Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

D C posted:

You're not a real beer league player unless you've strained your back pulling your bag out of the car at the rink.

Just did that right before our first game for the tournament today.

Speaking of which this is how you do a tournament

It's a portable kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

prom candy posted:

Thanks for the workout advice guys, I'm going to try to throw some stuff together for a combo of bodyweight and dumbbell/medicine ball/kettlebell exercises. I already have a pull up bar and plenty of space in my basement so I can put together some 20-30 minute mix of exercises and ripping shots at the mattress I have leaning against the wall.

Is the pull-up bar mounted to the wall studs or one of those "ultimate gym" or some other doorframe mount?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Habibi posted:

Is the pull-up bar mounted to the wall studs or one of those "ultimate gym" or some other doorframe mount?

Screwed into a wooden door frame, why?

I decided to film myself taking some shots in the basement and it actually turns out my form is pretty terrible. Not enough snap from the top hand and it really falls apart when I drag the puck back. So I have a lot to work on!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Put together a shooting / passing board today. 2'x4' 3/4" finished mdf, two bolts impacted on one side and a bungie cord strapped between. Pledge applied liberally across the surface.

Simulates the puck on ice pretty well. The pass bungie can take a pretty large amount of force, but the small mat means my reactions have to be near instantaneous.

The bolts can be removed and the board can be used for taking shots. The board should hold up, 3/4" mdf can take a beating.

Hopefully getting a bunch of stick-on-puck time in my garage will make better use of my actual ice time. For $30 if it doesn't work out I'm not going to be too upset.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can buy huge chunks of netting from a dude on amazon, it's 25'x12' for like $30 or so. Search for sports hockey nets or something like that, it'll be some vendor that's based in Florida.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

D C posted:

You're not a real beer league player unless you've strained your back pulling your bag out of the car at the rink.

I did it once literally just standing up from the bench to start a D shift.

Also did it once a couple years back just getting into my car to go to work

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Duke Chin posted:

This used to happen to me a lot if I did any weight lifting above my head. I would be perfectly fine for a while, but would then do something totally normal like turn a steering wheel or reach for a glass of water and tweak my back.

Now I make sure I stretch the hell out of my back and core and make sure I'm not putting pressure on my spine when I lift anything above my head. The occurrences of pulling my back muscles has dropped to nearly zero.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Boy I made a beauty of a stretch pass out to the wing last night... that was about 5 feet too far forward and led to an icing.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
both of the stupid knee caps cracked on my shinguards i love, which i didn't think would matter much but in my inevitable falls the last couple of games that poo poo hurts.

is there a cost effective way to patch these things or do i have to buy new ones? i really hate buying new gear

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can weld plastic with a soldering iron in a pinch, but you'll probably need some donor plastic to feed into it because if you just heat it up and mash the crack closed you'll probably end up with a horribly warped mess. Google around if you think you want to try.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

xzzy posted:

You can weld plastic with a soldering iron in a pinch, but you'll probably need some donor plastic to feed into it because if you just heat it up and mash the crack closed you'll probably end up with a horribly warped mess. Google around if you think you want to try.

I could instantly smell burnt plastic when I read this post. Holy poo poo, would not try.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well yeah, do it outside with a box fan pointed at your work area.

But plastic welding is in fact a thing people do!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
If your shinguards are broken just go buy new ones. You might try to fix it but unless you really know what you're doing and use the right plastic, its likely to not be nearly as strong and the next time you fall directly onto you knee its really going to hurt. I played with the same set of shinguards for a long time, fell and cracked the knee. It hurt but I kept playing with them. I fell on the same knee after that and it hurt much worse. Almost as if there as no padding/protection at all. Moving my knee hurt pretty bad for about a week.

Don't be a poor, just buy new ones. One of the manufacturers likely makes one you will like. The correct answer is always Jofa/Reebok though so RIP good shinguards. Apparently CCM? is the closest if I remember correctly.

Verman fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 12, 2018

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

You can try using some epoxy mender like this https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Plastic-0-85-Fluid-Syringe-1363118/dp/B0044FBB8C

Only a few bucks, so it's worth a try.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Go on OfferUp and buy used. Old shinguards are better than broken shinguards. There are always players upgrading their gear and ditching the old at massive discounts.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Since I broke my hand and know that I'm going to be out for a month or two I washed all my jerseys, socks, and the insoles of my skates. I scrubbed the inside and outside of my helmet and all my pads and let everything dry outside in the sun. My gear should smell great for 1-2 games next season.

My teammate asked me if I still wanted to ride with him to the game so I went and stood behind the bench telling them everything they were doing wrong. They won 6-3 despite being outshot 43-21. I would like to think I contributed to that.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

D C posted:

And you're not a professional beer league player unless you've strained your back pulling out the full 50+ beer cooler from your car. I have seen this happen.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

don’t worry shin guard search is over I found him some

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

sellouts posted:

don’t worry shin guard search is over I found him some

Sweet sellouts, noted hockey gear concierge. Finding pants for large sons and vintage shin guards for ringers. What would we do without you

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
When playing on a small team for scrimmages, what's the polite way to tell your teammates "holy gently caress I'm so tired I can barely keep my skates under me, let's slow it down a bit"

goddamn I've got some endurance work to do

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just start gliding more, they'll figure it out.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Duke Chin posted:

The worst I ever had was from rolling over in a fancy hotel bed. It happened at like 3am and I laid awkwardly in pain until I had to fall out of bed to work at 7am.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My boss tore her rotator cuff scratching her back.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Doesn't count unless you throw out your back eating pancakes.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody playing in the Nashville Draft Tournament on the weekend of April 6th? I just got asked to confirm if I'm still planning on goaltending.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

prom candy posted:

Screwed into a wooden door frame, why?

I decided to film myself taking some shots in the basement and it actually turns out my form is pretty terrible. Not enough snap from the top hand and it really falls apart when I drag the puck back. So I have a lot to work on!

Because a solidly mounted pull-up bar makes a great TRX anchor. :)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Verman posted:

My boss tore her rotator cuff scratching her back.

Did she like...launch her arm at the scratch in a "no going back" sort of way or something? Can't understand how that happens.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Habibi posted:

Did she like...launch her arm at the scratch in a "no going back" sort of way or something? Can't understand how that happens.

It was one of the scratches where her elbow was up in the air and her hand was behind her head. Her doctor said there must have already been damage because it was pretty bad when she had surgery. She's also insanely accident prone, and is the person who every possible side effect/complication of a surgery will happen to. She used to ride horses so she says she's damaged her shoulders quite a bit in the past.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Vargatron posted:

Anybody playing in the Nashville Draft Tournament on the weekend of April 6th? I just got asked to confirm if I'm still planning on goaltending.

I wish I was able to do a Draft Tournament this year but I've heard Nashville is a ton of fun. Boston was a blast last year but need to save up money and time off for upcoming baby.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

calandryll posted:

I wish I was able to do a Draft Tournament this year but I've heard Nashville is a ton of fun. Boston was a blast last year but need to save up money and time off for upcoming baby.

Congrats on the baby! This is my first tournament but I'm going with about 6 other dudes from the league here. We're gonna scrub it up.

Verman posted:

It was one of the scratches where her elbow was up in the air and her hand was behind her head. Her doctor said there must have already been damage because it was pretty bad when she had surgery. She's also insanely accident prone, and is the person who every possible side effect/complication of a surgery will happen to. She used to ride horses so she says she's damaged her shoulders quite a bit in the past.

Horses will indeed gently caress you up.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Vargatron posted:

Hah, I live here but first I've heard of it. I'll be at the NSH-CBJ game though. Centennial rink is kind of a dump but it's a 100% more interesting part of town to stay in than the other rink.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

xzzy posted:

Just start gliding more, they'll figure it out.

In this particular instance it was 2v2 so while the other guy knew i was totally gassed, he couldn't get very far on his own.

Definitely some solid practice though. Worked on a lot of agility to get close but stay open around two guys, worked a ton on passing, worked positioning on defense to keep a guy much more skilled than I from getting right around.

Just wish I wouldn't die fifteen minutes in and skate like a zombie after. I think the other three guys got the picture when I caught an edge transitioning to backwards and fell on my rear end.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Vargatron posted:

Congrats on the baby! This is my first tournament but I'm going with about 6 other dudes from the league here. We're gonna scrub it up.

Thanks. If you aren't aware, each round after goalies choose who is going to be on their team, you chug a beer to see order of selection for the next round. It had been awhile since I chugged so I was a bit out of practice.

I think I posted these last time. But my team took the top spot. It was a blast and be prepared to drink a bunch.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Habibi posted:

Because a solidly mounted pull-up bar makes a great TRX anchor. :)

Whoa, never heard of this before, looks pretty versatile. And yeah it's well mounted, I only weigh like 140 but I've had friends in the 220-230 range hang off it no problem.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

prom candy posted:

Whoa, never heard of this before, looks pretty versatile. And yeah it's well mounted, I only weigh like 140 but I've had friends in the 220-230 range hang off it no problem.

I've been a big proponent ever since it helped me rehab a separated shoulder several years back, and have mentioned it a few times throughout this latest fitness discussion. It's super versatile, requires no additional weights to generate serious resistance, works out your core on virtually every exercise, and does a superb job of engaging all of the small muscle groups due to the inherent instability of a suspension trainer (see: rings). Prices seem to have gone up a bit from when I got mine, but you can still find a good set in the $50-100 range, which is likely no more than you spend on any single piece of your hockey gear.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Lost in the first round of the playoffs last night. We outshot them 55-24 and lost 0-1. Not sure if there's much that's more frustrating than peppering a goalie with 55 shots and getting nothing.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Take better shots.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or maybe have someone head to the net once in a while looking for rebounds.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pleads posted:

Take better shots.

I can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
1-0 is a pretty tight game in terms of beer league, regardless of the shot total.