Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

Since we mentioned otome games earlier, are there any decent f/f content games that aren't either 1. barely 18 love interests who are still in high school 2. Sakura-tier cheesecake with jiggle sliders? My gay little heart just wants to see adult women have fulfilling relationships with each other WITHOUT it being fanservice trash :smith:
No. Sorry. If you find one please let me know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I don't think I know of any visual novels about adult women at all, gay or otherwise.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Ha ha ha :v:

I hope you're playing the All Ages version, in which case you'll be fine

Since we mentioned otome games earlier, are there any decent f/f content games that aren't either 1. barely 18 love interests who are still in high school 2. Sakura-tier cheesecake with jiggle sliders? My gay little heart just wants to see adult women have fulfilling relationships with each other WITHOUT it being fanservice trash :smith:

It'd honestly be really cool to see a gay game where the love subplots take a back seat to the epic story like Fate/Stay Night, but that seems to be too much to ask, so I'm fine with romance stuff.

I've already played We Know The Devil, unfortunately I didn't really care for it. Cool aesthetic but I have gripes with the ending.

It's a high school story but Kindred Spirits is usually recommended for f\f content. It's all ages so nothing skeevy about it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Kindred Spirits is pretty tame but it's definitely not all ages, just FYI.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Kindred Spirits is pretty tame but it's definitely not all ages, just FYI.

Ah, I had assumed it was being on Steam and all.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Irritated Goat posted:

Ah, I had assumed it was being on Steam and all.

It was pretty famous for a while for being the first uncensored release on Steam.

But, if fulfilling relationships are what you want, Kindred Spirits is full of them and it's a pretty heartwarming game in general. If it helps: the adult scenes are limited to one, maybe two, per pairing, are very late in the game and I thought they fit the story but YMMV.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 12, 2018

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

FractalSandwich posted:

I don't think I know of any visual novels about adult women at all, gay or otherwise.

I like to pretend Umineko is really about Eva, Rosa, and Natsuhi.

e: someone make a detective game about cool adult women who are gay please this is all i want in life.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 12, 2018

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

I haven't read it myself but I've heard good things about SeaBed for exactly that.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
It might not be what you're looking for because its high school and very short, but Butterfly Soup is a very sweet game about queer girls bonding and playing baseball. The girl who recommended it to me said it was very important.

e: Its also free unless you absolutely want to give the creator money.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 12, 2018

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
After starting it last July, I'm almost done with Princess Evangile W Happiness. All I have left is Ayaka's epilogue. The quality of the routes is all over the place. Mitsuki and Konomi's being much better than what I was expecting; Tamie and Ruriko's being much worse. All five of the "another stories" could've benefited from another 1-2 chapters. Four chapters wasn't enough; too much time was skipped over which could've shown the girl and Masaya actually being a couple.

The only one I can think of that is shoujo-ai with adults is Nurse Love Addiction. It's still in my backlog though, so I really can't comment on if it's fanservice trash or not.

Yuri/Shoujo-Ai is already pretty niche, adding another niche on top like "not in highschool", good luck finding anything.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Ha ha ha :v:

I hope you're playing the All Ages version, in which case you'll be fine

It'd honestly be really cool to see a gay game where the love subplots take a back seat to the epic story like Fate/Stay Night, but that seems to be too much to ask, so I'm fine with romance stuff.

I've already played We Know The Devil, unfortunately I didn't really care for it. Cool aesthetic but I have gripes with the ending.

I can provide you with a fairly sizable list of yuri games, and otome games with yuri routes, in English. There's a LOT more available than people think unless they actually do the research. However, finding things that meet your precise taste can be trickier.

Most VNs / dating games in general involve teenagers. Even WKTD for that matter.

"Love, Guitars, and the Nashville Skyline" should qualify as adults but I have not played the game and can't tell you if it's any good. I also don't know how much of the game remains when the 18+ content is cut, but it certainly doesn't seem to be a jigglefest like Negligee.

For a game where the romance takes a backseat to epic storyline, Aoishiro is the best yuri game out there. Unfortunately it's not officially licensed, so you'll have to find a copy and a translation patch. I have played that game and can firmly recommend it. They are still teenagers though but at least the story doesn't take place in school.

I have NOT yet played Shadows of Pygmalion, which is apparently almost all storyline and just barely any romance at all.

I have played Nurse Love Addiction. It's a weird game. Yes, the characters are out of high school, but that just means they went right into job-training school, and the protagonist is really dumb. It's a game that looks like it's going to be the sappiest, fluffiest, pinkest mass of sugar you've seen in your life, and then a handful of "WTF?!?" situations show up. And the author has a couple of strange fetishes. You need a high tolerance for anime weird. (There IS a plot underneath the slice-of-life, and it will be a surprise, but the focus never really goes into the huge epic possibilities.)

If you just want an enormous list of english yuri options, though, let me know and I can list at least a hundred games.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Post the list

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
Yeah dear god please put that list on Pastebin or something. I would legitimately love to see it.

Thank you for your suggestions, everybody. Looks like I've got a lot of homework to do, and wishlisting before the next steam sale! :v:

Honestly? I can tolerate a lot of weird anime bullshit. I am not that discriminatory. My only real criteria are "I would prefer them to not look like children because I'm in my mid-twenties" and "not Sakura-tier skeevy". I'll even tolerate the teenagers thing as long as it's good.

I'll definitely look into the ones that were recommended! I recognize a couple of them from my Steam wishlist already, I was on the fence about Kindred Spirits, but it sounds like it's better than I thought, and I'd never heard of Seabed. I'll look into Aoishiro too.

Snooze Cruise posted:

I like to pretend Umineko is really about Eva, Rosa, and Natsuhi.

e: someone make a detective game about cool adult women who are gay please this is all i want in life.
It's not exactly a serious title, but Romance Detective was pretty cute/short/costs zero dollars from what I remember. Has a html5 web version. "a love story about a detective who solves crimes of passion alongside her partner, romance cop."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

It's not exactly a serious title, but Romance Detective was pretty cute/short/costs zero dollars from what I remember. Has a html5 web version. "a love story about a detective who solves crimes of passion alongside her partner, romance cop."

Oh! I did actually play this before, and yeah it is cute.

But yeah, I want serious mystery solving action and its never going to happen wahhhhhhh

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

I'll look into Aoishiro too.

Yeah, I enjoyed Aoishiro a lot too. I only skipped mentioning it because as usual most of the characters are high schoolers.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
huge list of stuff:

https://pastebin.com/N78Y5FW3

Much of it is almost certainly garbage. Some of it I barely know anything about. And I'm sure I'm missing titles (I just realised I forgot to put Butterfly Soup in there)

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

I haven't read it myself but I've heard good things about SeaBed for exactly that.
Rad. I'll play it and report back.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The Silver Case sequel The 25th Ward seems like it's going to be out tomorrow, at least in the US

it's not yuri, probably, i just wanted to mention it. like the first game the three arcs were written by different people and meant to be jumped between as you progress through the story. "Correctness" is by Suda, "Placebo" is by Masahi Ooka who also wrote the Placebo arc in the first game, and "Match Maker" is by Masahiro Yuki who worked on Fatal Frame and Deception and contributed to some later Grasshopper games.

here's a video, it doesn't have much to do with anything i just like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Mhzwu9zrc

Asperity
Jun 7, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

But yeah, I want serious mystery solving action and its never going to happen wahhhhhhh

Maybe Black Closet?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A Case of Distrust too, perhaps? I think that one's more mystery and less lesbians, though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lets hang out posted:

The Silver Case sequel The 25th Ward seems like it's going to be out tomorrow, at least in the US

it's not yuri, probably, i just wanted to mention it. like the first game the three arcs were written by different people and meant to be jumped between as you progress through the story. "Correctness" is by Suda, "Placebo" is by Masahi Ooka who also wrote the Placebo arc in the first game, and "Match Maker" is by Masahiro Yuki who worked on Fatal Frame and Deception and contributed to some later Grasshopper games.

here's a video, it doesn't have much to do with anything i just like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0Mhzwu9zrc

It's already out, my copy showed up over the weekend.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You just got it early!

Asperity
Jun 7, 2011

Really Pants posted:

A Case of Distrust too, perhaps? I think that one's more mystery and less lesbians, though.

Oh wow, that looks extremely my thing. Interesting and different animation plus detective story, like Hotel Dusk!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Early impressions of SeaBed: the art and sound seem pretty shoddily put together, and the translation is real stiff. I want to play more of it, though. I'm cautiously pessimistic.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Just finished my first go of S;G0. That was certainly a thing and I didn’t expect it to end that suddenly, now that I know how to tell the triggers apart I’m going for another go, then C;C because that game needs love too

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Higurashi is coming to the Switch and Clannad is coming to PS4.

:geno:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Higurashi on another platform, huh? It truly is an endless june

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is not exactly related to just VN's but do any English localizations of games keep the Japanese honorifics? I'm playing through Amnesia and, just like with Hakuoki, I can clearly hear them saying "senpai," "chan," whatever, but the translations don't include them.

Is Persona the only series that does this? It just feels like keeping the honorifics makes sense for a series set in Japan.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Most things don't keep them and it's kind of a lazy translation choice to leave them in because you're just assuming that the readers know what they mean. That's probably like 90% true for Persona though.

The worst thing about Atlus leaving them in is hearing English dub VA's use honourifics 😬

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 22, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Vic Mignogna: Eyyy it's Yuka-taaaan

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Have you ever seriously read a line of dialogue and thought "I cannot tell what the relationship between these characters is without the original honorific"?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not when it's been translated well but there's a certain amount of nuance to be lost when the translator isn't up to the task or simply doesn't have enough time. Which is often the case with lowest bidder stuff like videogames.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Honorifics won't magically make a bad translation good, though. That seems like putting a band-aid on a stab wound.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't say that it would, just that they start looking attractive to people who want to keep the meaning close to the original without having the time/ability to do so another way.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
When you're dealing with languages so fundamentally different like English and Japanese, tones and nuances will always be lost or altered to a pretty major degree upon translation. The way I see it is that if you're in the camp that values preserving the original feel as accurately as possible, honorifics should probably be the least of your worries even if they do happen to be the most visible and obvious example.

For that reason I don't think honorifics are necessary in a good translation, if you're gonna go with English then work fully within English instead of half-assedly throwing in one aspect of Japanese just to make people feel like they're now getting something closer to the "genuine" experience.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I didn't say that it would, just that they start looking attractive to people who want to keep the meaning close to the original without having the time/ability to do so another way.
Sure. That was a bit of a strawman, sorry. I agree that a lot of translators - sometimes even good ones - are tempted into it in the hopes of getting some free nuance out of it, but I think that's a vain hope, and actually a bit of a trap. I think people massively overstate the amount of information honorifics carry compared to other aspects of speech, including other ones that aren't present in English, like choice of first-person pronoun and plain/polite/humble verb forms. Particularly since English speakers generally won't notice a null honorific, which stands out a lot in Japanese.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Kanfy posted:

When you're dealing with languages so fundamentally different like English and Japanese, tones and nuances will always be lost or altered to a pretty major degree upon translation. The way I see it is that if you're in the camp that values preserving the original feel as accurately as possible, honorifics should probably be the least of your worries even if they do happen to be the most visible and obvious example.

For that reason I don't think honorifics are necessary in a good translation, if you're gonna go with English then work fully within English instead of half-assedly throwing in one aspect of Japanese just to make people feel like they're now getting something closer to the "genuine" experience.

Honorifics have the strange honor of being a cultural artifact, much like every other physical form of etiquette, that has the distinction of being presented entirely linguistically. As such, I don't think there's a one-way-fits-all way to handle them. In most cases, they're incidental to the story and their cultural role can be presented in other ways (the Persona games are mostly like that, despite their localization), which is when it's probably better to omit them just because they're incomprehensible if you don't already know about them. And even then, I feel some well placed "-san"s (which is pretty much universally recognized) can contribute even if you remove most of the other ones, just like French characters are often addressed in English with "monsieur" and German characters with "herr".

There are a significant amount of works out there, however, that deal directly the honorific cultural artifact as part of their on-surface text. If the characters are talking *about* honorifics and it's important, you probably want to include them in the translation, just like if they were having a conversation about, say, the proper way to bow in different situations. Good translations also find a way (hopefully not intrusive) to explain the nuances to the uncultured reader. This is hard in straight fiction and even harder in games, but it's not impossible.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

NikkolasKing posted:

This is not exactly related to just VN's but do any English localizations of games keep the Japanese honorifics? I'm playing through Amnesia and, just like with Hakuoki, I can clearly hear them saying "senpai," "chan," whatever, but the translations don't include them.

Is Persona the only series that does this? It just feels like keeping the honorifics makes sense for a series set in Japan.

Persona is an interesting example because, at least in the case of P4, they included honorifics but didn't retain the exact naming. For example by having party members use each others first names in the English version, but in the original Japanese dub some of them use each others last names without honorifics, like Chie and Yukiko addressing Yosuke by just his last name (and vice versa) and the first year members using the second years' last names with -Senpai. So Atlus' approach there was more of a middle road.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Mar 22, 2018

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

orenronen posted:

Honorifics have the strange honor of being a cultural artifact, much like every other physical form of etiquette, that has the distinction of being presented entirely linguistically. As such, I don't think there's a one-way-fits-all way to handle them. In most cases, they're incidental to the story and their cultural role can be presented in other ways (the Persona games are mostly like that, despite their localization), which is when it's probably better to omit them just because they're incomprehensible if you don't already know about them. And even then, I feel some well placed "-san"s (which is pretty much universally recognized) can contribute even if you remove most of the other ones, just like French characters are often addressed in English with "monsieur" and German characters with "herr".

There are a significant amount of works out there, however, that deal directly the honorific cultural artifact as part of their on-surface text. If the characters are talking *about* honorifics and it's important, you probably want to include them in the translation, just like if they were having a conversation about, say, the proper way to bow in different situations. Good translations also find a way (hopefully not intrusive) to explain the nuances to the uncultured reader. This is hard in straight fiction and even harder in games, but it's not impossible.

Oh sure, everything should be approached case-by-case of course, lots of different aspects play into these kinds of decisions. If there's genuine relevance to it or it's contextually justified then slavishly avoiding them is nothing but a sign of a bad translator. I don't think including them should be your default approach is all, you need to have a reason for it beyond just nuance or wanting to be "faithful to the original" which are notions I hear pretty often around this particular subject.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Mar 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Who are these people reading anime visual novels who don't know what all the honorifics mean