Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Johnny Truant posted:

I don't even remember Maggie having her baby when the gently caress did that happen

Also "infecting the optic nerve" ugghhhh. This "blind leading the blind" metaphor is so loving stupid. The doctor didn't search the loving house? The blind, incredibly sick pastor finds the exact medication that he needs? Jesus gently caress give me a break and I'm barely 15 minutes in

Edit: hahahaha hamfisted is: finding the next plot step in a literal piggy bank
I think there's a rule in writing where you are allowed to have a villain solve a problem through luck, but it's poor form to have the protagonist succeed through luck. This episode definitely was breaking the rule left and right. Also, it's dumb to have characters discuss fate and whether God is looking out for them when we as the viewers know that the writers can make anything happen arbitrarily. It just completely breaks any suspension of disbelief because I realize that I'm watching a contrived situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If the war ends in 4 episodes they have alot of really fun moments to cram into these episodes. With a big dumb battle taking up the last episode.

and they seem to already leading into the zombie blood poison subplot

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 12, 2018

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Doesn’t Negan’s grand plan have a massive hole in that it simply won’t work? Isn’t it that it’s not the blood but the bite?

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Blazing Ownager posted:

One of two ways:

1) Just watch Season 1. There's a lot of episodes that feel like lame episode of the week stuff but once the show is in gear, it changes a lot of them. There's one episode I hated and almost made me quit the show before the big shift in the last few episodes because I thought the characters were acting too dumb to live. After the reveal, said episode is actually 200% better because no, people weren't acting like idiots, they just had agendas.

2) Option B is to skip straight to the last 6 episodes of season 1. That is when Winter Soldier came out, and really, that's when the show immediately begins to improve. It's really great by season 3 though honestly it's consistently fun after the Winter Soldier shift to the status quo.

-

Your tolerance for cheesy episode-of-the-week action will determine if you should just watch the first season entirely or not. I will say that what seemed like no payoff or sappy team dynamics actually aren't what they seem at all, so there's definite reward for just watching it but it hardly represents the later quality of the show (in particular since several characters change SO MUCH from their introduction). The show gets really good by the 3rd season with some stellar action, and after that they go to the pod format which basically makes every season multiple mini-seasons with an overarching story.

I really like the pod format. I wish more shows used it. You get a brisk change of tone without things dragging out a whole season without shorter seasons. It's pretty win/win.

ED: Actually one other thing the show really excels at is character development. I felt like there was a lot of bland, redundant characters in season 1 but every single one of them evolves massively beyond their original starting point, and they're super consistent across every season. After WD's "musical chairs of personality" it's IMMENSELY refreshing.

ED: Also I can say without a doubt AoS is very good about 'JUST SHOOT HIM.' If the AoS team was in WD this Negan bullshit'd been over a long time ago. I can think of only a single "JUST SHOOT HIM" in the entire show's run, usually they start shooting when I am thinking that.

Thanks a ton for this.I'll just watch the whole thing. I'm also going to re-watch WS and Civil War, where should they "drop" into AoS seasons/eps?

oh, tonight's ep was trash. thanks for taking my call.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

dont even fink about it posted:

This all started with Rick and company killing like sixty saviors with zero casualties, and Negan responded not by slaughtering the lot of them, but by killing two of them.

I suspect none of the saviors were actually ever killed. Just shoddy camera work.

He literally has pulled enough people out of his leaning rear end to have a perimeter around a large area of virginia that cannot be snuck or fought through.

He went from like 6 people after Ricks attack, to Maggie/Jesus capturing 30 or so, to Ogg having a convoy, to Morgan and Carol soloing everyone at Kingdom, to unlimited people in a perpetual perimeter around Daryl. How many people does he have? As many as the horrible writers need from ep to ep.

And can someone please tell me what the gently caress a machine shop has to do with reloading ammo?

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 12, 2018

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ Why not a machine shop? It's not like they have the proper equipment to reload casings or forge bullets.
Also what the gently caress "Have the blind guy sort the shell casings" loving how? There isn't like just two rounds in existence that are completely different

Johnny Truant posted:

I don't even remember Maggie having her baby when the gently caress did that happen

Also "infecting the optic nerve" ugghhhh. This "blind leading the blind" metaphor is so loving stupid. The doctor didn't search the loving house? The blind, incredibly sick pastor finds the exact medication that he needs? Jesus gently caress give me a break and I'm barely 15 minutes in

Edit: hahahaha hamfisted is: finding the next plot step in a literal piggy bank

Not only that but those left over expired by years antibiotics cured his fever in hours or less.

Tenzarin posted:

You know what this show is missing..... car chases.

Cars and gas are scarce resources unless the plot demands them
Lol at doc dumbass and prayer man thinking that jeep would do anything but nothing

Tide posted:

Doesn’t Negan’s grand plan have a massive hole in that it simply won’t work? Isn’t it that it’s not the blood but the bite?

Shh, the plot demands, so the plan will work. Forget the zombie entrails camo we've all seen in the past. Hell Rick should be one diseased mofo given he blew that zombies brains out when it was on him and he took a face/mouth bath of zombie entrails
I mean if zombie guts are now disease inducing, why not just get a shitload of bows and arrows and dip the tips in zombie guys before arcing them into the masses?

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 12, 2018

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

SocketWrench posted:

Not only that but those left over expired by years antibiotics cured his fever in hours or less.

They'd lose some efficacy but other than that the antibiotics would be fine. Somehow finding a fully stocked house incredibly close to the Saviours though, like what the gently caress?

The whole prisoner dilemma thing at Hilltop is so loving dumb, as well. The only good bit of it was the long haired dude running away and sitting down in the fenced in area when Maggie comes over. Other than that it might be the most contrived dreams element yet.

And everybody's apparently okay with Enid just teleporting back there, without Aaron... when it took them a long car ride to get to ocean people? And... she didn't have a car?

Then showing Negan gathering the Saviours at the sanctuary and it's like fifty dudes. Really, AMC? couldn't even pay for a few more extras too, you know, highlight how many Saviours there are? :psyduck:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

warcrimes posted:

Thanks a ton for this.I'll just watch the whole thing. I'm also going to re-watch WS and Civil War, where should they "drop" into AoS seasons/eps?

It actually works real well to watch Winter Soldier right before the episode "Turn, turn, turn" at the end of the first season. There are other tie-ins that happen throughout the show - esp. right before Age of Ultron - but then it really finds it's own voice. Ironically, I'd say if you watch anything, it would be Guardians of the Galaxy, there's a lot of the galactic stuff that works its way into the show, like the Kree.

PS: Like all the rest, Daisy turns into a good character. You might find this impossible to believe for a while. Oh and to blow your mind, the actress that plays May started the show when she was 50. I'm not kidding.

SocketWrench posted:

Shh, the plot demands, so the plan will work. Forget the zombie entrails camo we've all seen in the past. Hell Rick should be one diseased mofo given he blew that zombies brains out when it was on him and he took a face/mouth bath of zombie entrails
I mean if zombie guts are now disease inducing, why not just get a shitload of bows and arrows and dip the tips in zombie guys before arcing them into the masses?

On Fear the Walking Dead people were getting high on zombie brain stems. We've seen people get zombie guts into their open mouths many times before. It makes no loving sense.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 12, 2018

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

how does the zombie blood poison even work within the world of the show? they're already all carrying the virus. they've covered themselves in zombie guts numerous times. is it just like, oh now wounds can get infected by zombie blood even though you already have the virus in you? like, i get you turn by getting bitten because gross zombie mouths infecting you and you die of sepsis or whatever. is it the same way with poison weapons? if so, i guess none of them had a scrape on them when covering themselves with the goo before :shrug:

edit: also i know the subplot is in the comics - did people have the same questions? did they ever address it?

big trivia FAIL fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 12, 2018

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Blazing Ownager posted:

On Fear the Walking Dead people were getting high on zombie brain stems. We've seen people get zombie guts into their open mouths many times before. It makes no loving sense.
Ah, exactly! I forgot that. They already broke the rules of their shared universe. So... I guess specifically the brain stem is free of infection? Maybe it was because they put it in brine?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

the way i dig it is they're corpses, rotting corpses nonetheless, so they're full of some pretty nasty bacteria. the zombie bite/scratch/gore covered whatever kills not via the zombie virus but just from a regular infection, sepsis.

but i mean this is the walking dead so it's probably tiny wizards terraforming your body into dookie

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Caught a couple minutes of Talking Dead. Cracked up when the one guest asked why all of those zombies were in the swamp in the first place, and the host and TWD woman just laughed and handwaved it off.

Have the producers ever been called out on the ridiculous highlander stuff?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Johnny Truant posted:

They'd lose some efficacy but other than that the antibiotics would be fine. Somehow finding a fully stocked house incredibly close to the Saviours though, like what the gently caress?

Yeah, but even at full strength they aren't wonder drugs. It takes some time, especially if you're malnourished. I wonder if they'll cap his eyes or if he's just gonna go back to being suicidal so Eugene has to put him down

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Why are years-old zombies bleeding fresh, uncoagulated blood?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

ex post facho posted:

Why isn't Maggie showing? :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Hasselblad posted:

so now that everyone auto-zombies a miscarriage becomes a much more dangerous affair... :monocle:
#epicmaggiedeath

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Hasselblad posted:

Isn't this just like, 4 days worth of time? Max 5. I don't know anymore this show is poo poo with how much time has passed. Like, what, 2 months since first meeting saviors? More?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Isn't this just like, 4 days worth of time? Max 5. I don't know anymore this show is poo poo with how much time has passed. Like, what, 2 months since first meeting saviors? More?

But she was already having pregnancy complications prior to Negan capturing them? Maybe 2 or more months before she was certain she was pregnant prior to that?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

holy poo poo, this editing lmao

please tell me that didn't actually air

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Koalas March posted:

holy poo poo, this editing lmao

please tell me that didn't actually air

Even better. After having climbed to the top of the trash, they couldn't figure out how to get out.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
if anything I cut some of the reaction shot out because it was too long already

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Wait why didn't that poo poo fall on Simon and Gang

Jadis intentionally set it up after Simon killed all her people?

Time to keep the riff raff out, don't want him to kill all of my people ever again

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Did the comic do a better job of giving a sense of the relative magnitudes of the opposing armies? Nothing that had happened this season has any weight, because when 20 people get gunned down I don't know if that is 1% or 10%.

Hell, it's been several seasons and I still don't know if Alexandria is a community of 30 or 300.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

if anything I cut some of the reaction shot out because it was too long already

I know Maggie's leaving, cause her new pilot got picked up but holy poo poo Danai also deserves better.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Koalas March posted:

I know Maggie's leaving, cause her new pilot got picked up but holy poo poo Danai also deserves better.

The only one in this show deserving of better is McBride .

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 12, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bucswabe posted:

Did the comic do a better job of giving a sense of the relative magnitudes of the opposing armies? Nothing that had happened this season has any weight, because when 20 people get gunned down I don't know if that is 1% or 10%.

Yes. Kinda. The “war” was about a dozen issues long and only a number of actual “battles” so you don’t get this fatigue of endless fights where a ton of people die and tons more keep popping up.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

The only one in this show deserving of better is McBride .

I guess someone didn't see Black Panther.

General Okoye is the poo poo, and Danai being so charming while kicking rear end is a big part of that.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
What is with this show and having really stupid drawn out scenes at hilltop?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

What is with this show and having really stupid drawn out scenes at hilltop?

The writers know anything about tone, tension, or setting up proper A & B stories that gel with the seasons overarching plot. They also don't seem to understand properly setting up and executing an overarching plot. It seems like they have no idea what kind of climaxes, resolutions and character development is actually satisfying as a viewer.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/rj4iwup.gifv

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Koalas March posted:

The writers know anything about tone, tension, or setting up proper A & B stories that gel with the seasons overarching plot. They also don't seem to understand properly setting up and executing an overarching plot. It seems like they have no idea what kind of climaxes, resolutions and character development is actually satisfying as a viewer.

Historically the show tries to drown you in pathos, creating the most draining, unfun soap opera in the history of mankind. Nothing ever is really resolved except with an ever-growing cloud of death and misery.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

ex post facho posted:

I feel like this is an issue the show was always going to have given it's so self-serious and things have taken place over the course of several years. Like it begs all of these questions: how are zombies still ambulatory after years of rotting in the hot sun, why haven't their brains rotted completely, how can they still see or sense anything, why do they even need to eat people at all if the only thing they really die of is getting their heads caved in, etc.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Thompsons posted:

I feel like this is an issue the show was always going to have given it's so self-serious and things have taken place over the course of several years. Like it begs all of these questions: how are zombies still ambulatory after years of rotting in the hot sun, why haven't their brains rotted completely, how can they still see or sense anything, why do they even need to eat people at all if the only thing they really die of is getting their heads caved in, etc.

This reminds me of a plot point mentioned way back in an early season (before the prison arc, I believe) about how they wanted to see how the zombies reacted to the cold and winter but then like the next season started after winter was over and it was never mentioned again.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Needs a deer.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Thompsons posted:

As they are clinically dead they are already effectively magical when they do anything at all. And IIRC the entire thing is a radiological phenomenon, back from the first season when this show looked like it might ever go anywhere. It's not a disease or virus--if you die of anything you become a zombie. In that sense, zombie bites being infectious doesn't make any sense, either. Viral catalysts in their saliva? Clearly whatever conspiracy that came up with this poo poo didn't care to be straightforward with how it was all supposed to work.

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
That episode was some b-movie hot piss, but hopefully some of the worst offenders like Tara and Gabriel are done for the season now.

If I had to sum that one up in a gif it would just be Gabriel crying like a baby in the back of that pickup after old doctor shot himself, or got shot, who knows.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Koalas March posted:

I guess someone didn't see Black Panther.

General Okoye is the poo poo, and Danai being so charming while kicking rear end is a big part of that.

Looks like John Wick, but with a spear.
She may be charming but how are her baking skills?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Thompsons posted:

I would add to that:
- Zombie bites create zombies, zombies eat humans, yet very few zombies appear to have been eaten?
- They do not eat other zombies, but everyone is already infected?
Sorry, WALKERS.

They should end the series with them realizing that zombie blood when given to via transfusion, makes you immortal without turning.
God Emperor Rick Grimes

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 12, 2018

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/3rpmdeO.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
I caved and watched an episode, and it was just as bad as I knew it would be.

The guy walks intro a beartrap, screams in agony and immediately 6 or so zombies jump out of the bush, and somehow, magically, he is fighting them off. Even more magically the gun teleports to gabriels feet (did it get thrown out of the guys hand? I missed it if it did) and he makes the perfect blindfolded noscope360. It is so amazing in fact that the doctor doesn't care about the pain or the other 3 zombies lurking about anymore and is just laughing.

I can't say I would know what your vision would be like with whatever infection that is supposed to be but I doubt it looks like a piece of folded brown paper around the camera lens.

The rest of the episode was such uninteresting nonsense that I can't remember what, if anything, happened even though I just saw it 15 minutes ago. I guess there was some tough moral choice of "Do we let the prisoners exercise or not? Hmm... We have no food but I think we should..."

Thumbs up.