Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Taear posted:

Kevin Eldon was in Eastenders playing a hitman last night.
I can't quite believe it, I wonder if he auditioned or if someone wanted him in it?

Who? Do you mean The Actor Kevin Eldon?

I think I'm going to be disappointed if I check this out, because right now that's hilarious. I think I'm picturing Simon Quinlank.

Edit: Haha, I just googled "kevin eldon eastenders" and he now gets to be described as "Game of Thrones Actor Kevin Eldon".

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Weak Lemon Drink Kevin Eldon.

This Country resonates with me somewhat, coming from the West Country I knew a lot of people who spoke and acted like them. All of them. Especially Mandy.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

The actor Kevin Eldon?

Edit: gently caress, beaten, didn’t see the next page

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Despite being Cornish and living more in a run down market town This Country also resonates quite well.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Rondette posted:

Over where? The UK? Not massive as far as I can tell, a bit like the Detectorists, people who see it love it. But not many have seen it.

I'm an American and I love the show! I do a podcast about Peep Show and my cohost turned me on to This Country and People Just Do Nothing. I was just curious because I obviously have nobody in real life to discuss it with.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm from a few miles away from where This Country was filmed and it's all too real.

Nowadays I live where they filmed Back and it's much nicer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SalTheBard posted:

I'm an American and I love the show! I do a podcast about Peep Show and my cohost turned me on to This Country and People Just Do Nothing. I was just curious because I obviously have nobody in real life to discuss it with.

Watch ‘Young Offenders’ too. I’m in the US these days and had my (American) wife watch the first few minutes to see if she could understand the accent ok out of curiosity, and she could pick up most of it. It’s pretty dense. It’s another show most of us will be able to relate to in some respect. There was also a film that was pretty good, but I’m enjoying the show a bit more personally.

It feels like Britain is back on the train of putting out good shows again? And they’re not taking forever between seasons? Blimey.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Man like Mobeen was really good. Hope it gets a second series.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

sebzilla posted:

I'm from a few miles away from where This Country was filmed and it's all too real.

Nowadays I live where they filmed Back and it's much nicer.

Where did they film Back? I really enjoyed that show too.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

SalTheBard posted:

Where did they film Back? I really enjoyed that show too.

Stroud (and parts nearby)

There was a line about meeting in Nailsworth multi-story which wound me right up, there are three multi-story car parks in Stroud itself but none in loving Nailsworth. Sloppy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

SalTheBard posted:

What's your podcast called, I could absolutely listen to a podcast about Peep Show.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

What's your podcast called, I could absolutely listen to a podcast about Peep Show.

El Dude Brothers Podcast. iTunes I RSS Feed I Soundcloud Profile

Let me preface this by saying that my original partner leaves the show after Man Show. If the person making Harambe jokes and wildly inaccurate factual claims turns you off, just skip to University Challenge. My partner Laura and I are actually getting ready to re-record the original 10 episodes starting this Saturday.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watching that ‘Mum’ show that was mentioned. Enjoying so far, although it feels like it was commissioned by someone who liked ‘Grandmas House’ but didn’t like the Simon Amstell aspect.

Pauline is driving me mad though, I’m not sure how much more of her I can take.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I wish the UK did some sci-fi. It's depressing that Sky never makes anything that appeals to me and I have to get it all from Netflix.
It's all tedious dramas that I have no interest in (and it feels like nobody else does either).

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I've got a little known show for you that I think you'll love. It's called Doctor Who.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've got a little known show for you that I think you'll love. It's called Doctor Who.

I'm afraid I'm looking for something that's actually good.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
...Red Dwarf?
I think scifi shows are too expensive or not the coming thing. I'm trying to think of the shows w/ that level of budget and they're all Game of Thronesy.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Hyperdrive....

What was the name of that C4 show where the youths got superpowers?

Black Mirror.
The Philip K Dick stuff C4 is doing with Netflix/Amazon.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Pablo Bluth posted:

Hyperdrive....

What was the name of that C4 show where the youths got superpowers?

Black Mirror.
The Philip K Dick stuff C4 is doing with Netflix/Amazon.

Misfits.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Crime Traveller or GTFO; it's all been uploaded to a popular video-sharing website.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Trin Tragula posted:

Crime Traveller or GTFO; it's all been uploaded to a popular video-sharing website.

Is it as bad as I remember, which is really quite bad?

edit: anyone remember The Strangerers? Reviews were terrible but I kind of liked it.

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 8, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

...Red Dwarf?
I think scifi shows are too expensive or not the coming thing. I'm trying to think of the shows w/ that level of budget and they're all Game of Thronesy.

I don't know if I count comedy. Don't get me wrong, I do love Red Dwarf but it's 6 episodes every 5 years sort of level with that.

And Black Mirror is Netflix now because C4 stopped making it.

Electric Dreams I did totally forget about though, that definitely counts. It's a shame it's a bit crap.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Misfits was great until Nathan left. Also there was another E4 thing based off a comic book which I seem to remember was pretty good but I can't remember the name.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Julio Cruz posted:

Misfits was great until Nathan left. Also there was another E4 thing based off a comic book which I seem to remember was pretty good but I can't remember the name.

Utopia? It was about a comic book, but not actually based on one AFAIK.

Peepshow Podcast guy should try Him & Her.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Fatty posted:

Utopia? It was about a comic book, but not actually based on one AFAIK.

Peepshow Podcast guy should try Him & Her.

I will check that out

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Taear posted:

Yes, and now I'll never be able to watch it seriously again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDde-yts33I

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Taear posted:

I wish the UK did some sci-fi. It's depressing that Sky never makes anything that appeals to me and I have to get it all from Netflix.
It's all tedious dramas that I have no interest in (and it feels like nobody else does either).

There was Humans, the Channel 4 sci-fi drama about having sex with robots.

I remember thinking at the time that if my wife came home and found me having sex with a robot she'd be furious. She wouldn't have a sense of humour about it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Julio Cruz posted:

It wasn’t quite the same after that but Rudy was legit a great character(s) and a really good replacement after you got your head around him being superficially similar but really quite different.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Misfits was never spectacular, but it was consistently good. Nathan leaving didn't make much of a difference because his character was a massive oval office.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Pissflaps posted:

There was Humans, the Channel 4 sci-fi drama about having sex with robots.

I remember thinking at the time that if my wife came home and found me having sex with a robot she'd be furious. She wouldn't have a sense of humour about it.

I liked season one of Humans. Then Westworld started and they did so much robot sex that I didn’t get into season two. I was robot sexed out.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Unkempt posted:

edit: anyone remember The Strangerers? Reviews were terrible but I kind of liked it.
Iirc wasn't that show notable for being Sky's first attempt at an original british comedy? I think I enjoyed it at the time, it felt a little like a more serious take on third rock. It can't have done very well though as it failed to get a second series despite the cliffhanger ending and has never been repeated or released on dvd.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Taear posted:

you got that backwards. Netflix outbid to poach Black Mirror from C4 and they were quite pissed about it

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Akuma posted:

It wasn’t quite the same after that but Rudy was legit a great character(s) and a really good replacement after you got your head around him being superficially similar but really quite different.

Misfits was a weird case where they had a very obvious replacement character who pivoted to becoming the only good character.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Feather duster salutes all round. :smith:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cerv posted:

you got that backwards. Netflix outbid to poach Black Mirror from C4 and they were quite pissed about it

Charlie Brooker put it differently on Twitter.

quote:

Feather duster salutes all round
Ken Dodd's dead?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Taear posted:

Ken Dodd's dead?

No word yet on the status of his dad's dog.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Feather duster salutes all round. :smith:

Between him and Bruce Forsyth, there can't be many of those old-school all-round entertainer sorts left.

Bernard Cribbins still hanging in there, though.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Wheat Loaf posted:

Between him and Bruce Forsyth, there can't be many of those old-school all-round entertainer sorts left.

Bernard Cribbins still hanging in there, though.

Ant and Dec are the tent poles for ITV throughout the entire year. Bradley Walsh has a primetime game show, acts, and had the best selling debut album for 2017 or some other nuts statistic.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

RIP Doddy, I saw him live twice and was the youngest audience member by a good 30 years or so, he was excellent. His first Audience With... is etched into my brain from repeated viewings

https://youtu.be/C4znpOdPRrg

Lemon fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I thought he had died years ago, on stage, but apparently I'm thinking of someone else.

I actually saw some of Ant and Dec this weekend as my parents love their Saturday night show. I was amazed at how retro it was. They even did that hidden camera thing where they surprise people at home, Noel Edmonds style. Then there were big musical numbers which reminded me of something from the 80s.