Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The only thing that can stop a bad mailer with a bomb is a good mailer with a bomb. And the bad mailer's address
Clearly we should require extensive background checks to send mail.

E happy to pay my fair share of dog tax!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So we have a new unabomber?

people who use mail and pipe bombs to kill are actually fairly frequent, they just generally dont generate a lot of media attention

e: two different bombers in NYC in the last few years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_New_York_and_New_Jersey_bombings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_New_York_City_attempted_bombing

and thats under the relatively higher profile "terrorism" label and not just domestic murders

here's a guy who killed his inlaws with a lamp bomb in 2014 https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tennessee-man-pleads-guilty-to-killing-in-laws-with-lamp-bomb/

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 12, 2018

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So we have a new unabomber?

Only instead of being largely right about the alienation of modern technology, this one seems to just be a racist.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I forgot the unibomber's manifesto has a big section just devoted to complaining you can't call women chicks

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Ah, fair enough. I guess I meant releasing more than that, you said earlier some in the community say they know more about this than they're saying publicly? I was referring to whatever that was. I hate feeling out of the loop, I miss Austin a lot and still care what happens there.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A Democrat running in a district that Trump won by 20 loving points isn’t the most liberal guy out there. Better tar and feather him. Also his job literally won’t exist in 8 months.

Thats the thing though, the issues he's lovely on are ones that would be appealing to the voters. We're not talking wedge issues here.

E: just a heads up, impeachment doesnt mean "dems get the white house", it means "VP becomes president" and I genuinely consider Pence a worse candidate for the position.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Aidan_702 posted:

Using a nerve agent in the first place was ludicrous. They could’ve just stabbed or shot him or set fire to his house. They did this either because they were ludicrously confident they were doing it well and were absolutely incompetent or they did it on purpose.

Russia didn't give a gently caress because the UK's too busy ripping itself apart over Brexit and they figure the odds of this unifying the UK against them in any meaningful way is zero, especially for international action because the US isn't going to do poo poo. Trump still hasn't signed the sanction that Congress overwhelmingly passed either, IIRC.

Javes posted:

So you're OK with right-leaning Dems ghoulish policies? At the end of the day, Trump is just a more pure manifestation of the republican party and impeaching him doesn't really accomplish a whole lot.

I will take a dozen Manchins and a hundred Lambs in the Senate and House if it means those seats didn't go to Republicans. Just get a more leftward-leaning person in as POTUS and not one of these people (so gently caress off, anyone who plans to support Corey Booker and his ilk).

For fucks sake Lamb's Republican opponent was a loving torturer at Abu Gharib and is proudly pro-torture among other things. Lamb might be bad on some things but he's still beyond the leftwing horizon compared to what Republicans would (and did) elect here.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah that's where i'm at. i was just saying it's a bummer we have to support people like him because of how insane some parts of the country are.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Amazon's marketing campaign for their new HQ is getting real out of hand...

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

My first actual thought was that this was racially motivated.

Because that's what white folks seem to do is bomb black folk.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

VH4Ever posted:

Ah, fair enough. I guess I meant releasing more than that, you said earlier some in the community say they know more about this than they're saying publicly? I was referring to whatever that was. I hate feeling out of the loop, I miss Austin a lot and still care what happens there.

oh sorry, i was referring to this:

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/973261310984179714

but i'm not sure anymore if this just refers to the 3rd bomb or more besides.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Doctor Butts posted:

My first actual thought was that this was racially motivated.

Because that's what white folks seem to do is bomb black folk.

Let's not jump to conclusions! Perhaps black folk in the area have manifested a kinetic charging power like Gambit

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Let's not jump to conclusions! Perhaps black folk in the area have manifested a kinetic charging power like Gambit

based on historic motivations behind hand delivered mail bombs (people killed on their front porch picking up or opening a mysterious package) it's almost certainly some kind of personal or family grudge

like it's possible it's a racist serial killer using bombs but like most murders it's not a stranger doing the killing

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Neurolimal posted:

Thats the thing though, the issues he's lovely on are ones that would be appealing to the voters. We're not talking wedge issues here.

E: just a heads up, impeachment doesnt mean "dems get the white house", it means "VP becomes president" and I genuinely consider Pence a worse candidate for the position.

Unless Pence is implicated- he was, after all, leading the transition team.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

OhDearGodNo posted:

Then it's President Paul Ryan. It's shitlords all the way down

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

OhDearGodNo posted:

I think the idea behind Pence's defense is he couldn't be implicated because while that whole shebang was going down he was loving up some young filly on one of his business trips. Plausible deniability, that sort of thing...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Then it's President Paul Ryan. It's shitlords all the way down

In any scenario where Trump is impeached Democrats would have the house

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

In any scenario where Trump is impeached Democrats would have the house

Like I said shitlords all the way down

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol

https://twitter.com/kathrynw5/status/973270998324793346?s=20

They shook

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

boner confessor posted:

based on historic motivations behind hand delivered mail bombs (people killed on their front porch picking up or opening a mysterious package) it's almost certainly some kind of personal or family grudge

like it's possible it's a racist serial killer using bombs but like most murders it's not a stranger doing the killing

Ted Cruz re-election campaign?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

It's true, they've had five Democratic representatives there! I mean, one of them came in between two Whigs and only two have been since 1900 ...

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doubling down on the same exact logic that led some people I have the misfortune to know to say "Alabama has always been a Blue State" when Doug Jones won.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lol

They shook

How can they print that quote and not immediately run down the list of reasons why it's bullshit? It's been held by a Republican for 16 years.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ague Proof posted:

Ted Cruz re-election campaign?

shockingly plausible

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Press briefing:

"Being nuclearized is a point of pride for North Korea, what makes you think they'd give that up?"

"That just shows how effective maximum pressure is!"

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
You'd have to be a moron to give up your nuclear weapons after what happened to Ukraine, Qaddafi, and Saddam.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ague Proof posted:

You'd have to be a moron to give up your nuclear weapons after what happened to Ukraine, Qaddafi, and Saddam.

Yea, they aren't giving up their nukes.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How can they print that quote and not immediately run down the list of reasons why it's bullshit? It's been held by a Republican for 16 years.

"The chairman of Pennsylvania’s Republican Party said Monday the special election in which Democrat Conor Lamb is running neck-and-neck with Republican Rick Saccone is in a “Democrat district,” even though it was represented by a Republican for more than a decade and President Donald Trump won it handily in 2016."
idk what your problem is

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

Ague Proof posted:

Doesn't China sitting on their north border and really not interested in a regime change work in N. Korea's favor though?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
No country is going to give up nukes irregardless of their leadership, that's been true for a really, really long time. Agreeing to a disarmament is essentially saying "sure, I'l happily give away this thing that guarantees that my country will never face an existential threat and also requires [relatively] little maintenance compared to a similarly powerful army"

It's basically a pipe dream that is coincidentally spearheaded by the country that would benefit the most from smaller countries not getting nukes.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Neurolimal posted:

No country is going to give up nukes irregardless of their leadership,

south africa did.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Neurolimal posted:

No country is going to give up nukes irregardless of their leadership, that's been true for a really, really long time. Agreeing to a disarmament is essentially saying "sure, I'l happily give away this thing that guarantees that my country will never face an existential threat and also requires [relatively] little maintenance compared to a similarly powerful army"

It's basically a pipe dream that is coincidentally spearheaded by the country that would benefit the most from smaller countries not getting nukes.

south africa did, but agreed that was a rare case

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Saladin Rising posted:

List of things Russia can get away with: messing with US elections, propping up separatists in many countries, propping up Assad, killing a guy with Polonium, attempted murder a guy with a nerve agent (maybe)

Things Russia can't get away with: using Russian mercenaries to attack a US Forward Operating Base in Syria

Don't forget a bunch of russians, trained and payed by the russian government, used a russian anti air weapon to blowing up a dutch airplane with nearly 300 people aboard. Not to mention almost a dozen deaths in UK already are suspected to be the work of the russian government.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

awesmoe posted:

"The chairman of Pennsylvania’s Republican Party said Monday the special election in which Democrat Conor Lamb is running neck-and-neck with Republican Rick Saccone is in a “Democrat district,” even though it was represented by a Republican for more than a decade and President Donald Trump won it handily in 2016."
idk what your problem is

I guess I'm just not paying a lot of attention and didn't draw that connection. It's weird that they debunked the quote before even giving the quote.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Press briefing:

"Being nuclearized is a point of pride for North Korea, what makes you think they'd give that up?"

"That just shows how effective maximum pressure is!"

"there's three ways to do things; the right way, the wrong way and the Max Pressure way!"

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Dang, when Trump gets obsessed with people he really turns up the creep factor.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/03/12/when-the-president-of-the-united-states-calls-you-a-son-of-a-bitch-217347

Susan Glassner posted:

Since Trump won the White House, Trump has blasted Todd publicly and privately — but often, at least in off-the-record settings, he has also seemed to be seeking his approval. That dynamic is eerily similar to the way Trump has treated another frequent target of his Twitter ire, the New York Times’ Maggie Haberman (and indeed, Trump on Sunday responded to a Haberman scoop by tweeting a blast at her as a “Hillary Flunky” who is not “given access,” despite his repeated calls and interviews with her).

“For a long time, he used to call me up and be upset because I wasn't taking the idea of him running for president seriously in 2011,” Todd said. “And we would have these half-hour conversations regularly, and I would sit there—and I remember one time with Savannah Guthrie and I, we, literally put him on mute, going, ‘Does he have other things to do but call?’”
I HATE YOU I HATE YOU please love me

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Ague Proof posted:

Obviously not this administration, but I'd be curious what a North Korean Budapest Memorandum looks like.

I'd almost suspect the other signatories would be more focused on the chemical weaponry than the nuclear.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Did he record those calls?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/andrewrush/status/973275113121550343?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Phobic Nest posted:

Dang, when Trump gets obsessed with people he really turns up the creep factor.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/03/12/when-the-president-of-the-united-states-calls-you-a-son-of-a-bitch-217347

I HATE YOU I HATE YOU please love me

He has the mental and emotional maturity of a 8 year old, so it's pretty unsurprising he acts the same as a kid being mean to a girl he secretly has a crush on

• Locked thread