Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Sundae posted:

I ended up with a 4.95% raise for the Outstanding performance rating. Woo. :grovertoot:

...and a $74,000+ bonus. :tviv:
I liked you better at J&J. :colbert:

(Congratulations!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I'm sorry Sundae but I'm going to have to put your name down with management for when the revolution comes. You have been a good poster, but sacrifices are necessary.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Remember that Sundae lives in the Bay Area so in normalbucks $74,000 works out to about $5,000 or so

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

kissekatt posted:

I liked you better at J&J. :colbert:

(Congratulations!)

(Thanks!) I actually wish I had more good stories to share that aren't actual feel-good stories. I have no workplace insanity to share anymore. :(

quote:

I'm sorry Sundae but I'm going to have to put your name down with management for when the revolution comes. You have been a good poster, but sacrifices are necessary.

Duly noted. I'll update my address on file so that you can locate me when the time comes. :thermidor:

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Blindeye posted:

Now you're just endzone dancing.

Good. Spike the ball while you're there man. May we all join you some day.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blindeye posted:

Now you're just endzone dancing.

Deservedly so.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sundae posted:

(Thanks!) I actually wish I had more good stories to share that aren't actual feel-good stories. I have no workplace insanity to share anymore. :(

That's the good kind of crazy !

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
Well, looks like I have to get back into the corporate world after a few years out for injury and illness.
Here's to hoping I'll be a new Sundae, not an old Sundae.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

I ended up with a 4.95% raise for the Outstanding performance rating. Woo. :grovertoot:

...and a $74,000+ bonus. :tviv:

Oh man I was coming here to say that when I asked for $15k raise today my boss said she already was trying and has a meeting with the CFO next Monday. I thought that was p slick.

(I doubt I'll get $15k but I'll get something)

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I got a 3% raise. :geno:

It was my first in two years.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I love spending 45 minutes tracking down which cell in the spreadsheet is pointing at the wrong cell

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Moving back and forth between this thread, the retail thread, the restaurant industry thread, and the teachers thread usually gives me whiplash.

I think Sundae's post just broke my neck.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Mar 13, 2018

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Shugojin posted:

I love spending 45 minutes tracking down which cell in the spreadsheet is pointing at the wrong cell
MOST FAVORITE THING EVAR! You should see some of the models I screw with all day...Some of them are so loving bad. Most of the ones I am responsible for are now pretty decent, but a couple of them are way too overly detailed and it makes cleaning the pipes a real bitch.

telarium4
Jul 23, 2010
I'm a month into a new job. Company is calling me on my personal cell 4-6 times a day for company-related business. I make a stink about it (I request a company phone) and I'm told that "I'm not a team player." Am I wrong here? I feel like I might be - I'm only a month in. Is this a 'pay your dues' situation?

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
I read through most of this thread over the span of probably a year and Sundae’s sudden escape from the 9th circle of hell always makes me hopeful!

In other new the unethical fucks I work with who I just dealt with on pushing me for fictional billing hours are now trying to crack and/or bypass the hardware dongle used in the licensing of our development software.

:discourse:

Maybe I’ll hear back from that pharma automation job in California soon :(

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SiGmA_X posted:

MOST FAVORITE THING EVAR! You should see some of the models I screw with all day...Some of them are so loving bad. Most of the ones I am responsible for are now pretty decent, but a couple of them are way too overly detailed and it makes cleaning the pipes a real bitch.

The fun part is it was only caught and diagnosed thanks to the check cells I made back when updating this jerk was my job every week

If you have to have big Excel sheets, build in check cells and then just label and hide them

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

telarium4 posted:

I'm a month into a new job. Company is calling me on my personal cell 4-6 times a day for company-related business. I make a stink about it (I request a company phone) and I'm told that "I'm not a team player." Am I wrong here? I feel like I might be - I'm only a month in. Is this a 'pay your dues' situation?

Kinda depends on the job level. If you're making 6 figures then roll with it. Otherwise just don't answer and they'll get the memo.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

telarium4 posted:

"Not a team player" is code for "you don't kowtow to me" by most managers who use it. You're not wrong unless there was a clear understanding that you'd be getting as much after-hours work as you have been before you agreed to the job. Personally I don't put up with that sort of thing without some kind of compensation (generally for me that comes in the form of making up the time another day - I don't mind being flexible with the company if they're flexible with me, up to a limit). Frankly I think 4-6 times a day is abject insanity if it's the majority of days.

That said, it's up to you how badly you need the job; this may be a severe lack of planning on your boss's/the company's part (bad enough) or a need by your boss to exert an extreme level of control over your life. If it's the latter defying him will only mark you out as the enemy, but my general advice for anyone if this is the case is to get the gently caress out as fast as you possibly can.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

telarium4 posted:

Sounds like a good time to change your personal cell #.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
"What do you mean I'm not answering my phone? Of course I don't take personal calls during work hours!"

telarium4
Jul 23, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

"Not a team player" is code for "you don't kowtow to me" by most managers who use it. You're not wrong unless there was a clear understanding that you'd be getting as much after-hours work as you have been before you agreed to the job. Personally I don't put up with that sort of thing without some kind of compensation (generally for me that comes in the form of making up the time another day - I don't mind being flexible with the company if they're flexible with me, up to a limit). Frankly I think 4-6 times a day is abject insanity if it's the majority of days.

That said, it's up to you how badly you need the job; this may be a severe lack of planning on your boss's/the company's part (bad enough) or a need by your boss to exert an extreme level of control over your life. If it's the latter defying him will only mark you out as the enemy, but my general advice for anyone if this is the case is to get the gently caress out as fast as you possibly can.

To be clear, this is mostly during work hours and rarely after work hours. (Though, since I'm salaried, the policy is seemingly all hours are work hours.) I knew going in that there would be a good bit of work, so I asked for a nice salary number and got it without a fight (probably should have negotiated for more, but that's a different thread). That's why I think I might be wrong asking for a cell phone - I should have asked for it at the beginning or done my due diligence about the company: knowing that I should have asked for a celly prior to my employment. It's not the biggest deals in the world, but my previous company strung me along about what they were going to get me 'when they got a chance'...After three years of asking for, minimally, a business card, I was basically told to shut up and be grateful that I had a job.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
There are a few ways you can go with this, and which one you pick depends heavily on your comfort level and feel for your department, which we can't really judge over the internet.

#1 - Shut off your ringer at work and answer them if you happen to see them, but otherwise catch them later. If asked about it, you shut off your personal phone while you're at work because it'd be unprofessional to be taking personal calls during the workday. (Depends on your delivery to not come across as snarky as hell.)

#2 - Take calls during work for a while, but start spacing them out and missing a few, and miss nearly all of the ones at home. You see, your phone doesn't have great service in the office and there's a great big dead spot in your apartment. Sorry, you just didn't see them. Do you guys have a company phone plan you could participate in? (As far as lies go, this one's pretty nice.)

#3 - [Para] "Don't call my personal phone because I'm not on an unlimited plan. We need to set up a desk phone or a work cell arrangement. This isn't negotiable." (This one is risky.)

#4 - Establish your home life boundaries and just ignore calls you don't care to answer. When asked, you didn't have your phone with you and were busy. Boundaries ahoy.

#5 - Suck it up and deal with it if you can't afford to lose the job / reference / burn career growth potentials this early in the job. We don't know your personal circumstances.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

For what it's worth it's pretty standard for a lot of employers to test you (in a lot of ways) during your first 6-12 months to see just what your limits are. They have a vested interest in getting as much work out of you as they can and thus a related interest in finding out just how much they can get.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
at least at my joint everyone uses their personal cell phone for work stuff

Do you have a desk phone? what's the situation there?

telarium4
Jul 23, 2010

Sundae posted:

#5 - Suck it up and deal with it if you can't afford to lose the job / reference / burn career growth potentials this early in the job. We don't know your personal circumstances.

This is probably where I'm at. As a poster mentioned above, it's probably a test. I'll just roll with it and deal for now.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

telarium4 posted:

To be clear, this is mostly during work hours and rarely after work hours. (Though, since I'm salaried, the policy is seemingly all hours are work hours.) I knew going in that there would be a good bit of work, so I asked for a nice salary number and got it without a fight (probably should have negotiated for more, but that's a different thread). That's why I think I might be wrong asking for a cell phone - I should have asked for it at the beginning or done my due diligence about the company: knowing that I should have asked for a celly prior to my employment. It's not the biggest deals in the world, but my previous company strung me along about what they were going to get me 'when they got a chance'...After three years of asking for, minimally, a business card, I was basically told to shut up and be grateful that I had a job.

Okay, that's a very different story, but you're still not what I'd call "wrong." My position is that the company needs to supply me with the tools I need to do the job, or compensate me if I'm bringing my own. If the company is expecting you to use your own cell phone plan for work without at least giving you some kind of monthly stipend, that's a worrying sign of dysfunction at your company. The fact that you were told "you're not being a team player" is another worrying sign, that's a pretty big gun for a manager to pull out over something as small as a phone issue. I'd probably be worried about the management being allergic to spending money - do they ask you to pirate software that you need to do your job, are your desks and chairs obviously cheap and/or old enough to be falling apart, anything like that?

That said, this probably isn't a hill worth dying on, on its own. It might be the tip of a much larger iceberg and it's worth keeping an eye out for bigger issues, but it could simply be an isolated quirk of someone at the company.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My office mate and I will inevitably wear the same outfit once a week and it bothers me way more than it should, especially today when we are nearly identical matches to each other. Time to update my work wardrobe I guess?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 24, 2020

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
gently caress that, start coordinating it and make matching name tags. Pushme/Pullyu, Tweedledee/Tweedledum...

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I've been supporting someone who doesn't know really the basic tenets of sourcing on a fairly complicated project. As a thank you, they want to make him the lead of the most complicated project possible and set me up to support him again, despite me consistently updating the leads from both companies (merger) that he is incapable and providing supporting evidence.

I believe this is where I refuse to lend any additional support and let them fall on their faces because gently caress you if you think I'm going to do 300% more work than necessary for this to explain to an idiot how a distributor's cost model varies from a manufacturer's, while currently doing my ACTUAL job, my bosses job and supporting 7 (SEVEN) other teams for this merger.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Sounds like their assumption is that you're going to do the work while their favored guy gets the credit.

Refusing will probably be the beginning of the end of your time there, so it's up to you whether you're ready to go there. It's notable that even if your current employer refuses to give you credit for the work you do, you can still take credit for it on your resume for prospective employers!

e: If this is really true:

No Butt Stuff posted:

while currently doing my ACTUAL job, my bosses job and supporting 7 (SEVEN) other teams for this merger.

then your managers already view you as the guy who's willing to do everyone else's job and is too timid to say gently caress you or leave. A very valuable person to have on any team!

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 13, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
No Butt Stuff, I’ve been in your position and you need to :yotj: out of there ASAP before you burn out.

You might also find out you’re ridiculously under paid, so keep that in mind during the job search you’re starting tonight.

Edit: for reference, I got shown the door and the lump I was carrying got promoted.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My boss is on paternity leave, so when he gets back this would actually stop.

I've got my resume updated, and I've already been looking, because while I can see a future on this team, if the leadership blatantly wants to look the other way while assigning what is clearly the most complicated aspect (AND DEFINITELY NOT GOING TO BE THIS GUYS JOB post merger) of all of this, then it's not going to be better soon. I'll speak to the VP about it this afternoon anyway. She may not be aware of what's going on and idgaf if I make the director or manager (neither of whom I report through) upset.

Either way, I'm not supporting him on anything complicated again.

I am currently explaining warranty structure and the difference between freight and distribution to him.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
What are you hoping the VP will do?

It’s been my experience that when people think that there’s no way an executive supports some stupid poo poo and they must be unaware of it, they’re often wrong - the executive is aware of it and supports the stupid poo poo.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I have one on one's with the vp. We have specifically discussed this guy as well as our strategy in the category that it looks like he's about to be assigned. She's made it clear that she doesn't want him near it.

Maybe she will do nothing. I dunno. I'm done loving talking to the guy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

So whose nephew is he?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I have literally no idea. I think he's just been with the other company for so long that they've all deferred to his "wisdom" and now are all scared they'll look dumb if they don't back him.

I cannot, for the life of me figure this out, but it is making me irrationally angry and I'm going to just bow out and tell them I won't be supporting anything with him associated with it at this point because it's going to burn me out.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

telarium4 posted:

Also, no paper trail for the info/requests over your own phone. Which can be the difference between covering your rear end and them making whatever poo poo up they want.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

C-Euro posted:

My office mate and I will inevitably wear the same outfit once a week and it bothers me way more than it should, especially today when we are nearly identical matches to each other. Time to update my work wardrobe I guess?
Just accept that you are forming a nascent hive mind with your coworkers. Last week we had four people wear the exact same outfit on the same day. It was kind of amazing.

Fake edit: someone just walked by dressed exactly as me as I was typing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Yawgmoth posted:

Fake edit: someone just walked by dressed exactly as me as I was typing this.

Storm troopers have such a tough time reintegrating into the civilian world.