Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I really regret uplifting this nice seeming bunch of lizards I found near my homeworld. They've been bitching ever since I brought them to FTL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Nemo2342 posted:

It's not /that/ bad to get people to like your Assimilators, though it can be pretty expensive. You basically have to give them free research agreements to build up trust, then spam them with gifts until you can hopefully get a non-aggression pact with them. It does get easier later on once you can add in Emotion Emulators for a free +25 though.

If you touch borders at all with someone before getting them above -30 or so, they will rival you and sink any chance of ever being their friend. You're also hosed with regards to federation builders and xenophiles, since even if you can befriend them, they will eventually join a Federation, which, if anyone in that federation is your rival, will sink your opinion by a minimum of 150 points. Even if you start with emotion emulators, your only hope is to either only border assholes who won't join a federation and bog it up with hatred of you, or to only befriend assholes who won't join a federation.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I've had to leave my Federation because my nearest neighbour and member - the Bebaki State - was using the Federation as an excuse to conquer and expand over their neighbour and rival.

I get that their neighbours are a bunch of xenophobic blobs, but I object to being dragged into a war against a race who really aren't that much of a threat to the Bebaki or myself.

I renamed the Federation "A Stupid and Costly Mistake" and left it.

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 12, 2018

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Synthbuttrange posted:

I really dont get organic vassal's thought processes. They're super unhappy every organic is plugged into the matrix for power, but their opinion of me jumped way back up when I just decided to liquidate them all.

Millennials.txt right the gently caress here

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Synthbuttrange posted:

I really dont get organic vassal's thought processes. They're super unhappy every organic is plugged into the matrix for power, but their opinion of me jumped way back up when I just decided to liquidate them all.

Look, man, Killomatic isn't a politicsbot, it's just telling it like it is, talking like a normal robot you can get a motor oil with. Sure, I don't agree with liquidating all organics, but it's all just hyperbole, and anyway anything is better than more of the same from Dominatron, plugging us all into the matrix to generate power for the robot one percent. And what about her FTL transmissions?

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Is there some secret reason that my energy production completely tanks after I finish modifying a species?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Aerdan posted:

Reworked Planetary Diversity merged PD and Reworked Planets, which puts the planets on two axes (temperature vertically, humidity horizontally) and expands habitability (this was back before the habitability revamp).

I came here this morning to post this, because yeah it's kind of an awesome concept and I'd hate to see it die - I think the two together are better than either alone, because all the extra planet types in PD feel weird placed on one axis in terms of habitability ratings (that said, it looks like the new update of PD is different than I remember it), and the two axes in RP feel overwrought for the nine planet types in the base game.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 12, 2018

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

HappyKitty posted:

Is there some secret reason that my energy production completely tanks after I finish modifying a species?

what way did you modify

I've never seen it before though, no

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Libluini posted:

(Was just a bit higher up on the same page :v: )
:cripes:

Note: I'm not trying to come in here and just straight bitch about this stuff, I am trying to figure out if I am just plain bad or doing something *really* wrong.

Tomn posted:

I mean, yeah, that IS one of the downsides and risks of disbanding your fleet to save on minerals.

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah I think I found the problem. If you get rid of your free fleet you'll get destroyed by spaceships. That's kind of how it works.
I was pointing that out because I owned four systems in a bottleneck protected by heavily armed starbases and my pirate chance was listed at zero percent. Two of my systems only bordered the two systems that had the forts....there was no other access; to get into one of my systems you had to go through a fort. Despite this, pirates spawned in rapid succession outside of both fort systems and proceeded to send wave after wave of ships at my forts. Both of them repeatedly lost their defense stations and the one got down to half structure before I finally built a fleet to help protect it. These forts each had a gun extension built in addition to me producing the defense thingies.

I was testing if hiding behind forts could help mitigate the awful problems I have had with pirates and could also be a way to be cheap about having a fleet up. Turns out it did not help.

DatonKallandor posted:

After several more games I still can't replicate any of the pirate issues people are reporting either - they start out so weak they can't kill an outpost until help arrives and that state lasts for multiple pirate outbreaks. Eventually they get to the point where they might kill one system's worth of mining bases until the 6 or so corvettes needed to stomp them show up from a lot of system away. The highest I've ever seen pirates get is slightly less than 1k power (at which point about 10 corvettes easily exceeded that) and by then there's just no unclaimed space left so pirates cease to exist.
This is the exact opposite of my experience. If I have 5 corvettes, 6 pirate corvettes spawn. If I have 8 corvettes, 10 pirate corvettes spawn.

I tried some 2.0.2 beta multiplayer with some friends last night. The one guy was a slaving mineral producing machine. The pirates he faced were well over 1k starting with the second event. Meanwhile the other guy and myself, both apparently :shobon: newbies, were facing 500 power fleets at worst, but still more than either of us could easily handle.

I can start documenting this poo poo with screenshots and data if you'd like more proof.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Are you using mods? Something about your game sounds hosed up if that's the pirate spawns you're getting.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DatonKallandor posted:

Are you using mods? Something about your game sounds hosed up if that's the pirate spawns you're getting.
No mods here.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm curious how pirate strength is even calculated. Is it X% of your fleet capacity? A global average between players? The first ones will be a challenge when I've just got a few corvettes but by the time the game is throwing 1k pirate fleets at me I'm at 10k. When they start throwing galleons and poo poo I'm at 20k and so on. The pirates them selves are never a threat, just an annoyance.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

DatonKallandor posted:

Also don't use any mods and see the same. Pirates seem to keep pace with your total fleet power before topping out around the ~4k strength point. Can get annoying when you have multiple fleets but are forced to keep them together so they can police some empty space. Thus defeating the purpose of having multiple, smaller fleets.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
imo the pirates would be more interesting if they spawned stronger fleets but not one god drat jump from your zone. Make them spawn 3-4 jumps out with a stronger force. Once there aren't any 3-4 jump plots of open space left just stop spawning them because they only serve to piss people off while doing nothing of consequence at that point. An option to buy them off would be cool too.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Baronjutter posted:

The pirates them selves are never a threat, just an annoyance.
This is why I dislike the mechanic - they are a fun tax and nothing more. They could abstract it and make it so they are a minor drain on your researces from orbital stations. Then you would have the option to ignore it if you are busy, and maybe it gradually gets worse. You could then do something like use a science vessel or a fleet to look for their base if you want to blow it up. Or you could just patrol with your fleets a little. I dunno, I just feel the current mechanic is pretty bad.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Pirates are an early warning that you're overreaching yourself. If pirates are a minor annoyance that require a few seconds attention to flick a fleet the right way, you're doing right regarding fleet placement etc. If pirates are wrecking your poo poo, it's a heads up that you're going to lose the next war you get into and you need to pay more attention to defence.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Also don't use any mods and see the same. Pirates seem to keep pace with your total fleet power before topping out around the ~4k strength point. Can get annoying when you have multiple fleets but are forced to keep them together so they can police some empty space. Thus defeating the purpose of having multiple, smaller fleets.

If that was the case he wouldn't get rolled by pirates after scrapping his fleet. If it was based on fleet power that would mean weaker pirates, not stronger. I always run multiple fleets and the pirates are always easily beatable, so I don't know what's up with peoples playstyle to make the pirates freak out. And it's not like I never leave any gaps in my empire - in one game I specifically jumped over unclaimed systems and had a bunch of isolated islands. Pirates spawned more often, but were always more than weak enough to beat up with a small corvette group.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

:cripes:

Note: I'm not trying to come in here and just straight bitch about this stuff, I am trying to figure out if I am just plain bad or doing something *really* wrong.

I was pointing that out because I owned four systems in a bottleneck protected by heavily armed starbases and my pirate chance was listed at zero percent. Two of my systems only bordered the two systems that had the forts....there was no other access; to get into one of my systems you had to go through a fort. Despite this, pirates spawned in rapid succession outside of both fort systems and proceeded to send wave after wave of ships at my forts. Both of them repeatedly lost their defense stations and the one got down to half structure before I finally built a fleet to help protect it. These forts each had a gun extension built in addition to me producing the defense thingies.

I was testing if hiding behind forts could help mitigate the awful problems I have had with pirates and could also be a way to be cheap about having a fleet up. Turns out it did not help.

This is the exact opposite of my experience. If I have 5 corvettes, 6 pirate corvettes spawn. If I have 8 corvettes, 10 pirate corvettes spawn.

I tried some 2.0.2 beta multiplayer with some friends last night. The one guy was a slaving mineral producing machine. The pirates he faced were well over 1k starting with the second event. Meanwhile the other guy and myself, both apparently :shobon: newbies, were facing 500 power fleets at worst, but still more than either of us could easily handle.

I can start documenting this poo poo with screenshots and data if you'd like more proof.

When pirates spawn, they spawn with a fleet AND a base. If you kill the fleet but not the base they will respawn quicker and stronger than they would otherwise. The initial fleet can always be beaten by the starting 3 corvettes working with an outpost. The base never gets stronger but will take either refitting the corvettes to all armor or adding an additional one or two. You get minerals and energy when you kill the base.

Your problem is not clearing out the base. If you do that, pirates are more of a nuisance than a threat.

feller fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 12, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

Pirates are an early warning that you're overreaching yourself. If pirates are a minor annoyance that require a few seconds attention to flick a fleet the right way, you're doing right regarding fleet placement etc. If pirates are wrecking your poo poo, it's a heads up that you're going to lose the next war you get into and you need to pay more attention to defence.
This isnt my experience at all. I never have any problems dealing with AI empires and I have started playing on hard/aggressive AI because they are so docile and easy to shithouse. Pirates spawn anywhere and blow up years of work in terms of sending out a construction ship and spending minerals and time to build orbital resource stations. Early in the game I cannot afford to keep a fleet up to strength and deployed in the field and still grow/build a bigger fleet without crippling myself.

Senor Dog posted:

When pirates spawn, they spawn with a fleet AND a base. If you kill the fleet but not the base they will respawn quicker and stronger than they would otherwise. The initial fleet can always be beaten by the starting 3 corvettes working with an outpost. The base never gets stronger but will take either refitting the corvettes to all armor or adding an additional one or two. You get minerals and energy when you kill the base.

Your problem is not clearing out the base. If you do that, pirates are more of a nuisance than a threat.
In that one example of mine without a fleet I was not killing the base initially because I had no fleet. In every other game where I am not trying a (bad) gimmick they are still too powerful for my starting Corvettes, without fail.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That might indicate an issue with your early game, your early game goal is to get as much mineral income as possible. You need to get your mineral income to at least 30 and don't ever let it drop lower than that. That's more or less your low bar for being able to do something useful with minerals, you want it as high as possible obviously but if it sits around in the 10's or 20's without a big surplus then you've essentially stalled your economy.

I would say you should really be reaching that 30 or so goal before pirates spawn.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OwlFancier posted:

That might indicate an issue with your early game, your early game goal is to get as much mineral income as possible. You need to get your mineral income to at least 30 and don't ever let it drop lower than that. That's more or less your low bar for being able to do something useful with minerals, you want it as high as possible obviously but if it sits around in the 10's or 20's without a big surplus then you've essentially stalled your economy.
That is usually my entire focus. I can usually get up to 40+ by the 10 year mark when Pirates can start to spawn, but that surplus obviously drops the bigger the fleet I have.

edit: I'm usually at 20+ by the end of the second month and can hit the mid twenties by the end of the first year. My Species is Industrious and I have the Mining Guilds civic. I usually make sure to build mines on any +2 mineral tiles and move my workers to them because that is a 1.25 improvement in mineral income just by mining a different tile...

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 12, 2018

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

DatonKallandor posted:

If that was the case he wouldn't get rolled by pirates after scrapping his fleet. If it was based on fleet power that would mean weaker pirates, not stronger. I always run multiple fleets and the pirates are always easily beatable, so I don't know what's up with peoples playstyle to make the pirates freak out. And it's not like I never leave any gaps in my empire - in one game I specifically jumped over unclaimed systems and had a bunch of isolated islands. Pirates spawned more often, but were always more than weak enough to beat up with a small corvette group.

It sounds like the problem may not be following up on them after you beat back the initial fleet that spawns. Even with the first, event triggered pirates you gotta destroy their base quickly or you'll find a much larger fleet coming after you a fee months later. The first fleet will usually always be in line with what you can field. The ones after that seem to have no limit.

Fortunately every pirate base I've ever seen only has a power of 72 so it should always be easy to pop them even if you got knocked around pretty hard.

I will agree with everyone else that they are really just an annoyance designed to slow you down and don't present much more than that. They are as fun as trying to drive over speed bumps in real life nd don't pose any more of a challenge than that.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

imo the pirates would be more interesting if they spawned stronger fleets but not one god drat jump from your zone. Make them spawn 3-4 jumps out with a stronger force. Once there aren't any 3-4 jump plots of open space left just stop spawning them because they only serve to piss people off while doing nothing of consequence at that point. An option to buy them off would be cool too.

Another kind of marauder clan at that point

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Aerdan posted:

Content:

Would there be any interest in reviving the Reworked Planetary Diversity mod and making it compatible with 2.0? I ask cos that was one of the mods I really enjoyed back around 1.5/1.6, before I dropped Stellaris for a while.

I mean, I'd be pretty interested!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Early in the game I cannot afford to keep a fleet up to strength and deployed in the field and still grow/build a bigger fleet without crippling myself.
If part of your empire is far enough away from your crew quarter starbase that it can't get to the pirates in time to stop them wrecking your poo poo you need a second crew quarter starbase located in that part of your empire with a second fleet attached to it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

If part of your empire is far enough away from your crew quarter starbase that it can't get to the pirates in time to stop them wrecking your poo poo you need a second crew quarter starbase located in that part of your empire with a second fleet attached to it.
You realize that even needing to go even three jumps can mean that pirates will have destroyed a systems worth of mining/research stations, right?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Putting in one or two defense platforms in at risk systems helps

Early on, one platform is enough, later, another, past early game you need a small fleet though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Alternatively, look at adding defense platforms to frontier outposts. I've found that adding one or two can help handle the initial pirate attack and buy you time to get your fleet into position to clean up.

Past the late early game, pirate chance to spawn should be low if you're fortifying choke points effectively.

e: fb by Sloober

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Sloober posted:

what way did you modify

I've never seen it before though, no

First time was to add Industrious, second time was to add Intelligent and get rid of Sedentary. Nothing that should affect energy production. Is there some sort of happiness modifier that gets applied to pops immediately after modification?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

You realize that even needing to go even three jumps can mean that pirates will have destroyed a systems worth of mining/research stations, right?

Do you not have any upgrades to armor or weapons by the time they spawn? In my experience the first pirate spawn runs into the nearest outpost and putters around it for ages, not doing much until my 5 corvettes jump in and clean up. Then again I always get the first armor tech as a priority, so that might skew things a lot.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Pirates don't seem to punish over-expansion they seem to punish under-expansion. Sometimes I just want to stop expanding and not cripple my research by having 100 systems and 3 planets, and I'll find some logical choke points to set pretty borders. But if you don't paint the map right up to the borders of your nearest neighbours you're always going to get pirates.

I mean if you've found those natural chokepoints and natural borders you end up plopping some starbases down, but you'd think that would prevent the attacks. It feels like starbases should exude an anti-pirate effect that stop pirates from spawning in adjacent systems.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Ive gotten Contingency 4 games in a row now since Apoc. Is this a bug or am I just unlucky?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

HappyKitty posted:

First time was to add Industrious, second time was to add Intelligent and get rid of Sedentary. Nothing that should affect energy production. Is there some sort of happiness modifier that gets applied to pops immediately after modification?

Not that im aware of. But the game does handle species changes really oddly sometimes. Does it revert if you exit to menu and reload?

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Not in my experience. I literally have never seen pirates that can kill an un-upgraded outpost before a corvette fleet can get there before the mid-game. I really don't know how this is happening to you. At absolute worst, if you're 5 systems away, maybe they'll manage to take down one outpost and a couple of stations in that one system, but 2 outposts is unimaginble from the games I've played.

Baronjutter posted:

Pirates don't seem to punish over-expansion they seem to punish under-expansion. Sometimes I just want to stop expanding and not cripple my research by having 100 systems and 3 planets, and I'll find some logical choke points to set pretty borders. But if you don't paint the map right up to the borders of your nearest neighbours you're always going to get pirates.

I mean if you've found those natural chokepoints and natural borders you end up plopping some starbases down, but you'd think that would prevent the attacks. It feels like starbases should exude an anti-pirate effect that stop pirates from spawning in adjacent systems.

If you've got a nice chokepoint with a starbase why would even want pirates to stop spawning? They're free research, energy and minerals. Every time pirates fire it's a small injection of xp to your admiral and scientist, a couple of free research points and a decent amount of minerals and energy.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

That would be fantastic. As it is the only way to prevent them completely is to expand until there's straight up nowhere for pirates to spawn. It's kind of silly, and there really should be a method to shut down pirates spawning that isn't for there to be no unoccupied systems at your borders.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you've got 40 mineral income by year 10 then you should be able to field enough corvettes to beat up the starting pirates with ease.... The starting wave should only be about 5 ships or so at about 200-300 fleet power which you should be able to easily match by building some missile corvettes. Wait for them to trundle into a system and start shooting at your outpost/mines and then send your fleet in to blow them up. Your mines have a fair bit of health so you can use them as distractions. Follow up and blow up the base immediately because the base has virtually no defence whatsoever. Then work on securing more territory. If you try to keep at least a level 1 starbase between your developed systems and the pirates then you should be fine, they can't easily beat one of those especially not with a fleet reinforcing, and if they do they'll probably take enough damage that you can mop them up trivially.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 12, 2018

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
If there could be some way to stop pirates from spawning in systems where you have a construction or science ship actively doing something that would be wonderful.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Early game by the time my guys reach them they're usually still plinking away at the outpost, unless I've pulled all my fleets away for a major engagement. Mind you, I tend to expand toward places I want to put starbases and focus on chokepoints so if a pirate spawns in X I usually know which if my system's they're heading for. I do lose stations to pirates obviously, but usually because I've rolled the dice on leaving somewhere undefended and come up snakeyes. Late game I tend to lose more, but care less.

My current game I'm a few decades in, I've lost one, maybe two stations and a few corvettes to pirates, and am expecting to take a nasty hit soon due to a blitz up to an important chokepoint I made just before calling it a night. The stations were because I forgot to clear out a base after killing the fleet and had to scramble, had a neat running battle where I was reinforcing against the upgraded pirates slightly faster than my ships were retreating and then had to blitz my busted-rear end fleet down to the newly spawned one. Was cool.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 12, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The only thing I can think of that would be affecting your ability to fight the pirates would be if you're playing on a very connected map with no real chokepoints, because that's going to give you high piracy threat and make it really difficult to actually secure fronts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:shrug: I'm going to stop making GBS threads up the thread about it. I play a medium 4 arm spiral galaxy with 1.0 hyperlane density. I identify and rush to choke points while also trying to fill out my space so there are no unclaimed systems not protect by an upgraded starbase. The problem is the time before that fill-out is complete - the pirates spawn and before they engage the system's starbase they usually kill any mining/research stations in between where they entered the system and the defense station.
Sometimes they spawn in system A and go through system B to get to system C. On their way through B they destroy some mining/research stations then do the same in C on their way to the starbase.
After I kill the fleet I *always* follow up and destroy the pirate base. That is not the problem here.

It just sucks because that is not "pirate" behaviour and it is just a fun tax. You get punished in terms of Research and Unity if you expand too far and you get punished in system upgrades if you dont expand enough. It especially sucks because Influence is a bottleneck and so often all I get is highly-connected systems that only produce 2 energy, so I just quit the game and start a new one because it is impossible to just leave those lovely systems unlcaimed. I have to either suffer higher tech and unity costs or pirate raids.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 12, 2018