Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Concrete powder in a fluid transposer (plus water) will produce concrete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I... I want to try to break it

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

I'm playing on a FTB Infinity Evolved server, and I'm having an issue where I can't place the giant blocks from the twilight in the over-world, they place just fine in the twilight though. Anybody know what could be causing this? I know it works in single-player.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

it shriveled up posted:

I'm playing on a FTB Infinity Evolved server, and I'm having an issue where I can't place the giant blocks from the twilight in the over-world, they place just fine in the twilight though. Anybody know what could be causing this? I know it works in single-player.

Considering you can't break those blocks without a giant pickaxe, it's probably an anti-griefing measure. ...unless player-placed giant blocks don't have that problem? Might be an ill-informed anti-griefing measure in that case.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Are there any modpacks for 1.12 that approach the level of "fun" I experienced in infinity evolved expert mode? The scale of that pack was great and I'm wondering if I can recreate that with more current mods.

Alternatively will FTB (or whomever made that pack) be updating infinity?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
They've had a 1.12 expert pack in beta testing for awhile. So... soon, in theory? It's been like a month since I last heard an update on that.

If you really want to play a 1.12 expert style at the moment, Modern Skyblock 2 or Crimson Skies are probably the big ones. Rise of the Pack bills itself as expert style, but I found it to be pretty light fare.

Forever Stranded Lost Souls (the theme is you start in the Nether instead of the overworld) is also pretty challenging, but that tilts more toward the combat heavy hardcore survival end of the spectrum.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 12, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

In terms of skyblock challenge modpacks, Modern Skyblock 2 and Modern Skyblock 3 are the primary ones. Both have tons of quests, and can be grindy as hell, if you're into that. Instead of Ex Nihilo, they both use a new skyblock resources mod called Sky Resources. I like it quite a bit more than Ex Nihilo, but that might just be due to being tired of Ex Nihilo packs.

Modern Skyblock 2 uses recipe changes to enforce progression. It has several modes, including a gonad-grating expert mode.

Modern Skyblock 3 has a mod that lets it selectively enable and disable crafting recipes via the quest book, which means while all the items in the pack have their normal crafting recipes, you have to make progress via the quest book to unlock them.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Toadsmash posted:

They've had a 1.12 expert pack in beta testing for awhile. So... soon, in theory? It's been like a month since I last heard an update on that.

If you really want to play a 1.12 expert style at the moment, Modern Skyblock 2 or Crimson Skies are probably the big ones. Rise of the Pack bills itself as expert style, but I found it to be pretty light fare.

Forever Stranded Lost Souls (the theme is you start in the Nether instead of the overworld) is also pretty challenging, but that tilts more toward the combat heavy hardcore survival end of the spectrum.

I played Forever Stranded Lost Souls for about thirty seconds, hit some turbocharged godmob from the Diablo-style mobs mod the moment I left my shuttle, that then decided it was going to camp the immediate exterior of my shuttle indefinitely. Kinda killed my interest right quick.

E: lol I went digging through my post history to find the name of a pack (Craft of the Titans) that I had fun with for a while and found some sagely advice from past-me to present-me:

Magres posted:

1) Remove Infernal Mobs. It is possibly the worst mod ever made for minecraft and I have yet to see a pack that was not infinitely worse for its inclusion.

Might have to give Forever Stranded Lost Souls another go, minus Infernal Mobs, if that doesn't crash the modpack.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 12, 2018

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

infernal mobs is loving awful and like some sort of malignant growth that keeps blooming inside of otherwise decent modpacks

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Yeah, I played some MSB2, and it wasn't challenging in the way I'm looking for. It mostly felt like grind for its own sake.

Nor do I find combat to be very much fun, so combat-themed packs are probably out. Vanilla terraria blows away pretty much any minecraft mod I've looked at in terms of combat presenting interesting challenges

Toadsmash posted:

This is good news though! I didn't know it was on the table at all

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Hooplah posted:

Yeah, I played some MSB2, and it wasn't challenging in the way I'm looking for. It mostly felt like grind for its own sake.

Nor do I find combat to be very much fun, so combat-themed packs are probably out. Vanilla terraria blows away pretty much any minecraft mod I've looked at in terms of combat presenting interesting challenges

This is good news though! I didn't know it was on the table at all

Have you done Blightfall? Still probably my favorite pack ever made, and one of the only ones I've played that I really felt like had significant shifts in the gameplay and how you interact with the world. Transitioning from stuck inside your bubble, to lightly expanding your territory but mostly playing defense, to exploring the world, to cleansing the world is such a satisfying series of changes. Getting my first Ethereal Blooms, my first cleansing wand focus, my first dawn totem, and my first dawn machine were all fairly major changes in how I interacted with the world and it's great.

I haven't heard anything about Blightfall 2 in a long time, so I'm guessing it's dead, but I still hold out hope for it because of how loving great Blightfall 1 is.

Johnny Joestar posted:

infernal mobs is loving awful and like some sort of malignant growth that keeps blooming inside of otherwise decent modpacks

Yup. I won't play anything with Infernal Mobs in it because the probability of having some ridiculous Teleporting Regenerating Blinding Choking Poisoning Stealing Withering Thorns piece of poo poo spawn and follow you home approaches 1 the longer you play, and once it happens you may as well just spin up a new world.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 12, 2018

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Infernal Mobs is very configurable and would be perfectly fine in most packs with the insanity tweaked down a good bit with the more obnoxious modifiers outright disabled, which the config does allow you to do. Problem is pack authors seem to regard unwinnable fights and deaths where you have no idea what even hit you half the time as a virtue and not an utter failure of design.

The problem isn't the mod. It's an awesome idea. It's how authors choose to use it. You can modify it into a version that's not insane and actually adds a neat little twist to a pack in less than five minutes.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

Infernal Mobs is very configurable and would be perfectly fine in most packs with the insanity tweaked down a good bit with the more obnoxious modifiers outright disabled, which the config does allow you to do. Problem is pack authors seem to regard unwinnable fights and deaths where you have no idea what even hit you half the time as a virtue and not an utter failure of design.

The problem isn't the mod. It's an awesome idea. It's how authors choose to use it. You can modify it into a version that's not insane and actually adds a neat little twist to a pack in less than five minutes.

It's also a failure of the mod author. What you see in the majority of packs is the default setting, which most players (and even pack makers) will consider ground truth to not be modified unless something is broken.

It's probably because some youtubers death to a ridiculous infernal mob gets a lot of views.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Magres posted:

Have you done Blightfall? Still probably my favorite pack ever made, and one of the only ones I've played that I really felt like had significant shifts in the gameplay and how you interact with the world. Transitioning from stuck inside your bubble, to lightly expanding your territory but mostly playing defense, to exploring the world, to cleansing the world is such a satisfying series of changes. Getting my first Ethereal Blooms, my first cleansing wand focus, my first dawn totem, and my first dawn machine were all fairly major changes in how I interacted with the world and it's great.

I haven't heard anything about Blightfall 2 in a long time, so I'm guessing it's dead, but I still hold out hope for it because of how loving great Blightfall 1 is.

Yup. I won't play anything with Infernal Mobs in it because the probability of having some ridiculous Teleporting Regenerating Blinding Choking Poisoning Stealing Withering Thorns piece of poo poo spawn and follow you home approaches 1 the longer you play, and once it happens you may as well just spin up a new world.

Yeah, blightfall's amazing. I haven't ever gotten terribly far into it, but part of the reason I don't want to go back to blightfall or IE is the idea of going through the basics of each of the big 1.7.10 mods for the millionth time. Hence asking for 1.12 stuff.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Infernal Mobs makes combat infuriatingly difficult until you reach a certain point; then it just becomes extremely irritating when you have to clear out a mob with quad health, regen and an extra life.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

MaliciousOnion posted:

Infernal Mobs makes combat infuriatingly difficult until you reach a certain point; then it just becomes extremely irritating when you have to clear out a mob with quad health, regen and an extra life.

The rewards you get for killing them are often poo poo as well. For the hour it takes to kill the thing it should at the very least reward you with a nether star or a diamond block.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Toadsmash posted:

If it wouldn't be a huge pain, would you be willing to post the text for config file (or a pastebin of one) that makes Infernal Mobs not awful garbage? I haven't regularly played around with config files in a couple years.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magres posted:

If it wouldn't be a huge pain, would you be willing to post the text for config file (or a pastebin of one) that makes Infernal Mobs not awful garbage? I haven't regularly played around with config files in a couple years.

Here is the Baby's First Space Race one for 1.7.10:
https://github.com/rockobonaparte/bfsr/blob/master/config/InfernalMobs.cfg

This is topical since I wondered if the all has changed in 1.12.2. I would like something that generates more infernal mobs when you are away from base. This is not necessarily hard to do. You periodically sample where the player is; it could be done with an exponential moving average to reduce state. When the player is far from that point, then it is infernal party time!

I think TFC has a mechanism to reduce mob spawning near where the player hangs out the most, so this is not that far-fetched.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Could also do it by distance from player spawn point.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
FTB Pyramid pack just released yesterday, it seems to be a somewhat-gated progression modpack where you're feeding items/power into various quest acceptors to get unlocks that get you to the next gate.

One of the conceits is that you start with a resource generator block that can turn EU (power) into items - not sure the restrictions yet, but when I watched Soaryn doing some testing, he was slapping iron ingots in an item frame, so I think it works on most resources.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

Exhibit 1: Agrarian Skies, Jaded Cat made ALL mobs in the nether infernal - enter the nether and die horribly at all times.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

MaliciousOnion posted:

End of light was one of the worst, 90% of stone blocks were silverfish and 90% were infernal so if you didnt insta kill they would summon their friends one player had about 300 silverfish at once nearly all being infernal and more spawning every second

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I imagine most pack creators add infernal mobs and then never actually perform a playtest in their own pack, so they don't know how awful they are.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

TheresaJayne posted:

Exhibit 1: Agrarian Skies, Jaded Cat made ALL mobs in the nether infernal - enter the nether and die horribly at all times.

To be fair, the stated goal there (and was even in the quest book) was that the Nether is horrible and you should never go there for anything.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Is ag skies / ag skies 2 fun? I'm looking for a good skyblock and MSB2/3 make my computer sad.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
For those who aren't following snapshot news, the latest 1.13 snapshot introduced the Drowned, which are underwater zombies (that can happen if regular zombies drown too) which can swim and will be able to throw tridents at you if they spawn with one.

When 1.13 becomes the next modded platform, I hope underwater survival packs become the new hotness.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 13, 2018

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, that'd be pretty nice. The old Marticulture mod was neat, if a bit overdone. Underwater stuff is a surprisingly untouched area in modded; you barely even see underwater breathing gear in mods, I think.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Underwater stuff is a surprisingly untouched area in modded; you barely even see underwater breathing gear in mods, I think.

I think that has a lot to do with how cumbersome underwater movement is, compared to dry land. I believe 1.13 is changing this a lot to make movement easier, so hopefully it will open up some good design space for mod makers. In particular, I really hope that mining out blocks on the bottom of a lake stops creating a sucking void of flowing water that makes it a pain to swim up those first few blocks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Devor posted:

FTB Pyramid pack just released yesterday, it seems to be a somewhat-gated progression modpack where you're feeding items/power into various quest acceptors to get unlocks that get you to the next gate.

One of the conceits is that you start with a resource generator block that can turn EU (power) into items - not sure the restrictions yet, but when I watched Soaryn doing some testing, he was slapping iron ingots in an item frame, so I think it works on most resources.
Ah, so like the original?
The "Beast" in "Feed The Beast" originally referred to the pyramid in the map of the same name, right?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I had pondered some kind of underwater pack, but that whole space really does need to be improved in general first. I don't know mariculture was quite it; it came off as bees, except with fish. In terms of general design, I think the world would have to be generated with water going all the way up to, say, an upper bedrock layer. I had thought maybe something like an unbreakable ice layer.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I briefly tried an underwater modpack. It didn't strike me as very good however. "Under the Sea"

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Goon Danton posted:

Is ag skies / ag skies 2 fun? I'm looking for a good skyblock and MSB2/3 make my computer sad.

I remembered Agrarian Skies as skyblock done decently, with a questbook that was aimed at getting you to use the mods in a learning fashion. The early game was long and tedious and I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to skip directly to manual cobble generation. gently caress manually sifting.

Agrarian Skies 2 did not follow in that direction and was more content to cater to sky block veterans. It didn't feel like it particularly cared for the player, which was a shame.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

I remembered Agrarian Skies as skyblock done decently, with a questbook that was aimed at getting you to use the mods in a learning fashion. The early game was long and tedious and I wouldn't blame you if you wanted to skip directly to manual cobble generation. gently caress manually sifting.

Agrarian Skies 2 did not follow in that direction and was more content to cater to sky block veterans. It didn't feel like it particularly cared for the player, which was a shame.

Skipping to a basic auto-cobble system is a much more fun way to start Skyblocks. It's like Thaumcraft 4 research - I've done it half a dozen times, I know the systems, I'm not redoing the tedious part again.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Vib Rib posted:

Ah, so like the original?
The "Beast" in "Feed The Beast" originally referred to the pyramid in the map of the same name, right?

Yep. The original FTB came out before command blocks, so the beast was actually a giant mechanical computer built from redpower logic.

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008

Wolfsbane posted:

Yep. The original FTB came out before command blocks, so the beast was actually a giant mechanical computer built from redpower logic.

No wonder that looking at it would bring my FPS to single digits.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Wolfsbane posted:

Apparently the current implementation uses a mess of 'computer' blocks and screens on each of the four islands, causing FPS issues (the screens) and TPS issues (the computers). The pack owner is telling folks to destroy the computers on the other islands (if they're doing single player) to improve performance.

Edit: Which is obviously a hilarious oversight on a pack that 95% of users will be using in single-player.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Devor posted:

Apparently the current implementation uses a mess of 'computer' blocks and screens on each of the four islands, causing FPS issues (the screens) and TPS issues (the computers). The pack owner is telling folks to destroy the computers on the other islands (if they're doing single player) to improve performance.

Edit: Which is obviously a hilarious oversight on a pack that 95% of users will be using in single-player.

Wow, jeez. Did they, like, not look at any of the mods that have been added since 1.2.5? We have things called quest books and poo poo now.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Wolfsbane posted:

The beast being a complicated mess of logic blocks and pipes was probably my favorite thing about it, tbh. It was super cool to finish off the challenges, watch the door lower into the floor, and go around to see how exactly everything was laid out.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

bbcisdabomb posted:

The beast being a complicated mess of logic blocks and pipes was probably my favorite thing about it, tbh. It was super cool to finish off the challenges, watch the door lower into the floor, and go around to see how exactly everything was laid out.

Even the "push button to get new starting items" thing was incredibly designed. I remember watching something waaay back with Slowpoke where he was explaining that even the 5 light countdown thing before the hatch opened was complicated as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
FTB also started you with a dark matter axe, which is something I wish more skyblocks did. You're going to be chopping trees down for hours anyway, might as well make it not take quite as long. It would go well with Progressive Automation as well, since you could slap it in a farming block and not have to worry about it breaking.