Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I happen to know the hardpoints for the SHD-2H in the final game:

1 Missile hardpoint in the Head
1 Energy + 1 Support weapon hardpoints in the Right Arm
2 Missile hardpoints in the Right Torso
3 Ballistic hardpoints in the Left Torso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Tempest_56 posted:

- Do not hire several hundred astechs. Under the Marketplace menu, and the Astech Pool submenu, click Bring All Tech Teams To Full Strength. This will hire a number of invisible assistant technicians to help your main ones. This is more a sanity/performance check - it prevents a massive number of characters from clogging up the tracking when they serve no purpose other than a check that goes 'Yup, you have the appropriate number'.

Or you hire some infantry ground pounders like I did in my game and then roll the random event "dependents" and wind up with a dozen or so random astechs suddenly in the company. Apparently my marines went on liberty and wound up getting married to some random locals. One thousand years in the future and some things never change, but at least they wern't space strippers

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Adventure comes from insufficient planning.

DatonKallandor posted:

It's one of the reasons the firestarter is such a good punchmech - tons and tons of support hardpoints.

Reason I think Jimmums needs a firestarter, if he is going to DFA, he should do maximum damage.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Leith Maclaine posted:

Reason I think Jimmums needs a firestarter, if he is going to DFA, he should do maximum damage.

Stop breaking my mechs' legs! :argh:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Phrosphor posted:

I wanna pick up a -2D2 and do that AC/10/4SRM4 build because it's brutal in MWO and it was brutal in the one vid where you tried it

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I still can't believe the preorder bonus for Battletech is just a shithawk skin. I mean, of all the mechs they could have pimped out they had to pick one of the worst.

They should have offered an "Unseen reskin" pack for preorders. Also, a certificate that says "Congratulations for preordering! You will now be sued by Harmony Gold."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Narsham posted:

They should have offered an "Unseen reskin" pack for preorders. Also, a certificate that says "Congratulations for preordering! You will now be sued by Harmony Gold."

Actually thanks to related legal events in Japan, the latest HG lawsuit is looking extremely promising and may put the unseen matter to bed for good. However its not over until its over, but man I hope.

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006
That reminds me that there's a better alternative to the weird angry youtube jacketman from pages ago; here's an odd calm youtube hatman who works in copyright law and parses through the legalese in the actual case documents for the layman's convenience:

On HG's suit against PGI/HBS, where he looks over the images and finds that PGI's remakes are similar, but may not be similar enough to run afoul of the law if the case proceeds, and HBS's are clearly not. Most assume the latter was an attempt to snag Jordan Weissman via a prior legal agreement from the FASA days.
On HG's defense against the Japanese right holders, where HG wins but also reveals in an American court that they don't own the mecha designs they are suing over, and also suggests T-ko might not extend their agreement with HG in a few years. Most of the legal happenings since are behind a paywall, but scuttlebutt thus far has mostly involved HG's lawyers unsuccessfully trying to get their act together and scrape together a valid case.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Phrosphor posted:

Missile hardpoint in the head? I thought you couldn't fit anything but a small laser, flamer, or machine gun in the head.

Now I wanna cram an AC/20 in a mech's head.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

DeepThrobble posted:

That reminds me that there's a better alternative to the weird angry youtube jacketman from pages ago; here's an odd calm youtube hatman who works in copyright law and parses through the legalese in the actual case documents for the layman's convenience:

On HG's suit against PGI/HBS, where he looks over the images and finds that PGI's remakes are similar, but may not be similar enough to run afoul of the law if the case proceeds, and HBS's are clearly not. Most assume the latter was an attempt to snag Jordan Weissman via a prior legal agreement from the FASA days.
On HG's defense against the Japanese right holders, where HG wins but also reveals in an American court that they don't own the mecha designs they are suing over, and also suggests T-ko might not extend their agreement with HG in a few years. Most of the legal happenings since are behind a paywall, but scuttlebutt thus far has mostly involved HG's lawyers unsuccessfully trying to get their act together and scrape together a valid case.

Here is a copy of the latest legalese filled document. Its PGI moving again for another summary judgement (read: asking for it to be thrown out) on the grounds that HG's 2nd amended Complaint still hasn't proven they own legit rights to the characters they're suing over.

I think anyways. TBH I'm mostly going off this thread elsewhere

Still:

quote:

In response to Piranha’s motion, Harmony Gold requested leave to amend its Complaint a second time, purportedly to explain that Harmony Gold has other exclusive copyrights in the Big West Characters. The Second Amended Complaint deletes the word “derivative,” and substitutes words like “copy,” “commercialize,” “distribute,” “display” and “merchandize” to describe Harmony Gold’s alleged rights. But no amount of artful pleading can salvage Harmony Gold’s copyright claim. Harmony Gold has never owned any exclusive copyright in the individual characters, because Tatsunoko’s international distribution rights were always limited to the completed Macross Motion Picture. Harmony Gold received an assignment of rights only in the Macross Motion Picture as a whole, not in the individual characters.
:boom:

Cythereal posted:

Missile hardpoint in the head? I thought you couldn't fit anything but a small laser, flamer, or machine gun in the head.

Now I wanna cram an AC/20 in a mech's head.

You can fit a few things in a mech's head including, but not limited to: an SRM-2 (Shadhowhawk), LRM-5 (Grasshopper), Medium Laser (Vindicator)

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 12, 2018

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You can fit a few things in a mech's head including, but not limited to: an SRM-2 (Shadhowhawk), LRM-5 (Grasshopper), Medium Laser (Vindicator)

And the fluff states that most pilots hate the head mounted weapons. I think there is one piece of fluff that says the head mounted weapon causes the ejection seat to catch and kill the pilot. Another for the grasshopper (I think) is that once a pilot runs the anno bin empty for it they don't bother to get it reloaded because it makes the cockpit really hot and uncomfortable when the weapon fires.

I am thinking two srm6s, a medium laser and a small laser is a pretty good shadowhawk build.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Phrosphor posted:

And the fluff states that most pilots hate the head mounted weapons. I think there is one piece of fluff that says the head mounted weapon causes the ejection seat to catch and kill the pilot. Another for the grasshopper (I think) is that once a pilot runs the anno bin empty for it they don't bother to get it reloaded because it makes the cockpit really hot and uncomfortable when the weapon fires.

I am thinking two srm6s, a medium laser and a small laser is a pretty good shadowhawk build.

I think most any of them with a laser in the head states that it makes the cockpit way, way too hot for the pilot and they avoid firing it unless they have to.

I always thought switching out the AC/5 for a large laser and some heat sinks was a good idea, but if it doesn't work in the game the extra SRM's would be good.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Yeah Jimmums is doing surprisingly well in the shithawk, but for just about every given turn he's not getting the most out of his loadout. There's always one, sometimes two weapons that just aren't shooting. The LRM-5 and SRM-2 are both awful weapons on their own, and together they're mutually exclusive. The md.las and AC/5 are both solid weapons, so the design ought to commit to one type of missile and build that out into either a short range brawling fit or a long range harassing fit. Half our lance is long range and Jimmums loves the punch, so pack a couple of SRM-4s on that bad boy and he'll get even better.

This is the reason I/we picked up the LRM5 a salvage cycle ago. Its not a great swap in but I think as far as field refits it should be a quick swap.

Edit: I feel its important to point out that our goal isn't to make the best mech, but the one that we -can- make with the resources(time and money) available. Affordability and whether we have a spare mech in the stable to send out while one's in the shop are fairly big factors that ought to be considered. before opinions arise, consider that jim almost never fires the srm.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 12, 2018

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Here's the money shot that took out the Jägermech. I loved that one LRM taking a little detour over the mountain. :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/Vif4L34.mp4

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Go home, LRM. You're drunk.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I have to wonder though, does Battletech HBS allow for the altering of armor and speed, as well as weapons?

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
My understanding is that you won't be able to swap engine sizes on the mechs, which is how you would change the speed. Not sure about armor but my guess is those values are adjustable in the Mechlab.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

Dev's have said armor can be changed. Speed can not (although jump jets can be added or removed.)

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Is there a Goon/Battletech discord?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Saros posted:

Is there a Goon/Battletech discord?

It's in the OP.

Edit, it's in the OP of the HBS Battletech thread

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
This thread made me pre order it, thanks :argh:

I need battletech in my life but can't force myself to piranha again

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Rygar201 posted:

It's in the OP.

Edit, it's in the OP of the HBS Battletech thread

Warning, we're all just grumpy frogs mocking the idiots on the official forums.

[Edit]That was supposed to be grogs but you win this one, autocorrect

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Salvage: From what I can tell, having backup mechs is the only way through this so take the Firestarter wreck and salvage the Hunchback to repair the Shadowhawk. We should probably take the Medium Lasers as they are pretty legit

MVP: Figment - if only because she's been a champ since we got her and regulated on that Jagermech

The rest I'm not 100% on but it seems like we need to pump up someones Tactics

Fake edit: I've also pre-ordered this game due to this LP :rock:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Slaan posted:

This thread made me pre order it, thanks :argh:

I need battletech in my life but can't force myself to piranha again

I don't think you'll regret it. HBS are actually competent.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

I've actually been a back since before the kickstarter as I was saying take my money at GenCon. Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know the interstellar map in mekhq changes depending on your start date but, just out of curiosity, does it also change in "real-time" over the course of a campaign?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Looking forward to us being tens of millions in debt as well as having mechs on loan from ComStar after this contract is over.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

Looking forward to us being tens of millions in debt as well as having mechs on loan from ComStar after this contract is over.

Our next job will be for Comstar, we'll be black ops hunting pirates on New Avalon with booby traps in each and every mech.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nvm I found the "Advance multiple days" option.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Xarbala posted:

I know the interstellar map in mekhq changes depending on your start date but, just out of curiosity, does it also change in "real-time" over the course of a campaign?

Yes. It's pretty fun in a 3050 campaign to just watch the actual pace of Clan conquest. And Task Force Bulldog is *hilarious*.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I mean, we can go all in with our debt to ComStar, it's not like we'll be able to repay it anytime soon and they don't seem to care...something fishy is going on and I guess the main way to get gutted is if we can't field a full lance when we are offered a new mission.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

That Italian Guy posted:

I mean, we can go all in with our debt to ComStar, it's not like we'll be able to repay it anytime soon and they don't seem to care...something fishy is going on and I guess the main way to get gutted is if we can't field a full lance when we are offered a new mission.

It bears repeating: Salvage everything.. If we need it, we have it. If we don’t, it pays for itself.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Stop indebting us even worse!

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
By the end of this LP the merc company's kids are going to be in the vanguard of the Word of Blake.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

By the end of this LP the merc company's kids are going to be in the vanguard of the Word of Blake.

No they won't, they wouldn't have to pay their own maintenance bills in that case :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Section Z posted:

No they won't, they wouldn't have to pay their own maintenance bills in that case :v:

We'll be the ones staging false flag attacks to draw defenders away from the WoB's intended targets.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I see nothing wrong with this, love me some wobbie lances.

Leith Maclaine
Mar 2, 2018

AJ_Impy posted:

It bears repeating: Salvage everything.. If we need it, we have it. If we don’t, it pays for itself.

Once Comstar knows they have us by the short and curlies, the missions are going to be worse. We need to at least keep the pretense that we can work our way out.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Salvage what is needed only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

Salvage what is needed only

• Locked thread