Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Muffinlord posted:

You can also see a lot of proto-Zeta in the mecha designs, which is cool as hell, and the first opening song is honestly one of my favorites.

There's actually an English version of the OP and it's actually rad as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhUkRN4TMxI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Schwarzwald posted:

There's actually an English version of the OP and it's actually rad as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhUkRN4TMxI

What's better is that MIQ did both versions and apparently is fluently bilingual. She also did the themes for Dunbine, but that doesn't have a vocoder going HEAVY METAL in it.

Edit: I watched all of ID-0 in two nights based on how much I'd enjoyed BBK/BRNK and that sure is a mecha anime. It's not bad in any outstanding way but it was kinda generic. The designs and the mecha control system were pretty neat but it still feels like the CG for the characters and the CG for the mecha were done by two different teams that shot for two different framerates when they were rendering. Also one of the most drastic differences in quality between the OP and ED tracks as well.

OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzfVwKcDduA

ED:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LthTqwR4U9o

Like what the gently caress are those vocals, seriously?

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 11, 2018

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

The Muffinlord posted:

Edit: I watched all of ID-0 in two nights based on how much I'd enjoyed BBK/BRNK and that sure is a mecha anime. It's not bad in any outstanding way but it was kinda generic. The designs and the mecha control system were pretty neat but it still feels like the CG for the characters and the CG for the mecha were done by two different teams that shot for two different framerates when they were rendering. Also one of the most drastic differences in quality between the OP and ED tracks as well.

OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzfVwKcDduA

ED:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LthTqwR4U9o

Like what the gently caress are those vocals, seriously?

I thought ID-0 was a pretty good show myself. Although I would argue it works better with weekly viewing sessions than through binge-watching, especially given the density of dialogue at a few points. It's easy to miss nuances in a rush.

Specific elements have been done before, yes, but not necessarily in combination. It's not like we're swamped with a ton of space-based non-military mecha series these days, let alone many anime starring non-fleshy robots as actual individuals, to truly consider it as "generic" in my opinion.

By the way, the framerate for the 3D animation wasn't always constant, whether we're talking about characters or mecha, so certain scenes looked better than others. I think the 3D mecha were a lot more impressive in general, no doubt, but at times even the humans also looked nice and I almost forgot they weren't 2D.

I really liked the OP. Regarding the ED theme...the English pronounciation reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYKW6fVqbmA

wielder fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 11, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

...Sounds like I need to binge ID-0!

Also, what other animes have non-fleshy robots as actual characters, outside of Exkaiser/The Brave series and Ghost in the Shell's spider 'bots?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also, what other animes have non-fleshy robots as actual characters, outside of Exkaiser/The Brave series and Ghost in the Shell's spider 'bots?

Are we counting AIs that banter with the pilot or only fully autonomous 'bots?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zore posted:

Are we counting AIs that banter with the pilot or only fully autonomous 'bots?

I'll take both, as long as you're clear about which is which.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'll take both, as long as you're clear about which is which.

Full Metal Panic! has Al, an AI in the main mech. He's of questionable note though he becomes more important as the story goes on with the upcoming season presumably covering some of his more important stuff.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet has a piloted robot who's also a major character. The show's kinda disappointingly mediocre though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Zore posted:

Full Metal Panic! has Al, an AI in the main mech. He's of questionable note though he becomes more important as the story goes on with the upcoming season presumably covering some of his more important stuff.

Thanks, I'll give the novels a shot!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet has a piloted robot who's also a major character. The show's kinda disappointingly mediocre though.

Ughhhh that show, I wanted to like it but it wanted to not...do anything worthwhile. :(

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

There are some Transformers anime. I can't make promises about quality though.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I'm still a bit sad that a second season of Gargantia was in the works but ultimately cancelled.

I think they still had a lot left to do with that setting. Oh well.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Droyer posted:

There are some Transformers anime. I can't make promises about quality though.

Victory is the good one, the others are either bad or (also bad/mediocre) sequels to G1.... and I've seen way, way too much Transformers, haha.

I'd genuinely recommend Transformers Victory to anyone who likes giant robot fights, though - it's unrelated to the rest of the franchise, it's just Earth getting a gang of giant robots protecting them while their evil foes attack the Earth, and it's tons of fun. :D

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Victory is the one with Violence Jiger right? I've always been impressed with how over the top his design is, and how hardcore his name is

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Victory is the one with Violence Jiger right? I've always been impressed with how over the top his design is, and how hardcore his name is

No that's Zone, Victory is the one with Deathsaurus (which, as an aside, is a loving amazing villain name).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So, y’all got any particular favourite giant robot fight scenes?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

All of the fight scenes in Gasaraki are top-tier, especially the last one in the series. It's so... different and compelling and I wish it hadn't been over completely stupid stakes. The writing in that show collapses once they leave the Middle East hardcore, but drat if the fights aren't amazing.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

As an aside to the whole robots as characters thing on a whim i decided it was finally time to go through the whole Brave franchise. My plan is to watch an entire show and then write an impressions/review thing in here once i'm done, and then a retrospective once i've watched them all.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Droyer posted:

As an aside to the whole robots as characters thing on a whim i decided it was finally time to go through the whole Brave franchise. My plan is to watch an entire show and then write an impressions/review thing in here once i'm done, and then a retrospective once i've watched them all.

:yeah:

Looking forward to it!! I am (slowly) working through a similar deal, but my attention span is terrible. (I'm on Figh Bird ep 8)

Exkaiser was genuine comfort food to me when I watched it - it's cliche, it's clearly made on a budget, but drat if those writers weren't having fun. It feels like a genuinely heartfelt "boy befriends giant robot, they fight evil robots" story, with no funky twists and childlike villains (up until you meet the big bad). It's just...so good. I envy you for getting to watch it for the first time!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

:yeah:

Looking forward to it!! I am (slowly) working through a similar deal, but my attention span is terrible. (I'm on Figh Bird ep 8)

Exkaiser was genuine comfort food to me when I watched it - it's cliche, it's clearly made on a budget, but drat if those writers weren't having fun. It feels like a genuinely heartfelt "boy befriends giant robot, they fight evil robots" story, with no funky twists and childlike villains (up until you meet the big bad). It's just...so good. I envy you for getting to watch it for the first time!

I'm only ten eps in so far but my main issue is that the villains just wanna steal poo poo. It makes it feel like the conflict lacks scope.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Droyer posted:

I'm only ten eps in so far but my main issue is that the villains just wanna steal poo poo. It makes it feel like the conflict lacks scope.

That's all the scope you're getting, pretty much - that's why it's comfort food. These dumb kids want to steal stuff to show off to their boss - and I freely admit that I got attached to these kids, because, well, they're kids. Their boss is basically the worst dad.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The villains being recolored dinobots makes me laugh.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thanks, I'll give the novels a shot!

The first four were translated by Tokyopop, but after that you'll be in fanlations and some of them are rough. PM me if you need help tracking them down.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh, cool, another excuse for me to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcX2DHD2zXI

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Schwarzwald posted:

Oh, cool, another excuse for me to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcX2DHD2zXI

Akira, you couldn't have gotten out the sword a few trillion in property damage earlier.

You know, does anyone even remember the new REIDEEN?

e: not even the internet remembers REIDEEN, all the pages for it are dead.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 12, 2018

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I remember REIDEEN. I really enjoyed the soundtrack, it had an understated sense of humor, and I think I ran out of nice things to say about it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Caphi posted:

Akira, you couldn't have gotten out the sword a few trillion in property damage earlier.

RahXephon was pretty neat, yeah. :v:

Calvin Coolposts
Jun 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
A few months ago I remembered REIDEEN existed, couldn't remember if I watched the whole thing or not, tried to find fansubs for it, got nothing, wondered for a second if I had made the whole thing up, and then just watched a couple episodes of RahXephon instead. I guess what I'm trying to say is that REIDEEN was the most forgettable show of all time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I actually saw the new Reideen as my first intro in the world of...apparently the Reideen-verse. It was during that period of SEED where everything was half-CG half horrible.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

The attack on Torrington Base from Gundam Unicorn is pretty great. Starting with the montage of all the old Zeon soldiers hidden on earth breaking out their old MS, to their initial surprise attack and inevitable defeat. It's great Gundam fanwank seeing all the obscure poo poo like the Zogok and Yari anti-MS missiles. And in fine Gundam tradition, the whole thing is largely pointless and tragic and results in a lot of people dying.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Caphi posted:

I remembered the new REIDEEN. I even liked it, although the pacing was loving glacial and nothing ever happened.

I stopped watching around the episode Reideen fought Tamashii exclusive Black Reideen. I always meant to finish the series, but like Calvin I couldn't find the subs when I went looking for them.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

new Reideen is fully on HiDive, since Sentai did the disc release a few years ago. worth noting that HiDive is about to leave beta and you can lock in the $4/mo sub price for two years if you sign up before then.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

dogsicle posted:

new Reideen is fully on HiDive, since Sentai did the disc release a few years ago. worth noting that HiDive is about to leave beta and you can lock in the $4/mo sub price for two years if you sign up before then.

I thought I saw about 16 or 17 episodes but looking it up I stopped watching the series at episode 9. :lol:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Darth Walrus posted:

SEED Destiny when Shinn tries to catch beam sabers with his bare hands and then do a shin battle against a Gundam with laser shinns

It worked out really well

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Giant Robo vs the Eye of Folger in episode 7.

And Daisaku's charge, but that's not really a "mecha battle".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I remember the Abigor fight from Victory Gundam pretty well. It's a neat, well-choreographed battle in a destroyed space colony.

The Eva vs the giant D8 is also a classic.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VA-3aPCQTc

This battle from Dougram is memorable because it's the only time in all 75 episodes that the battle isn't just a head on shot of robots running shooting their guns

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VA-3aPCQTc

This battle from Dougram is memorable because it's the only time in all 75 episodes that the battle isn't just a head on shot of robots running shooting their guns

That's the highwater mark?

Well. That's definitely something. Still better than the fights in FLAG, at least.

I'm fond of most of the IBO fights, myself. Smaller numbers of combatants, melee over long range, and a tendency towards unconventional brutality all makes for a different feel than most Gundam combat. Mika and Carta isn't exactly a fun watch, but it's very good at conveying what it means to.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

I thought I saw about 16 or 17 episodes but looking it up I stopped watching the series at episode 9. :lol:

I was going to say I liked Reideen even though it was kind of short, remembering as a 11 episode series. But no, I just looked it up and it was actually 26 episodes. I don't think anything good I can say about the series can compensate for how damning that is.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I just remembered that REIDEEN has a moon sized sword.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynZsX2Ouq0A

The main plot was essentially about aliens trying to capture it because it was insanely powerful. Which went about as well as you might expect. Also REIDEEN is somehow the pilot's girlfriend...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Zone of the Enders: Dolores, I wasn't anything amazing but it was amusing enough and the main robot had an AI that thought it was a human girl.