Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

achtungnight posted:

Ah, I see. I have played Diablo 3 and Warcraft 1-3, also StarCraft 1 and 2, but I'm not sure if I have a Blizzard tag or what it is if I do. I probably do have one somewhere- I have played Diablo 3 with every class but Necromancer (game was too boring for me when that expansion came out, oh well)- I just couldn't tell you what it is. Sorry.

Open up your Battle.net Launcher and sign in. On the top right corner, there'll be a little bar with three buttons; one with your account name, one with a camera, and one with two people and a number on it. The one with your account name opens up a drop down menu that lets you manage your online status and account, and will have your full battletag listed as [Name#numbers].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Thanks. I sold my Diablo 3 copy, so I don't currently have a Battlenet launcher or any Blizzard games. I still remain a Warcraft fan, though. You guys have fun with your WoW playing. I hope DN makes it back to update the thread soon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

achtungnight posted:

Thanks. I sold my Diablo 3 copy, so I don't currently have a Battlenet launcher or any Blizzard games. I still remain a Warcraft fan, though. You guys have fun with your WoW playing. I hope DN makes it back to update the thread soon.

Starcraft 2 and the Terran campaign, plus the first three commanders in co-op, are free to play incidentally.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Chapter XIII: Frostmourne & Arthas' Homecoming

Hello everyone and welcome to the final update for the Human campaign. This is mission 9 Frostmourne, and we're about to attack Mal'Ganis' base outside of Drak'Tharon Keep. We are now firmly in the Grizzly Hills, a gorgeous boreal forest in southeastern Northrend.

Drak'Tharon Keep is actually a Drakkari stronghold, but Mal'Ganis seems to have taken it from them.

The mission starts us out in perhaps the largest base we've seen yet. It's fully mature with every building, including a new one, already built. In fact, you can see the new unit a gryphon rider, in the middle of the screenshot.

This is presumably Arthas' base that he ordered built from the end of Chapter XI, The Shores of Northrend.

: You lied to your men and betrayed the mercenaries who fought for you. What's happening to you, Arthas? Is vengeance all that's important to you?
: Spare me, Muradin. You weren't there to see what Mal'Ganis did to my homeland.

: There's still one chance. Help me claim Frostmourne! If it's as powerful as you said, it might tilt the scales of our favor!
: I have a bad feeling about this, lad. But I promised I'd see this through.

: Captain, I'll leave you to organize our defenses. Lets move out.

This is the Waygate that Muradin mentioned previously. I assume this was meant to be a longer journey than 30 seconds down the road.

The game starts us with Arthas' group front and center, but unlike the previous mission, we still have control over the base. So we'll just let them chill for the time being. We have work to do in the base.

: Captain Falric, we've finished building the Aviary to the dwarves' specifications. We should be able to train gryphon riders if need be.
: Perfect. Now we just need to hold out until Arthas returns.

This is actually one of the easiest missions in the campaign. The game starts us with enough units that we could conceivably take the fight to Mal'Ganis and we'd probably win. We actually start at 65/90 food used. When I said this base was fully mature, I wasn't joking. The only thing we need to do is just buy upgrades and wait.

The Aviary has a single upgrade, which makes the gryphon rider attacks cleave. We only have a single rider, but no reason not to grab this. Really the only way that this base is deficient is in the number of workers. We only have 3 peasants on the gold mine, and a single one on trees. But once we correct that to 5 and 4 respectively, we're good for the whole rest of the mission.

: The undead come! To arms!

About a minute or so into the mission, the first attack comes. The base has three exits, northwest, northeast, and southeast. Mal'Ganis' base attacks the two northern exits at the same time. But the troops stationed there are more than enough to repel the attack. Especially with the wave of upgrades coming in. This is the hardest the mission gets, and they didn't even bring catapults.

So with the base taken care of indefinitely, let's take Arthas on his mystical journey.

The vault that Frostmourne is hidden in is full of wolves.

Wolves with good poo poo, though. Even here in the last mission, we're still getting powerful upgrades.

The next wolf tries to lead Arthas into a trap, but just holding back is enough to put a stop to that.

And here's the trap the wolf tried to lead us into. Even if we fell for it, we'd have been fine. Like I said, this is not a hard mission at all.

Another wolf drops this. It increases a hero's HP by 150!

These don't show up very often at all, but this restores mana like the blue version restores HP.

Just north of the mana fountain, we find some yeti who have made the cave their home.

Lots of rewards in this cave!

Past the yetis we find a random graveyard.

A random graveyard with a bunch of undead. I get the feeling that this vault doesn't want us to get to Frostmourne.

They should have tried harder. We only lost a single rifleman, and that was because he got possessed by one of the ghosts.

: Turn back, mortals. Death and darkness are all that await you in this forsaken vault.
: I doubt there is anything down here more terrifying than what we've faced already.
: Believe what you will, boy. You shall not pass.

The Guardian attacks us once he finishes lecturing Arthas. He's level 10 and comes with several friends, but it's all nothing we can't handle at this point.

: Turn away... before it's... too late.
: Still trying to protect the sword, are you?
: No... trying to protect you... from it.

: Hold lad, There is an inscription on the dais. It's a warning. It says, "Whomsoever takes up this blade shall wield power eternal. Just as the blade rends flesh, so must power scar the spirit." Oh, I should've known. The blade is cursed! Let's get the hell out of here!

: Leave it be, Arthas. Forget this business and lead your men home.

: Muradin is dead. But take heart, Captain. The enemy will not stand long against the might of Frostmourne!

Killing the Guardian gave Arthas enough XP to level up for the final time. So he's now level 10. And if you look at his damage, you might see something strange.

That green icon means that Arthas is now super powered.

If I'm not mistaken, Chaos damage deals full damage to everything. Buildings and units included. Arthas is now something of a force of nature. The rest of this mission is just a formality. All we need to do is now march our overpowered hero unit into Mal'Ganis' base and lay waste to it. And what a coincidence, because we have enough units to do just that.

The game is nice enough to put Muradin's stuff in the base for us. So we have our pick of all of his nice stuff in case we want to make Arthas just that much stronger.

: Thassarian, give me a status report.
: Everything's fine, Prince Arthas. The undead have sent a few probing attacks, but nothing we couldn't handle. Captain Falric saw the first wave and panicked. But the men beat them back with no troubles at all. All in all, it's been extremely quiet since you left.
: Start preparing the men for the final attack on Mal'Ganis' base.
: Yes sir!

It seems there's also a purple undead base out there. So let's go pay them a little visit first.

: I'm taking the men out to find where Mal'Ganis is hiding. Thassarian, you have command while I'm gone.

Due east of the base is some blighted ground. We know the green base is to the far northeast, so...

Yep, the purple base. Taking these jerks out will cut in half the number of attacks on our base.

While taking the base out is a good idea anyway, if you somehow need more resources, it's right there and barely guarded.

North of the purple base, and northeast of our base, we find a mercenary camp. We lost a couple dudes attacking the purple base, so why not replenish our ranks?

Troll berserkers are always welcome, and let's take a revenant for the hell of it.

Right next to the merc camp, we spy the next attack wave from the green base. So let's gently caress 'em up!

Another barely guarded gold mine can be found just north of the base.

And a third lightly guarded gold mine can be found on this map just north of the northwest entrance of the base. Although if you're using that much gold, I have questions for you. I love turtling up until my perfect attack force is ready, and even I am being aggressive on this map. There's no reason to need that much gold outside of hard mode.

North of the purple base there's also a goblin merchant, in case you don't have enough items. But that's enough poking around. Let's end this.

: I found Mal'Ganis' base. He's hiding in an old Troll fortress. If you have any men to spare, send them in. I'm going to need as many hands as possible.
: I took the liberty of requisitioning some steam tanks. I'll send them along, as well as an honor guard.

That's four siege units (two steam tanks and two mortar teams) backed up by 19 others and Arthas. Yeah, I'm at 82/90 with only 2 full groups.

It's not so much an rear end kicking as it is a massacre.

: Greetings young prince... I... Oh that's not good.

: Burn it all to the ground! Let nothing remain! This is for your homeland! FOR LORDAERON!

: There's an undead dragon to the south!
: It will fall like the rest! The Light is with us!

What we did to that base wasn't remotely fair. We hosed Mal'Ganis up and hard.

: You waste your breath Mal'Ganis. I heed only the voice of Frostmourne now.
: You hear the voice of the Dark Lord. He whispers to you through the blade you wield... What does he say, young human? What does the Dark Lord of the Dead tell you now?

: It is finished.

Arthas' Homecoming ***WATCH THIS CINEMATIC IT'S ONE OF THE BEST BLIZZARD EVER DID***

I'm going to be pretty quiet through this. Just going to be describing what's happening. I'll see you all next time when we start the second campaign.

Bells are ringing...

The drawbridge drops...

And there's a huge parade. Everyone is cheering. Prince Arthas is home, and he's victorious.

He throws the flower petal away.

Arthas ain't looking too hot. He must have caught a cold or something in Northrend...

Did he always have skulls on his knees?

: Ah, my son. I knew you would be victorious...

: You no longer need to sacrifice for your people. You no longer need to bear the weight of your crown. I've taken care of everything.

His two helpers spread out, while Arthas marches up to the throne.

: What is this? What are you doing my son?

: Succeeding you, father.

: This kingdom shall fall! And from the ashes shall arise a new order, that will shake the very foundations of the world!

NEXT TIME: Trudging Through the Ashes

POsibr
Nov 14, 2017

These go to eleven, Keith.
Caught up with the thread just in time for one of the best cutscenes. drat, son, even just looking at the screenshots sent shivers down my spine.

On a related note, I remember my first time playing the Alliance campaign on Hard. I certainly did not find the mission as easy as you did. Hah, I recall barely finishing it. With just Arthas left of my army, destroying all the Undead essential buildings by himself, just as their murderball swallowed my base. Chaos damage is insane.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

DoubleNegative posted:

Did he always have skulls on his knees?

: Are we the bad guys?

Yes, Arthas. Yes, you are.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's something about Blizzard's cutscenes that makes them age well. I wouldn't have guessed that this was a game cutscene from 2002. Also...

: I am become death, destroyer of worlds.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
You've alienated your mentor and your former lover.
You've slaughtered hundreds of innocents.
You've betrayed the men who swore loyalty to you.
You've betrayed the mercenaries you hired to help you betray those men.
You've sacrificed the life of an old friend to claim a cursed relic.
You've sold your soul into damnation for revenge.
You've murdered your father at the behest of your new master.

Do you feel like a hero yet?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ah, that cutscene’s ok, but I still prefer the end of the Orc campaign from WC2. “Guards....” :D This marked the point where I put my judgement on hold when playing and told myself- “Fine, it’s Blizzard’s story I’m playing out. They want to ruin how I see the morals of the Humans, I guess they can.” In retrospect, it’s not surprising I didn’t play this game much after the first time through. If I’m to be led through a story I need to enjoy it to make the journey regularly. Not saying it ain’t a good story, it is. But there are things about it I don’t enjoy, in part because I didn’t really fully understand them first time through. I better understand them now, but still... I will still enjoy the LP, don’t get me wrong. Especially with us about to get into the Army that attracted me to this game in the first place. But after this scene, and all Arthas did, I no longer felt Heroic playing as Alliance. I sometimes think that WC3 might have been more interesting to me in the long term- and more fun in the short- if they had kept the mutually exclusive campaign plots of previous Warcraft games.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 12, 2018

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
So are revenants being hirable supposed to show how he is undead post-frostmourne? You need to have hero units at the shop to use it right? So you shouldn't be able to hire mercenaries until you find the sword.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Epicmissingno posted:

: Are we the bad guys?

Yes, Arthas. Yes, you are.

It's more like this:

: Arthas, why are you wearing skulls on your knees? Are you a badd-

*stab*

: As a matter of fact, yes I am.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Chaos damage is neat but it doesn't really matter unless you're trying to smash buildings. :v:

lobster22221 posted:

So are revenants being hirable supposed to show how he is undead post-frostmourne? You need to have hero units at the shop to use it right? So you shouldn't be able to hire mercenaries until you find the sword.
Not sure but in the expansion any unit, or building, can hire mercenaries.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
There's also the "divine" armor which has a 99% damage reduction against non-chaos damage. It matters very much in that case.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

POsibr posted:

Caught up with the thread just in time for one of the best cutscenes. drat, son, even just looking at the screenshots sent shivers down my spine.

On a related note, I remember my first time playing the Alliance campaign on Hard. I certainly did not find the mission as easy as you did. Hah, I recall barely finishing it. With just Arthas left of my army, destroying all the Undead essential buildings by himself, just as their murderball swallowed my base. Chaos damage is insane.

I mean, even on hard arthas is still so bonkers broken that he can wander over and solo the purple base leaving everything else to the defense. Ridiculous chaos damage combined with rank 3 divine shield and devotion aura means he can just wander in and wreck the place.

e:

General Revil posted:

: I am become death knight, destroyer of worlds.

Fixed.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 12, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
And so we come to the end of Arthas's descent into evil. I was 18 when I first played this game and this was the first time I ever found a fantasy story that broke from convention by making the main human character be the bad guy. I was really enamored with the story when I first played it and WC3 is still one of my favourite games because of this. Arthas's journey is so well laid out with each mission taking him that next step closer to the fall. It's such a logical progression with all of his mistakes being really well set up for in advance. And that cinematic is amazing.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, even on hard arthas is still so bonkers broken that he can wander over and solo the purple base leaving everything else to the defense. Ridiculous chaos damage combined with rank 3 divine shield and devotion aura means he can just wander in and wreck the place.

The only thing that remotely slows him down is the inability to heal himself.

Poil posted:

Not sure but in the expansion any unit, or building, can hire mercenaries.

Wait, buildings could as well? I never knew that.

lobster22221 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 12, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's really hard to reconcile Drak'Tharon Keep of this game with it's WoW equivalent.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Spoilers, man! :v:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

lobster22221 posted:

The only thing that remotely slows him down is the inability to heal himself.

Wait, buildings could as well? I never knew that.

Well, that and Frost Wyrms. Orbs didn't have the "attack air units" feature in the original campaigns; he has to use Holy Light to gradually take them out.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

One thing that hasn't come up yet is just how satisfying the in-game cutscene after this mission is. Malganis spends the whole campaign manipulating and puppet mastering Arthas to his downfall. But then, right when he's gloating over his victory "the dark master" stabs him in the back and arthas shanks him mid line because the voices in his head told him to*.

*And also because Arthas really, really wanted to, but the voices didn't hurt.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Dr. Snark posted:

It's more like this:

: My son had gone fighting undead and he returned completely changed. He wears black armor with skulls on it and covers his head with black hood. He is deathly pale and his hair had gone completely white. Arthas... are you... [incomprehensible]

*stab*

:I AM NOT A GOTH!!!

ftfy

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

gently caress this entire sequence has aged so incredibly well.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Yep, still holds up just as well as my memory had it! God, Blizzard cinematics are gorgeous.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
So awesome. So very awesome!

So, I can't find any dialogue for the Nerubian or Revenant mercenaries. So, this will only include the last of our Human Campaign units, the Gryphon Rider.
Line time!

Ready lines are used by units when they're produced.

What lines are used when they're initially selected.

Yes lines are used when they're given a move order.

Attack lines are used when they're given an attack order.

Warcry is used randomly for Attack when attacking hero characters. (Thanks to Drakenel for the correction)

Pissed is what you get when you keep clicking a unit and it exhausts the What lines.

Special is for builder units, and for certain special units, e.g. Uther, who is an AI-controlled character.

Gryphon Rider:

Ready
  • It's hammer time!

What
  • Ya can count on me.
  • Aye, sir?
  • I'm your dwarf.
  • I'll do what it takes.
  • Ach?

Yes
  • Ach, count me in.
  • You're the boss.
  • Nay problem.
  • That's great.
  • To the skies!

Attack
  • Death comes for ye.
  • For victory!
  • By Muradin's beard!

Warcry
  • For Khaz Modan!

Pissed
  • Judge me by my size, do you? (Yoda's line from Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back)
  • It's not the size of the hammer that counts, it's how ye wield it!
  • Someone gave me the bird!" (pun)
  • This Warhammer cost me 40k!" (Reference to Warhammer 40,000)
  • Half of this beast is endangered, but the other half is danger!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Rarity posted:

And so we come to the end of Arthas's descent into evil. I was 18 when I first played this game and this was the first time I ever found a fantasy story that broke from convention by making the main human character be the bad guy. I was really enamored with the story when I first played it and WC3 is still one of my favourite games because of this. Arthas's journey is so well laid out with each mission taking him that next step closer to the fall. It's such a logical progression with all of his mistakes being really well set up for in advance. And that cinematic is amazing.

Did you play StarCraft around the same time as well? I think it is fair to say that a good portion of the expansion has you playing as a bad guy

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Love that cutscene.

But I do not get a lot of this. He kills Mal’Ganis and goes mad. Then he heads home. Presumably he does not have an Alliance army anymore. He comes home and tells someone they won. They throw a huge celebration all procession when Arthas lost the whole expedition? Terenas seems confused and does not ask any questions when his son walks in like what happened to the army I sent a recall order to? Why did you defy Uther? Where is Jaina who I sent with you? Why did you wipe out a whole city? Why are you not holding the hammer of the Paladin and have a glowing skull sword instead. Instead just “My son....”. I know, probably would have ruined the moment.....

There are a few other points. The Lich King wanted Arthas to claim the sword. He worked with Mal’Ganis to draw Arthas to the sword. That makes sense. Then how did Muradin hear of Frostmourne? Was the rumor of a rune blade a backup plan in case Mal’Ganis could not enrage Arthas to pursue? And who put the guardians of Frostmourne in place. They had the revenant thing say he was trying to keep Arthas from getting the sword too protect him. Where did they come from? The Lich King wants Arthas to get the blade so he would not put the guardians there. Also, why did claiming the blade kill Muradin? As a kid I thought the broken ice hit Muradin and killed him. I doubt that explanation now. Did Arthas deliberately kill him or just promise anything and the blade took Muradin because it saw Muradin as a threat to the conversion of Arthas?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Basically, Arthas' killed Mal'ganis, and, according to the newest snippets of the upcoming Chronicles Vol. 3 book, the undead went into hiding, and everyone thought that Arthas managed to take down the undead threat. Arthas came back home to a hero's welcome, and to a father who was worried sick. Arthas' came back with an army, every last one of them wearing either heavy, disguising plate, or hoods. Then Arthas struck, killed dear old dad, and his army started mauling everyone in the city, because they were actually zombies under Arthas' command.

The broken Ice was what took Muradin down.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Drak'tharon is contested between trolls and Scourge in WoW, it's not too much of a stretch that Mal'ganis holds it in Warcraft 3, the Scourge loses control of it due to his defeat, it gets recaptured by troll forces from Zul'drak and Drakuruu and Novos have almost finished taking it back for the Scourge in WoW.

Also troll architecture best architecture, more places need to be retconned to being troll cities/castles.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Xenocides posted:

They throw a huge celebration all procession when Arthas lost the whole expedition? Terenas seems confused and does not ask any questions when his son walks in like what happened to the army I sent a recall order to? Why did you defy Uther? Where is Jaina who I sent with you? Why did you wipe out a whole city? Why are you not holding the hammer of the Paladin and have a glowing skull sword instead. Instead just "My son....". I know, probably would have ruined the moment.....
He had assumed his son was dead in an unmarked grave in that frozen craphole. But out of the blue, unexpectedly he emerged (apparently) victorious...it's pretty reasonable that Terenas was so focused on Arthas being shockingly alive that he was willing to overlook a lot of oddities.

The prodigal son who I thought lost has returned... :catholic:

quote:

There are a few other points. The Lich King wanted Arthas to claim the sword. He worked with Mal'Ganis to draw Arthas to the sword. That makes sense. Then how did Muradin hear of Frostmourne? Was the rumor of a rune blade a backup plan in case Mal'Ganis could not enrage Arthas to pursue?
Muradin needed to be there to tell Arthas about the blade, since Arthas would have no real other way of hearing about it. Given that Muradin is just as impulsive/naive as Arthas, he makes a perfect catspaw - trusted enough by Arthas to be believed, foolish enough to go running after a vague legend (likely planted by Mal'ganis or Kel'thuzad, though this is never stated anywhere AFAIK), good enough to survive till Arthas arrived...but not quite talented enough to screw things up by actually claiming the blade himself before Arthas could.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And of course WoW has subsequently retconned events so Muradin didn't actually die. He woke up a few minutes after Arthas ran off, with nothing but a temporary case of amnesia to his troubles.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Back when I played WoW you could enter the city the same way Arthas did and hear the ghostly sounds from the cinematic. But I have a memory of it somehow having one bit in the wrong order (maybe the tower thing with the bells). Also the throne room was the main entrance to the city sewers, because of course it is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Poil posted:

Back when I played WoW you could enter the city the same way Arthas did and hear the ghostly sounds from the cinematic. But I have a memory of it somehow having one bit in the wrong order (maybe the tower thing with the bells). Also the throne room was the main entrance to the city sewers, because of course it is.

That was officially a thing WoW added, though, when creating the whole concept of the Undercity - that it's never seen or talked about in WC3, but according to WoW, Arthas spent a lot of time here in Lordaeron purging, excavating, and fortifying the capital before the events of the next campaign kick off.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I am in the minority of hating the human plot of this game.

I know for the plot, this has to happen first but after playing years of Blizzard games, I found the whole human turns on his people thing a bit tired when I first played. And knowing my Warcraft lore its also doubles as humans are so known that we have to introduce the other races as so badass/evil that humanity gets shafted (again!). Like in Diablo 1, Warcraft, Starcraft and Broodwar. To me it a bit reeks of developers liking the other creations more so than the human characters.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I agree with Moose here. I’m also disappointed that apparently someone thought that inserting and playing up Thrall as the Noble Orc also meant denigrating the formerly Noble Humans. Yes, I know realistically all Heroes should have flaws. It’s still fun playing the ideal Hero sometimes though. I don’t like Nazi Captain America or ‘Superior’ Spider-Man either. But I’ll accept the majority feels otherwise if I must.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Humans are boring.

Also: you were never meant to sympathize with Nazi Cap.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Nazi cap and Superior Spider-Man were bad.

Arthas rules and his story is so much better then a lovely heroic humans plot.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Well Arthas was kind of a poopyhead, wasn't he?

It's not like the Alliance doesn't have ideal heroes, just that Arthas isn't one of them. Besides, heroic generic fantasy human hero is kinda overdone.

Unfortunately Blizzard agrees and decides every one of their games should break this mold and have previously-heroic humans turn bad, so welp.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

achtungnight posted:

I agree with Moose here. I’m also disappointed that apparently someone thought that inserting and playing up Thrall as the Noble Orc also meant denigrating the formerly Noble Humans. Yes, I know realistically all Heroes should have flaws. It’s still fun playing the ideal Hero sometimes though. I don’t like Nazi Captain America or ‘Superior’ Spider-Man either. But I’ll accept the majority feels otherwise if I must.

I mean, Arthas is not a Hero. That's in fact the entire point. In any case it's not so much that playing up Thrall as the Noble Orc means denigrating the formerly Noble Humans, because we've seen at least 3 noble and just humans in this story. Uther, Jaina and King Terenas are all good people.

Arthas becomes a monster, but it's only Arthas and those he leads/forces to follow him that become so. The majority of the named humans in this story are still good people who rightly recognise Arthas is going down a dark path, Jaina/Uther, or a beloved King who believed his son had gone to die but instead found him victorious.

If you want good and noble humans we have like, 4 of them throughout WoW. Varian who is basically a good guy when he gets his head out of his rear end, Tirion and Bolvar who are awesome and good people, Turalyon who is the paladin from Warcraft 2 and showed up in Legion again. The number of good and noble humans is in fact excessive, it's just they also have a lot of villains and in Warcraft 3 they specifically wanted you to play through the story of Arthas, who is probably one of the single most awful people in the setting.

Heck, Anduin Wrynn is probably the closest thing WoW has to a "protagonist" and he's King as of Legion/Battle for Azeroth and is a truly amazing person who is 100% heroic.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 13, 2018

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

MagusofStars posted:

Muradin needed to be there to tell Arthas about the blade, since Arthas would have no real other way of hearing about it. Given that Muradin is just as impulsive/naive as Arthas, he makes a perfect catspaw - trusted enough by Arthas to be believed, foolish enough to go running after a vague legend (likely planted by Mal'ganis or Kel'thuzad, though this is never stated anywhere AFAIK), good enough to survive till Arthas arrived...but not quite talented enough to screw things up by actually claiming the blade himself before Arthas could.

I imagine that the rumours were planted by Kel'thuzad on the orders of Ner'zhul because the fucker is one of the biggest evil masterminds in Azerothian history and would plan out each aspect of this plan. Also I'm guessing that the blade would not have responded to someone who isn't a worthy vessel for Ner'zhul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
So now that Arthas has gone bad, what happened to Thassarian? Or would that be spoilers for events in the other campaigns?

• Locked thread