Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Davros1 posted:

Jumanji 2 was #10 this week. I don't think The Last Jedi even stayed in the top ten that long

Jumanji 2 just had its 12th weekend in the top 10 and Last Jedi was only in the top 10 for 6 weekends. The Force Awakens was only in the top 10 for 10 weekends.

(Avatar was in the top 10 for 14 weekends, Avengers for 9 weekends, Jurassic World for 8 weekends)

People won't fuckin' stop buying tickets to Jumanji 2!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

i want to die

Slashfilm posted:

...but like the OASIS, it’s a wonderful piece of escapism. Sometimes, a vacation from anything meaningful does make for an interesting ride.

Jesus. This sounds truly dreadful.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

feedmyleg posted:

Glad I'm not the only one reading that into these reviews. It sounds awful even as they rave.

...are film critics having the same baffling reaction as literary critics did?

Some of the earliest critics that voiced dissatisfaction with the movie got a ton of hate tweets until they took their impressions down. Since it was shown at SXSW there are a lot of budding critics looking to make their mark and establish a following.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

I have little doubt that the new "live action" version will ignore all of that. Which is a shame because it's ripe for Simba returning and realizing that his father was not the hero he imagined as a child and that a democracy must be established.

Based on what I read in the animation thread, apparently the new movie is changing Scar into a less outright evil character. Mufasa's death will still be caused by him but it's more ambiguous, and his hyena minions will also be given more motivation for helping Scar. Because of this change, "Be Prepared" is gone but replaced by a new song about Scar being unsure that he can handle his newfound power. The ending will have Simba ensuring equality for all animals, including the hyenas.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I never saw the live action Jungle Book, did it update any of the values/politics/implications of the older animated version?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Some of the earliest critics that voiced dissatisfaction with the movie got a ton of hate tweets until they took their impressions down. Since it was shown at SXSW there are a lot of budding critics looking to make their mark and establish a following.

https://twitter.com/jowrotethis/status/973073977827647488

Other negative reviews:
https://twitter.com/MissBrittHayes/status/973063021114331136
https://twitter.com/JonathanBarkan/status/973086363619856384
https://twitter.com/KristyPuchko/status/973065736137650178

This is an interesting opinion.
https://twitter.com/erickohn/status/973061778010755077

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I never saw the live action Jungle Book, did it update any of the values/politics/implications of the older animated version?

Yeah, like the use of the Red Flower is completely flipped around. Instead of being proof Mowgli has some power of over the jungle, its a destructive force that ends up being abandoned.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Re: the Black Panther vs Wrinkle In Time discussion we had a week ago:

Weekend estimates are in and BP easily kept the #1 spot, pulling in $41 million while A Wrinkle In Time only managed $33m which is way way less than the $52m opening that had been predicted.

$41m for a 4th weekend is crazy impressive. It's the 3rd biggest 4th weekend for any movie ever, falling just shy of Star Wars: The Force Awakens which brought in $42m on its 4th weekend (and that film ended up making two billion).

Also Marvel just confirmed a sequel for Black Panther. The only surprising part about that is that it took them so long to announce it. :v:

I did not do my part and see Wrinkle in Time even though I was interested because seeing that Thoroughbreds was only playing at one theater with limited screens, so I decided it was now or never for it as far as seeing it at a reasonable time.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

It does change the implicit message from "man is above nature" to "man needs to live in harmony with nature", though the original film isn't exactly a strongly didactic work.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6eMy2t_0Sk

Huh, so JP Go is a thing.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Holy LOL that Slashfilm review:

The intentions are well meaning, but the script is just basic enough to cause these references to often feel like a shallow plucking on nostalgic heart strings. Halliday loving pop culture isn’t a strong enough reason for all of this familiar iconography to be so heavily woven into the film.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

And ghostbusters and harry potter

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
My feeling about direct, explicit reference in fiction is it almost always comes off as lame and artificial if you know exactly what the author/director is referring to. Luckily most artists are smarter and more well-read than I am.

I'm pretty sure Kill Bill is just references but A) I'm barely familiar with grindhouse 70s trash Japanese television or whatever and B) QT is smart enough to give his own spin to things. It sounds like RPO is just normalcore poo poo even I've heard of for 1.8 hours.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

porfiria posted:

My feeling about direct, explicit reference in fiction is it almost always comes off as lame and artificial if you know exactly what the author/director is referring to. Luckily most artists are smarter and more well-read than I am.

I'm pretty sure Kill Bill is just references but A) I'm barely familiar with grindhouse 70s trash Japanese television or whatever and B) QT is smart enough to give his own spin to things. It sounds like RPO is just normalcore poo poo even I've heard of for 1.8 hours.

Why haven't you watched Lady Snowblood?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It also had more pop culture references than I remember. Like Pumba referencing "In the Heat of the Night". Who wrote that? Who is the audience for that joke?

Mr Bean is great in it though

What was the joke?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sirotan posted:

What was the joke?
"THEY CALL ME MR. PIG!"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

porfiria posted:

Holy poo poo I hadn't even thought about it like that but that is actually why I can't stand Kill Bill. That said, it was at least slightly more substantial and artful than RPO.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The worst part is it's punchline to a setup that doesn't exist. A Hyena calls him a pig and he hulks out. Timon says "oh no now you've done it." But there's never a scene establishing this is a touchy subject, and characters call him a pig earlier in the movie, even in the previous scene with no reaction.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

TetsuoTW posted:

Holy poo poo I hadn't even thought about it like that but that is actually why I can't stand Kill Bill. That said, it was at least slightly more substantial and artful than RPO.

QT understands the essence of what he's borrowing from and can do it well. Just referencing stuff does no work whatsoever.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

All of Tarantino's stuff is just "borrowing" from older movies, but yes, he does sometimes remix them instead of having The Bride rattle off every Shaw Brothers movie ever made to somehow prove that she is the top geek.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

QT understands the essence of what he's borrowing from and can do it well.
I would say that Kill Bill is evidence that sometimes he doesn't and can't, but I would also admit that that's also partly me trying to understand why I loving detest that movie when it should have been completely my jam.

E: but that's not to say he wasn't trying. RPO on the other hand is the epitome of not trying.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The worst part is it's punchline to a setup that doesn't exist. A Hyena calls him a pig and he hulks out. Timon says "oh no now you've done it." But there's never a scene establishing this is a touchy subject, and characters call him a pig earlier in the movie, even in the previous scene with no reaction.

Eh, it made kid me laugh a lot.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kid me too. But adult me is jaded. Watched this and Hercules yesterday. Hercules was better by far.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Jumanji 2 just had its 12th weekend in the top 10 and Last Jedi was only in the top 10 for 6 weekends. The Force Awakens was only in the top 10 for 10 weekends.

(Avatar was in the top 10 for 14 weekends, Avengers for 9 weekends, Jurassic World for 8 weekends)

People won't fuckin' stop buying tickets to Jumanji 2!!

It's still in theaters!? I just bought it on Vudu!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Kid me too. But adult me is jaded. Watched this and Hercules yesterday. Hercules was better by far.

Lion King has the best soundtrack.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It is utterly baffling to me that “Be Prepared” isn’t going to be in Favreau’s live action adaption.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What big ones do Disney still have that they haven't done live-action adaptations of yet?

Lion King and Aladdin I know are both in the pipeline. Little Mermaid maybe?

I wonder if they're still set on making that Rescue Rangers movie they've been talking about for about 30 years at this point?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What is the point of rescue rangers when they already have The Rescuers and The Rescuers Down Under?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What is the point of rescue rangers when they already have The Rescuers and The Rescuers Down Under?

Teaming up!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Fart City posted:

It is utterly baffling to me that “Be Prepared” isn’t going to be in Favreau’s live action adaption.

I think they're only keeping 3-4 songs from the original. The rest will be newly written for the movie.

Edit: yup- Can you feel the love, Hakuna Matata, I Just Can't Wait to be King and Circle of Life.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 12, 2018

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Pretty sure the obvious choice is a Great Mouse Detective live-action movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

MrBling posted:

But no one can replace Vincent Price.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Tars Tarkas posted:

Teaming up!

The HCU, Herodent Cinematic Universe

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MrBling posted:

Will he team up with Sherlock Gnome?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Hello sir have you heard of Deviant Art.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Its dope theme song.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dinosaurs! posted:

Its dope theme song.

Coo-Coo Cola too

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fart City posted:

Hello sir have you heard of Deviant Art.

It's Gadget, isn't it?

I say forget her, forget Chip, forget Dale, forget the fly, just make the Rescuers but with Monterey Jack, aka the best character.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's Gadget, isn't it?

I say forget her, forget Chip, forget Dale, forget the fly, just make the Rescuers but with Monterey Jack, aka the best character.

Make the framing device an increasingly drunk Monterey Jack bragging about his adventurers to his bar buddies and you have my rear end in the seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think they're only keeping 3-4 songs from the original. The rest will be newly written for the movie.

Edit: yup- Can you feel the love, Hakuna Matata, I Just Can't Wait to be King and Circle of Life.

That's all the songs besides Be Prepared. No He Lives in You, though? It's the best song on the soundtrack, even if it's not actually in the movie.