Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

The NDA was signed 2 weeks before the election, wasn't it? I think that constitutes as "political aspirations". Also I'm not even sure what you're arguing. Are you saying she's making it all up? Because even Sarah Sanders has verified that its legit.

IANAL but they don't seem to be in the need of proof of why Trump didn't sign, because its clear he didn't sign. Their case is that since he never signed the NDA is void. I have no idea if that's legally sound but his motivation for not signing seems secondary.

Also he alleged they have prove. Its been inferred she has photos, texts, or recordings.

But regardless the lawyer felt that this was just a deliberate action to distance him from it the same way he handles so many other business deals he never really intends to follow through on.

I wasn't sure when it was signed. What i'm getting at is that either he signed and was aware (clearly not the case unless Stormy's about to commit suicide via lawsuit) or didn't sign and wasn't aware. NDA's are quite different from business mergers, there's no benefit at all from him knowing and not signing it.

I'm not attacking Stormy's character, just saying that it has to be a very weird situation if she's telling the truth about him being aware of the NDA and didnt sign, and that it will be a fairly heavy burden of proof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Wistful of Dollars posted:

The barbarians aren't at the gates; they're already inside.

Reminder Blanco got that metaphor wrong too.

Like the witch hunt and the "defending the castle from outside??!?!" are his two biggest fuckups.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

Nah, it doesn't. Qualcomm and Huawei are the only competitors for 5G chips. If Broadcom acquires Qualcomm, they will break it up and kill its chances of competing effectively, handing victory to the Chinese (government).

So yeah, there are legitimate national security issues with a major telecommunications technology being solely controlled by China.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/03/10/qualcomm-vs-broadcom/

I honestly agree with that. The speed of the 'veto' as described does seem odd. Maybe form a narrative, get public support, force dems to agree with you publicly. but lol trump lol

I wonder that if it were a firm in a different country, if it would have been axed so quickly. God forbid if it were a Russian company.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I'm also changing the words back to "And also with you" so that the next time one of my relatives dies, I'm not confused by all this "And with your spirit" stuff.
You got my vote! *burns white smoke*

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Admiral posted:

That caught me out after starting work at a Catholic School. I'm not religious at all, but I did attend a Catholic High School myself, and when I had to attend the first staff mass, I was pretty psyched that I was still going to remember some of the call and response stuff.

loving NOPE. Cheeky bastards, changing the words.

It actually was severely deeply upsetting to me, no joke, and like, whatever, it's probably a good thing. Maybe it's a more accurate translation or something that better reflects our times, I don't know. But like, trying to explain to my Jewish wife some of the important things of being raised Catholic, despite leaving the Church, I wanted her to understand some of the comfort of a community coming together and saying (or singing) a set of magic words, binding everyone into some kind of harmony and creating normalcy, all things that could have actually served as a comfort to me and a confirmation of my identity. It just soured the whole experience and made me think more about the things I hated about being raised Catholic, like the CCD class I had to take where the teacher wrote "SEX = FIRE" over and over again on the board. It felt like they took out all the window-dressing and comfort, like all the ugliness of the Church that my poor mother worked for for 27 years was still there, but I was in the BerensTAIN, Universe, where all the stuff I'd grown up with was perverted in some kind of Twilight Zone-esque way.

.........Anyway, it was pretty funny when Trump got mad at Sean Spicer and wouldn't let him come along to visit the Pope.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ummel posted:

I honestly agree with that. The speed of the 'veto' as described does seem odd. Maybe form a narrative, get public support, force dems to agree with you publicly. but lol trump lol

I wonder that if it were a firm in a different country, if it would have been axed so quickly. God forbid if it were a Russian company.

The techcrunch article goes into a lot of detail. Basically, Intel is the second largest chipmaker in the world, and is investing heavily in 5G in the hopes that it can get a nice chunk of the market as the third player (alongside Qualcomm and Huawei). But if Broadcom acquires Qualcomm and then sells its 5G assets to Huawei, Intel, and by proxy the US, would be hosed.

So what most likely happened is that Intel lobbyists sounded the emergency alarm bells and got the US government to block the merger, which is why it happened so quickly.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

https://twitter.com/preetbharara/status/973381983865901057?s=21

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

:boom: and he's probably not wrong.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
Putin would only shoot someone if it was with a hidden polonium dart in an umbrella like he's the loving Penguin

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Trazz posted:

Putin would only shoot someone if it was with a hidden polonium dart in an umbrella like he's the loving Penguin

Or actual Novichok holy poo poo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Crabtree posted:

A lovely world and politics can age you.

Wasn't she shot in the head? I think that might put a few years on you.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
It's completely baffling that the Russian uk embassy just flat out admits that they offed the guy. I'm not sure getting into a kanly with Russia is a smart thing, but for all intents and purposes Putin already started it. 10-20 oligarchs should do to put the pressure on. I wouldn't want to be in Teresa Mays shoes though.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So I don't get the GOP's angle on closing off the House investigation with a full exhoneration - surely they'd be doing better at the mid-terms with independent/undecided if they could keep up the facade of "we're the checks and balances on the madman", if they strung along the investigation forever? What exactly do they gain with this?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

canepazzo posted:

So I don't get the GOP's angle on closing off the House investigation with a full exhoneration - surely they'd be doing better at the mid-terms with independent/undecided if they could keep up the facade of "we're the checks and balances on the madman", if they strung along the investigation forever? What exactly do they gain with this?

Trump stops yelling at them to end it.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

canepazzo posted:

We can't ask because they keep jumping out of Ubers and running into the woods only to emerge hours later from under a white house buffet table.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

canepazzo posted:

What exactly do they gain with this?

A bit of rhetorical chaff. Any discussion about this issue for the next six months is going to start with some Trump supporter saying 'But the House exonerated him on all charges!' and having to deal with that little bit of bullshit. Also, a whole ton of lower-information voters are gonna see this in the headlines and think that because the House GOP exonerated him, that the issue is over.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

canepazzo posted:

Fox wanted something to talk about.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Republicans posted:

Trump stops yelling at them to end it.

About time too. He yelled at them through twitter to DO SOMETHING! like five months ago. :v:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

axeil posted:

Who was the actual favorite among the Russian people post-Gorbachev?

My knowledge of Russian history post-1990 is the "the Red Army shells the Kremlin", the USSR collapses, their economy is hosed, Yeltsin is elected and is a drunken failure, Putin elected and then becomes a strongman dictator constantly trying to project the aura of power because Russia is a complete joke domestically.

this is almost absurdly wrong. for starters it was the white house that was shelled in 1993 in the final anti-democratic coup by yeltsin, not the soviet "hardliners" who masterminded the short-lived but bloodless 1991 uprising. it was this subversion of parliamentary authority that paved the way for the current russian constitution, which vests a great deal of power in the office of the president. but because yeltsin was "our guy" this caught nary a complaint from the west, and in fact led to the interference in the 1996 election people have already posted about

the west propped up yeltsin, and yeltsin chose putin as his successor. yet again, the us finds itself facing a problem of its own making and has conveniently suffered amnesia where causes are concerned

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

R. Guyovich posted:

the west propped up yeltsin, and yeltsin chose putin as his successor. yet again, the us finds itself facing a problem of its own making and has conveniently suffered amnesia where causes are concerned

To be fair, this isn't limited to politics.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!

Mustached Demon posted:

Fox wanted something to talk about.

Could be? Maybe they're hoping all day Fox coverage will energize voters in PA.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bronze posted:

Could be? Maybe they're hoping all day Fox coverage will energize voters in PA.

Meanwhile everyone else likely to vote tomorrow doesn't buy gently caress all of their poo poo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

canepazzo posted:

The majority of people don’t know that there are multiple investigations going on and that they are all different. The don’t know there’s a House investigations, a Senate investigation, and the Mueller investigation. They just know that there is “a” investigation about the fake news trump Russia thing, and now they “know” that trump has been exonerated by the investigation.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

The majority of people don’t know that there are multiple investigations going on and that they are all different. The don’t know there’s a House investigations, a Senate investigation, and the Mueller investigation. They just know that there is “a” investigation about the fake news trump Russia thing, and now they “know” that trump has been exonerated by the investigation.

The majority of the people? Or his base?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I saw some speculating that the House ruling was timed to help the PA election. Some speculating that it was another preventive strike against a Mueller bomb like we've seen before his indictments. While it's all possible I think it's all over thinking.

The second the House Committee took up this "investigation" it was intended to end this way, with a joke of an effort that they could point to and pretend they did their jobs and a rubber stamped "cleared of all charges" that they'll go back to every time someone talks about Russia, Mueller, Manafort, or whatever.

From now on every time we get a story we'll hear"The House did an exhaustive investigation and already cleared President Trump". Even if Mueller wants to press charges and people call for Ryan to impeach he'll say "he was already cleared". It was all a transparent cover from the second Nunes did his little stunt running around DC. The timing is academic. Maybe it will coincide with a big news story or indictment or scandal, but with this Administration youve got better than even odds of that every week.

Remember Trump is appealing to the "we won that Syria thing" and "Obama couldn't get Bin Laden" base. Now we'll all spend the rest of our lives arguing with idiots that Trump wasn't cleared by the fbi or Mueller or anyone but half a dozen Republicans.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 13, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

STAC Goat posted:

I saw some speculating that the House ruling was timed to help the PA election. Some speculating that it was another preventive strike against a Mueller bomb like we've seen before his indictments. While it's all possible I think it's all over thinking.

The second the House Committee took up this "investigation" it was intended to end this way, with a joke of an effort that they could point to and pretend they did their jobs and a rubber stamped "cleared of all charges" that they'll go back to every time someone talks about Russia, Mueller, Manafort, or whatever.

From now on every time we get a story we'll hear"The House did an exhaustive investigation and already cleared President Trump". Even if Mueller wants to press charges and people call for Ryan to impeach he'll say "he was already cleared". It was all a transparent cover from the second Nunes did his little stunt running around DC. The timing is academic. Maybe it will coincide with a big news story or indictment or scandal, but with this Administration youve got better than even odds of that every week.

That last paragraph was what I was going at too.

Like DACA and shutting down the government it’s about messaging. The Nazis in office just sent a message that Trump is innocent. This is what all the news media is going to repeat now.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

bogoodski posted:

Random, and out of curiosity (new thread's got me questioning things (like: life, its meaning, and other existential but equally important deliberations, such as the following)): Is it pretty common among this thread's participants to visit this thread exclusively on SA?

I guess I've posted a few times in the anime section about my excursion into that genre. But, it just occurred to me that I literally paid to register here without even exploring anywhere else.

Is there anywhere else on here worth exploring? Do I need to don protection when venturing out of the safe confines of the Trump thread?

I visit the various forums in the Games section. The Let's Play section in particular has some excellent threads.

Also the thread on Brexit is nice so you can see the trainwreck that the UK referenda's itself into.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

Admiral posted:

That caught me out after starting work at a Catholic School. I'm not religious at all, but I did attend a Catholic High School myself, and when I had to attend the first staff mass, I was pretty psyched that I was still going to remember some of the call and response stuff.

loving NOPE. Cheeky bastards, changing the words.

Dangit, that’s the only thing I enjoy about being forced to go every 8 years or so. Remembering all of those words burned into my brain that are now apparently useless.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RBA-Wintrow posted:

I visit the various forums in the Games section. The Let's Play section in particular has some excellent threads.

Also the thread on Brexit is nice so you can see the trainwreck that the UK referenda's itself into.

Asktell is quite good.

Other threads in this subforum can have a good signal to noise ratio depending, e.g. the Africa thread is pretty good if slow.

Goons with spoons is educational and the MRE thread is a forums highlight.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Boris Galerkin posted:

That last paragraph was what I was going at too.

Like DACA and shutting down the government it’s about messaging. The Nazis in office just sent a message that Trump is innocent. This is what all the news media is going to repeat now.

yeah they sure are saying just that.

My prediction based purely on spite: Mueller has Nunes dead to rights and has made his move.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh please who actually thinks Trump wouldn't wuss out and sign it anyway.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

R. Guyovich posted:

this is almost absurdly wrong. for starters it was the white house that was shelled in 1993 in the final anti-democratic coup by yeltsin, not the soviet "hardliners" who masterminded the short-lived but bloodless 1991 uprising. it was this subversion of parliamentary authority that paved the way for the current russian constitution, which vests a great deal of power in the office of the president. but because yeltsin was "our guy" this caught nary a complaint from the west, and in fact led to the interference in the 1996 election people have already posted about

This documentary gives a pretty good breakdown: https://vimeo.com/1223566

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Neurolimal posted:

I wasn't sure when it was signed. What i'm getting at is that either he signed and was aware (clearly not the case unless Stormy's about to commit suicide via lawsuit) or didn't sign and wasn't aware. NDA's are quite different from business mergers, there's no benefit at all from him knowing and not signing it.

I'm not attacking Stormy's character, just saying that it has to be a very weird situation if she's telling the truth about him being aware of the NDA and didnt sign, and that it will be a fairly heavy burden of proof.

At this point, does it really matter (to anyone besides Stormy Daniels)? The hush contract is in the public record, and that's enough for the court of public opinion.

And, well, hardcore Trumpists didn't care that he has a history of adultery and self-admitted sexual assault, but the damage is done as far as centrists are concerned.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
To continue the Yeltsin derail, it's hard to overstate just what an absolute disaster this guy was for Russia and the other post-soviet states that just completely went to poo poo after the USSR collapsed. Gorbachev gets a lot of poo poo (or praise, depending on your ideological bent) for the dissolution of the USSR, but he actually fought like hell to keep some kind of union based on socialist principles together. It was Yeltsin (in his role as president of the Russian Socialist Republic) that sat down in secret with - if I remember correctly - the presidents of the Ukrainian and Belorussian SRs and agreed that their respective republics would leave the Soviet Union, thus leaving the USSR a hollow shell consisting of a few central asian republics and - by pure coincidence! - leaving Yeltsin as top dog in the wreckage.

In short, gently caress Yeltsin and gently caress the short-sighted idiots in the west who hailed him as a champion of democracy.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/ProBirdRights/status/973461561439170560

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yo i went to bed yesterday at this point but i just wanted to say:

axeil posted:

See edit.

edit: the guy who runs that site is a complete crackpot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Chossudovsky

Bit hard to accept anything from there as legitimate.

thanks for pointing that out, i wasn't aware the site was garbage. the story is still correct, it was just the first link i found.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Birb is about seven times smarter and eleventy times more reliable than Trump.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

oh hmmmm i wonder who just loving named him

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/973513962330447872

There's your collusion right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/973513962330447872

Roger Stone is not a smart man.