Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Everyone should just chill out and scroll past any post that looks vaguely like an army list like I do if they don't want to talk about lists. I figure there's going to be just as many posts after Adepticon showing sweet armies and battle reports, and if that means I have to scroll past more posts that looks like

quote:

++PRIMARIS INTERCESSOR SQUAD 1++
+PRIMARIS INTERCESSOR+
BOLT RIFLE (S4 AP-1 D1 30" RAPID FIRE 1)
FRAG GRENADE (S3 AP0 D1 6" GRENADE D6)
KRAK GRENADE (S4 AP-1 DD3 6" GRENADE 1)
BOLT PISTOL (S4 AP0 12" D1 PISTOL 1)

+PRIMARI

Then so be it.

Until then, here's some spacemen I painted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I will say that it would be nice if quotes were collapsible.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I tend to scroll past mathhammer posts. My method of fielding a good Army is to post it here and if I get attacked for fielding 5 Shield-Captains on Jetbikes, I know I’m keeping up with the meta.

Vroom vroom!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Hamshot posted:

Maybe if people weren't mathing a cool model before even knowing its points cost. It gave the impression that the thread would decry the new baby knight completely as poo poo (for either being too cheap or too expensive) if it didn't hit the threads predetermined perfect points value.

This tangent originally started because of a Warhammer Community post all about the Armiger rules. When GW posts 'here are the rules for the toy' people are going to talk about them, I don't see why that's surprising.

Neurolimal posted:

I will say that it would be nice if quotes were collapsible.

It would also be nice if Battlescribe's format was actually readable, I rarely bother reading lists posted from it because they're really annoying to parse.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Isn't all hams chat, good chat?

Where else can I vent the rampent and somewhat violent xenophobic tendancies that rack my hate filled soul, through the only accepted lense I can:

Painting and doing tedious maths calculations for little plastic models of Genetically modified murder men. In space.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bombogenesis posted:

Oh my god you're all terrible. Please give me advice so I can be terrible too.

quote:

Dork Eldar players, should I grab Mandrakes or Incubi for a deep striking melee blob? Custodes have me wanting to try it with other armies. Or Hellions I guess, since I actually have those.

Shameless self quote for new page. :toot:

Has anyone actually tried Hellions in 8th to any degree of success? I like the models but they're so...not good. Which is a shame since Gangs of Commoragh is still a great value :smith:

I mean, it depends on a few things;

Looking at it on paper, it comes down to whether you want that forward deployment from the get-go or are happy to wait until the third round to drop your Incubi in. Incubi WILL murder things once they're in, no question and by turn three, they're hitting on 2's, re-rolling charges/advances. I'd give the Klaivex the Demi-Klaives, to try and maximise the potential of D2 strikes. Mandrakes will deny early deepstrikes from the enemy in your forward line and be able to weather some fire if they're in cover. Their ranged attack is decent, as well. I'd want a max squad, though, just so the squad can survive and do its job of area denial/early objective scoring. Alternatively, two squads of five, for more denial and forcing them to split their fire.

I haven't used Hellions myself. I was going to include them in this Wych list i had written up but i wanted my menagerie of beasties.
Again, on paper, they don't seem terrible? M14" with Fly, PfP and HaR. They just suffer from being Spaeis Aelfes. You could be cheeky and have a max squad in the webway, turn up in any of the three turns, shoot the poo poo out of something, charge it if needed and then, just by them being there, force the choice of shooting at them or the other things in your army. If it gets locked in combat, you can still fall back, shoot and charge again because of HaR. /theory

They're all decent choices. It comes down to what you want to try and do with them and what you think is cool :)

Edit: I misunderstood how Mandrakes worked! When i read their rule, i thought they acted like Eldar Rangers but nope! Just deepstrike. In that case, Incubi seem a lot stronger in fewer numbers than Mandrakes. Definitely need a max squad of them to try and score those mortal wounds.

adamantium|wang posted:

The new Drew Carey codex is due out after Tau and Necrons, it might be best to hold off on retooling your lists or buying new minis until then.

Also that, yeah.

Irate Tree fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 13, 2018

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Looks like you're in this thread too bucko

gently caress. I’ve been got. Handsomeboiz roll out!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You should buy more minis of the weird drewcarey units because they're cool minis, specificallyMedusae, Clawed Fiend, Sslyth, and ur-ghul.

hold off on the guys with pointy ears though, I hear they're jerks

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurolimal posted:

You should buy more minis of the weird drewcarey units because they're cool minis, specificallyMedusae, Clawed Fiend, Sslyth, and ur-ghul.

Going to need to see some spreadsheets on the coolness levels.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Hey shut the gently caress up about points and Custodians cause I've got another B-B-BATTLEREPORT!!! and this time, it comes with some :siren:EXPERIMENTAL RULES FOR YOU TO TRY OUT:siren:

I've wanted to incorporate some Zone Mortalis rules into my campaign for a while, so we could do some sweet ship boarding action stuff, but no one was set up for it. Then it occurred to me that with everyone in my group buying the new Necromunda, we suddenly had a glut of square tiles depicting the cruddy insides of an underhive that we could use for some sweet games of 40k. So I whipped up an updated copy of the Zone Mortalis rules, updated for 8th edition. I still have a bit of work to do updating all the missions, but I've got two done and a test game with them, so they're ready for limited public consumption. So here you go!

THECHIRURGEON'S PROTOTYPE 8TH EDITION ZONE MORTALIS RULES, VERSION 0.2:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jdWaD08FxZH0pAIo2G4VJRtF7EjPaSgE/view?usp=sharing

Test them out and let me know what works, what doesn't. I haven't set up any missions with the Catastrophic Damage table yet, so feel free to add that in your game and let me know how it goes.

Anyways, on to the TEST GAME.

Tired of stompin' around on the ground, Warlord Spleenrippa' decided to take the battle to space, and took some of his finest nobz on an assault mission to capture Molloch's Despoiler-class vessel. With a success, the Orks would get a massive haul of prometheum and disrupt Black Legion teleporting efforts. Fail, and risk capture. We played the game on a 4x4 table, the Assault mission, using a mix of tiles from the base game and the Delta-7 tiles. We largely ignored tile effects unless there was a hole or collapsed wall section. The doors were randomly either accessible (1-3), or locked (4-6) on first encounter. I was defending.

The battlefield at setup, with the Defensive Stronghold I placed in the large area with the Haemotrope reactor, which served as the shield generator.

Deployment. Ork player held about half his army in reserves, to send through the pipes/vents to the three blue markers.

...which he does on Turn 1, popping out with a dread and a squad of combi-scorcha meganobz that proceeded to cook the poo poo out of my mans and destroyed the shield generator.

My terminators bust in and shoot the Meganobz to poo poo as the Ork player fails a bunch of rolls like a big dumb rear end in a top hat

This dreadnought attempts to start some poo poo after my havocs fall back from it, only to get overwatched to death by my superior Black Legion firepower

Late game I take the coward's way out, backing up into my stronghold and waiting to shoot any ork in the face that enters, but the game ends unexpectedly at the bottom of T5 and ends in a draw. The orks are repelled! ...but only just barely.

Thoughts:
- The Necromunda tiles worked great. Game was a lot of fun. Random door states were... meh. Removed those from the rules.

- The one downside is that it's hard to visualize the table/LOS with a 2-dimensional board. Map out your paths pre-game

- Interested to hear what people think of these, planning to write up the other missions this week.

- Flamers are really really good in Zone Mortalis

- Hitting on a 5+ in overwatch is also really good, and I think people underestimate it.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 13, 2018

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

Space jerks, the worst type of jerks.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Hustlin Floh posted:

Going to need to see some spreadsheets on the coolness levels.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/123IlKVe5D6fsPLGQVa3yGRwXJFqxd9t6dR9_LhONxmc/edit?usp=sharing

i left it open to editing so that it can continue to be updated as new updates emerge

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
My takeaway on the babby knights is that

a) The models are cool, and will be cool in perpetuity given that they’re a new plastic kit.

b) No matter how good or bad their rules look right now, it is basically a toss-up whether they’ll be OP deathmonsters or complete jokes six months from now... and whichever one of those they are six months from now, it’s another toss- up which they’ll be a year from now. Ans another toss-up what they’ll be a year and a half from now, and another toss-up what they’ll be two years from now, etc.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Keep in mind that the baby knights might be a lot better once the Imperial Knight codex drops

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
What's going to be the troop choice in the knights codex anyway?

Unless I see mechanical horses, I have been hard done by.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Really I'd like something like the House Varlock troops from DoW3 since those guys looked rad but it'd be hard to make them not just also imperial guard.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Foul Ole Ron posted:

New knight troops leaked, so obvious in retrospect!

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Giant Isopod posted:

Thats wood you bloody Heretic!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It's just going to be smaller and smaller knights until they get a space marine power armor knight, at which point they will take over the Imperium and institute Feudal Law

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Giant Isopod posted:

Sigh, looks like we’re back to sloppy model design for a much-needed unit. Two steps forward, one step back to the right or left.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Neurolimal posted:

It's just going to be smaller and smaller knights until they get a space marine power armor knight, at which point they will take over the Imperium and institute Feudal Law

Or just be robots in the shape of mechanical chess pieces. You could call them Metachesters.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurolimal posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/123IlKVe5D6fsPLGQVa3yGRwXJFqxd9t6dR9_LhONxmc/edit?usp=sharing

i left it open to editing so that it can continue to be updated as new updates emerge

:madmax:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PierreTheMime posted:

Sigh, looks like we’re back to sloppy model design for a much-needed unit. Two steps forward, one step back to the right or left.

Holy poo poo. :golfclap:

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

adamantium|wang posted:

The new Drew Carey codex is due out after Tau and Necrons, it might be best to hold off on retooling your lists or buying new minis until then.

I actually forgot about that! I'll probably wait to see how things shake out then.

Irate Tree posted:

I mean, it depends on a few things;

Looking at it on paper, it comes down to whether you want that forward deployment from the get-go or are happy to wait until the third round to drop your Incubi in. Incubi WILL murder things once they're in, no question and by turn three, they're hitting on 2's, re-rolling charges/advances. I'd give the Klaivex the Demi-Klaives, to try and maximise the potential of D2 strikes. Mandrakes will deny early deepstrikes from the enemy in your forward line and be able to weather some fire if they're in cover. Their ranged attack is decent, as well. I'd want a max squad, though, just so the squad can survive and do its job of area denial/early objective scoring. Alternatively, two squads of five, for more denial and forcing them to split their fire.

I haven't used Hellions myself. I was going to include them in this Wych list i had written up but i wanted my menagerie of beasties.
Again, on paper, they don't seem terrible? M14" with Fly, PfP and HaR. They just suffer from being Spaeis Aelfes. You could be cheeky and have a max squad in the webway, turn up in any of the three turns, shoot the poo poo out of something, charge it if needed and then, just by them being there, force the choice of shooting at them or the other things in your army. If it gets locked in combat, you can still fall back, shoot and charge again because of HaR. /theory

They're all decent choices. It comes down to what you want to try and do with them and what you think is cool :)

Edit: I misunderstood how Mandrakes worked! When i read their rule, i thought they acted like Eldar Rangers but nope! Just deepstrike. In that case, Incubi seem a lot stronger in fewer numbers than Mandrakes. Definitely need a max squad of them to try and score those mortal wounds.

Thanks for the :words: I think I'm leaning towards Incubi with hopes that they get a plastic release(They won't.), but if the Codex fleshes things out well enough I may just grab another Gangs box and field a bunch of Hellions and Reavers. I think the FLGS also has some Reavers still on sprue that could be fun to mix in.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Played my first game tonight with a “true” WS list against my son’s EC. 1500 points feeling things out for Nova.

First, Open War is stupid fun. Had some kind of pincer deployment with ACID RAIN that you’d roll for every turn. Oh and he got to draw a ruse card which he used to swing the game on turn 4.

Second, don’t underestimate a Maulerfiend. It killed a squad of 5 bikers, Korsarro, and my Repulsor- shown giving it a kiss below along with my favorite objective marker.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Anyone have a recommendation for the best way to pin an Inceptor so you don't have to use that stupid stand?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for the best way to pin an Inceptor so you don't have to use that stupid stand?

Short pin into the stand + 2 part epoxy instead of superglue/plastic glue. Or something with a ball magnet and ring magnet, but I don't know what sizes you use there.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I legitimately like the stand a lot for everything aside from transportation, and even then if I had a better case I don't think it would be an issue. You can do some fairly neat poses with them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Biovores looked fun. Finecast is bullshit. Solution?

GENESTEALER CULTIST INFECTED MORTAR PLATFORMS LOBBING SPORE MINES, MOTHERFUCKER.

I pieced together twenty mortars from the bits bin for $9 total. I need bases and some dudes for them. Going to try to get some used Neophyte Hybrids and some extra spore mines because I'm going to need a lot of them.

In other news, I still can't beat my friend's Chaos list. That giant Cultist blob with all those spells on it is going to give me nightmares. 70+ shots that hit on 3s, reroll 1s to hit, and have +1 to wound. Ugh. Maybe a dozen or so Biovores can turn the tide.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 13, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

Short pin into the stand + 2 part epoxy instead of superglue/plastic glue. Or something with a ball magnet and ring magnet, but I don't know what sizes you use there.

I can buy whatever size I need. Which do you use?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I just use the pin and epoxy, that's why I don't know what size magnets to use.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Chaplains are the coolest Space Marine unit, but are they ever actually worth using?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

Chaplains are the coolest Space Marine unit, but are they ever actually worth using?

I don’t know that they’d ever be optimal but they’re perfectly useable. A terminator chaplain along with a squad of TH/SS Terminators in a transport could be fun. I’m going to run one with a jump pack alongside my Death Company since I generally prefer unnamed characters even though Lemartes is like 10x better.

I really do want an excuse to get that terminator chaplain model. One of my favorite models in the marine range even if it doesn’t fit in well with the lists I run.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I used two 1/8" magnets. One on the stand itself and one in the backpack. Works pretty well.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

I get decent work out of running a Wolf Priest with my Reivers.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well I've subscribed to the Conquest part work so I'll be building a new force of Primaris slowly over a year and a half. Deathguard I'll do in the standard scheme, not my bone scheme, and have them as a different Vectorum.

The question is what chapter to do them as?

I'm torn between Minotaurs and Lamenters. I've been trying to find the chapter badges for Lamenters on Shapeways, but I'm also tempted by Salamanders.

Is there still an online source for Lamenters symbols you can glue on shoulder pads?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stephenls posted:

My takeaway on the babby knights is that

a) The models are cool, and will be cool in perpetuity given that they’re a new plastic kit.

b) No matter how good or bad their rules look right now, it is basically a toss-up whether they’ll be OP deathmonsters or complete jokes six months from now... and whichever one of those they are six months from now, it’s another toss- up which they’ll be a year from now. Ans another toss-up what they’ll be a year and a half from now, and another toss-up what they’ll be two years from now, etc.

After reflecting at length I've decided not only is this correct but I need them. There will be some vague synergism with everything else I want to use in terms of "go forwards, shoot, assault" and that's good enough for me.

Will they get shot off the table in no time flat by a shadowsword or something? Probably, but I don't care. Battlemechs good.

Question at the moment is will they compete with Redemptors because they seem somewhat comparable apart from the speed.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

DancingShade posted:

After reflecting at length I've decided not only is this correct but I need them. There will be some vague synergism with everything else I want to use in terms of "go forwards, shoot, assault" and that's good enough for me.

Will they get shot off the table in no time flat by a shadowsword or something? Probably, but I don't care. Battlemechs good.

Question at the moment is will they compete with Redemptors because they seem somewhat comparable apart from the speed.

I think they won't compete with the Redemptors anti-horde build. If you go Redemptors as anti horde with a little anti air then they'll complement each other nicely. Armingers kill tanks, Redemptors kill hordes.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Pendent posted:

I don’t know that they’d ever be optimal but they’re perfectly useable. A terminator chaplain along with a squad of TH/SS Terminators in a transport could be fun. I’m going to run one with a jump pack alongside my Death Company since I generally prefer unnamed characters even though Lemartes is like 10x better.

I really do want an excuse to get that terminator chaplain model. One of my favorite models in the marine range even if it doesn’t fit in well with the lists I run.

The Terminator Chaplain is one of my favourite ever models. I kind of want to get another one because I bought mine in like 2009 and I think I could do a much better job of painting him now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I am keeping a metal one in blister waiting for the right time to paint him.

I painted one before and it was great fun to paint.