Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

A wargame about setting up and maintaining a logistics train from the town to the wilderness to a dungeon's FEBA would unironically own. You'd start with caravans and caravan guards, then move to mule trains as you get to rougher terrain, then porters and torchbearers inside the dungeon itself.

I'd play the hex and counter version, but turn it into a campaign-based boardgame and my old Hackmaster group would go apeshit for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zurui posted:

FFG will produce a revolutionary, interesting take on D&D with new mechanics.

It'll be another bad d% game that exists purely as an excuse to sell overpriced custom dice with really badly-designed symbols on them.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

spectralent posted:

also LFQW is just "I have fun when other people have less fun". Yeah, sure, people who like playing wizards probably love it but I imagine the pool of people who really want to have to sit on their hands for four hours and get told all their fun ideas are impossible while Dave conjours his eleventh platinum half-demon orca to trivially save everyone is probably much smaller.
just post this and close the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFuMpYTyRjw

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

I don't think it actually benefits a game to try and cater to both, to go for the stereotypical example, someone who's really invested in the game and consequently knows how to exploit the hell out of all the tools at their disposal and the guy who shows up just to drink beer and occasionally hit stuff with an axe when he remembers it's his turn.
Well there's a major benefit if you can pull it off, which is that it's a game that both those players can participate in and feel like it's ticking the boxes they wanted out of a game.

The Forge days of hyper-targeted games aimed at an extremely specific game experience to meet a very defined play agenda gave us lots of lovingly-designed indie games which it ended up being absolute hell to sell a group on playing. If you want to see your game get widespread actual play then you need to design it for a range of tastes and levels of engagement because the odds of everyone in a gaming group liking exactly the same thing are pretty long.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Alien Rope Burn posted:

That's also, IMO, why light storygames struggle to gain dominance. They require so much less buy-in and so much less time that they're discardable.
I see your point there, but I think there's also the Forge influence on the storygame scene encouraging designers to drive out all signs of incoherence and aim for a particular agenda of play on the part of participants. If everyone buys into the idea that's great, but in general if you don't dig what the game in question is trying to do you'll have a miserable time.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Bedlamdan posted:

Okay so after a lot of thinking: Pathfinder is better than D&D 5E, because I can play Pugmire on Pathfinder and not D&D 5E

ERGO

Pathfinder wins. Okay glad we were able to sort that one out at least.
Isn't that exactly the reverse, Pugmire being based on the 5E OGL?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

ProfessorCirno posted:

AD&D combat was not assumed to use a grid. It assumed you used minis and a ruler, but even then, it wasn't that important. That's because pre-3e D&D was a dungeon crawler through and through (though this also gets more true the farther back you go; by 2e, it was trying to shed that a lot).

I'd argue 2e made the biggest change here simply by removing the "1 gp = 1 xp" rule. That rule really emphasized that getting the treasure was the priority, everything else was incidental, whereas 2e wanted to be less "Monty Haul". The problem being, the awards for non-combat XP were kept vague so combat became the main source of XP (and the 2e DMG even says that story/quest XP shouldn't be as high as combat XP), and with low level characters still being super fragile this meant slow progression, as anyone who ever played Baldur's Gate can attest.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Lemon-Lime posted:

It'll be another bad d% game that exists purely as an excuse to sell overpriced custom dice with really badly-designed symbols on them.

I think it can only be one of those things unless they're gonna think up a *lot* of symbols

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Warthur posted:

The Forge days of hyper-targeted games aimed at an extremely specific game experience to meet a very defined play agenda gave us lots of lovingly-designed indie games which it ended up being absolute hell to sell a group on playing. If you want to see your game get widespread actual play then you need to design it for a range of tastes and levels of engagement because the odds of everyone in a gaming group liking exactly the same thing are pretty long.

I think the fallacy here is assuming that a game needs to be a market leader to be good; the one upside of RPG-as-hobby is that there's now enough games out there that people shouldn't have to settle for acceptably-lovely games.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The problem is it needs to be a market leader so I can have anyone to play it with.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

remusclaw posted:

The problem is it needs to be a market leader so I can have anyone to play it with.

Trying to convince people to play a fantasy RPG that isn't D&D or Path is like trying to convince a child than some off brand superhero toy is just as good as their Superman or Iron Man action figure.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

Trying to convince people to play a fantasy RPG that isn't D&D or Path is like trying to convince a child than some off brand superhero toy is just as good as their Superman or Iron Man action figure.

So what, you saying that non D&D/Pathfinder games are crap that's full of chinese lead paint?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Xelkelvos posted:

it's not hard to do with licensed properties, people are generally down with Star Wars or Call of Cthulu in my experience

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Warthur posted:

Isn't that exactly the reverse, Pugmire being based on the 5E OGL?

I hosed UP AGAIN

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Plutonis posted:

So what, you saying that non D&D/Pathfinder games are crap that's full of chinese lead paint?

I was originally gonna make a comparison to hole-in-the-wall restaurants and chains, but I felt that might've been too much of a stretch.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

remusclaw posted:

Start with the bad and familiar, move towards the good stuff.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
"I'm terrible at communicating to other humans, or providing simple pitches explaining why these legacy games are bloated messes and more modern games are available within the same genre but with more accessible rules, which is why Pathfinder must continue to exist, you see."

Warthur
May 2, 2004

spectralent posted:

I think the fallacy here is assuming that a game needs to be a market leader to be good; the one upside of RPG-as-hobby is that there's now enough games out there that people shouldn't have to settle for acceptably-lovely games.
Oh, absolutely a game doesn't need to be a market leader to be good - but PF2 needs to be a market leader if it isn't going to be a commercial disappointment compared to PF1. What would be a perfectly acceptable sales figure - or even a massive hit - by the standards of an indie publisher or small press would be a catastrophic failure for Paizo.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

"Why I don't like your favorite game and why mine is better" has never really been a winning pitch.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

remusclaw posted:

"Why I don't like your favorite game and why mine is better" has never really been a winning pitch.

I assume there must be a way to explain stuff to people who want to try a new game that doesn't involve a breathless rant about how terrible everything is, but I have also grown into my couch so it's hard to go outside and test this

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

I assume there must be a way to explain stuff to people who want to try a new game that doesn't involve a breathless rant about how terrible everything is, but I have also grown into my couch so it's hard to go outside and test this

Yeah, but as someone else put a bit differently, you gotta put the time in with folks playing the popular games before they like you enough to listen when you tell them that there is a better way. Last gaming group I played with put me off of them before the game did. But well, no gaming before bad gaming, I suppose.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

How’s XCOM? Someone is trying to get me to play it by comparing it to space alert but I read it has dice rolling.

E: oops wrong thread

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 12, 2018

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

remusclaw posted:

Yeah, but as someone else put a bit differently, you gotta put the time in with folks playing the popular games before they like you enough to listen when you tell them that there is a better way. Last gaming group I played with put me off of them before the game did. But well, no gaming before bad gaming, I suppose.

Yea, that's the issue. There's massive inertia in most groups, and by the time you actually get anything that's not popular to the table, it's expected to light up the sky and dance with the angels.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

hyphz posted:

Yea, that's the issue. There's massive inertia in most groups, and by the time you actually get anything that's not popular to the table, it's expected to light up the sky and dance with the angels.

My old group ended up having three go-to games: 3.x with all of the trimmings, RIFTS, or this 4X game based on a tumorous mass that used to be GURPS at one point in the distant past. I couldn't even get through an opening pitch for something like Gamma World, let alone Apocalypse World.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
My 4e game group is open to other systems: most of them are also playing in a side game of 13th Age that I'd like to join but just don't have time. When our current campaign ends in a few months there's talk of starting up Numenera, which, y'know, points for not being D&D but god dammit.

Most gamers around here are pretty stuck on D&D5e, or Pathfinder. I know there's a local Star Wars community but it seems hard to track down: X-Wing, Armada, and Destiny seem way more common than the RPG since it's more focused on FLGSs. The internet ought to make this sort of thing easier, but it doesn't seem to.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

Honestly even seeing who'd be interested in trying Pathfinder has gotten me some weird looks from friends.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

For my long running group I would have a special “Halloween Episode” each year where “forces beyond space and time would warp reality” and i’d have rolled up all their characters in a different system - FATE, DW, 13A, etc. It was a gentle but effective way to get them to try things outside of D20. Our next campaign’s GM decided to try running HeroQuest. This is my success story.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I started an AD&D campaign in TYOOL 2016 but every few weeks I'd let the other players run something else, with them as the GM, to break up the monotony. After doing V:TM 20th Anniversary and Tenra Bansho Zero, we ditched AD&D entirely.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Warthur posted:

Oh, absolutely a game doesn't need to be a market leader to be good - but PF2 needs to be a market leader if it isn't going to be a commercial disappointment compared to PF1. What would be a perfectly acceptable sales figure - or even a massive hit - by the standards of an indie publisher or small press would be a catastrophic failure for Paizo.

Yeah, but as stated earlier, even if mcdonalds acting like mcdonalds is entirely rational, I'm still going to dunk on it for being mcdonalds.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Paolomania posted:

For my long running group I would have a special “Halloween Episode” each year where “forces beyond space and time would warp reality” and i’d have rolled up all their characters in a different system - FATE, DW, 13A, etc. It was a gentle but effective way to get them to try things outside of D20. Our next campaign’s GM decided to try running HeroQuest. This is my success story.

Hey this is a super good idea

Warthur
May 2, 2004

spectralent posted:

Yeah, but as stated earlier, even if mcdonalds acting like mcdonalds is entirely rational, I'm still going to dunk on it for being mcdonalds.
Call me eccentric on this point but this is the TG As An Industry thread, so I think it's entirely fair to discuss stuff from the point of view of what makes sense for publishers as commercial entities rather than what makes sense for game design as a white room activity. Because the latter is not about TG As An Industry so much as TG As A Craft, which are two different things.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I finished reading the old thread and this one:

or all the talk about D&D being viable as a brand, I'm less and less convinced that that is the case. D&D doesn't really bring anything to the table like other dead revived brands have done, since it just doesn't have that much unique things or recognizable characters. It probably doesn't help that of the fantasy worlds attached to D&D, the most generic ones get most of the attention. That's why I don't think that there's ever going to be a successful D&D movie.

Sure, something like Transformers got big all of a sudden but for every Transformers, there's a thousand brands that simply stay dead forever.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Kemper Boyd posted:

I finished reading the old thread and this one:

or all the talk about D&D being viable as a brand, I'm less and less convinced that that is the case. D&D doesn't really bring anything to the table like other dead revived brands have done, since it just doesn't have that much unique things or recognizable characters. It probably doesn't help that of the fantasy worlds attached to D&D, the most generic ones get most of the attention. That's why I don't think that there's ever going to be a successful D&D movie.

These are two separate things. D&D as a brand has a lot of strength--it's a recognizable part of the broader pop culture. If you say "tabletop role-playing games" to someone out of the know, you'll get a blank stare, but if you say "Dungeons and Dragons," most people will have an inkling of what you're talking about. Now, you can argue if its brand is a double-edged sword in that regard, but D&D is strong enough as a brand that it still acts as the gateway game to TT RPGs for most people.

When it comes to making a movie though, you're right that there's nothing there--not only are the generic D&D worlds the ones that get most of the attention, but the nature of the product does not lend itself well to a movie plot. D&D isn't a narrative, it's a rules framework with a lot of optional setting elements. So any D&D movie is likely to feel like a generic fantasy adventure film, just with beholders. And it's not like sword + sorcery fantasy films have ever seen a ton of success to begin with, outside of Conan and the LotR films.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't know if these have been there for a while and only just slipped through my adblocker or something but :laffo: DTRPG have some customer testimonials on the checkout screen now?

I'm sure unnamed customers have definitely said that about DTRPG, that sounds completely legitimate.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

remusclaw posted:

I dunno I've never had trouble getting people to play different games, but I'm usually the GM in whatever gaming group I play with. It probably also helps that most people I game with aren't hardcore lifetime D&D players with deep personal investment in the system.

I'm sure you'd have a similar problem getting a group that's ultra-deep into the Old World of Darkness setting and system to try out something else. Maybe it's a good reason to pull in new people who haven't sunk a lot of money and emotional energy into their library of wizard tomes?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lemon-Lime posted:

I don't know if these have been there for a while and only just slipped through my adblocker or something but :laffo: DTRPG have some customer testimonials on the checkout screen now?

I'm sure unnamed customers have definitely said that about DTRPG, that sounds completely legitimate.

I AM CONSUMING MORE MATERIALS FROM YOUR SERVICE

ALL PUBLISHERS SHOULD WANT THEIR MATERIALS CONSUMED FROM THIS SERVICE

(otoh, if anyone’s actually going to write like that it’s an rpg.pdf buyer)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Lemon-Lime posted:

It’s me, the person who was going to amazon to buy game books.

e: And didn’t use amazon for anything else.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

I got that the other day, on the checkout screen of all places. Because the best time to sell someone on your service is when they're in the middle of actually buying something.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's a really good way to make the customer panic and wonder if something's wrong and the site or their browser has been hijacked by something. Really enhances those boring steps midway through checking out and buying your elfgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

TheChirurgeon posted:

When it comes to making a movie though, you're right that there's nothing there--not only are the generic D&D worlds the ones that get most of the attention, but the nature of the product does not lend itself well to a movie plot. D&D isn't a narrative, it's a rules framework with a lot of optional setting elements. So any D&D movie is likely to feel like a generic fantasy adventure film, just with beholders. And it's not like sword + sorcery fantasy films have ever seen a ton of success to begin with, outside of Conan and the LotR films.

We are living in a timeline where GotG, with even less of a household name than D&D, made “generic party-based science fantasy” into a blockbuster franchise.