Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Sounds like culture kings is a bad shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Caleb, call the RTA for advice, file a notice to remedy breach form, if they still won't do anything after seven days (they will) then they're hosed.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Zenithe posted:

Caleb, call the RTA for advice, file a notice to remedy breach form, if they still won't do anything after seven days (they will) then they're hosed.
This would require Anidav doing something, rather than just going with the current.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Nazi's make Pizzas?

quote:

Second World War

During the 1930s and 1940s Rudolf-August Oetker was an active member of the Waffen SS and the Third Reich. Mr Oetker provided pudding mixes and munitions to Nazi troops. It is also reported that the business used slave labour in some of its facilities. A bronze bust of Dr Richard Kaselowsky, a prominent Nazi, sits within the company headquarters in Bielefeld.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I will handle this. Tolradi just believes my parody is real.

It's just annoying when LJ does nothing.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
The Nazi chocolate dessert pizza they do is also delicious. Thin base and actually nice chocolate.

Side note but just a general pet peeve (please note I am not suggesting anyone in this thread has done this, I'm just venting generally), but: I hate the mentality of people who argue that all we need is public transport and if we did it super duper just right we could get by without no roads or private vehicles at all. No. When people say poo poo like that, what they're doing is highlighting their privilege. For some people, cars and roads are a necessity. I say this as someone who could lose my car tomorrow and not have my life particularly affected. Growing up, however, with a single mother who worked full time and was raising two kids who did extracurricular activities on top of that? Nah, would not have been possible. This isn't just some back in the past ancient thing, either - I live in a part of Melbourne with great PT options and deal with homeless single parents pretty regularly and the struggles that they have regarding travel and transport are exactly the ones I'd have had, except they're homeless as well, so cost is even more of an issue.

This isn't even getting into the issue of people with disabilities or the elderly who may not be able to travel a fifteen, twenty minute walk to a train/tram/bus stop.

Are we over reliant on private travel? Absolutely. Should we spend more on public transport? Without a doubt. Even if we had the single greatest public transport system in the entire history of the universe, would we still need cars and roads? Yes we would.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Whitlam the last time we did this and ended up talking about Tarneit/Laverton people basically posted hahaha nigga as if you can't walk 5kms to and from the train hahahaha like just get soaking wet and work manual jobs in a freezer all day like wear a raincoat haha

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Goddammit, I just found some of his products in my kitchen. I had no idea the Nazi's used icing.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

JBP posted:

Whitlam the last time we did this and ended up talking about Tarneit/Laverton people basically posted hahaha nigga as if you can't walk 5kms to and from the train hahahaha like just get soaking wet and work manual jobs in a freezer all day like wear a raincoat haha

Sigh. You're right.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yeah but we still need more trains to free up the major road artiries.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Anidav posted:

Fo sho, see my previous point about let's invest more in public transport. My argument is more just "it actually isn't feasible to say everyone can and should get public transport forever" because for a bunch of people for a bunch of reasons it really isn't, even with an expanded network and more services, and handwaving those legitimate reasons away is at best unhelpful and arrogant (which, again, not singling anyone out).

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Whitlam, you're forgetting the "No one should own cars, everyone should just ride bikes everywhere" narrative that pops up from time to time too. The same criticisms apply there, but the response is the same, too.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Anidav posted:

Oh yeah good point I just need to be agile enough to eat it frozen

Do you have an iron? Cook one slice at a time. Also, you'll need a hair dryer, I saw this on the Living Room with Miguel.

On an actual topic however, could the underlying issue of the population boom be that the Federal Government controls the immigration lever, whilst the State Governments control the Education, Health and Infrastructure levers? My school just had a major upgrade and yet we someone don't have enough class rooms, or other school infrastructure to cope with the massive increase in student numbers. We literally have a class being conducted not in a classroom. The state government is apparently planning to bring in between 100-300 demountable classrooms across the state in coming years.

These are easily plannable eventualities and they're not being handled in a competent manner. It's every public school across my state. Every time I go to a hospitable they're groaning under the weight of not enough staff and too many patients. We just need more stuff.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

We need more everything. We just got a sweet heavy vehicle road plus several other upgrades and a distributor road to get heavy b doubles and poo poo from the port off suburban passenger roads. This also meant my road became safer and they could block the end to stop it being a "shortcut" that people would drive 70kms down past a primary school and a community centre.

When 10k people move in on top of the last 5k within two blocks of me, we will need loads more trains given I often go to the office late (a massive luxury) due to trains being commuter battle containers between 8 and 9 already. We will also need some other way to get hundreds more cars out. Not to mention we will also need to get more goods in and out of the area by truck since it's not going to be heavy industrial or bulk goods, which means lots of lorries and delivery vans.

The warehousing districts in the west that have thousands of workers come by car are because some have massive commutes, other responsibilities, poor services (by virtue of there being three stations, but warehouse frontage is like 100-200m minimum per workplace of 10-100 people, so you walk ages to your manual job) and most of the area doesn't even have footpaths/is dangerous for pedestrians.

JBP fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 12, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All the people who have a say in the building of infrastructure have chauffeurs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Inescapable Duck posted:

All the people who have a say in the building of infrastructure have chauffeurs.

C... Cool?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

GoldStandardConure posted:

During the 1930s and 1940s Rudolf-August Oetker was an active member of the Waffen SS and the Third Reich.

It's good frozen pizza though.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

JBP posted:

I love those American human interest pieces that are like "this brave child walks through snow and sleet and wolves for hundreds of miles in a blizzard to do his two dollar an hour shift at taco bell" like having a real lovely structural deprivation of good things is plucky and proud and clean

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

CrazyTolradi don't even get me started on bikes.

JBP posted:

We need more everything. We just got a sweet heavy vehicle road plus several other upgrades and a distributor road to get them off suburban passenger roads. This also meant my road became safer and they could block the end to stop it being a "shortcut" that people would drive 70kms down past a primary school and a community centre.

Teal coalition strikes again.

I'm in a similar boat regarding train services - near where I live (in an area with fairly low population density, compared to many areas) they're about to build something like 500 apartments about a five minute walk from a train station. Even if every one of those apartments has one person living in them, and only 100 people decide to take the train daily, that's going to be a huge increase that will probably necessitate longer trains, if not more services. Thank Christ Joan Kirner fought as hard as she did for the Williamstown line in the 90s when Kennet was trying to scrap it or we'd be hosed beyond belief right now.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Whitlam posted:

CrazyTolradi don't even get me started on bikes.

Teal coalition strikes again.

I'm in a similar boat regarding train services - near where I live (in an area with fairly low population density, compared to many areas) they're about to build something like 500 apartments about a five minute walk from a train station. Even if every one of those apartments has one person living in them, and only 100 people decide to take the train daily, that's going to be a huge increase that will probably necessitate longer trains, if not more services. Thank Christ Joan Kirner fought as hard as she did for the Williamstown line in the 90s when Kennet was trying to scrap it or we'd be hosed beyond belief right now.

As the resident bike crazy, even I will admit better, more continuous cycle infrastructure (which I 110% support) will not solve the problems raised without proper demand management.

There was a video a few months back of what seemed to be a hundred people cycling down a designated bike path due to a public transit workers strike in London. That sort of traffic would not be possible with the current infrastructure in Sydney, let alone somewhere like Perth.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Whitlam posted:

Thank Christ Joan Kirner fought as hard as she did for the Williamstown line in the 90s when Kennet was trying to scrap it or we'd be hosed beyond belief right now.

Yeah and Willie is still just an ugly stepchild of a rail line despite it being able to service the new growth corridor. Footscray had 1500 new dwellings approved last year in addition to the ones are already going up, which is 2000 at a conservative guess. It would probably have to be way more given they're putting up six towers by Dynon Rd alone.

Population is going to increase to double by 2040 in Footscray. Will be an absolute shitshow unless I can get a drone to pluck me from the yard and drop me at work.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

It's almost like employers should embrace teleworking or true flexibility...

Nah, it'd never work.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

froglet posted:

It's almost like employers should embrace teleworking or true flexibility...

Nah, it'd never work.

If only we had some sort of world class telecom infrastructure.

Also bikes get way over represented in policy discussions because the people leading policy discussion in the public service, lefty think tanks, and academia, are middle aged well off white dudes who ride bikes

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

My new idea for agile and innovative economic growth and job creation is we just hire a bunch of people to finally crack teleportation. Show me a single problem we've been discussing tonight it wouldn't solve.

Apart from Nazi pizza delicious pizza.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tokamak posted:

Ehhhhhhhh

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Whitlam posted:

My new idea for agile and innovative economic growth and job creation is we just hire a bunch of people to finally crack teleportation. Show me a single problem we've been discussing tonight it wouldn't solve.

Apart from Nazi pizza delicious pizza.

If you are deconstructed into atoms and reassembled somewhere else you have been murdered and a perfect copy of you is made

Alternatively there was that Stephen King story the Jaunt where if you kept your eyes open you live in a nightmare place for thousands of years and the movie Event Horizon where you travel through hell, mister speaker

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Whitlam posted:

My new idea for agile and innovative economic growth and job creation is we just hire a bunch of people to finally and violently purge conservatives and right wingers. Show me a single problem we've been discussing tonight it wouldn't solve.

Including Nazi pizza delicious pizza.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Peccadillo posted:

If you are deconstructed into atoms and reassembled somewhere else you have been murdered and a perfect copy of you is made

Alternatively there was that Stephen King story the Jaunt where if you kept your eyes open you live in a nightmare place for thousands of years and the movie Event Horizon where you travel through hell, mister speaker

So basically the same as catching a train at 8am.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Anidav posted:

I will handle this. Tolradi just believes my parody is real.

It's just annoying when LJ does nothing.

Get to your state's tenants rights website and download the "Notice to Landlord".

Once you give this to your landlord they have 14 days to repair the issue fully. They won't do a single goddamn thing if all you've done is call them up and ask nicely.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

If only we had some sort of world class telecom infrastructure.

Also bikes get way over represented in policy discussions because the people leading policy discussion in the public service, lefty think tanks, and academia, are middle aged well off white dudes who ride bikes

When my brains are not sad coz climate change is a spectre that looms above us all promising death and destruction in its wake I ride my ebike in to work.

As far as technology goes I genuinely think it could become a viable alternative to many car trips if people got over their fear of roads and disdain of cyclists in general as well as this nebulous idea that only kids and MAMILs ride bikes. Compared to a car it's relatively inexpensive to buy and maintain an ebike and the range can be quite impressive. The only thing getting in the way besides the aforementioned is the lack of cohesive policy surrounding cycling infrastructure (that again, is probably perpetuated by this pervasive idea that bikes are toys and not serious modes of transport).

Having attended the Ride to Work Week breakfast last year I do acknowledge there's a lot of old dudes in lycra, but I reckon it's only that way because there's very little in the way of infrastructure to encourage people who aren't old dudes or people with few other choices. I've read a few reports that state that you're more likely to get a better diversity in rider demographics when you improve infrastructure (i.e. more women, kids and old people start riding places).

Funnily enough, this week is bike week in WA, and if you live in this glorious backward state, I recommend you check out the events!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

JBP posted:

So basically the same as catching a train at 8am.

That is the idea for these stories, yes, they were conceived on the bus

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 12, 2018

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Whitlam posted:

Side note but just a general pet peeve (please note I am not suggesting anyone in this thread has done this, I'm just venting generally), but: I hate the mentality of people who argue that all we need is public transport and if we did it super duper just right we could get by without no roads or private vehicles at all. No. When people say poo poo like that, what they're doing is highlighting their privilege. For some people, cars and roads are a necessity. I say this as someone who could lose my car tomorrow and not have my life particularly affected. Growing up, however, with a single mother who worked full time and was raising two kids who did extracurricular activities on top of that? Nah, would not have been possible. This isn't just some back in the past ancient thing, either - I live in a part of Melbourne with great PT options and deal with homeless single parents pretty regularly and the struggles that they have regarding travel and transport are exactly the ones I'd have had, except they're homeless as well, so cost is even more of an issue.

I'm sorry but I don't understand your point here at all. Road infrastructure and private vehicles are needed to support homeless single parents? What? How about supporting transit-accessible affordable/social housing so single parents aren't homeless and don't have to drive around everywhere while what, living in their cars or something?

Whitlam posted:

This isn't even getting into the issue of people with disabilities or the elderly who may not be able to travel a fifteen, twenty minute walk to a train/tram/bus stop.

Then build accessible transit and start services like: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheel-Trans

Whitlam posted:

Are we over reliant on private travel? Absolutely. Should we spend more on public transport? Without a doubt. Even if we had the single greatest public transport system in the entire history of the universe, would we still need cars and roads? Yes we would.

Ok, good job demolishing that straw man I guess.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Even in the theoretical utopia where nobody needs a car on a day-to-day basis, you'd still need roads for the occasional transport of large items like fridges and desks as well as regular parcel delivery, not to mention services like police, fire and ambulance. Unless the ambulance services of the future involve literally teleporting you into a hospital, of course.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

In the future we won't need ambulances because of incredible medical advances no one will be able to afford treatment.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

froglet posted:

Even in the theoretical utopia where nobody needs a car on a day-to-day basis, you'd still need roads for the occasional transport of large items like fridges and desks as well as regular parcel delivery, not to mention services like police, fire and ambulance. Unless the ambulance services of the future involve literally teleporting you into a hospital, of course.

Did I miss someone suggesting that all roads should be removed and replaced with uhh what exactly? Not even in this thread I mean I don't think I've ever heard such a thing argued in earnest.

Anyway in the future everything will be delivered by drones. Ambulances will be 2-4 drones supporting a hammock. Fire departments will be firefighters with jetpacks and drones with supersoakers. Desks will be superceded by VR and then neural implants.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

Knobb Manwich posted:

In the future we won't need ambulances because of incredible medical advances no one will be able to afford treatment.

Lived to the ripe old age of died of dysentery because due to climate change we ran out of water.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

What if the solution were more 457 visas for lethal bloodsport combatants, and the crowd gets to drink the blood of the losers? I think I saw a documentary about this by George Miller.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tokamak posted:

drat good stuff.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

The Peccadillo posted:

In Think Like a Dinosaur by James Patrick Kelly, people are copied to another location before having themselves euthanised

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

eXXon posted:

I'm sorry but I don't understand your point here at all. Road infrastructure and private vehicles are needed to support homeless single parents? What? How about supporting transit-accessible affordable/social housing so single parents aren't homeless and don't have to drive around everywhere while what, living in their cars or something?

Nah not people living in their cars or anything, more "it's hard enough being a single parent, let alone with two or more kids, let alone if you're homeless on top of that." Buses and trams are (I'd argue) underutilized methods of public transport, but due to their circuitous and slow nature, they aren't always a realistic option, especially if there are multiple competing time pressures (for instance, one kid has after school sport and you also need to be at your housing meeting, which the kid is required to be there for - that's not a hypothetical example, if you're arguing that you need space for a kid they need to come to the meeting where I live). Trains can only go where there are stations. If you've got multiple competing time pressures, your options may be to choose between them or drive.

I've also seen homeless single parents get offered jobs far away from where their housing and kid's school are, in which case their options are a) leave early every day to catch public transport get the kids (which employers are generally not on board with), b) decline the job or c) drive.

Maybe in some hypothetical world you could have a perfect utopian system of public transport that is reliable (which ours definitely isn't), safe and cheap, but we definitely do not have that in this reality, so for some people, cars are a fairly non-negotiable necessity.

• Locked thread