Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

enraged_camel posted:

This isn't about UK vs. Russia though. UK can definitely lobby the EU for multilateral sanctions.

again, the UK wants to leave and the EU is currently pissed off at them because they can't even negotiate their own exit the right way. yeah they can lobby but i strongly doubt it would do much. there might be some sanctions but much like the reaction to the crimea invasion, those will be watered down because the netherlands, germany and all the rest still want their crude oil thankyouverymuch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

No way Mueller has finished his probe.

Yeah, that's wishful thinking on the Twitter left.

I'm gonna put him down for a July announcement of whatever the next phase is. Report to be released within the month, or what have you.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

enraged_camel posted:

The articles said he has nearly finished the Obstruction of Justice portion, but still has more to do on the rest of the investigation. Basically, he probably has a good ovstruction case, but wants to conclusively prove the Trump-Russia connection before filing charges against Trump.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The Glumslinger posted:

While that seems like a great way for the UK to eat a nuke, Russia is totally a state sponsor of terror at this point. The bombs would already be falling if NK or ISIS had done this

The UK does, in fact, have its own nuclear deterrent. Also for all Trump's bluster, the UK is still in a defensive alliance with the USA, and the US' nukes are still largely pointed at Russia.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

selec posted:

This is why the Soviets, and now the Russians, always were and always will be better at humint than the west. They will do poo poo we just won't do, and everybody knows it.. Our intelligence services put up with it, because they hire for people who respect hierarchies, and they train to respect them, and punish people for not respecting hierarchies, and the hierarchy outside those TLAs, the actual hierarchy of our society, does not place the needs or wants of those services above the needs or wants of the oligarch class.

But because the people in those TLAs have been selected and then trained consistently to respect the hierarchies, those earnest Mormons have all the capacity of a two year old trying to fill up your gas tank for figuring out what to do now. They simply cannot countenance that they were lied to and that these people died because other people make money letting that happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncNSJGPl8X4

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

enraged_camel posted:

To be clear, I'm not saying any of that "Mueller is close to finishing" stuff has any legitimacy from the right or the left. Like I said, I think this is just the target Nunes has been heading for for awhile.

But Mueller's obviously made a lot of deals and indictments lately so dominos are falling that suggests that we could see more fall soon. "Soon" being real world time in weeks/months, not internet "Why's it taking so long? What's gonna break by 5 PM?" "soon".

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Vladimir Putin posted:

That whole list falls apart without the US.

How much oil do we import from Russia?

Looks like it's 10,000 thousand barrels a month per the EIA (https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafHandler.ashx?n=PET&s=MTTIM_NUS-NRS_1&f=M).

The US imports a total of 300k thousand barrels a month, mostly from Canada so we could absolutely embargo them without much ill-effect. (https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/PET_MOVE_IMPCUS_A2_NUS_EP00_IM0_MBBL_M.htm)

Russia exports about 70% of its oil to Europe so a Europe-wide ban would hurt it real bad.

https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=33732

The question is whether Europe can afford to shut off the pipelines like that. I'd argue they can and should but I'm not a petroleum expert so I can't say for sure.

axeil fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 12, 2018

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The UK does, in fact, have its own nuclear deterrent. Also for all Trump's bluster, the UK is still in a defensive alliance with the USA, and the US' nukes are still largely pointed at Russia.

Double check on that US alliance

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

axeil posted:

The question is whether Europe can afford to shut off the pipelines like that.

they cannot. depending on the specific product, russia is either the largest or the second largest supplier for oil, petroleum products, natural gas and coal. natural gas specifically is something ridiculous like 40 percent russian throughout the EU.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Glumslinger posted:

The articles said he has nearly finished the Obstruction of Justice portion, but still has more to do on the rest of the investigation. Basically, he probably has a good ovstruction case, but wants to conclusively prove the Trump-Russia connection before filing charges against Trump.

what article?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

botany posted:

they cannot. depending on the specific product, russia is either the largest or the second largest supplier for oil, petroleum products, natural gas and coal. natural gas specifically is something ridiculous like 40 percent russian throughout the EU.

Welp, time to admit that they are Russian colonies/Russia won the cold war then.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
In all honesty the UK should not depend on the US right now when formulating their plans.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It absolutely kills me that it turned out that Romney was absolutely right with his seemingly stupid debate answer that Russia was going to be the largest geopolitical threat to the US in the near future.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The US president won't even travel to the UK because people would boo him. He's not gonna go to war with his best friend because the UK asks him to.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

axeil posted:

Welp, time to admit that they are Russian colonies/Russia won the cold war then.

The EU is in a bad position right now

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

What rumors are these?
Rumors are that Mueller has finished his investigation into obstruction of justice and has enough to move forward with indictments, but he's holding off so that he can continue the collusion and financial crimes investigations without potentially scaring witnesses or having Trump finally freak out and shut the whole thing down.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Vladimir Putin posted:

In all honesty the UK should not depend on the US right now when formulating their plans.

If I was Theresa May I'd tell the EU we won't Brexit if they join us in passing strong anti-Russian sanctions. Solves the whole problem since I think at this point no one (sane) left in the UK actually wants to leave but they're being forced to because the alternative is a non-Tory government.

I really think the chemical weapons attack is when the Russian Crisis has finally forced itself into the public consciousness despite being A Problem since about 2013 or so.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Inferior Third Season posted:

Rumors are that Mueller has finished his investigation into obstruction of justice and has enough to move forward with indictments, but he's holding off so that he can continue the collusion and financial crimes investigations without potentially scaring witnesses or having Trump finally freak out and shut the whole thing down.

Let's be clear about something: the only person who knows where Mueller is in the process is Mueller himself. His team has had zero leaks, and it's not like he regularly gives anyone status updates.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It absolutely kills me that it turned out that Romney was absolutely right with his seemingly stupid debate answer that Russia was going to be the largest geopolitical threat to the US in the near future.

Lol, if you think he would have done anything about it. Clinton and Bush opened up relations with them in an effort to rebuild it into a healthy country. We hosed up when failed to act on Putin becoming a dictator.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Programming Note: Sam Nunberg is about to visit Ari Melber on MSNBC.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

STAC Goat posted:

Programming Note: Sam Nunberg is about to visit Ari Melber on MSNBC.

Get yo popcorn ready

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

The Glumslinger posted:

Lol, if you think he would have done anything about it. Clinton and Bush opened up relations with them in an effort to rebuild it into a healthy country. We hosed up when failed to act on Putin becoming a dictator.

you hosed up when you intervened in russian elections to install yeltsin in an attempt to turn russia into a capitalist client state, creating the oligarch class in the process.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/973314951765872640

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Vladimir Putin posted:

Double check on that US alliance

... NATO?

I mean, Trump likes to talk poo poo about NATO, but the treaty hasn't been revoked, and Article 5 is still a thing.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I know I keep harping on this, but the thread atm is super interesting because it's like, what if people with no understanding of global politics or the reprecussions of centrist ideology suddenly started hating a big country

Would it blow their minds to hear that we are deeply aligned with a country that has a political chokehold on both parties and once sank a US ship (killing 34 Are Troops and injuring 171 other Are Troops), and we not only did nothing, but we sell and purchase massive amounts of military hardware to them?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

botany posted:

you hosed up when you intervened in russian elections to install yeltsin in an attempt to turn russia into a capitalist client state, creating the oligarch class in the process.

Yeah I see that it is all America's fault. Certainly the dictator himself is blameless.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Awww, bet he's waiting by the phone like a lovelorn teenager

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

... NATO?

I mean, Trump likes to talk poo poo about NATO, but the treaty hasn't been revoked, and Article 5 is still a thing.

Yeah are you really going to bank on Trump going along with that? WH is denying Russian involvement right now.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Mueller strikes me as a very serious man who, despite being very old-school / borderline rigid in his methods, appears to also be fairly quick on the uptake (see, the two agents who were ousted of the investigation because they were lightly talking smack about Trump).

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wark Say posted:

Mueller strikes me as a very serious man who, despite being very old-school / borderline rigid in his methods, appears to also be fairly quick on the uptake (see, the two agents who were ousted of the investigation because they were lightly talking smack about Trump).

See also: the numerous times he has full confessions/plea deals from people he arrested/flipped months ago without anybody knowing.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah I see that it is all America's fault. Certainly the dictator himself is blameless.

yeah that's exactly what i said there, good job.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

botany posted:

drat it glumslinger! This is all your fault!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

botany posted:

Who was the actual favorite among the Russian people post-Gorbachev?

My knowledge of Russian history post-1990 is the "the Red Army shells the Kremlin", the USSR collapses, their economy is hosed, Yeltsin is elected and is a drunken failure, Putin elected and then becomes a strongman dictator constantly trying to project the aura of power because Russia is a complete joke domestically.

Neurolimal posted:

I know I keep harping on this, but the thread atm is super interesting because it's like, what if people with no understanding of global politics or the reprecussions of centrist ideology suddenly started hating a big country

Would it blow their minds to hear that we are deeply aligned with a country that has a political chokehold on both parties and once sank a US ship (killing 34 Are Troops and injuring 171 other Are Troops), and we not only did nothing, but we sell and purchase massive amounts of military hardware to them?

Israel is a piece of poo poo apartheid 2.0 state and I loving depsise them and wish we'd cut them loose despite being a dreaded ~*centrist*~ so get out of here with that nonsense.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Nunberg snort the coke.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Just to keep anyone from getting their hopes up: nobody in the EU are going to do anything about a sloppy assassination, most of them cannot do anything, and most of them do not give a poo poo and would not do anything if they could. Even the UK dislikes the UK, and nobody would be fooled by a call to action against covert activities after decades of history tolerating them with metaphorical legs spread wide open.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
If the EU didn't get really really stupid about Atomz after the Fukushima event, they would be in a better position but w/e.

LOL

*France continues export dat atomz lightning to German as they build new coal plants*

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

axeil posted:

Who was the actual favorite among the Russian people post-Gorbachev?

zyuganov of the communist party. yeltsin was in something like fifth place with <10 percent of the people wanting him.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The Glumslinger posted:

What the gently caress, don’t whitewash shock therapy.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

... NATO?

Ha! Funny jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

Yeah man what if it was just some people without poli sci PhDs shooting the poo poo on an Internet forum man

• Locked thread