Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

I thought this forced white peace poo poo was gone. Is that not until 2.2? Just hosed myself over in a war because of this.

Forced white peace is gone in the beta patch. You just stop earning influence and unity at 100% war weariness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I can see the gameplay role they're trying to fill, Wiz even said they were add to punish not having pretty borders, but as they are now they're just not fun. But I have a strong feeling next major update will fix things with their hint at trade.

Imagine making smaller fleets and setting them to "protect trade" mission in a region which would reduce piracy percentages and keep them away from your delicious trade routes. This would be a bold and never before seen mechanic in a paradox game.

In a way outer space would turn into a sort of an ocean, like our own ocean, or our sea?

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Well that was weird, I attacked the Marauders who were listed as equivalent in fleet force. But I never saw a ship and when I grabbed their last planet they "died".

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

War Exhaustion system needs some balance work for sure, but what you're seeing is the enemy basically do a fighting retreat to try to cost you as much exhaustion as possible. You run in with you 3k fleet and quickly win against their 1k fleet but they took 0 losses and you lost 2 corvettes. You just gained exhaustion and they didn't. Their fleet then heals up at their home world and goes out again to harass you. Actually invading and occupying planets barely gives any score strangely, you need to not just win battles but kill ships. But how do you do this when they keep escaping? You have to chase them, you have to blitz as quickly and deeply as you can into their territory and hopefully get to their homeworld or where ever their fleet is going when it retreats. Then you hit them hard again while they're damaged and this time you wipe out their fleet, and finally you get the needed exhaustion to go from like 30/50 in their favour to like 80/50 in yours.

And don't forget that just because you have higher exhaustion than them doesn't mean you are losing. For instance I wanted a couple enemy systems, just a couple claims to make pretty borders. I had no intention of ground invasions or pressing deeper, just take those 2 systems and park my fleet on them. Because they kept using emergency FTL to run away, and because I needed to keep my fleets parked there and couldn't repair, my exhaustion went up much higher. Every battle I'd kill 0-2 of their ships while they'd whittle down a few of mine. Finally when I was sitting at about 70% exhaustion and them at 60% I saw they'd accept a status quo peace. Status quo was at +1 but a full victory was at -70 or so, even though the outcome was functionally the same. I got my two systems.

Remember, it's a forced (or heavily pushed) status quo peace when you get to 100% exhaustion, not a surrender. As long as you can take and hold your objective for long enough you'll get it. Of course this makes things like vassalization wars nearly impossible since those require a big official victory. In the new war system status quo peace is your friend and what you'll be gunning for.

This is really helpful. I had no idea you kept occupied systems in a status quo peace. This changes literally a lot about how I thought that war was going.

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

You can build over your naval capacity, it's just expensive.

This is not 'Nam, this is Stellaris. There are rules.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Young Hegelian posted:

This is really helpful. I had no idea you kept occupied systems in a status quo peace. This changes literally a lot about how I thought that war was going.

If you have claims on the systems you keep them, I believe. Someone will correct this if it's wrong I'm sure, but unless it's a Containment/Total War I believe you need a claim on the system to keep it in status quo.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Young Hegelian posted:

Only claimed systems, though. That's an important note. Unclaimed systems revert to the original owner. You keep everything only if you are a fanatic purifier or other total war civ type who cannot make claims.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The Scourge end-game crisis is bugged for me and two of the planets are stuck as owned by them rather than infested. Endless war combined with a rather lucklustre AI that can't fight them on their own (I'm on the other side of the galaxy) means I'm slowly losing ground to the spawn rules (doesn't stop until they have over 2000 ships?!), hooray. :suicide:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's fixed in the latest beta patch!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
So it did, with the caveat that "Infested Worlds" is now a negative number after I burned out three worlds that were stuck in this fashion.

EDIT: Orrrrr five now. What is this nonsense?

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 13, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Gadzuko posted:

Only claimed systems, though. That's an important note. Unclaimed systems revert to the original owner.

You keep everything only if you are a fanatic purifier or other total war civ type who cannot make claims.

Or if you are fighting such a civ (purifiers, awakened empires, empires that have a Colossus) using a Containment/End Threat CB.

But yes, in a normal war of conquest status quo peace is not the end of the world, and if it is you're fighting the war incorrectly. The point is to kill the fleet to allow you to accomplish your objectives, not necessarily for the sake of warscore. (WE in 2.0 is LIKE warscore but manifestly not the same thing.)

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Or if you are fighting such a civ (purifiers, awakened empires, empires that have a Colossus) using a Containment/End Threat CB.

But yes, in a normal war of conquest status quo peace is not the end of the world, and if it is you're fighting the war incorrectly. The point is to kill the fleet to allow you to accomplish your objectives, not necessarily for the sake of warscore. (WE in 2.0 is LIKE warscore but manifestly not the same thing.)

I bought this game, I believe, the day that 2.0 came out, so a lot of the guides are tailored to explaining changes from a system I never learned.

Y'all are great. Thanks for the help!

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Gadzuko posted:

Forced white peace is gone in the beta patch. You just stop earning influence and unity at 100% war weariness.

This needed to be changed in a big way. As it is now, you are pretty much resigned to losing systems in a two-front war, even if you have enough naval power to totally crush both enemies. This happened in two successive games, one where I was a determined exterminator machine race, and my current game, where I'm playing a hive mind. Basically, I had a situation where the two enemies on opposite sides of my empire would simultaneously declare war, and while my navy was strong enough to beat theirs one at a time, I didn't quite have the power to split my forces and defend both fronts simultaneously. So I'd go to one front, absolutely turbofuck one invading force; meanwhile, the other enemy had a merry old time just taking system after system, and even when I did get around to crushing their navy with relative ease, I'd hit 100% exhaustion and end up with a forced white peace at the expense of a few systems. The frustrating part is that I was easily on track to retake every system they'd occupied in a couple more months of game time, but that arbitrary exhaustion timer meant I had to accept the loss. The tradeoff of losing influence and unity for a few months to mop up a war I'd otherwise pretty conclusively won would have been most welcome.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Sorry for the slow reply, I missed you stating your difficulty among scanning pages. I run on hard/aggressive as well, with 4 spiral 1.0 hyperlanes. So the same setting as what you've got going on, and I have had pirates spiral out of control exactly 1 time. That was when the pirate base spawn in a system with some 2k neutral threat so I couldn't go blow up the station, and the waves of attacks eventually got me.

To Young Hegelian, you can't build over a fleet's command limit, but you can build another fleet to go over your empire's ship limit. Just like you can go over your starbase limit, or core system limit. All of those just apply a penalty of various types, and depending on how your various incomes are you might be able to absorb it. For example if you're playing a Devouring Swarm Hive Mind with a big energy surplus, taking a penalty to energy income isn't a big deal since you have literally no energy dumps.

edit: to the kitty above me, was it possible to build fortified star bases on one border with a small defense fleet to hold against one guy while your other front is where you actually push (with 2 decent sized fleets)?

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 13, 2018

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Kaza42 posted:

In that case yeah, this should be 100% feasible. I believe you want the on_tech_increased action, and just add all of your events to the block (or make your own block in your own file, as described on the stellaris wiki).

Here's some modding help, not sure if you need it or not. If you already know all this, feel free to disregard me.

There are two obvious ways to handle it. Either you have a different event for each tech you want a description for, or you have conditional descriptions for a single event. The latter is less work to write, but the former is easier to read and manage (in my opinion, your personal organizational views/needs may vary).

Since each empire can only research a tech once, you don't need to worry about flags or anything to prevent repeat events. I'd suggest adding an is_ai=no trigger to the event(s) to cut down slightly on lag. Even without it, I doubt it's a big deal though. Here's an example event you could do

code:
country_event = {
	id = techflavor.1
	title = techflavor.1.name
	desc = techflavor.1.desc
        picture = GFX_evt_ship_in_orbit

is_triggered_only = yes

trigger = {
		is_ai = no
		has_technology = tech_destroyers
	}

option = {
		name = "OK"
	}
}
If you add techflavor.1 to the on_tech_increased onaction definition, then any time a player empire researches Destroyers, they'll get a popup with techflavor.1.name at the top of the window and techflavor.1.desc as the body and "OK" as the confirmation button. Then you just have a localisation file with techflavor.1.name and techflavor.1.desc defined in it, and you've got a flavor box.

A pro post, thank you. I'm very familiar with making mods with Bethesda games, so editing text files should be no problem. Really appreciate the write up, I'll be off and working on this in no time.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

HappyKitty posted:

This needed to be changed in a big way. As it is now, you are pretty much resigned to losing systems in a two-front war, even if you have enough naval power to totally crush both enemies. This happened in two successive games, one where I was a determined exterminator machine race, and my current game, where I'm playing a hive mind. Basically, I had a situation where the two enemies on opposite sides of my empire would simultaneously declare war, and while my navy was strong enough to beat theirs one at a time, I didn't quite have the power to split my forces and defend both fronts simultaneously. So I'd go to one front, absolutely turbofuck one invading force; meanwhile, the other enemy had a merry old time just taking system after system, and even when I did get around to crushing their navy with relative ease, I'd hit 100% exhaustion and end up with a forced white peace at the expense of a few systems. The frustrating part is that I was easily on track to retake every system they'd occupied in a couple more months of game time, but that arbitrary exhaustion timer meant I had to accept the loss. The tradeoff of losing influence and unity for a few months to mop up a war I'd otherwise pretty conclusively won would have been most welcome.

I don't see why it is a bad thing that if you get yourself into a two-front war without the ability to protect both fronts that you should just get to turbofuck each of them sequentially. Instead of doing that it seems like a reasonable situation and interesting strategic decision to fight a defensive war to prevent losses.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Gyshall posted:

A pro post, thank you. I'm very familiar with making mods with Bethesda games, so editing text files should be no problem. Really appreciate the write up, I'll be off and working on this in no time.

As a final bit of advice, the wikis are great. The stellaris one is a little lacking, but the mod structure has not significantly changed since EU4, and the EU4 modding wiki pages are some of the best I've ever seen.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

A devouring swarm hive mind should actually be able to handle a two front war, because you get a nice bonus to fleet cap. So you can shove that extra onto a heavy defensive station border, then station your main fleet on the front you want to push on. Against the AI you can let them attack into you and then counter push into his territory after that.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
In my fanatic purifier games I actually can get by without anchorages at all (for a suprisingly long time), because you get so much free naval cap. Which means shipyards/crew quarters on every single border starbase. Upgrade and repair everywhere. It makes you ridiculously mobile strategically.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 13, 2018

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gyshall posted:

When you finish this, post it to the thread, I'd love a mod that did that.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I upped my econ game one step further.

I now dismantle the starting shipyward and fleet hookup for more energy each month. (I am playing lifeseeded and thus need that to be my trading hub until I can get to other planets.)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AtomikKrab posted:

I upped my econ game one step further.

I now dismantle the starting shipyward and fleet hookup for more energy each month. (I am playing lifeseeded and thus need that to be my trading hub until I can get to other planets.)

You're crazy (like a shark)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Captain Monkey posted:

When you finish this, post it to the thread, I'd love a mod that did that.

Honestly I'll probably put it on GitHub or similar. Just thinking about how many various permutations of ethos and civics to account for is going to be a lot of work, and I'm sure there are people far more creative than me who can help improve or add to it. But will post any updates here.

e:. Just looking at some Alpha Centauri quotes for inspiration... Any other good Sci Fi material to pull from? Red Mars for sure.

Gyshall fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 13, 2018

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

You're crazy (like a shark)

Pretty much, I don't need a fleet for 10 years. thats around 2 energy and 3 minerals a month for 120 months. junking the module and building immediately is another 2 energy really helps the early game.

I wouldn't do it on a nonlifeseeded game though, since I could just in that time grab another planet and get a base there and the minerals from the module and building would be lost.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

I'm going to test out some pirates, using a very, uh, not good starting setup. Remember that you can reform your government for influence, so usually it is better to start off with early civics, then later swap those out for something more useful. So I should have started with like +10% empire minerals and something else good instead of the ones I grabbed. I'll post each pirate fleet I get, and my fleets when they pop out.

Game settings: 600 star, 4 arm spiral, 12 AIs, 3 advanced AI, 2 fallen empires, 1x costs/world/hyperlane, 1.5x crisis, hard difficult, ai aggression high, rest default.

Race: Fanatic xenophile, egalitarian, oligarchy. Weak, sedentary, charismatic, intelligent, natural physicists. Civics: Free Haven (+50% alien migration), Cutthroat Politics (-20% edit cost).

I'll go discovery tree (so no bonus to grabbing land, or production discount), which I think is still decently strong, comboing map the stars.

Starting ruler: -25% science ship cost, +33% anomaly research speed, +10% energy credits, secure borders agenda (defense platform -cost/+dmg).

Here's my starting spot. The chunk south of me is really nice looking, but chances are someone is starting there. I'll poke up a bit to have a 2 system front towards the north and head south, and see what I find.

Hey I even didn't get great starting tech options, though corvette hulls is pretty handy.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

My latest highest initial is 33 minerals a month at 2200.1.1 but I got lucky and got two 2 food 2 mineral tiles... which will be GREAT when I finish the adaptability tree. oh and my ruler is an industrialist who wants to develop industry, no wonder thats a 20% boost right there.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

2.0 brought me back to the game hard and now I'm binge playing as much as I can.

The combat system rework is amazing. I like that when I first played Stellaris I naturally split my fleets up to cover the far edges of my empire, only to figure out pretty quickly it was always preferable to roll a single doomstack. Now I'm rocking 2-3 choke point stations with their own defense fleets to respond to local pirate outbreaks, since it's hard to settle every single sector once you start snowballing and run decapitation assaults on Lifeseeded or 2-3 planet civs (I'm playing at 0.5 planet density, probably going to reduce that to 0.25 next playthrough).

Favorite moment this game: I killed the Dimensional Horror and got Jump Drive pretty early. Since I'm playing a medium, 4 arm galaxy with 0.75 lanes, travel between arms is only possible at a few places, which meant going to war the next arm over with a Lifeseeded Peacock Megacorporation (which gobbled up a huge amount of territory) would have been one giant slog through a couple dozen sectors before I could reach the delicious Gaia world. But with the Jump drive I crossed The Space Atlantic Ocean in one bound, landing my 3 fleets within spitting distance of their homeworld. I let the cooldown penalty expire then took out the entire empire in one strike (plus a couple of defensive battles sitting on top of their own defensive station). Sure, virtually half of that arm of the galaxy became the Wild West after the Peacock government disappeared, but I was able to eventually build a direct connection back to my empire after a couple decades.

Hyperlane wars are perfect.

MadJackal fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 13, 2018

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

HappyKitty posted:

This needed to be changed in a big way. As it is now, you are pretty much resigned to losing systems in a two-front war, even if you have enough naval power to totally crush both enemies.

I'm playing Purifiers currently and I'm frequently winning two-front wars. The trick is having a few Bastions for the enemy to hit (because the AI will try), then you hit them, then push while their fleet is repairing. Supremacy first so you can get Hit and Run War Doctrine which means you'll be winning just about every engagement, sometimes with zero casualties if you're massing corvettes. The AI also loves to send out broken, damaged fleets if you're rampaging through their space so you can win the next battle that much more decisively.

If you lose a few systems, it's easy enough to retake them. You just need to have been preparing for the war for a while and maintain a similar fleet power.

DatonKallandor posted:

In my fanatic purifier games I actually can get by without anchorages at all (for a suprisingly long time), because you get so much free naval cap. Which means shipyards/crew quarters on every single border starbase. Upgrade and repair everywhere. It makes you ridiculously mobile strategically.

This too. Win the defensive battle at the starbase, repair at the starbase, push into their space.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

McSpanky posted:

Does the size of the gift matter, or just whatever it takes to hit the green 1?

Size does matter; you get the green number - 1 as a boost to your rep (so green 20 = +19 opinion).

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Here is my first pirate update. At year 7 I had enough spare minerals to start building ships while still constantly building stations (prioritizing stations over ships). I had fairly bad mineral station luck (+21 from all stations by the time the first pirates spawn, 5 of that is initial system), but decent energy stations (+19) so I swapped some guys off of energy plants on my homeworld to mining stations to have a +33 mineral income at year 7. By year 10 I was at 6 corvettes and 500 banked minerals, so I bumped up to 8 corvettes before pirates came out.

2211.04. The pirate fleet is 4 corvettes with a total of 187. Fleet power wise my corvettes are a 43 each, so if I made 2 extra over my starting I'd be at a cool 215 strength, just fine to engage. As is, 8 puts me at 343. The pirate base is 72 listed power, I got 80 minerals and 50 energy since the fleet didn't get to kill anything before mine showed up and wrecked it.

My south expansion dreams are cut off by someone spawning right there, so I'm going to push north and see what I can do, though it is a bit of a mess. Maybe I can shrink it down to 3 chokes and look at pushing west.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I can’t wait for them to look at federations again. Having so much fun with the Star Trek mod at the moment.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

10 Years later, my second pirate fleet has spawn. It is 278 strength, the only difference between it and the starting fleet is the addition of 1 ship with autocannons and some level 2 systems. I've started a second colony, and as I've found mining drones I've continued to build my fleet while maintaining priority on claiming systems and building stations. I'm currently up to 13 corvettes and 603 strength, the only ship techs so far are reactor level 2 and afterburners. I'm going to be lazy and not anti-tech against pirates because I outnumber them so much, but switching to all armor with laser focus would pay off (if I needed an edge), as they're all kinetics (good vs shield, bad vs armor) with 2-1 armor-shields.

By the time my fleet jumped 2 systems to engage them my level 0 station already blew 1 of the pirate corvettes up. I didn't even lose armor on my fleet. The pirate station gave 80 minerals and 50 energy, as they didn't kill any of my stuff.

Image taken after I upgraded to afterburners but it was slow on updating my fleet strength, and I'm not going to bother retaking the picture!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I've been playing this game since release day but never really played around with species rights much and always assumed egalitarians got extremely fussy if you restricted anyone. Turns out RESIDENCY is super powerful. If you're running egalitarian but don't want to be xenophile but also don't want to genocide or enslave, residency is your friend.

Pops with residency can't start factions. They can belong to them, but they can't start them.
Xeno pops with residency do NOT create xenophile ethics attraction.

I conquered a planet of militarist spiritualists and had them all on full citizenship. Instantly I got a militarist and spiritualist faction in my empire and that initial faction creation even flipped some of my own pops over to militarist. Setting these aliens to only have residency though reduced their ethos weight in the whole faction system, and once the 2 humans that turned militarist were corrected the entire faction vanished. I still have a bunch of militarist and spiritualist aliens, but since they only have residency it's not enough to keep the faction active, which set their attraction to like 1%.

Throw "encourage political thought" in there and after a few years most of the aliens have been educated and their awful beliefs contained. I'd so love to protect them from moving to planets they should not move to though, but THAT pisses off egalitarians. Egalitarians should really only care about species with citizen rights, leave the xeno-loving to the xenophile faction entirely.

But yeah, residency citizenship actually does a lot and I'm ashamed I never played with it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

If you say so Stellaris. I don't think I really control that much of the galaxy but whatever.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I do want to say that developing new worlds as an established Machine Empire is the loving worst.

You can be lazy-ish and just do the planet Au-natural or the next 30 years or so - this is inefficient and will keep you clicking for the foreseeable future, but at least paces the micromanagement out over enough of a timeframe that it's never too onerous unless you have something else big like a war going on or you're developing several locations at once (gently caress Habitat spamming).

The better solution is to mass-migrate a pop or two from all your other worlds to jumpstart the new planet, since Robots don't give the slightest gently caress about being resettled, but doing this requires you going back and manually rebuilding all of those pops, which is of course cannot be done from the resettlement screen, and doing all of this at once is :smithicide:

Please god give us a way to autobuild robot pops in core systems.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you say so Stellaris. I don't think I really control that much of the galaxy but whatever.

37 habitable planets in your galaxy, you own exactly 40%, thats a win there.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Time for my 3rd pirate wave! I've researched level 2 missiles and level 2 lasers, and expanded my fleet to 17 corvettes in order to mow down some mining drones. So I'm sitting at 1.4k fleet strength (you'll notice a different admiral, my previous one got himself elected). I'd up it to 20 but I'm sure I can crush any pirates, so instead I built another constructor ship and am building stations as fast as I can.

The opposition is literally exactly the same as last time: 4 basics and 1 slightly better ship. 291 strength. I think you can guess how much of a threat this wave is! I wasn't checking before, but my piracy threat is at 30%, dunno if that modifies anything.

edit:

4th pirate wave has arrived (I've left a lovely system for them to spawn in so I'm not missing waves). Slightly stronger this time, 466 strength in 3 basic ships and 4 slightly better ones. After finishing the +100 hp corvette tech my fleet is at 1.6k in 17 ships. This wave also gave me 300 minerals and 150 energy for the base, jackpot!

e2:
I don't see how pirates have a chance of catching up unless I stop any military building at all. Even if they improve their fleet every time I probably have at least 40 years before they're even with where I'm at. In that time if I don't research +20 fleet cap and build up a bit more I'd probably get attacked by someone anyways. I'm pulling +75 minerals, and I've got some more space to backfill (+30 energy/mins unclaimed) and several planets to colonize (4 for my species, another 3 if I can get a dry biome race to immigrate.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 13, 2018

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I can see the gameplay role they're trying to fill, Wiz even said they were add to punish not having pretty borders, but as they are now they're just not fun. But I have a strong feeling next major update will fix things with their hint at trade.

I hope so, because I do get what they're trying to go for, but it seems like you have two contradictory goals. The new outpost rules, where in order to claim a system you need an outpost, and outposts cost both upfront and give you a recurring penalty, plus the fact that everything is hyperlanes now and you can have chokepoints, encourage you to not claim every system, but just useful ones. But then you run into the pirate problem, where leaving an unclaimed system in the midst of your empire spawns pirates. Maybe this is just about forcing the player to choose between two bad options, but it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Don't worry about the penalties for taking systems. They're there to balance out expansion a bit, but it is still better to expand than not to. The average amount of resources in a system is much higher than previous builds, and they've adjusted down the unity cost on system claiming. Systems are worth less than planets, but penalize you less to tech/research.

If you're really worry about pirates you can find a 2-3 just energy system to leave unclaimed, then station a fleet nearby. Farm the pirates every 10 years for a small energy/mineral bonus, along with some xp for your ships and admiral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I finished the precursor chain, a rarity, but their ancient home world spawned right behind the xenophobic fallen empire. I spend the whole game waiting for jump drives but then realize science ships can't jump into unexplored systems. This makes me sad.