filming is decent though the sound-mixing is a little iffy (people 10ft from the camera sound the same as people right next to it). Compared to Taxi Driver this is a much goofier and pop-culture film, but also really worth a watch since you can pick up a lot of the flavor of Nigerian society from it (and my thread explains points you might miss).

If you haven't seen any Nollywood films, it behooves you to watch at least one because Nigeria is a massive film production center that just doesn't get its due attention in the US and Europe. If you prefer romantic comedies and comedies of manners, there are a number of those on Netflix and Amazon Prime, just search "Nigeria" or "Nigerian", but I mostly prefer the comedies and horror films (Nigeria is actually pretty big into horror). Give it a shot!

TapTheForwardAssist has a new favorite as of 00:47 on Apr 1, 2018