Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This may be premature, but so far I like fishing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Fishing owns in general.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

This may be premature, but so far I like fishing.

I would like fishing more if disabling the HUD still gave you the directional prompts for catching and snagging, like how you can still see the Cross Chain and Summon prompts.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
So, a question for all of you that I can't answer with the knowledge of FF that I actually have. Is there anywhere else in the series that does the 'can't use magic here' restriction of the physical side of Fork Tower in V? I know the magic side basically got reprised as the Cultist's Tower in VI, but I don't remember any other places that forbid you using magic.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Cleretic posted:

So, a question for all of you that I can't answer with the knowledge of FF that I actually have. Is there anywhere else in the series that does the 'can't use magic here' restriction of the physical side of Fork Tower in V? I know the magic side basically got reprised as the Cultist's Tower in VI, but I don't remember any other places that forbid you using magic.

That place on the Western Continent that Kuja sends Zidane to. You get to pick your team after he tells you he doesn't like to go there because you can't use magic there, and so many people end up complaining that they brought an all-mage team.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I must question your knowledge of Final Fantasy if you didn't play 9, but that's one (Oilevert? however it's spelled, the place with Epitaph enemies and candle puzzles).

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Schwartzcough posted:

That place on the Western Continent that Kuja sends Zidane to. You get to pick your team after he tells you he doesn't like to go there because you can't use magic there, and so many people end up complaining that they brought an all-mage team.

i'm such a stupid gently caress that when i was 13 years old i brought vivi, dagger, and quina

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Wutai in FFVII, effectively. :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Wutai in FFVII, effectively. :v:

Aren't all the enemies in Wutai super weak to physical attacks and resistant to magic by design though

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Aren't all the enemies in Wutai super weak to physical attacks and resistant to magic by design though

I didn't say it was a challenge! I said you were (effectively) restricted from using magic!

(Yeah, I'm aware if you have enough Materia you'll end up keeping a handful.)

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Oh man oh jeez I just tried taking control of Ignis and a million tutorials went by and I can't remember any of them :saddowns:

Alright so for a basic over view of it. He has three 'weapons' fire, Ice and Lightning. Fire is single target focused and does the best damage. Ice is AOE focused. Lightning is mobility focused and works a lot like a warp strike.

Then you have Total Clarity. As you attack or by standing still and using whatever button is bound to it you can charge your clarity meter. Once its full you can press the same button to fire off a special attack based on your current weapon when you use it. Fire targets one person and hits them a lot on breakable points, Ice hits every person around you, and lightning hits everyone you recently hit with a lightning attack with a bolt of lightning.

The last unique thing for him is that his dodge is....worse. Generally worse. But just after he's hit they give you a prompt to hit block. If you time it properly you regain most the damage taken from the last attack.

That's about everything except his special attacks. Which are high jump*basic damage*, and over charge where Ignis sadly picks a RANDOM element of his to empower to hit harder and such.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The final dungeon in VIII initially locks you out of using magic (and everything else) if that counts.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Kanfy posted:

The final dungeon in VIII initially locks you out of using magic (and everything else) if that counts.

That’s even more extreme, IMO.

I don’t think that concept has been revisited, aside from Salvage in XI?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

As for other restrictive dungeons, FF3 has two dungeons you have to navigate while Mini, and while the second is no big deal since by that point you have a Thief with Flee, the first is a pain since you also have an actual boss you have to fight, while Mini.

And of course there's also the Magnetic Cave in FF4, what a chore that was.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You have a choice of which abilities to lock yourself out of for a small section of the Pharos in FFXII if I am remembering correctly.

I have the strangest feeling I played a JRPG with a dungeon that kept draining your MP. I think I 'm remembering Maria's dungeon from P4G. and not a Final Fantasy. FF is kinda light on the restrictive dungeons. Ultimecia's Castle really was one of the best dungeons ever in an FF game for averting this and also other reasons.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

There's one in ff15 that won't let you use items, but i forget the name. And Pitioss which drains your sanity irl.

I wish FF did dungeon gimmicks like that more often. It's fun to have to work around a different challenge.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Thanks for the info, everyone! I needed a name specifically for a dumb reference in a thing I'm writing, and 'Fork Tower' didn't work so well.

In other news: that game we don't care about introduced somebody we might!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwyBI0KjENk

I don't remember him being a Dragon Ball villain though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I went into FFXV with pretty low expectations but I'm having a pretty good time so far!

I need to look up how the party members work when you switch to them in battle, though. The first time I switched to Ignis I read all ten tutorial messages and still didn't really have a clue what I was doing. The ice daggers were fun as hell though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Nah, he's Gilgamesh. No, not that one, the other one. Who fights like Kirei.

Honestly I would've thought he would be the last possible character I would've been interested in but man he looks cool.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

Thanks for the info, everyone! I needed a name specifically for a dumb reference in a thing I'm writing, and 'Fork Tower' didn't work so well.

In other news: that game we don't care about introduced somebody we might!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwyBI0KjENk

This is more or less how Vayne plays in Record Keeper. Monk with dark energy abilities and occasional flying swords. People always freak out when I bring him to multiplayer and end up surprised at how powerful he is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K4gEI_wAqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV-qB6zrAAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCtFXqYoXzk

Varance fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 13, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I decided to watch the first 12 minutes of Kingsglaive on YouTube and just... why is none of this in the game itself? If you're going to put critical background information in a movie--specifically, the part of the movie that you're showing for free on YouTube--why not just put that footage in the game itself? Just the first three or so minutes already make a big difference in setting up context for where the story begins. It'd be a much more reasonable beginning than "here's a 1-minute thing with older Noctis where you just move a little and see some fire and that's it."

And it's not like they didn't put footage from the movie in the game! I thought maybe there was some weird legal hiccup that would prevent footage from the movie appearing in the game but that doesn't seem to be true, either.

I just don't understand :psyduck:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Harrow posted:

And it's not like they didn't put footage from the movie in the game! I thought maybe there was some weird legal hiccup that would prevent footage from the movie appearing in the game but that doesn't seem to be true, either.

Here's a fun fact: when the game came out that wasn't in it. They patched in footage from the movie later. So it made even less sense Day 1.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Harrow posted:

I decided to watch the first 12 minutes of Kingsglaive on YouTube and just... why is none of this in the game itself? If you're going to put critical background information in a movie--specifically, the part of the movie that you're showing for free on YouTube--why not just put that footage in the game itself? Just the first three or so minutes already make a big difference in setting up context for where the story begins. It'd be a much more reasonable beginning than "here's a 1-minute thing with older Noctis where you just move a little and see some fire and that's it."

The game was scrapped together in a couple years (and arguably is still being made) from a bunch of pieces of what was formerly Versus XIII, so...yeah.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I also think it's a Japanese thing where they seem to love to spread out the lore across different mediums - games, comics, movies, anime, audio dramas. That way they can get people to spend more money on the property.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Renoistic posted:

I also think it's a Japanese thing where they seem to love to spread out the lore across different mediums - games, comics, movies, anime, audio dramas. That way they can get people to spend more money on the property.

Yeah American media never does that. Make sure to read the latest Spider-Man comic to understand the latest spider man movie which relies on you watching iron man so you can understand the next avengers!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Renoistic posted:

That’s hardly unique to Japan. Consider stuff like Warhammer 40K.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah American media never does that. Make sure to read the latest Spider-Man comic to understand the latest spider man movie which relies on you watching iron man so you can understand the next avengers!

loving lol at marvel movies needing anything from the comics

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Andrast posted:

Wolverine's got a podcast now

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Wolverine's got a podcast now

Who doesn’t?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Andrast posted:

Ok watch this bad Netflix show to understand this non Netflix show to understand the next movie. It’s the same poo poo

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Japanese multimedia stuff tends to be more fun than equivalent western attempts IMO.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Just get summaries or simply ignore the external stuff because the actual story is all the crazy antics you get up to with your bros.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Have the Marvel movies really relied on the shows at all? It never seemed like it to me--more the other way around (like "these shows assume you're watching all the movies" kind of stuff). I really have no idea, though.

Renoistic posted:

I mean, the first thing I thought was "wow, they were really desperate to make people buy Kingslaive, huh?" but the critical part is available for free on YouTube so that can't be the reason for this one. It really just seems to me like nobody thought about it at all.

All they'd have to do is add the first three minutes of Kingsglaive to the beginning of FFXV (replacing the weird little Ifrit cold open) and suddenly the whole story is a lot easier to hop on board with. If they can't use the voice over for some acting contract reason (which I assume is why the clip they did add to the game is silent except for music), just redub that with Luna's in-game voice or just literally any narrator and you're good.

I'm a turbonerd so I already knew what was generally up with Lucis, Tenebrae, and Niflheim, but if I hadn't been following the game pre-release and hadn't gone to wikis I'd have been hilariously lost at the start.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ok watch this bad Netflix show to understand this non Netflix show to understand the next movie. It’s the same poo poo

Nah, the Netflix shows and network show are completely separate from each other and movies besides occasional references of the movies in the shows (and never the shows in the movies).

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How big is the download of the latest boyband Final Fantasy on steam? I'm considering getting it, but the required space says 100gigs and my connection loving sucks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dongattack posted:

How big is the download of the latest boyband Final Fantasy on steam? I'm considering getting it, but the required space says 100gigs and my connection loving sucks.

76gb

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Harrow posted:

I'm a turbonerd so I already knew what was generally up with Lucis, Tenebrae, and Niflheim, but if I hadn't been following the game pre-release and hadn't gone to wikis I'd have been hilariously lost at the start.

It's gonna get worse before it gets better. As you play through the game note that it launched with no DLC, none of the segments where everything goes on pause to explain backstory, and half the characters featuring prominently in cutscenes got most of their roles cut from the end product but remaking stuff is expensive.

People who say the plot is good mean only after piecing all those bits back together.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The plot is my bros stand by me on my quest to get laid, no matter the twists and turns of fate.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bruceski posted:

It's gonna get worse before it gets better. As you play through the game note that it launched with no DLC, none of the segments where everything goes on pause to explain backstory, and half the characters featuring prominently in cutscenes got most of their roles cut from the end product but remaking stuff is expensive.

People who say the plot is good mean only after piecing all those bits back together.

This all makes me wonder what the plot of Versus XIII was going to be, back when Luna was Stella and was apparently a reluctant antagonist with similar powers to Noctis's. Looking at Versus XIII stuff and comparing it to how XV turned out I'm forced to assume they threw away basically everything except character and place names and general aesthetics.

This is probably going to be one of those gaming experiences where I end up annoyed at the squandered potential in the story, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The dev team did a pretty good job with the pieces and time frame they had to work with imo. The road trip, the character interactions, and the way they play into the game mechanics are pretty cool. Combat is a bit janky and superficial but fun enough. Story is ... ehhh, it's okay I guess. It hits some good notes towards the end as the main plot line draws to a conclusion and it's thematically consistent and stuff. Again, they did a decent job of scraping together the assets they had in the time they were given. I just wish instead of doing all these weird extra things like Comrades that nobody asked for they'd go back and actually make a real Altissia chapter instead of just putting a TODO post-it note there. Supposedly that's what Episode Ignis is but that's just about the worst fix imaginable.

The CD deck in the car definitely makes me miss the days when Uematsu was scoring the games too; those soundtracks did a lot to enhance the games' atmosphere. XII and XV had very unremarkable, wallpaper-y soundtracks.