Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Skwirl posted:

Canada had internment camps too?

Sure did. Implemented under the War Measures Act, and caused the displacement of Japanese-Canadian WW1 veterans. We learn about that in Grade 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

RareAcumen posted:

Why does everyone hate their childhood so much?

Full of self-loathing, which is really sad.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dissss posted:

So the same as anywhere else that got colonised then?

Not many places did (if you count by area).

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Skwirl posted:

My schools were decent about not glossing over America's crimes. Knew about internment, Trail of Tears, Wounded Knee, pox ridden blankets, Emmett Till (I think they showed us the picture of his body when I was like 10).

Yep. There were some around the region I go hiking a lot. They held other POWs there too. Some of the buildings are still standing.

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/m/article/prisoner-of-war-camps-in-canada/

There was also a cave carved out of the side of a mountain as a plan to store important documents and things if the Cold War got really ugly. Now it's a popular half day hike.

http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Cold-War-Bunker-Heart-Creek-near-Canmore-AB-3038

SulfurMonoxideCute has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Mar 12, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Skwirl posted:

Japanese internment camps in WW2, mass persecution of Ukranians and eastern Europeans during WW1. And those are just the official internment camps.

When the railroad was being made, thousands of Chinese workers were brought in to blast holes through the mountains, and lived in appalling work camps while the white guys got the photo ops for driving home the last spike.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Don't forget residential schools. Canada was just as horrible as anyone else, if not worse.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Elysiume posted:

Every single time.

I feel as though I should hit that "hide child replies" option.

Jerry Cotton posted:

On a conceptual level (i.e. the entire history of the USA is literally ONLY genocide and oppression) yes.
historyofcivilization.txt

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Picnic Princess posted:

Don't forget residential schools. Canada was just as horrible as anyone else, if not worse.

Sorry.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Come to think of it, I know I learned about Riel in high school but I think I learned about residential schools from CBC.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Prism posted:

That's true for every skilled job. It's also very common with doctor and engineer.
Also unskilled jobs. And every other category of person.

What's dumb about this?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tiggum posted:

Also unskilled jobs. And every other category of person.

Plenty of say, truck drivers, have really dumb opinions, but they don't use that as a reason to believe them. They'll say something like "If you watch this guys youtube video you'll see why you don't have to pay income tax," not, "As a truck driver I'm intimately familiar with tax law and maritime flags."

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Skwirl posted:

Plenty of say, truck drivers, have really dumb opinions, but they don't use that as a reason to believe them. They'll say something like "If you watch this guys youtube video you'll see why you don't have to pay income tax," not, "As a truck driver I'm intimately familiar with tax law and maritime flags."

Yeah, that. Meanwhile, people with jobs that require a lot of education (or who are in education) use it as an example to show how smart they are, as if being a highly educated and talented neurosurgeon made you an expert economist or something.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tiggum posted:

What's dumb about this?

All of those countries aren't "bound together by a dream of liberty" they're "bound together by being raped and pillaged for centuries by tea-drinking bad-teeth-havers"

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Tiggum posted:

What's dumb about this?

Go see Black Panther.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Prism posted:

Yeah, that. Meanwhile, people with jobs that require a lot of education (or who are in education) use it as an example to show how smart they are, as if being a highly educated and talented neurosurgeon made you an expert economist or something.

Don't be silly, being a talented neurosurgeon makes you an expert on urban housing.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

RoboRodent posted:

Come to think of it, I know I learned about Riel in high school but I think I learned about residential schools from CBC.

I graduated high school 3 years after the last school was closed. I had never even heard about them until years later when the government formally apologized.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Skwirl posted:

Don't be silly, being a talented neurosurgeon makes you an expert on urban housing.

The tax plan came first.

But yes, exactly.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Picnic Princess posted:

I graduated high school 3 years after the last school was closed. I had never even heard about them until years later when the government formally apologized.

I find it hard to believe it took Canadians any length of time to apologize about anything ever

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Skwirl posted:

Did he get that job because he's a doctor, or because he is black? Everyone knows blacks are experts on urban.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

oldpainless posted:

I find it hard to believe it took Canadians any length of time to apologize about anything ever

Canadians only apologize to someone if they view them as a person. Which did not include native Canadians until very recently.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Did he get that job because he's a doctor, or because he is black? Everyone knows blacks are experts on urban.

I'm almost positive he got the job because Trump promised him a cabinet position first and then when it came time to pick one Trump saw the word urban and said, "yeah, that'll do."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Who What Now posted:

Canadians only apologize to someone if they view them as a person. Which did not include native Canadians until very recently.

Sometimes we apologise to ATMs though.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Who What Now posted:

This, sadly.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

RoboRodent posted:

This, sadly.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

What I do very clearly remember was the racists getting extremely upset by the apology. And that was when the federal government was conservative.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

how dare the new york times give this incredibly fake quote that is currently going viral on imgur

QuoProQuid has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Mar 12, 2018

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

QuoProQuid posted:

how dare the new york times give this incredibly fake quote that is currently going viral on imgur

...to inspire woman. Clearly a real quote.

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

QuoProQuid posted:

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Picnic Princess posted:

And hey, let's not forget starlight tours, because the polite Canadian way for police to murder oppressed minorities is not to shoot them (most of the time), but to cart them to the edge of town and let them die from exposure :canada:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Not many places did (if you count by area).

Yeah Canada, India and Australia are all tiny

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I forget at which point but I just cannot browse Imgur anymore. I used to at least enjoy it a little bit for the cute animal photos or "Satisfying Gifs" but every god drat thing either is bullshit or contains some bullshit. Like a meme dump that just has a transphobic joke or something in the middle of it. Like it's all too clear now the active userbase of Imgur is the exact type of person that would cry about feminism ruining their videogames.

Also all the Elon Musk worship.

Ularg has a new favorite as of 23:12 on Mar 12, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

HappyKitty posted:

And hey, let's not forget starlight tours, because the polite Canadian way for police to murder oppressed minorities is not to shoot them (most of the time), but to cart them to the edge of town and let them die from exposure :canada:

I had to look that up, and jesus, where you people fall behind the US in volume of racially motivated police violence, you sure make up in style.

Edit: For content, here's a grammar joke
https://twitter.com/SortaBad/status/968010454738944001

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

HappyKitty posted:

Please, it's not the edge of town. Too likely they would find their way back. You dump them a couple dozen clicks outside of town, on a country road.

Also, holy poo poo the number of native women missing. It always blows my mind. Highway of Tears.

Uh, this isn't the unnerving thread. Sorry.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

QuoProQuid posted:

Love that their counterexample is a film that's over 30 years old.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
It's still good.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Plom Bar posted:

Love that their counterexample is a film that's over 30 years old.
The (fake) quote said "first," so it makes sense that they'd pick an older movie. Not to say that it isn't dumb, or that anyone who bought into it isn't dumb too.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Wonder woman got idiots going "No look at all these other female protags YOU AINT SPECIAL" and Black Panther was "LOOK AT ALL THESE OTHER BLACK PEOPLE BEFORE YOU" then went back to complaining about women and poc in their videogames.

Because there seems to be this thought that if they can prove that "Oh we've had women/poc as protags in media before" that the world will stop doing that in the future. "You've had your turn with Blade/Alien, now get out" or whatever.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I had to look that up, and jesus, where you people fall behind the US in volume of racially motivated police violence, you sure make up in style.

Edit: For content, here's a grammar joke
https://twitter.com/SortaBad/status/968010454738944001

That gave me a sensible chuckle.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ularg posted:

Wonder woman got idiots going "No look at all these other female protags YOU AINT SPECIAL" and Black Panther was "LOOK AT ALL THESE OTHER BLACK PEOPLE BEFORE YOU" then went back to complaining about women and poc in their videogames.

Because there seems to be this thought that if they can prove that "Oh we've had women/poc as protags in media before" that the world will stop doing that in the future. "You've had your turn with Blade/Alien, now get out" or whatever.

let's please not lump blade in with modern super hero movies