Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The Korean webtoon Trinity Wonder is pretty much that premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is there one where they summon an anarcho-communist kid by mistake and instead of feeding their forever-war against the demons he kickstarts a revolution?

Isekai heroes are usually supposed to solve agricultural failures, not cause them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

im glad isekai heroes always have encyclopedic knowledge of agriculture and gunpowder formulas

if i was summoned i'm not sure my in-depth knowledge of obscure snes jrpgs would kickstart a technological revolution

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 11, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yinlock posted:

im glad isekai heroes always have encyclopedic knowledge of agriculture and gunpowder formulas

if i was summoned i'm not sure my in-depth knowledge of obscure snes jrpgs would kickstart a technological revolution

Depending on what time period, just knowing of things like crop rotation and the idea of pesticides if not the specifics would still be big. Likewise sterilization in medicine, germ theory of disease, or some basic architectural concepts or things like assembly line production and modular parts.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is there an Isekai series where instead of a swords and sorcery world the protagonist gets summoned to a futuristic world?

Isn't Knights and Magic and/or Heavy Object about an engineer/programmer who gets reincarnated in a world with mecha?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

MonsieurChoc posted:

There'S all these stupid "guy gets summoned to fantasy world series" and a frightening amount of them have slavery. Is there one where they summon an anarcho-communist kid by mistake and instead of feeding their forever-war against the demons he kickstarts a revolution?
Well, there's Maoyuu Maou Yuusha which does some interesting things you might enjoy to subvert the standard demon king/hero mechanic, and has isekai elements as the demon queen yanks tech from our world, with appropriate consequences

I love the naming convention and the character designs for most of the characters, especially Archduke Firedragon, the Giant species, and the mechanical race. Honestly I'm rather flabbergasted that it took a series with a premise of "demon queen negotiates with the hero by showing him the statistics and beneficiaries of war with graphs and stuff beyond simply good vs evil" and turned it into a long-term, fantastic political story(with a ton of cheesecake)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You're thinking of Knights and Magic.

Heavy Object is the "Attack On Titan by way of Metal Gear with a side of shadow of the colossus" show by the Raildex guy and is almost certainly not an Isakai.

Shame the anime is hot garbage. By the time it turned out everything was caused by Basicaly the Gamelons I refused to give a gently caress anymore.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

chumbler posted:

Depending on what time period, just knowing of things like crop rotation and the idea of pesticides if not the specifics would still be big. Likewise sterilization in medicine, germ theory of disease, or some basic architectural concepts or things like assembly line production and modular parts.

true even general concepts could be revolutionary but it's a lot funnier to imagine just being the most useless idiot

"i know quite a bit about terranigma" i said, confidently, as the broadsword went through my chest

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just because you have a vague idea about those things doesn't mean you know enough to convince anyone you're not an idiot

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

just because you have a vague idea about those things doesn't mean you know enough to convince anyone you're not an idiot

i'll have you know that elven wenches are lining up around the block for my seiken densetsu 3 tips and tricks

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yinlock posted:

i'll have you know that elven wenches are lining up around the block for my seiken densetsu 3 tips and tricks

Destroying the legions of evil with your Live-a-Live optimal scenario order strats.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

finally hokuto no gun has picked up shonen jumps first big hit otoko ippiki gaki daisho

first chapter https://mangadex.org/chapter/157704/1

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
New We Can't Study
And it's great. :allears:

I love Kominami who seems to be fully aware of all the impossible stuff happening.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Darth TNT posted:

New We Can't Study
And it's great. :allears:

I love Kominami who seems to be fully aware of all the impossible stuff happening.

I love this manga so much :allears:

Sure, the story isn't much, but the characters are great and their interactions are fantastic.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

We are all Furuhashi

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Destroying the legions of evil with your Live-a-Live optimal scenario order strats.

"don't let the robot ninja see a mouse or touch water or we're all hosed"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Noah's Notes first chapter is out.

Kind of an interesting setup that really seems like a spin on Dr. Stone's concept.

Gyaru stereotype high school girl pretty much doesn't give a poo poo about school and her plan is basically to get married and squeeze out a couple kids and have a happy life that way. She finds a strange artifact on the way home from school and snapchats it, then professor protagonist Noah shows up and basically kidnaps her. Upon learning of her shunning of all things scholarly he gets sufficiently annoyed that he drags her on an archeological dig to show her what that artifact she found was.

And this big twist?

As it turns out, in 2022 AD humanity is somehow destroyed, the remains of civilization sink into the earth, and somehow- time RESETS to 100,000 years ago and everything repeats. The artifact was a key leading to a buried, identical version of the part of Tokyo they were in. Time is looping, and Noah's mission is to figure out what the gently caress happens in 2022 and prevent the next loop.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 12, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Fabricated posted:

Kind of an interesting setup that really seems like a spin on Dr. Stone's concept.

Gyaru stereotype high school girl pretty much doesn't give a poo poo about school and her plan is basically to get married and squeeze out a couple kids and have a happy life that way. She finds a strange artifact on the way home from school and snapchats it, then professor protagonist Noah shows up and basically kidnaps her. Upon learning of her shunning of all things scholarly he gets sufficiently annoyed that he drags her on an archeological dig to show her what that artifact she found was.

And this big twist?

As it turns out, in 2022 AD humanity is somehow destroyed, the remains of civilization sink into the earth, and somehow- time RESETS to 100,000 years ago and everything repeats. The artifact was a key leading to a buried, identical version of the part of Tokyo they were in. Time is looping, and Noah's mission is to figure out what the gently caress happens in 2022 and prevent the next loop.

but it's too late, trump is already president

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well that's certainly a twist alright

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I've been waiting for story with that kind of twist for ages. Hope it ends up being good.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jujutsu Kaisen revealed a bit more of it's general emotional hook/lesson/theme/whatever which is pretty interesting I think for a shounen.

By emotional hook/lesson/theme I mean the sort of core I guess driving things that isn't the premise?? I'm at a lack of words for it. Like, Horikoshi for example says that the big theme of My Hero Academia is the student/teacher relationship. One Piece focuses a lot on dreams. Noah's Notes seems to be appreciating history for what it can show you about the future, etc. etc. There's usually a theme like that outside of the usual WSJ "Friendship, effort, victory" thing.

Jujutsu Kaisen's is basically, "How to die well." The protagonist's grandfather passes away in the first chapter and his last lecture to him is basically, "Live the kind of life so that when it's your time to die, you're surrounded by people you love and whom love you." The nasty curse he consumed was part of a larger one, and he's a rarity in that he can control it. The bodyparts that make up the curse are insanely, insanely nasty, cannot be contained, are constantly getting stronger, and cannot be destroyed as they are. The parts he eats however become part of his body, and if HE dies the curse actually dies with him. He's given the option of dying right there on the spot, or finding and consuming the rest of the curse and THEN dying (thus eradicating this normally unstoppable curse). The protagonist agrees to the latter obviously, thinking that'll be how he "Dies well".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is some classic garbage-rear end translation right'chere

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Go-To-Helln/Go-to-Helln-Chapter-001?id=408793

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Fabricated posted:

Jujutsu Kaisen revealed a bit more of it's general emotional hook/lesson/theme/whatever which is pretty interesting I think for a shounen.

By emotional hook/lesson/theme I mean the sort of core I guess driving things that isn't the premise?? I'm at a lack of words for it. Like, Horikoshi for example says that the big theme of My Hero Academia is the student/teacher relationship. One Piece focuses a lot on dreams. Noah's Notes seems to be appreciating history for what it can show you about the future, etc. etc. There's usually a theme like that outside of the usual WSJ "Friendship, effort, victory" thing.

Jujutsu Kaisen's is basically, "How to die well." The protagonist's grandfather passes away in the first chapter and his last lecture to him is basically, "Live the kind of life so that when it's your time to die, you're surrounded by people you love and whom love you." The nasty curse he consumed was part of a larger one, and he's a rarity in that he can control it. The bodyparts that make up the curse are insanely, insanely nasty, cannot be contained, are constantly getting stronger, and cannot be destroyed as they are. The parts he eats however become part of his body, and if HE dies the curse actually dies with him. He's given the option of dying right there on the spot, or finding and consuming the rest of the curse and THEN dying (thus eradicating this normally unstoppable curse). The protagonist agrees to the latter obviously, thinking that'll be how he "Dies well".

Jujutsu Kaisen's premise according to this post starts out heartwarming and then immediately makes a 90 degree turn into :wtc:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The newest kimetsu no yaiba is good

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jose posted:

The newest kimetsu no yaiba is good

Incredibly cute. What an adorable series its turning out to be.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

And this big twist?

That's actually a potentially interesting premise. At least it's better than "some random excuse for the protagonist to get powers and fight things."

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The MC reminds me of Tezuka's Rock character for my liking.

The whole gag of him Shoving his gun in people's faces and/or mouths isn't helping.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mikl posted:

I love this manga so much :allears:

Sure, the story isn't much, but the characters are great and their interactions are fantastic.

Same here! I adore it and look forward to it every week as much as any of the more story-heavy series'. The characters are so dang cute and it's so genuinely funny and charming.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I think this is the second jump start the mangaka from Noah's Notes did. Wasn't the first one about Shogi or something?

This seems much more interesting, though I wonder how people will react to a main character who's main gimmick seems to be pulling a gun on people.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Mulderman posted:

I think this is the second jump start the mangaka from Noah's Notes did. Wasn't the first one about Shogi or something?

This seems much more interesting, though I wonder how people will react to a main character who's main gimmick seems to be pulling a gun on people.

People will call him the most American protagonist in a Japanese comic.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Mulderman posted:

Yep, he's the mangaka of Mononofu which I believe got canned pretty quick, if not quite Red Sprite/Love Rush quick.

I'm definitely feeling Noah's Notes, that bit where he breaks down her life plan via her mother's experiences was neat and a much more interesting way to get the character to start thinking about history than just shouting at her about how great history is. The twist at the end definitely would have gotten me even if that bit hadn't though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Noah's Notes has a very good and interesting premise; I guess it'll depend upon how well it's executed. It seems like WSJ is really having a golden age since the passing of Naruto/Bleach; even its more generic series are very well executed (like Kimetsu no Yaiba or We Never Learn).

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

New We Never Learn! (That's the official name on the merch, god drat it Jaminisbox stop using 'We Can't Study.')

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/55/

Fantastic chapter, so many cute faces. Say it.

Also, in case anyone finds the featured game to be a bit far-fetched, I can confirm it's a real thing! My old third year students were playing it at lunch shortly before they graduated, although they played to laughter rather than blushing. I lost too, so I feel you Nariyuki.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I freaking lost it at robogata

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I just stumbled on Dimension W by the guy who did the second Darker than Black manga and King of Thorn and I'm really liking it. Pretty interesting sci-fi concept involving a technology that pulls infinite energy from another dimension and revolutionized the world, but of course there's a mysterious android and more to the infinite energy system than most people think. Also the main dude is basically Spike from Cowboy Bebop. Anyone else following this series?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It started off fairly interesting and then became just completely and totally mediocre. Or at least that was the general response to the anime. I dunno about the manga or whatever.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Oh Snapple! posted:

It started off fairly interesting and then became just completely and totally mediocre. Or at least that was the general response to the anime. I dunno about the manga or whatever.

Yeah but that opening though :allears:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it felt like they found out they were getting canceled halfway through the anime and rushed the rest of the plot out

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was so disappointed when loser turned out to be yet another loser with a dead wife. yeesh, it's possible for a guy to have motivations other than a dead wife, dimension w.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
dimension wife