Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Simplex posted:

Unless Rampage is a surprise mega hit, Infinity War will do fine. The movies to keep an eye on are Solo and Deadpool 2. One of those is doomed and I'm guessing it's Deadpool.

While the first Deadpool was surprising good, I am a bit worried they might go into the bad direction the character can easily get into in the comics. Plus the fact they didn't want to recast the rapist didn't help either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s not Solo either.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have a feeling taking TJ MIller out of Deadpool would’ve been a nightmare to do. He’s probably in it a lot more because he was a fan favorite.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's crazy to me, I literally didn't even remember he was in the first one.

I don't particularly care if they cut him or not though, they already shot the film, he already got paid. Just make the film you were going to make

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess I’ll say for comic fans. Most fans I’ve talked too and saw opinions about enjoyed him. Weasel’s a fun character. I liked Miller, but I’d be okay if they changed it for the next film, but I’m not gonna get angry for people not wanting to spend an unnecessary amount of money to pretend an actor doesn’t exist.

It’s fair not to support it though.!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Where do they even go after this? Infinity Gauntlet is like Marvels biggest story arc and a bunch of their actors are getting really tired of/too old to play their parts anymore. I've heard rumors that they were planning a big continuity reset after IW but what exactly could they come up with now that could possibly hold a candle to the last 10 years of buildup and anticipation?

A thought I had is that if Thanos wins at the end of Avengers then it would lead to a Dark Reign type deal for like a year or something before Avengers 4: Infinity War Boogaloo.

Infinity Gauntlet isn't the biggest story arc anymore. If Disney buys Fox then it's either gonna be Avengers vs X-Men but if it were me, I'mma demand Hickman's FF -> Avengers -> Secret War arc. That's the biggest arc Marvel's had and it was completely awesome.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Infinity War will make all the money. The hype train should go into overdrive starting this week. No coincidence Black Panther cast members were in two of the stills released last week, were heavily featured in money shots in the first trailer even before Black Panther was released, and there is a huge sequence set in Wakanda, all of which was planned before the movie made a billion dollars.

Deadpool 2 apparently had a bad test screening. How much the studios are worried about that depends on how badly the article writers want clickbait headlines, so take it with a salt mine of salt

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Deadpool 2 drops in two months and doesn't even have an official title yet. It's still listed as "The Untitled Deadpool Sequel" on IMDB.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Where do they even go after this? Infinity Gauntlet is like Marvels biggest story arc and a bunch of their actors are getting really tired of/too old to play their parts anymore. I've heard rumors that they were planning a big continuity reset after IW but what exactly could they come up with now that could possibly hold a candle to the last 10 years of buildup and anticipation?

They can keep most of the actors they want if they pay them more. Hemsworth and Evans for sure have said their contracts are up but they'd return if asked (and paid). But you can already see them building up new characters to put at the forefront with Strange, Spider-Man, T'Challa, and Captain Marvel.

And when they get the characters back from Fox, you've got at least three major villains that you can build around with Galactus, Kang, and of course, Dr. Doom.

Plus there's always Secret Wars if they want to do another big major storyline.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

They can keep most of the actors they want if they pay them more. Hemsworth and Evans for sure have said their contracts are up but they'd return if asked (and paid). But you can already see them building up new characters to put at the forefront with Strange, Spider-Man, T'Challa, and Captain Marvel.

And when they get the characters back from Fox, you've got at least three major villains that you can build around with Galactus, Kang, and of course, Dr. Doom.

Plus there's always Secret Wars if they want to do another big major storyline.

I wonder if Disney would be willing to go through with Galactus as a huge, planet eating man instead of chickening out like Fox.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

They've already set up a precedent with the Celestial showing up in GOTG.

Honestly, no matter how far this Marvel Cinematic Universe drags out, and how many cookie cutter flicks we get in the interim, I'll have one foot on-board until we get a proper Doctor Doom appearance.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fart City posted:

Deadpool 2 drops in two months and doesn't even have an official title yet. It's still listed as "The Untitled Deadpool Sequel" on IMDB.

I think it's called Cable Guy

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Macaluso posted:

Ya know who we need to showcase for this big battle scene? A character from a movie all about anti-violence and anti-war

A deer-hunter-ish roulette scene but with plugging into random games (with one empty one) would be a neat spin on the Matrix.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

I wonder if Disney would be willing to go through with Galactus as a huge, planet eating man instead of chickening out like Fox.

James Gunn wanted to use Galactus. So yeah, he'd be the Big G we all know and love.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

James Gunn wanted to use Galactus. So yeah, he'd be the Big G we all know and love.

That sounds great, yeah.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fart City posted:

That is what it’s called.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

That is what it’s called.

Seriously? Huh.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Re: the Black Panther vs Wrinkle In Time discussion we had a week ago:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I just did a quick google and various sites are projecting that A Wrinkle In Time will have an opening weekend of about $52 million, and Black Panther will be on its 4th weekend and no film has ever made $52 million on its 4th weekend (Avatar came close but everything else has been way under) so it looks like it'll finally be knocked off the #1 spot. Dunno if it'll be able to claw its way back to the top before Tomb Raider and Pacific Rim 2 open but I guess we'll see.

But that's not to say that the shine is wearing off BP. It just entered it's 3rd week which is usually when cinemas start allotting less screenings to films (or especially strong films might not lose any screens) but in BP's case they're actually adding more screens. Also Red Sparrow and Death Wish both premiered today but BP not only kept the #1 spot, it made as much money as the next 5 top films combined.

Weekend estimates are in and BP easily kept the #1 spot, pulling in $41 million while A Wrinkle In Time only managed $33m which is way way less than the $52m opening that had been predicted.

$41m for a 4th weekend is crazy impressive. It's the 3rd biggest 4th weekend for any movie ever, falling just shy of Star Wars: The Force Awakens which brought in $42m on its 4th weekend (and that film ended up making two billion).

Also Marvel just confirmed a sequel for Black Panther. The only surprising part about that is that it took them so long to announce it. :v:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

is Wrinkle actually bad or just unpopular with critics

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Uncle Wemus posted:

I just got back from it and was underwhelmed (30s, goon) but the kids in the front row clapped at the end for some reason. Maybe it was ironic.

It was like Contact and Narnia had an autistic child together. And I read the book years ago just don't remember it and am not really nostalgic about it.

Give me Prydain, Hollywood.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

If the MCU has proven anything, it's that unashamedly embracing comic book weirdness instead of rendering it down to generic sci-fi mush gets you rewarded with billions of dollars.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fart City posted:

Seriously? Huh.

It’s a joke at all the superhero movies coming out “Untitled Avengers Film” “Untitled Ant-Man Sequel” ect

Although I hope they don’t get cold feet and change it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Uncle Wemus posted:

it's a weird movie. Storm Reid as Meg delivered a subdued but good performance. the visuals are very out there, but at times (especially the first few planets and when they just reached the IT's planet) it feels like those demo reels being shown on the televisions in electronics store showrooms. the moral of "loving yourself" comes up a little too hammy, and I kinda wish they hammered the "your parents are also people and don't really solve all your problems" a lot harder.

The kid playing Charles Wallace is very good as a villain delivering the most horrible lines at the others but is waaaaay too precocious in the beginning

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Simplex posted:

Unless Rampage is a surprise mega hit, Infinity War will do fine.

Dwayne Johnson's coming off Jumanji 2, the movie which went up against Star Wars and didn't exactly win but can hardly be described as having lost either, so who knows what will happen. Kids will probably flock to see the Rock chasing giant animals.

Solo is still the one I'm most interested in seeing how it performs because I'm curious whether the Star Wars brand by itself can overcome reams of poor publicity.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Apparently most critics enjoyed RPO at its SXSW premiere. Though most of them use wording like "a geeky love letter" or whatnot, so take that as you will.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

feedmyleg posted:

Apparently most critics enjoyed RPO at its SXSW premiere. Though most of them use wording like "a geeky love letter" or whatnot, so take that as you will.

I think it’s funny that people are saying things like “why would you underestimate Spielberg?” as if the man is incapable of making, say, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

quote:

Early on, there’s a shoot-the-works car chase in which Wade — or, rather, his avatar, Parzival, who resembles a frosted-blond, plane-cheeked Keanu Reeves in a jean vest — climbs into the wing-doored DeLorean DMC-12 from “Back to the Future” and races through a cityscape at petal-to-the-metal speed to the tune of Joan Jett’s “I Hate Myself for Loving You,” even as he’s pursued by King Kong and the T. Rex from “Jurassic Park.” (Blink and you’ll miss the Batmobile.)

Word salad the motion picture.

EDIT:

quote:

(at one point, even the monster fetus from “Alien” makes a kind of palm-buzzer cameo)

Why'd you have to bring him into this

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 12, 2018

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

quote:

While it lacks edginess, subtleties or the genuine dread to explore life in a complete technocracy, it does find the Iron Giant battling Mechagodzilla while a rock-heavy soundtrack featuring everything from Blondie to the Bee Gees underscores the mayhem.

I’m out

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CelticPredator posted:

quote:

Early on, there’s a shoot-the-works car chase in which Wade — or, rather, his avatar, Parzival, who resembles a frosted-blond, plane-cheeked Keanu Reeves in a jean vest — climbs into the wing-doored DeLorean DMC-12 from “Back to the Future” and races through a cityscape at petal-to-the-metal speed to the tune of Joan Jett’s “I Hate Myself for Loving You,” even as he’s pursued by King Kong and the T. Rex from “Jurassic Park.” (Blink and you’ll miss the Batmobile.)
Word salad the motion picture.

:wtc:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

"while it lacks anything good, it does have a lot of really bad poo poo"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Glad I'm not the only one reading that into these reviews. It sounds awful even as they rave.

...are film critics having the same baffling reaction as literary critics did?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Anyone watched Hurricane Heist yet?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I watched Lion King yesterday for the first time in a couple of decades and hated it.

Opens with a mandatory worship service of the state run religion, which Scar doesn't attend, so the King personally goes to his house to intimidate him. After being threatened back, he then let's his infant son hang out with him all the time.

Said son immediately dreams of abusing his power as King, so Mufasa forces his personal servant to humiliate himself before him and serve as pouncing tool, then gives him a lecture about trickle down economics.

His son(whose marriage has already been arranged) goes to play with elephant corpses, so Mufasa invades a neighboring country and assaults their dignitaries, then takes his son home and explains manifest destiny.

Scar successfully kills his family so he can implement his dangerous plan of letting foreigners in to take all the Lions jobs and use their resources. One of the main foreigners has a stereotypical Mexican accent, one other doesn't speak any English at all, and one is Whoopi Goldberg. They subsequently are made the scapegoat for a drought.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have little doubt that the new "live action" version will ignore all of that. Which is a shame because it's ripe for Simba returning and realizing that his father was not the hero he imagined as a child and that a democracy must be established.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It also had more pop culture references than I remember. Like Pumba referencing "In the Heat of the Night". Who wrote that? Who is the audience for that joke?

Mr Bean is great in it though

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There was a long running In the Heat of the Night show going on around that time.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Those RPO reviews are maybe the best reviews I’ve read in a long time, because they’re actively informing me of how much I’ll hate watching it just by recapping scenes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It also had more pop culture references than I remember. Like Pumba referencing "In the Heat of the Night". Who wrote that? Who is the audience for that joke?

Mr Bean is great in it though
If it gets kids to watch it it's cool in my book.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

quote:

i want to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

Dwayne Johnson's coming off Jumanji 2, the movie which went up against Star Wars and didn't exactly win but can hardly be described as having lost either, so who knows what will happen. Kids will probably flock to see the Rock chasing giant animals.

Solo is still the one I'm most interested in seeing how it performs because I'm curious whether the Star Wars brand by itself can overcome reams of poor publicity.

Jumanji 2 was #10 this week. I don't think The Last Jedi even stayed in the top ten that long