Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Though I heard that the dude is a mayor douchenozzle, I still think Daron's painted (lacquered?) Ibanez Icemen looked alright:

I think his dad painted them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I still find myself wanting an Iceman every time I see one. Maybe that'll be my next guitar purchase.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Holy poo poo this is dope.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fwiw my AliExpress rickenbacker is pretty nice for the money. I’m never going to claim it’s as good as original but perfectly good for the money.

DO IT

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

What do the headstocks say on those Chinese knockoff guitars? They always angle the picture so you can't read it. Does it say Gibson or some other thing?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Most will say Gibson(even on the Epiphone clones), some sellers offer custom logos or headstock shapes. Depending on your country, it might get confiscated if it says Gibson. US customs doesn't seem to really care as long as you're not bringing them in by the boatload.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i want one that says gobson or something

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Pretty tempted to score a double cutaway les paul jr or an sg junior off aliexpress right now! Cheap beater guitars are my Achilles heel, apparently.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Get this one.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Wark Say posted:

Though I heard that the dude is a mayor douchenozzle, I still think Daron's painted (lacquered?) Ibanez Icemen looked alright:

I think his dad painted them?

He may be a douche, but I still love his playing style, and those hand painted Icemen are the bomb.

Ok, I've seen this one before, but never got why there are two killswitches? Is it just because he has his hands in different positions for different songs/styles? One for each pickup? One that closes the gate when pressed and one that opens?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

Fwiw my AliExpress rickenbacker is pretty nice for the money. I’m never going to claim it’s as good as original but perfectly good for the money.

DO IT
No joke, I am tempted to buy a cheap Mayones knock-off.

kjetting posted:

He may be a douche, but I still love his playing style, and those hand painted Icemen are the bomb.

Ok, I've seen this one before, but never got why there are two killswitches? Is it just because he has his hands in different positions for different songs/styles? One for each pickup? One that closes the gate when pressed and one that opens?
It appears to be A and B, from the looks of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWvY-6WBhXQ

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Malaria posted:

What do the headstocks say on those Chinese knockoff guitars? They always angle the picture so you can't read it. Does it say Gibson or some other thing?

Mine said Gibson. Plays just fine.

In bizarre side news with that, the seller has occasionally contacted me to try and reach out to people in North America who are backing out of paying or refusing shipment. I've pretended to not see those messages.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

kjetting posted:

They both function the same, it's just preference as to which he wants to play. His original guitars, before he got the deal with Gibson, only had a single switch.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
So I've been looking at fretless basses at a local website market page for some time, and came across two pretty good candidates for this thread.

This self-made custom beauty for a measly 1000 euros.

That's a steal, even if you have to get the pickups and electronics yourself:

But don't worry if that's too pricey for you, we've got you covered! This guy took a few chunks out of the bass and the savings are passed on to you:

The bottom one isn't nearly as Stupid Music poo poo™ as the above one, but it's like someone took two sizeable bites out of a Warwick.

Speaking of which, does anyone else find Warwicks atrocious?

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Sorry for the double post, but I just hit the mother lode.

I was trying to find a picture of a friend's guitar, a custom made horrorshow he paid 4000 for. But I came across something much, much worse.

http://www.amfisound.fi/gallery

I mean, who doesn't want an 8 string Egyptian theme guitar, with an Anubis headstock:

Or whatever this is:

Wait, this doesn't look that bad...

Ok, nevermind. The stupid was there, you just had to look.

They have basses too.

You may be hard pressed to find a case for that, but worry not, for it's included.

The amount of what in my head is exceeding dangerous levels, but I was still asking myself, who wants to play these things?

This guy:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Funny, the first guitar seemed something Karl Sanders might be into.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I kind of like that Egyptar but cannot justify that opinion at all

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If the headstock wasn't so dorky it would be a badass guitar

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Wugga posted:

I mean, who doesn't want an 8 string Egyptian theme guitar, with an Anubis headstock:

I... I want this.

Wugga posted:

Or whatever this is:

Wayne Charvel Hydra. Possibly a copy. I don't think I've ever seen one out in the wild.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

kjetting posted:

As far as I know both buttons work as an "off when pressed switch. They are both the same as far as I know. But yeah it's mostly a hand position thing I think. He definitely uses both switches.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
the shovel bass rules

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I remember him saying in one interview quite a few years ago (this was probably during the time he was in GNR) that he got a Baritone guitar because most standard-scale guitars felt like toys to him or something.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Wark Say posted:

I remember him saying in one interview quite a few years ago (this was probably during the time he was in GNR) that he got a Baritone guitar because most standard-scale guitars felt like toys to him or something.

Buckethead is huge. Like he's like 6'6" or some poo poo. Then add another 6+ inches for the bucket and he looks like a 7 foot tall weirdo towering over everyone on stage. And he has giant hands. He used to play custom made Jackson King V's that were oversized because regular sized guitars look funny when he holds them. His Gibson model's body is oversized too. Like it's way bigger than an actual Les Paul, also IIRC he's extra weird and plays in standard or just half a step down tuning on a baritone scale neck.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Dang, that is definitely a family sized buckethead.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
An extremely stupid music poo poo thing is all the drunk conspiracy theories around Buckethead, like he was really Slash when he played with GnR, or that he's really Peter Steele who faked his death when he finally grew out of his goth phase.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Verizian posted:

An extremely stupid music poo poo thing is all the drunk conspiracy theories around Buckethead, like he was really Slash when he played with GnR, or that he's really Peter Steele who faked his death when he finally grew out of his goth phase.

Pretty sure people thought he was Paul Gilbert at one point too.

It's extra weird because there is literally only a few pictures of him without the mask, and they are from the 80's.

He doesn't really do interviews out of character either , which adds to the weirdness. He did a podcast awhile back though and I think it's the only interview he's ever done where he was just being himself and not talking through a hand puppet.

That seems so weird to type out.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Malaria posted:

Buckethead is huge. Like he's like 6'6" or some poo poo. Then add another 6+ inches for the bucket and he looks like a 7 foot tall weirdo towering over everyone on stage. And he has giant hands. He used to play custom made Jackson King V's that were oversized because regular sized guitars look funny when he holds them. His Gibson model's body is oversized too. Like it's way bigger than an actual Les Paul, also IIRC he's extra weird and plays in standard or just half a step down tuning on a baritone scale neck.
Yeah, totally. Saw him live as a solo artist and he had that wooden-colored Jackson and holy poo poo that guitar was so loving badass. I also remember taking a picture with Thurston Moore like over a decade ago and despite the fact that I am relatively tall for a Mexican kid (6'2'' / 188 cm), dude was a good deal taller than me. Same with Derrick from Sepultura. Huge rocker/metal guys are just like :stare:

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
high-end crystal music program

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/prs-private-stock-custom-24-8-string-electric-guitar/j45152000001000?pfm=item_page.SDOTDrr1|ClickEV

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

lol the review owns

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Really stupid (but hilarious) music poo poo right there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I like this a lot

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I like this a lot

But how are you going to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity you need?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
a delorean-themed guitar should come with a briefcase of coke

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The Muppets On PCP posted:

a delorean-themed guitar should come with a briefcase of coke

Time to call Electric Larry!

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Wugga posted:

This guy:

Get back to work, Gerald, the project steering committee is meeting in ten minutes

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

I kind of like that Egyptar but cannot justify that opinion at all

The headstock is insane, and worse, it's tacky.

But the paintjob looks actually cool and unique.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

Stupid Music poo poo in the sense of being annoying: hand-shaping a brass nut. Bone may smell bad but at least you don't need to double-check your tooling to make sure you're not just lightly scraping it.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

Stupid doublepost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jr. posted:

Stupid Music poo poo in the sense of being annoying: hand-shaping a brass nut. Bone may smell bad but at least you don't need to double-check your tooling to make sure you're not just lightly scraping it.

Is this what masturbation is like in the primitive future dystopia?