Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

exquisite tea posted:

Any good recommendations for entertaining speedruns of games that were never really intended to be played quickly, or that have some crazy sequence-breaking flaw that makes them an unlikely favorite of streamers?
I don't know if you're looking for a game where the developers were anti-speedrun but one of my favorite "What the gently caress is happening" sequence breaks is Final Fantasy 4's stairs glitch, though it takes nearly two hours to get to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J53S2sNwI4k

Run starts at 16:28 and has solid commentary (Brossentia, Netara, puwexil from left to right on the couch) if you want to watch it all the way through. The sequence break stuff starts around 2:02:00 in the video (1:45:00 on the run timer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Renegret posted:

It's not a real roundabout run unless it includes all the cutscenes.
Let's go, Giorgio!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

Any good recommendations for entertaining speedruns of games that were never really intended to be played quickly, or that have some crazy sequence-breaking flaw that makes them an unlikely favorite of streamers?

In a lot of ways you could say that racing games make for pretty boring speedruns because they're sort of just "play the game good" and while that's certainly impressive and sometimes fun to watch, it's not a very interesting speedrun. That being said, I've enjoyed watching both Mario Kart 64 and F-Zero 64 due to the insane wall clips and tiny ways to optimize time here and there. Beat em ups sort of fall into this category too imo because they're somewhat on rails. TMNT: Turtles In Time on SNES is an interesting run to watch for small, enemy management-type optimizations to watch.

Oh and it's not quite what you asked for, but get a load of this loving DK64 vid

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Watching TMR speedrun Battletoads is really cool. He makes it look much easier...

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

timp posted:

In a lot of ways you could say that racing games make for pretty boring speedruns because they're sort of just "play the game good" and while that's certainly impressive and sometimes fun to watch, it's not a very interesting speedrun. That being said, I've enjoyed watching both Mario Kart 64 and F-Zero 64 due to the insane wall clips and tiny ways to optimize time here and there. Beat em ups sort of fall into this category too imo because they're somewhat on rails. TMNT: Turtles In Time on SNES is an interesting run to watch for small, enemy management-type optimizations to watch.

Oh and it's not quite what you asked for, but get a load of this loving DK64 vid

There's also some F-Zero clone for Wii or WiiU that has a fairly entertaining speedrun, at least for a while (I don't remember if it just turns into doing the same ridiculous thing over and over again or not)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

timp posted:

I guess what I meant are games that you'd never expect to become popular targets for speedruns, like adventures or very long RPGs, but have some sequence-breaking event or glitch that make them doable in a very short amount of time. Kind of like that infamous Morrowind run where the dude dupes a whole bunch of alchemy potions and then flies across the entire world right to the final boss cave.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

cage-free egghead posted:

Watching TMR speedrun Battletoads is really cool. He makes it look much easier...

I feel this way with any Dark Souls/Bloodbourne speedrun. On video it looks like the runner is just running through the levels and mashing their face up against a boss and attacking, but there's so much more going on than it looks.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

exquisite tea posted:

The TAS for Super R-Type is like 2/3 the length of an average playthrough basically just from lag reduction.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
still up in the air whether I can afford but I got a gdq spot

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

eonwe posted:

still up in the air whether I can afford but I got a gdq spot

all in favor for a goon 'thon to get money to let eonwe come say "punchy sux"

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Moatman posted:

There's also some F-Zero clone for Wii or WiiU that has a fairly entertaining speedrun, at least for a while (I don't remember if it just turns into doing the same ridiculous thing over and over again or not)

Fast Racing Neo?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SeXReX posted:

all in favor for a goon 'thon to get money to let eonwe come say "punchy sux"

punchy was great on the re7 couch tho.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
punchy good. so what.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also nah yall don't gotta raise anything for me

if there is a goon running a game that needs help getting there yall should donate to them

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

ArfJason posted:

Fast Racing Neo?

Yeah that's the one

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

eonwe posted:

also nah yall don't gotta raise anything for me

if there is a goon running a game that needs help getting there yall should donate to them

I need 4 bucks for the bus give me the money

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

SeXReX posted:

I need 4 bucks for the bus give me the money

https://twitter.com/YayMarsha/status/972530744659767297

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i think we can all agree, gently caress a capitalism

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

This is probably old news but I've been watching the criminally underrated Nirvanna The Band The Show and there's a whole episode where the boys try to win a Goldeneye Speed Run tournament. RWhiteGoose appears in it and they even talk about that guy who got cucked during the after credits sequence.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Suggestions on speedruns for longer games with entertaining but not overbearing runners? Looking for stuff to put on in the background while I work, so the more suggestions the better.

EDIT: Should say Youtube or Twitch are fine, so lay them on me.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 11, 2018

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Suggestions on speedruns for longer games with entertaining but not overbearing runners? Looking for stuff to put on in the background while I work, so the more suggestions the better.

Gyre does final fantasy and occasionally other stuff. He’s playtesting the randomized most nights atm

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

fool_of_sound posted:

Gyre does final fantasy and occasionally other stuff. He’s playtesting the randomized most nights atm

Thanks!

I should add that I love 100% runs above all else, but I know they're harder to track down online. Anything Puwexil does is a good example.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 11, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Darbian does interesting runs like Super Marihour (SMB1/2/3, SMW and M64) in under an hour on real hardware)

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Verranicus posted:

EDIT: Should say Youtube or Twitch are fine, so lay them on me.
RPGs are going to be your best bet. You mentioned puwexil; not sure if RPG Limit Break's channels are on your radar:
https://www.twitch.tv/rpglimitbreak
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJn8IWyQmWEIfpVjX7o2VnQ/videos

It's a charity marathon that puwexil helps to run. It focuses on RPG speedruns but they also run various tournaments and marathons throughout the year. On that note, you could also search through GDQ's youtube channel for RPGs/other long games and then also follow the runner's twitch channel.

Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

Shoot! I was hoping to go to SGDQ but it looks like registration came and went (reached the cap) without me noticing! It looks like the only way to go now is to try to get a volunteering spot?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

iPodschun posted:

On that note, you could also search through GDQ's youtube channel for RPGs/other long games and then also follow the runner's twitch channel.
Probably easier to use the RPG category on GDQ VODs for that.

So I got my five submissions in for ESA, submissions for that closed yesterday.

Also, I would like to present to you the dumbest submission (so far) for SGDQ 2018:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

KennyMan666 posted:

Also, I would like to present to you the dumbest submission (so far) for SGDQ 2018:

You have to see this in action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ0PxA2YAgI

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol that rules.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
is that his normal gold split noise

because if so I better follow this dude

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

KennyMan666 posted:

uhhhhh this owns

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I want that in the marathon.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

I'm mad he uses SDA/TAS timing not RTA. :colbert:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
summoning salt put up a vid on og metroid yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFCF4I09Avc

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

SoftNum posted:

I'm mad he uses SDA/TAS timing not RTA. :colbert:

That doesn't look like either timing to me. It's a weird idiosyncratic method.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I need your help goons

https://twitter.com/BIGHONKINBURGER/status/973295385056763904

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

thats nuts

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Imagine one ball at the edge of a cliff...

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Keiz ran Animorphs this year, and choked Animorphs the year before (I think) and Pokemon once

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

metroid's a girl???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

I bet he doesn't have the ball to go through with it