Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I love Matt's steadfast refusal to wear new or nice clothes :ussr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

prefect posted:

How widespread is this I24 thing? Is it on most cable TV systems?

According to Wiki it’s only available if you have Optimum or Suddenlink, which I have never heard of. Maybe it’s an East Coast thing.

Anyway I think irony boys keep going on there because it’s funny to poo poo up an Israeli propaganda network, not because they secretly oppose BDS.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Henchman of Santa posted:

Anyway I think irony boys keep going on there because it’s funny to poo poo up an Israeli propaganda network, not because they secretly oppose BDS.

This seems perfectly sensible to me. Using a serious news network for your own amusement is good.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
I don't understand how Matt can be as big as he is and have such skinny little twink arms

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I don't understand how Matt can be as big as he is and have such skinny little twink arms

For someone so anti-gaming he's cultivated the perfect gamer physique.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

prefect posted:

This seems perfectly sensible to me. Using a serious news network for your own amusement is good.

If you support a boycott, undermining it for your own amusement is actually not so great imo

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
The cumboy who keeps booking weird/left twitter people is fomenting the revolution from inside the rot

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
What do they expect? The President of the DSA was a frequent guest of Red Eye on Fox News

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

According to Wiki it’s only available if you have Optimum or Suddenlink, which I have never heard of. Maybe it’s an East Coast thing.

they're both small regional providers owned by the guy that owns i24. optimum covers the nyc metro area but suddenlink's only available in parts of the south and midwest that none of the bigger isps cover

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I hope some Israeli kids try to listen to Chapo after this and get radicalized.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

MonsieurChoc posted:

I hope some Israeli kids try to listen to Chapo after this and get radicalized.

I recommend "Ep. 26 - CONGRATULATIONS PRESIDENT HILLARY!!!!"

Episode also includes a stirring defense of the art of Limp Bizkit.

prefect fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 10, 2018

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

FuriousGeorge posted:

For someone so anti-gaming he's cultivated the perfect gamer physique.

? Gamers have big strong forearms. Take me for example.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I haven’t seen it in like 15 years, but I remember laughing at one of the characters in The Beach mocking Leonardo Dicaprio for his overly slender hands and thumbs, toned after years of video games.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
the interesting thing about matt's video game's arguments is they sort of viscerally make sense on the surface, but under any interrogation they just kinda fall apart

like his point about encouraging anti-social behaviour, it's kinda like "hey yeah that kinda makes sense" but when you think about it it's more of a correlation=/=causation thing, since it's more likely people with existing anti-social qualities are simply indulging in an already existing behaviour trait

they didn't go over it much in i24 video but the point about how things are increasingly online is interesting to me, since a lot of those online commerce things are about avoiding people, avoiding stress, making everything as smooth and easy as possible

whereas with video games the opposite is true, as technology gets better, designers find new ways to encourage play with friends and family, new ways to have fun with, relate to, and compete with people, which is precisely not what our connected world usually does

I dunno maybe no one gives a poo poo about all this pee pee doo doo game's own

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

matt is technically correct, which is the best kind of correct to be online. but nothing he says about games doesn't also apply to all the other ways people waste their life.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Pretty much. Matt's coming at it from a not wrong place of 'wasting your life is bad, defining yourself by consumerism is bad, things that make you think corporations are your friends are bad' which is a broad point that can be applied to any consumption. He just focuses it on games because that's something that gets the best rise out of people.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
"games alienate you from society," sure, if that's all you do; but the same can be said for netflix, movies, diy carpentry, etc.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

padijun posted:

"games alienate you from society," sure, if that's all you do; but the same can be said for netflix, movies, diy carpentry, etc.

I would like to meet the person alienated from life via carpentry.

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Makes me think about a Cum Town bit where Nick made fun of that idea. Like "Yeah, I dropped out of college cause instead of studying I went to galleries and looked at paintings.... Or I had to pee in bottles because I didn''t wanna stop reading books"

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Mr. Lobe posted:

I've seen carpenters streaming on twitch before, I assume they exist

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Nick Offerman, if Parks and Rec never got greenlit.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mr. Lobe posted:

you know how you can make fun of nerd with their plastic toys and video games and all they do is spend time on internet forums arguing over if naruto can beat goku in a street fight?

people do that with woodworking, too. except it's collecting tools and only making shop (solely building stuff only for their shop so that they can build more stuff for their shop to make more stuff for their shop) and spending time on internet forums arguing over if titebond 3 smells as nice as tung oil.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Mr. Lobe posted:

Literally the president of the DSA for a period in his life.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

Mr. Lobe posted:

There's a well-documented case involving masonry at least (Poe et al, 1846)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Stickfigure posted:

Makes me think about a Cum Town bit where Nick made fun of that idea. Like "Yeah, I dropped out of college cause instead of studying I went to galleries and looked at paintings.... Or I had to pee in bottles because I didn''t wanna stop reading books"

Ep. 30 - Copycats

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stickfigure posted:

Yea addiction exists for near anything but we can't pretend like games aren't designed around reward/effort calculations that speak to that part of the brain much more than other media.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/bariweiss/status/960333015271530496
https://twitter.com/firescotch/status/972902781848883201

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nyt
Is
Trash

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

prefect posted:

I recommend "Ep. 26 - CONGRATULATIONS PRESIDENT HILLARY!!!!"

Episode also includes a stirring defense of the art of Limp Bizkit.

My feed has "Ep. 26 - ReTHUGlican National CRIMEvention".

Literally
Jul 2, 2009

It's the post election episode of cum town.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
god dammit will it's nuh-locks-own

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

god dammit will it's nuh-locks-own

I can forgive that one, none of them have ever said words out loud, so pharmaceuticals are gonna get mangled

the "cops just spraying it on their face poo poo" is absolutely infuriating, but of course that's what cops are doing

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Matt: "Trump is right"

sexpig by night posted:

Pretty much. Matt's coming at it from a not wrong place of 'wasting your life is bad, defining yourself by consumerism is bad, things that make you think corporations are your friends are bad' which is a broad point that can be applied to any consumption. He just focuses it on games because that's something that gets the best rise out of people.

And who defines what "wasting your life" is? Is it not podcasting?

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 12, 2018

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
It's nice that Jordan Peterson has such a good voice for being mocked.

I don't know what this Matt-and-Felix-in-a-van thing is, but I want the whole thing livestreamed.

They should have talked about the Dune movie more.

prefect fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 12, 2018

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I've wanted to read Dune for forever, but I can't even get through Hyperion.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The dwarves were the Jews in Tolkien, Matt.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hyperion is better written than Dune. Though I dropped it after the scientist/scholar's story, it just didn't grip me except for the priest's story (I think it was the first one).

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

padijun posted:

I can forgive that one, none of them have ever said words out loud, so pharmaceuticals are gonna get mangled

the "cops just spraying it on their face poo poo" is absolutely infuriating, but of course that's what cops are doing

Yeah it's forgivable I just hear naloxone a lot irl so it triggered me harder than it should have.

I'm real glad the dry boys went after that paper. I've spent the last few days freaking out about it and I'm glad it's getting pushback.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hyperion is much longer than Dune, to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
That famous French Canadian director, Dennis Villanueva