Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

KingEup posted:

So apparently AMD Virtual Super Resolution [VSR] only supports the resolutions listed here:

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/vsr

Is the NVIDIA equivalent (DSR) limited to the same resolutions?
nvidia's DSR uses a multiplier scale, so effectively no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

KingEup posted:

So apparently AMD Virtual Super Resolution [VSR] only supports the resolutions listed here:

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/vsr

Is the NVIDIA equivalent (DSR) limited to the same resolutions?

No, Nvidia multiplies your current default display resolution to make it's new dynamic super resolution. DSR can do 1.2x, 1.5x, 1.78x, 2x, 2.5x, 3x, and 4x multipliers of your current default display resolution. So the maximum resolution I can select with DSR on my 3440x1440 is 13760x5760.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 10, 2018

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

DSR uses the default resolution of your monitor, not the current resolution. I have a 4k/30hz TV and tried everything to get DSR to work from 1080p (since it ran at 120hz). It's great on my 4k/60hz TV since you can also use it to upscale, like a resolution between 1440p and 4k.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im going to be gone for a whole year and hope that when I come back the crypto currency market has died its last death because its about time I upgrade

$600 1070s are making less than $2 a day before electricity. At this point its a manufacturing shortage not miner demand. At least for nvidia.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

Fauxtool posted:

$600 1070s are making less than $2 a day before electricity. At this point its a manufacturing shortage not miner demand. At least for nvidia.

Yep. I had a 1070ti on backorder from amazon forever and today they finally cancelled it. :(

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Nvidia is just busy stockpiling new and cheap cards for their biggest and most favored customer base, The Loyal Gamers.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Andecdote here.

I placed 15 GTX 1080s on my eBay watchlist last night who's auctions ended/ending today and all but one landed in the $600 dollar range before shipping. A lot of the descriptions made mention of having the card for a few weeks/months.

I think with Bitcoin back down at 9k a lot of the late comers are trying to recoup costs since mining isn't as profitable as they hoped.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Fauxtool posted:

OhFunny posted:

Andecdote here.

I placed 15 GTX 1080s on my eBay watchlist last night who's auctions ended/ending today and all but one landed in the $600 dollar range before shipping. A lot of the descriptions made mention of having the card for a few weeks/months.

I think with Bitcoin back down at 9k a lot of the late comers are trying to recoup costs since mining isn't as profitable as they hoped.

The fact that the used market is still fetching that kind of money for used cards indicates demand is still high. At this point its probably mostly pent-up demand from gamers, but it's definitely several orders of magnitudes higher than you typically see from a GPU series that's over 18 months old.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lockback posted:

The fact that the used market is still fetching that kind of money for used cards indicates demand is still high. At this point its probably mostly pent-up demand from gamers, but it's definitely several orders of magnitudes higher than you typically see from a GPU series that's over 18 months old.

Given that “several orders of magnitude” is ridiculous, what do you usually see cards of that age going for on the used market?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Subjunctive posted:

Given that “several orders of magnitude” is ridiculous, what do you usually see cards of that age going for on the used market?

You could find used 1070s in the $350-$400 range and 1080s around $450 before the pricing fuckery happened. Hell my new 1080ti was $660 after MIR last summer.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

B-Mac posted:

You could find used 1070s in the $350-$400 range and 1080s around $450 before the pricing fuckery happened. Hell my new 1080ti was $660 after MIR last summer.

Right, but are GPUs on second hand market off their highs and trending downward now?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

OhFunny posted:

Right, but are GPUs on second hand market off their highs and trending downward now?

Apart from a day or two when the NVIDIA Store briefly restocked, and eBay was running a coupon on literally everything, not really.

Low-to-mid $600s is what 1080s have been going at for a while now.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Paul MaudDib posted:

Apart from a day or two when the NVIDIA Store briefly restocked, and eBay was running a coupon on literally everything, not really.

Low-to-mid $600s is what 1080s have been going at for a while now.

Well that's disappointing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Subjunctive posted:

Beyond what people posted above, before the 10xx series released you'd find 970s going for ~200 and 980tis going for 400-500 or so on the used (and sometime new!) market. The 10 series cost more, so that's not a 1:1 comparison, but that neighborhood is probably what you'd expect if nothing weird was going on. A 1080ti going for $500 right now would be pretty nice.

Keep in mind, the big advantage crypto gave to Nvidia is they didn't need to offer rebates or free games during the late-life of the cards like they usually do. I do think supply is limited due to memory and "avoid holding the bag" phenomenon, but demand is still really high.

I wouldn't buy a card right now if at all avoidable. Even if the 11xx/20xx series has the same problem I imagine 1070s will hit be the card that plunges in value and should be more than enough for most gamers. Until then, enjoy Indie games and overwatch, I guess.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

OhFunny posted:

I think they are starting to dip a bit. I’ve seen used 1080 go for $650-$700 in January, now it’s hovering around $600. 1070 down to $475-$500 when they were going for $550. Still too much for a used card IMO but hopefully they keep ticking down.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So the new generation will be the top end and crazy expensive so when can I build a new system around a 1080 GTX or Ti or whatever at a reasonable price?

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

cowofwar posted:

So the new generation will be the top end and crazy expensive so when can I build a new system around a 1080 GTX or Ti or whatever at a reasonable price?

All of the cards are reasonably priced because it is a free and open market with a diverse population of buyers and sellers unhindered by government influence or regulation.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

ItBurns posted:

All of the cards are reasonably priced because it is a free and open market with a diverse population of buyers and sellers unhindered by government influence or regulation.

freerepublic.txt

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I guess I should have sold my 1070 after CES and returned to a game-less existence, but honestly I'm just sort of hoping they don't drop so far as to make a step to the next generation out of my budget. I actually need to focus on upgrading the rest of my system instead, so if RAM prices fell at the same time I wouldn't mind too much.

I was lucky to card-flip-upgrade once, I guess if I was the Warren Buffett of GPUs I'd have sold again and would be waiting for the parts for my 2400G card-less build that I would have bought with the eBay coupon and could upgrade yet again later, but I'm not that smart.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
On my local kijiji ads, the 1080ti's not selling for $1500cad are now not selling for 1250.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Freesync 2 is coming to XBOX and XBOS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXEjx_eY0IM&t=5907s

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Reddit rumor mill:

quote:

We are based in Shenzhen, China and we sell Octominer mining rigs. We help some of our big clients source GPUs also. If anybody is interested there are RX580 8GB cards available right now. 500pcs in stock, if you need more then it's possible to get thousands of cards (lead time is around 7 days).

Nvidia card situation is much more difficult since there is a shortage of nvidia Cores on the market and factories don't have much stock. Nvidia is prepping and producing new generation cores by mass right now and there are not many current generation cores coming from their Taiwan factory.

Also when buying bulk cards right now you have to be careful, there are some "fake" memory in the market. Even Samsung memory that did not pass Samsungs own benchmarks and got sold off cheaper in the market. These memories usually have the tops re-printed. They work, but as soon as you overclock them a little bit they crash right away.

quote:

Nobody seems to have a specific answer regarding the new gen Nvidia cards release. Just rumors and speculation right now.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hi guys not sure if this is the right thread.

So I want to have 2 x 22" monitors and a monitor arm for work. It seems most newer monitors now offer HDMI/DP and dont even have DVI. Anyone got an el cheapo graphics card for 2 x DP recommendation? I guess I can use a clunky DVI/HDMI adapter

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Single link DVI to HDMI is passive, just use that with your existing card

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

caberham posted:

So I want to have 2 x 22" monitors and a monitor arm for work. It seems most newer monitors now offer HDMI/DP and dont even have DVI. Anyone got an el cheapo graphics card for 2 x DP recommendation? I guess I can use a clunky DVI/HDMI adapter

You can buy a DVI->HDMI cable or two, I use one for one of my monitors that lacks an HDMI connection, they are fairly cheap.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

caberham posted:

DVI and HDMI are electrically compatible, adapters are perfectly fine to use and probably cost a couple bucks each on monoprice

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

That seems like a whole lot of poo poo over nothing. Absolute none of that will preclude the three big cross-platform companies from being who they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-g4GR-cQOY

I'm not optimistic of AMD remaining competitive even in the low end GPU market.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

caberham posted:

You should be able to just daisy-chain the two monitors with DP 1.2 and only take up one graphics card port, if both monitors support the version of DP, and you have one DP 1.2 slot.

Otherwise, yeah, just use a cable/adapter with whatever as said.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

FaustianQ posted:

According to HardOCP

Nope, not even once.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Measly Twerp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-g4GR-cQOY

I'm not optimistic of AMD remaining competitive even in the low end GPU market.

So I saw this video was posted and watched like a minute of it before I lost interest. How am I supposed to feel about it? Should I default to angry?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

VulgarandStupid posted:

So I saw this video was posted and watched like a minute of it before I lost interest. How am I supposed to feel about it? Should I default to angry?

I dont know what its about yet but here's a simple flowchart

1) Is it about video cards? Yes go to 2, No - forget about it
2) Imagine your first born child being forced to kill your second born then themselves by the GPU company. Channel and express that rage. Coherence unnecessary

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's about the GPP thing, just check the hardocp thing posted a couple pages back, it's the same thing in readable form

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

Why did you reply?

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
So I been wanting to build a new computer for a couple months now, I'm I screwed now with the GPUs price hike?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Palladium posted:

Nope, not even once.

Except Kyle Bennett was (uggghhh) right about Raja, RTG and the Intel-Radeon deal that everyone swore up and down was wrong and/or not real. On that alone, whether I think the guy is a shitstain or not, it lends credibility towards his argument. Nvidia is trying to pressure AIBs into dropping AMD GPUs in the consumer space, specifically Gigabyte, MSI, and ASUS. It's not like Nvidia hasn't left AIBs out hard in the cold before, Hi XFX, BFG, and ECS.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Tormented posted:

So I been wanting to build a new computer for a couple months now, I'm I screwed now with the GPUs price hike?

Totally

Unless you want a Gigabyte 1070 mini (in an enclosure) which are currently in stock on amazon for $600 flat. You'll have to hock the enclosure for some amount of money and I can only imagine that market is saturated but its the best deal going today.

FaustianQ posted:

Except Kyle Bennett was (uggghhh) right about Raja, RTG and the Intel-Radeon deal that everyone swore up and down was wrong and/or not real. On that alone, whether I think the guy is a shitstain or not, it lends credibility towards his argument. Nvidia is trying to pressure AIBs into dropping AMD GPUs in the consumer space, specifically Gigabyte, MSI, and ASUS. It's not like Nvidia hasn't left AIBs out hard in the cold before, Hi XFX, BFG, and ECS.

yup

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 12, 2018

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

FaustianQ posted:

Didn’t AMD kind of do this to themselves with Vega anyway?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
They certainly haven't endeared themselves to the AIB companies by releasing a product that required launch rebates to make them palatable to consumers, and then were basically impossible to sell at MSRP while making a profit.

It turned out not to actually hurt anyone in the food chain, though, since shortly thereafter the whole buttcoin craze hit and people started buying Vega regardless of the silly prices--so at least the AIBs didn't get stuck with a bunch of inventory they'd be forced to sell at a loss, which is absolutely what would have happened had Vega been selling on its gaming performance vs its crypto performance.

Which basically means that as the crypto-crazy looks to be abating, the AIBs are probably not terribly enthused to take another ride with AMD and Vega.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
1080 for $669

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127944&cm_re=1080-_-14-127-944-_-Product

or a better cooloer for $699
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125869&cm_re=gtx_1080-_-14-125-869-_-Product

lowest price ive seen forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

1gnoirents posted:

Unless you want a Gigabyte 1070 mini (in an enclosure) which are currently in stock on amazon for $600 flat. You'll have to hock the enclosure for some amount of money and I can only imagine that market is saturated but its the best deal going today.

Looks like they're still getting about $150 on eBay, which is somewhat surprising given how many people are probably shucking the GPUs out of them.

I'd think about picking up an empty enclosure if I could get one for sub-$100, but $150 is still too steep. Looks like they're using pretty high starting prices to try and combat this though.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 12, 2018