Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Hell yeah. Legend of Mana is my favorite game and it's complete poo poo gameplay-wise.

Also I started playing this FF15 game finally and it might be the rare good Final Fantasy...!?

(jk they're all good except for the ones I don't like)

Multiples of 5 are all good. Whether I just mean 5,10,15 or every 5th game they make and what even is a FF game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

Hell yeah. Legend of Mana is my favorite game and it's complete poo poo gameplay-wise.

Also I started playing this FF15 game finally and it might be the rare good Final Fantasy...!?

(jk they're all good except for the ones I don't like)

A good Final Fantasy lol, always gettin my :10bux: worth on comedy forum SA.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ciaphas posted:

From a mechanical/aesthetic point of view the power to turn into a loving dragon (apocalyptic news in all the BoFs far as I know)

In BoF 1-2 the Dragon Clan is known for being crazy powerful but not in an apocalyptic sort of way (more the opposite if anything). Same with 3 but the Brood are given a bad wrap for reasons that are covered during gameplay. In BoF 4 dragons are literally gods, though, so even in Ryu and Fou-Lu's case they're still extremely powerful in their own right.

Kaiser/Agni is always an extremely strong gently caress You SSJ anime power in BoF though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I borrowed Dissidia NT from a friend, and I don't even get what I'm supposed to be doing in it. How do I keep track of enemies? What am I trying to do? What on earth is going on? The game seems like kind of a mess.

Shift focus constantly and keep an eye on your map to make sure you aren't getting pincered or breaking off from your teammates, communicate with your team, don't get strung out into one on one fights with others, use your support skills, be prepared to cut if you see a teammate getting comboed and you're not in direct danger, sidestep cancel whiffs, don't forget to block but don't get complacent with it because you can get hp attacked, pick summons that coordinate with teamcomp

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)
So is the frame rate for this in lite mode still jacked up or is it me? I just bought a pro and was doing the new dlc today and everything just looked strange to me. Almost felt like I was getting motion sickness or something too. I don't know. Probably just me but I was curious.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Hoffadoff posted:

So is the frame rate for this in lite mode still jacked up or is it me? I just bought a pro and was doing the new dlc today and everything just looked strange to me. Almost felt like I was getting motion sickness or something too. I don't know. Probably just me but I was curious.

Change it to balanced.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Hey thread, just dropping by to say that I stuck with FF13 after finding the combat bewildering, but I'm about eight hours in (Sunleth Waterscape with Sazh and Vanille) and it's really started to click, which in turn has me engaged in the game and story so I'm enjoying the game a lot more.Thanks for helping to explain and encouraging to stick with it. I'm still befuddled by how the combat ranking scores you on, I'll look it up sometime, but 3-5 stars aren't uncommon. Not sure I'll mark it down as a favourite but it's pretty enjoyable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

For the people who've been enjoying FFXV's gameplay: is it better in active or wait mode? I'm starting the full game now but I'm not sure what the best approach is for making the combat as fun as possible.

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.

Harrow posted:

For the people who've been enjoying FFXV's gameplay: is it better in active or wait mode? I'm starting the full game now but I'm not sure what the best approach is for making the combat as fun as possible.

I personally have beaten the game (but only once) and I was more than satisfied leaving it on Active and simply pausing with the item menu when I needed to heal. Sometimes things could get hectic, but I never felt like it was completely out of my control.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

forgot that the royal arms were actually equippable things rather than key items until just now :v:

but are they worth using? i feel like noctis' HP is on a razor edge most o fthe time anyway

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

forgot that the royal arms were actually equippable things rather than key items until just now :v:

but are they worth using? i feel like noctis' HP is on a razor edge most o fthe time anyway

They can be good in certain situations. In particular there's a katana with a build-in Holy/Light element that shreds through Flans and the like, and the shield is vital for AP grinding and a decent AOE weapon besides.

They all have unique movesets and are stylish as hell so it's worth giving them a try when your HP pool is a little more robust.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

They're worth equipping, yes, because they have huge stat boosts attached to them. Actually using them in combat is situational at best for most of them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
How do you switch between Active and Wait, anyway?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DeadButDelicious posted:

Hey thread, just dropping by to say that I stuck with FF13 after finding the combat bewildering, but I'm about eight hours in (Sunleth Waterscape with Sazh and Vanille) and it's really started to click, which in turn has me engaged in the game and story so I'm enjoying the game a lot more.Thanks for helping to explain and encouraging to stick with it. I'm still befuddled by how the combat ranking scores you on, I'll look it up sometime, but 3-5 stars aren't uncommon. Not sure I'll mark it down as a favourite but it's pretty enjoyable.

Glad to hear it, its the best combat system in the franchise its just saddled with, well, something else.

For ranks its basically just speed, so the more you live on the edge the more likely you are to get a 5 star. It doesn't, unfortunately have any actual bearing on anything except your self edification; in fact getting a one star increases the odds you get items like deceptisol.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Barudak posted:

They're worth equipping, yes, because they have huge stat boosts attached to them. Actually using them in combat is situational at best for most of them.

The equipping part I didn't even notice and dang, outfits affect stats a little too. Huh :v:

I'm in the base in ch5 and was that Ramuh summon scripted to occur? If so are they all like that?

also i appear tonow be stuck at 15 or so fps :\

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

The equipping part I didn't even notice and dang, outfits affect stats a little too. Huh :v:

I'm in the base in ch5 and was that Ramuh summon scripted to occur? If so are they all like that?

In cold or hot climates equipping outfits with or without jackets will also stop the boys complainig about the weather too.

As for summons thats scripted, but yes everytime you summon one its that badass and powrful. FFXV is the first FF game to make summons fee appropriatley awesome.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Well that's good because now I get to see it again. Game crashed after mysteriously chugging at 20FPS for a while, and took me back to my last autosave: just before the assault.

TYOOL2018 and not one but two major games that don't have rolling, frequent autosaves.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Barudak posted:

In cold or hot climates equipping outfits with or without jackets will also stop the boys complainig about the weather too.

As for summons thats scripted, but yes everytime you summon one its that badass and powrful. FFXV is the first FF game to make summons fee appropriatley awesome.

Even day or night; Noctis complains about the cold at night if he doesn't have a jacket.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ciaphas posted:

TYOOL2018 and not one but two major games that don't have rolling, frequent autosaves.

Square-Enix demands you loving make your own god drat saves.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was gonna save as soon as it let me! But it never did until the cutscene and then it crashed on the way out!!

Blargh!!!!

(I'm already back past that point so lol anyway but still)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ciaphas posted:

Some are. The Shuriken is really good, for example.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Yeh summons are a little horked, after they're over save, quit to title, and reload soon as ya can. :/

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Royal Arms crossbow has a very good specific use against one of the level 99 hunts.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

teh_Broseph posted:

Yeh summons are a little horked, after they're over save, quit to title, and reload soon as ya can. :/

I hope this is a case of the Yaks. Only it's Ramuh still being rendered outside the skybox. Waiting.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The Brave New World readme said it included something called "Lunar IPS" that would patch the ROM but it didn't. Fuckers

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There you go.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DeadButDelicious posted:

Ranks are, basically, determined depending on how close you are to the target time. And that target time is calculated for each fight depending on your stats/equipment vs the enemies level (which you can see via Libra/battle info page or in the datalog). Higher stats on your party = lower target time, so sometimes you can have a harder fight due to lovely equipment but it makes the target time much easier to hit. Boss fights generally have high levels, so they'll almost always have high target times. It's for random encounters you'll see more variation.

I don't know the ratio for time difference to rank off the top of my head, but it's basically like this: if you match the target time, you get 3 stars. So you need to get a faster time than the target time for 4-5 stars, and a slower time for 0-1-2 stars. Unfortunately, there's no way to know the target time for a fight in advance without either doing the calculations yourself, or just fighting the encounter and noting the target time at the end.

I think it's good you're enjoying it so far, because right at Chapter 7 is where the game starts giving more options bit by bit, and not long after you'll get your options to make full teams as you want.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Okay, I'm finally starting to "get" FFXV's combat. I'm still really early on, like I just reached the beach and got my ticket to get on the ferry early, but now I'm starting to use techniques and follow them up with link strikes and it feels really cool.

Now what I need to do is get better at the defensive side of things. I'm guessing there are other criteria for when you can block/counterattack than just hitting X when it shows up on the screen, because I swear I've hit it in time and just... not done it at least a few times. Do I also need to be facing the right way or something? Or is the timing even tighter than I think? (Or is it possible that one of my bros knocked the monster out of its attack animation and I didn't notice it in the chaos or something?)

Also: in general, should I stick around in an area and do a few hunts/side quests or something before progressing the story every time, or are you generally free to move around for most of the game and I can come back and do those hunts shortly? Specifically, I have at least a couple of hunts in the first region that I can probably handle at this level and I don't know when I'll be able to come back after getting on the ferry--I'd prefer to do them when they're "level appropriate," I guess.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Blocking/parrying can be done by holding down the prompt, it's not super precise timing.

You can do sidequests whenever, nothing bar maybe a few very specific ones get locked out over time. You won't get locked out for sidequests very long at the ferry.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

You are making the same mistake everyone playing FFXV makes; its not a tap when the defend prompt comes up, its a hold. Why the game even after all these revisions doesnt put a ton of effort into telling you its QTE doesnt work like any other QTE ever is a mystery, but now you know.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Get to chapter 3 and then if you want to park yourself for a while and start doing every sidequest you can then that's as good a time to do it as any. That's the point at which you get access to chocobos so you don't have to walk for miles off-road. Your open-world options do gradually open up over the course of the game, but on the other hand story missions do occasionally lock you in for a while, particularly towards the end of the game. Despite what the game might imply on occasion though there is no point-of-no-return; there's even a bunch of open world stuff that only becomes available in postgame.

Also it's really easy to rocket up to like level 40 while sidequesting if you actually make it your objective to level up, but then you're going to roflstomp everything that comes your way for most of the actual plotline, and there's a few storyline fights that aren't as fun if your squad just rolls up and immediately chaos dunks them. Well, maybe one fight against a certain dragoon is worth doing at an appropriately low level. idk.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 12, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Barudak posted:

You are making the same mistake everyone playing FFXV makes; its not a tap when the defend prompt comes up, its a hold. Why the game even after all these revisions doesnt put a ton of effort into telling you its QTE doesnt work like any other QTE ever is a mystery, but now you know.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Blocking/parrying can be done by holding down the prompt, it's not super precise timing.

Well, that would explain it. Huh. Time to get hit less next time!

Sapozhnik posted:

Get to chapter 3 and then if you want to park yourself for a while and start doing every sidequest you can then that's as good a time to do it as any. That's the point at which you get access to chocobos so you don't have to walk for miles off-road.

Makes sense. I'll beeline up to Chapter 3, then, because I do love me some chocobos.

Is the "get AP for long chocobo rides" thing worth picking up once I get to that point?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Barudak posted:

It must tell you at some point, because i never had a problem with it and im a huge idiot.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yes, get the skills that earn AP for car rides and chocobo rides ASAP because that's going to add up to a whole lot of AP over the course of the entire game.

The one that gives you EXP for cars and chocobos is a bit less of a slam dunk because it's something like 10 EXP per minute driving/riding. Even if that comes out to 10,000 EXP for the whole game you can earn that by just doing a sidequest or two.

Also get Ignis' Regroup ability because it is broken good. It's a free party-wide heal and revive every two action bars. Then get the skills that build the action bar every time Noctis hits something or gets hit.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I don't remember these from when I played the ps4 version but on PC you start with accessories that give you AP for finishing battles with an A+ in the three areas and the ones for time and offense seem really good (gently caress getting A+ in finesse)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I'm using the offense and time accessories because (at least early on) it's been really easy to get A+ on those like every time. And I grabbed Regroup ASAP on this group's recommendation and it is very cool and good.

I have the skill that gives me AP for long car rides, but not the second level of it yet. I also grabbed the camping one but I'm less certain that one's going to end up really paying off. I'll grab the chocobo one as soon as I'm actually able to ride chocobos. I also beelined for second accessory slots since the PC version started me with so many nice ones, and I'm working towards unlocking the ability to switch to the bros.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Get techniques asap! Gladio has some extremely powerful attacks, and Starshell is nice for the boss fights which mostly tend to be demons

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I'm using the offense and time accessories because (at least early on) it's been really easy to get A+ on those like every time. And I grabbed Regroup ASAP on this group's recommendation and it is very cool and good.

I have the skill that gives me AP for long car rides, but not the second level of it yet. I also grabbed the camping one but I'm less certain that one's going to end up really paying off. I'll grab the chocobo one as soon as I'm actually able to ride chocobos. I also beelined for second accessory slots since the PC version started me with so many nice ones, and I'm working towards unlocking the ability to switch to the bros.

Yah you're doing awesome then on everything. The first AP for Choco rides and car rides are great to get ASAP, the rest of the exploration tree is pretty ignore-able though imo. Going to stress it again to kind of make a call of either doing sidequests or just focusing on the story and saving sidequests as post-game - there's not a "right" answer but levels matter a lot and sidequesting will quickly boost you past the curve and make the story quests really easy. Doing a few hunts is great to have spending cash, though.

Patch is out on Steam to fix the post-summon framerate drop, woo.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I'd say try to grab either Prompto or Ignis' character switch first since those two are useful in more situations but also just more fun to play imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I already grabbed Ignis's character switch and I'm going to get Prompto's next.

When it comes to the "episode" DLCs: story-wise, should I do those post-game, or do them about when they're "supposed" to be in the main game's story?