Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Byolante posted:

I am all for fash bashing when its relatively even numbers and nobody is hiding their identity. I can just see this sort of asymmetric vigilante justice resulting in a return to the bad old days and the old firms tooling back up to fix those commies. Maybe you are too young or never went to a dangerous away day around 2000 but I did and I would prefer that stay a thing of the past.

It's true, there's a time and a place to bash Neo-Nazis: whenever and whereever the opportunity presents itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
lol if you think the old firms ever tooled down from going after commies

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
If you bash too hard they might die! :ohdear:

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Alright I want a fair fight! No facial coverings, no making fun of armbands or genetics, and no making me confront my preference of Order to Justice!

— You, probably

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

If you wanna punch a nazi it has to be in a fair one on one using mma rules so no one gets hurt too bad

- a retarded shithead

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011

Byolante posted:

I am all for fash bashing when its relatively even numbers and nobody is hiding their identity

you should reflect on this line specifically

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Huragok posted:

you should reflect on this line specifically

I'm reflecting on the concept that people seem to think extra judicial vigilante justice is a good thing that should be normalised in society

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Byolante posted:

I'm reflecting on the concept that people seem to think extra judicial vigilante justice is a good thing that should be normalised in society

Vigilantism was one of the methods that kept the UK from going the way of Germany and Italy pre-WW2 but yes I'm sure this new era of white supremacist ethnostaters will respond to requests for :decorum: and engage in spirited and well-meaning debate instead of achieving critical mass and starting to assault and murder minorities with impunity

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Kitfox88 posted:

Vigilantism was one of the methods that kept the UK from going the way of Germany and Italy pre-WW2 but yes I'm sure this new era of white supremacist ethnostaters will respond to requests for :decorum: and engage in spirited and well-meaning debate instead of achieving critical mass and starting to assault and murder minorities with impunity

Nobody was wearing a mask in Cable street because smashing Mosley was something you could be proud of.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Byolante posted:

Nobody was wearing a mask in Cable street because smashing Mosley was something you could be proud of.

They also didn't have smartphones fascists could use to dob you in with. Stop being so loving obtuse.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Byolante posted:

Lots of people were wearing masks at Cable Street and it was one of the things the press wrung their hands about, comparing them to the pre-WWI anarchist movements.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
On a different, also extremely stupid note, there are some real spicy takes in the grauniad today

I made it as far as

quote:

What next? Labour can hope to increase turnout further. But this strategy, while it worked better than expected in 2017, is going to be subject to diminishing returns. How many voters who decided to stay at home in 2017 because they were unconvinced by Corbyn are going to come out and vote next time? Ukip’s vote has already been carved up. There are no great potential gains there. It is possible the SNP might implode but the Scottish Conservatives look as likely to benefit from that as Scottish Labour.

All of which suggests that if Labour is going to win in the future it is going to have to do again what it managed in 1964, October 1974 and 1997: that is to persuade a lot of people who voted Conservative to vote for it.

That poo poo is fuckin wild, where do they keep finding these people

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Byolante posted:

loving incredible

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Definitely show your face when defending your community in honourable single combat against the fash so they can honourably put your face on redwatch, chuck bricks through your windows and threaten your family. With decorum.

gently caress off

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Crane Fist posted:

On a different, also extremely stupid note, there are some real spicy takes in the grauniad today

I made it as far as

The young don't vote,
Non-voters don't vote,
And the old are Tory as gently caress.

If you think that's an immutable law of British voters then you don't have any way to win but to become like the Tories. It's a very clear demonstration of how political commentators reinforce rather than question the rightward drift since Thatcher.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Crane Fist posted:

I made it as far as

lol labour had huge turnout after blair had it crash after people wanted anything that wasn't the tories after they'd been in power forever

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Crane Fist posted:

I made it as far as

Could argue that Labour would actually benefit from a resurgence of the Liberal vote in Tory Liberal marginals that Labour never ever get a look in, but it's asking an awful lot of Labour supporters to hold their nose and even consider the LibDems as the lesser evil after 2010.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

forkboy84 posted:

Could argue that Labour would actually benefit from a resurgence of the Liberal vote in Tory Liberal marginals that Labour never ever get a look in, but it's asking an awful lot of Labour supporters to hold their nose and even consider the LibDems as the lesser evil after 2010.

if you want labour vote labour imo

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

iirc a lot of those marginals are becoming tory/labour because the libdems are a loving worthless entity

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Forums Terrorist posted:

iirc a lot of those marginals are becoming tory/labour because the libdems are a loving worthless entity

The party for remainers is a p hard sell when the EU is turning into the Prussian Empire 2: Electric Boogaloo as well

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Byolante posted:

lol literally "you people should sit quietly and let the fash terrorize people unopposed, because fighting back is against the law"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I am very much in favor of combat-as-war rather than combat-as-sport when it comes to bashing the fash.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/ruskin147/status/973154473110573056
https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/973156207161692161

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Forums Terrorist posted:

correct

the downside is that without the Lib Dems and now that the SNP are on the slide it's going to be real difficult to get an outright big majority like Blair did because of how the electoral maths works. It's likely that the Tories & Labour will be passing small majorities back and forth for the forseeable

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Byolante posted:

The existence of openly fascist groups marching in the streets indicate that point has already passed, and that now the choice is whether or not to allow regressive bigotry a monopoly on said violence.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Byolante posted:

The party for remainers is a p hard sell when the EU is turning into the Prussian Empire 2: Electric Boogaloo as well

Jesus, if we're not quick they might reunify Germany!!!!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Nah, now that they're not being held back by pants-making GBS threads Blairites Jezza & co can and will go out and mobilize young people and other non-voters and pick off a hell of a lot of Tory marginals.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

The leadership were seriously hamstrung by labour HQ who were determined to spend money on keeping blairites in their seats, thinking that labour were 100% hosed and all that mattered was mitigating the damage.

In a seriously offensive labour campaign, the tories are hosed.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
all labour campaigns are seriously offensive, because as a rich white person i

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Firos posted:

The leadership were seriously hamstrung by labour HQ who were determined to spend money on keeping blairites in their seats, thinking that labour were 100% hosed and all that mattered was mitigating the damage.

In a seriously offensive labour campaign, the tories are hosed.

My loins swell at the thought of momentum going ham in an election the way the currently are just with their messaging. Leave no sparrow unnationalised.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
What I'd like is 2 things that are very unlikely. One would be that Labour gets a bigger majority than Tony Blairs first one in 1997. That would just make me ludicrously happy.

The second is basically impossible, but I'd like to see it attempted nevertheless, is winning a larger majority on the second election than on the first.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Josef bugman posted:

What I'd like is 2 things that are very unlikely. One would be that Labour gets a bigger majority than Tony Blairs first one in 1997. That would just make me ludicrously happy.

The second is basically impossible, but I'd like to see it attempted nevertheless, is winning a larger majority on the second election than on the first.

Has any party ever won a bigger majority on a second election? It's probably happened at least once.

Maybe back in the days of rotten boroughs?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

UrbicaMortis posted:

Has any party ever won a bigger majority on a second election? It's probably happened at least once.

Maybe back in the days of rotten boroughs?

I suppose technically the tories did in 2015.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Thatcher in 1983 vs 1979 is like, a really really obvious one.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

UrbicaMortis posted:

Has any party ever won a bigger majority on a second election?
The Tories in 1955, who then extra increased it in 59

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
lotta fanboys way too familiar with the tory playbook itt

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
tfw knowing postwar electoral history somehow becomes the preserve of tories

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

jBrereton posted:

tfw knowing postwar electoral history somehow becomes the preserve of tories

this means postwar!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

My prediction is a labour majority next election then after 5 years of papers crowing about labours popularity dropping an increased majority in the next one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

nopantsjack posted:

My prediction is a labour majority next election then after 5 years of papers crowing about labours popularity dropping an increased majority in the next one

"Im sure once the trains don't suck and people are getting good healthcare it will make people hate Labour" - Guardian Op Ed