Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

I guess I don't understand how to get it into the ribbed parts without making the area around it look like rear end. The really diluted purple I put in there trying to wash it into the cracks ends up drying funny where the outer edge of the area that got anything put onto it (like what would be the edge of the 'drop' if it was on a flat surface) seems to dry funny and leave a ring of more intense shading on the outer edge than the deeper parts of the cracks. It's almost the exact opposite of what I want it to look like and quite terrible. So you just put straight paint into all those nooks and crannies?

Using medium instead of water to dilute helps this. I've heard that some people also use a very tiny amount of dish soap to help break the surface tension as well, but I've not tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Bad Munki posted:

I’ve been wanting to paint this dude for a while so tonight I finally decided to just knock him out. I’m trying to focus more on just getting guys done than making them perfect, I think that’s been blocking me from even bothering to paint for a while, so the goal was just “get it done.” Even so, I’m pretty happy with how he turned out.

I think it might be fun some time in the future to put some tufts of grass on him, but for now I’m calling him done enough.
Very well done.

This is one of my all time favorite minis to paint, there's so much character and there's so much you can do with simple techniques to make him look great.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Aniodia posted:

Reposting this because it's been a week, and I suck so bad at making a choice here that I'm hitting some analysis paralysis, which leads to not getting the rest of the ridiculous backlog painted up. Unfortunately, I'm also pretty terrible when it comes to using stuff like GIMP to mock up a design, so I can't really even go that route. All I'm really asking for is someone with a better eye for color composition to give me a foot in the rear end in the right direction.

I'd love to help - I enjoy giving colour composition advice - but the photo is sufficiently bad quality I legit can't make out enough detail to offer good advice.

Post a higher quality photo and I'll see what I can do!

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Mikey Purp posted:

Super cool, what model is that?

Reaper Minis Large Earth Elemental - https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/stone%20elemental/latest/77185

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Workspace organisation is a thing that comes up every now and then. Because we're all massive nerds that can't stop buying hobby poo poo it can often just pile up. I came across a company that makes specialized furniture for sewing/arts and crafts type of stuff, which of course also fits nicely into our hobby niche

have a youtube video of their flagship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRisNZfdsLs

their website is at https://theoriginalscrapbox.co.uk/ or .com for you american types. I really really want one!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thanks, I actually had no idea except “it came from one of the bones boxes” :haw:

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bad Munki posted:

I’ve been wanting to paint this dude for a while so tonight I finally decided to just knock him out. I’m trying to focus more on just getting guys done than making them perfect, I think that’s been blocking me from even bothering to paint for a while, so the goal was just “get it done.” Even so, I’m pretty happy with how he turned out.

I had the same epiphany last month. I was frustrated with some shadespire minis not coming out the way I wanted so I started working on some Death Guard I had lying around neglected and suddenly I was having loads of fun.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Any recommendations for a filter mask to use when airbrushing acrylics? I’ve got one I bought years ago when doing some home remodeling stuff and working with nasty adhesives, but it’s uncomfortable, needs new filters and is probably overkill for airbrushing.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z4EB/

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Bucnasti posted:

[Amazing post on thinning]

This is tangentially related, but what is your preference for cleaning your airbrush? I have been using off the self airbrush cleaner but I am nearly out and would be interested to hear if there are 'better' alternatives before I buy any more.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Felime posted:

Using medium instead of water to dilute helps this. I've heard that some people also use a very tiny amount of dish soap to help break the surface tension as well, but I've not tried it.

That sounds like a perfect solution and I'll have to give it a try. Is something like this what you're talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Liquitex-562...=acrylic+medium

Says acrylic flow aid medium and I don't completely understand all the sciency bits and terminology behind paints yet.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

R0ckfish posted:

This is tangentially related, but what is your preference for cleaning your airbrush? I have been using off the self airbrush cleaner but I am nearly out and would be interested to hear if there are 'better' alternatives before I buy any more.

The same isopropyl alcohol I mix with water to make thinner.

Get yourself some of these things:

Squeeze Bottle

Fill one with pure water (filtered is ok, distilled is better), one with isopropyl alcohol (91% is best but 70% will do) and one with a mix of 9:1 water/alcohol.

Use the mix for thinning your paint, use the water for flushing the paint out of your airbrush when changing colors and the alcohol to clean it after use.

Don't use a stiff brush or one of those reamers that they sell for cleaning your brush, those will damage the inside of your brush and cause premature wear. Instead use a Qtip or a Micro applicator brush.

I learned all this from CK studios intro Airbrushing class at LVO this year. He recently made a video demoing a lot of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6ccZA1XXxE Unfortunately some of it's hard to see in the video.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Thanqol posted:

I'd love to help - I enjoy giving colour composition advice - but the photo is sufficiently bad quality I legit can't make out enough detail to offer good advice.

Post a higher quality photo and I'll see what I can do!

I appreciate it, however the only cameras I have are on my 1phone 4 (which that picture was taken with) and my 3ds, which is even more potato-quality. I did try to take a better picture, throwing paper over the lamp I use and dropping a flipped playmat over the workbench, but it just seems that the light I have is a little too strong for adequate photos.

If it helps, the purple is GW Naggaroth Night, the red is P3 Sanguine Base, blue is GW Sotek Green, the flesh P3 Ryn Flesh, the leather belt VGA Leather Brown, and the staff is GW Karak Stone. No washes, no highlights, just two thin coats of each.

I will say a friend of mine suggested going with a gold, as darker metals would just get lost in the whole thing, while a brighter metal would stand out.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Gold seems like a good idea because a yellow/orange is an obvious complimentary color to the more dominant purple and blue. If you're saying the belt and shoes are brown, they are coming across as yellow in the pictures, so I'd knock those way down in terms of brightness; Make a nice uniform dark piece with the brighter gold baubles to contrast.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Frobbe posted:

Workspace organisation is a thing that comes up every now and then. Because we're all massive nerds that can't stop buying hobby poo poo it can often just pile up. I came across a company that makes specialized furniture for sewing/arts and crafts type of stuff, which of course also fits nicely into our hobby niche

have a youtube video of their flagship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRisNZfdsLs

their website is at https://theoriginalscrapbox.co.uk/ or .com for you american types. I really really want one!

:syoon:

That is ridiculously cool, seems like it would take a while to put together. Also, $2,455.35 :stare:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I painted another Night Lord guy. He's supposed to be Kheron Ophion: a guy in HH who doesn't have a model.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

He looks super cool! That's by far some of the best lightning work I've seen. Real nice osl on the axe too. Is that a custom backpack too?

Nice work all around.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Aniodia posted:

I appreciate it, however the only cameras I have are on my 1phone 4 (which that picture was taken with) and my 3ds, which is even more potato-quality. I did try to take a better picture, throwing paper over the lamp I use and dropping a flipped playmat over the workbench, but it just seems that the light I have is a little too strong for adequate photos.

If it helps, the purple is GW Naggaroth Night, the red is P3 Sanguine Base, blue is GW Sotek Green, the flesh P3 Ryn Flesh, the leather belt VGA Leather Brown, and the staff is GW Karak Stone. No washes, no highlights, just two thin coats of each.

I will say a friend of mine suggested going with a gold, as darker metals would just get lost in the whole thing, while a brighter metal would stand out.

Cool, the picture is still pretty unintelligble, but I can mention that Sycorax Bronze actually works pretty well with bluegreens and purples. I'm doing something similar with my Alpha Legion where I'm using leadbelcher for main metallics and sycorax for detail metallics.

Consider trying sycorax bronze on stuff like those gemstone-bumps, small trinkets etc, and go with a more regular silver for the main metallics. I think a warm gold would be a bit too dominating; it's a whole extra color. Silver is similar to white and black in that it's a 'free' colour you can add to anything without cluttering it IMO.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Is this instead of a booth or combination? Could you spray inside with this without a booth?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

Is this instead of a booth or combination? Could you spray inside with this without a booth?

Sure, but it won't stop paint from going places (other than into your lungs)

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

He looks super cool! That's by far some of the best lightning work I've seen. Real nice osl on the axe too. Is that a custom backpack too?

Nice work all around.

Thanks bud. The backpack is standard Mk3

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Victory Lap!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

5 Hellblasters done. 26:44 total time spent, including a couple hours spent figuring out the plasma coils and red glow. Overall I'm pretty pleased.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

I loving love your army so hard. That color scheme is total eye-sex.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hixson posted:

I painted another Night Lord guy. He's supposed to be Kheron Ophion: a guy in HH who doesn't have a model.

So much attitude in this guy. My favorite part is that pistol. You don't see those khorne bits used often, but it has this brutalist feel that just oozes Night Lords

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But where's his shield?!?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bad Munki posted:

Okay, then what about reaper’s “liner” line of paints? Wtf is even going on there? Because they sell washes as a separate thing like everyone else.

e: Sounds like maybe they’re just washes/inks, but more opaque/intense and maybe formulated to more aggressively hug recesses? I dunno.

Reaper's Liners are extremely dark paints packed with extra flow improver, designed to be able to draw thin lines and/or paint directly into recesses and between panel lines and things like that. You aren't meant to wash them over the surface, you're meant to use them to, well, line things. They work great, btw. I have and use all three with regularity.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
So it's like an acrylic paint created for pin washing. Pretty cool

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 12, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
How does it compare to a traditional ink?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Future floor finish will turn just about any ink into a pretty good panel liner.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

So much attitude in this guy. My favorite part is that pistol. You don't see those khorne bits used often, but it has this brutalist feel that just oozes Night Lords

This looks great. So, with Night Lords - is the lightning supposed to be painted on in actuality, or does their armor crackle with energy?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Zuul the Cat posted:

This looks great. So, with Night Lords - is the lightning supposed to be painted on in actuality, or does their armor crackle with energy?

Holographic projection, IIRC

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I've always loved this Chaplain mini, and I happened to see him at my FLGS. I'll probably never use him but he looks cool. Also the flag halving is a little crooked, which means the decal is too, but I wasn't going to repaint it after I got the transfer on.

For when I want to run my Neophytes as Scout squads with various equipment, plus more chumps with basic gear.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Sexy Black Templars

This is seriously one of the coolest looking Black Templars Armies I’ve seen, and I hope to play against you at some point at a con.

The flames on the guns is just aces.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Edit: wrong thread

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 13, 2018

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Not so much a painting technique, but I was going through my paints for the first time in like 3-4 years (I've been busy) and found that a lot of them had separated, particularly my old-rear end Vallejo Game Colors that were some of the first paints I ever bought, circa 2010. Instead of just replacing everything altogether, I picked up one of those cheap ultrasonic cleaners that you can get off amazon for like 30 bucks and started chucking paints in.

The paints take 2-3 8 minute sessions in the cleaner depending on how separated they are, but now everything looks like the day I bought it. I had a bottle of Bloody Red that was basically just medium no matter how hard I shook it with my hands, but now it's perfect straight out of the bottle.

Highly recommended if you have more than a handful of old paint you'd like to keep using, especially if they're in good dropper style bottles so they're not dried out.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

X-post from the good thread

Hixson posted:

4 more bois for the pile

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Not so much a painting technique, but I was going through my paints for the first time in like 3-4 years (I've been busy) and found that a lot of them had separated, particularly my old-rear end Vallejo Game Colors that were some of the first paints I ever bought, circa 2010. Instead of just replacing everything altogether, I picked up one of those cheap ultrasonic cleaners that you can get off amazon for like 30 bucks and started chucking paints in.

The paints take 2-3 8 minute sessions in the cleaner depending on how separated they are, but now everything looks like the day I bought it. I had a bottle of Bloody Red that was basically just medium no matter how hard I shook it with my hands, but now it's perfect straight out of the bottle.

Highly recommended if you have more than a handful of old paint you'd like to keep using, especially if they're in good dropper style bottles so they're not dried out.

I hadn't considered using the cleaner as a mixer. That's brilliant. They work really well for cleaning airbrushes.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I assume you don't put any water in there? And how does the label on the bottle hold up after being in the cleaner?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Basically you just need something that can shake paints harder than is possible by hand (and that doesn't get tired or sore over time, either). I've seen videos of people using a jigsaw, with the blade replaced by one of those trigger-adjustable clamps to hold the paint bottle, which proceeds to just mix the hell outta the paints when it's fired up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Basically you just need something that can shake paints harder than is possible by hand (and that doesn't get tired or sore over time, either). I've seen videos of people using a jigsaw, with the blade replaced by one of those trigger-adjustable clamps to hold the paint bottle, which proceeds to just mix the hell outta the paints when it's fired up.

That's what I use, although it turns out the model of jigsaw I have has a mounting assembly too small and fiddly to fit a clamp. My solution was to wrap tape around the jigsaw blade, and then just tape a bottle to the taped blade whenever I need to shake it. It's annoying, but it works.