Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skellybones posted:

The Halo books do introduce some weird stuff about the UNSC. Yeah sure the UNSC are the poor humans being genocided by the doom-seeking alien empire, but the only reason they were able to fight back at all is because they were on the cusp of entering a stage of brutal space fascism on their own people. The UNSC knew that it couldn't effectively administrate its own territory, so they built up a huge fleet to brutalise and awe the peasants on distant worlds. And the Spartans were explicitly designed to assassinate the poo poo out of any kind of separatist or revolutionary movement.

If everything had gone to plan, Master Chief would have spent his military career blowing up hospitals and decapitating folk heroes.

The very first mission we see John's squad on in canon is infiltrating a rebel space station and kidnapping one of their generals to stand trial in UNSC space.

The battle between Earth and the Insurrectionists felt more like an analogue to the US Civil War, with the Insurrectionists doing a bunch of terrorist bombings (including nukes) and stupidly continuing to fight even as the Covenant invaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I have never seen a wiki that does what tfwiki does

I know. And that is a fact that breaks my heart every day.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, a lot of tfwiki's tone can be attributed to the Dave Willis, the Shortpacked guy being heavily involved in it. (before he, iirc, turned out to be some level of creep/sad nerd, it's hard to tell in retrospect)

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The opposite. He got married.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All right, I don't want my criticism of RPO to be secondhand. I'm going to get a Kindle copy. I might do a Let's Read thread for others who don't have the book and want to see more than just that one page, if I think it'll be amusing enough. From what I know of the book, it'll probably just end up dreadfully dull.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

You could probably just read a list of the best media from the 80s and early 90s, and have a better time. If you do it on Wikipedia you can even click each item individually and read more about it!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oh wow this is awful.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Inescapable Duck posted:

That's canon as of Reach, iirc, where the Spartans start out expecting to fight human rebels and are completely blindsided by the Covenant.

The UNSC did Nazi the Covenant coming.

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh wow this is awful.

This is a good start

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Halliday's will that mentioned the Easter Egg the gunters are looking for came in the form of a 5 minute video. This video is painstakingly described in detail in the very first chapter, including all of the 80s references Halliday shoehorned in (like how the video of his funeral has digital copies of the Heathers cast as the mourners, because it's the Heather Chandler funeral scene with Halliday in the coffin instead).

This is after OASIS and the economic situation of the world are described in the first two paragraphs of the whole book.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Please do a Let's Read.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Halliday's will that mentioned the Easter Egg the gunters are looking for came in the form of a 5 minute video. This video is painstakingly described in detail in the very first chapter, including all of the 80s references Halliday shoehorned in (like how the video of his funeral has digital copies of the Heathers cast as the mourners, because it's the Heather Chandler funeral scene with Halliday in the coffin instead).

This is after OASIS and the economic situation of the world are described in the first two paragraphs of the whole book.

All of this could have made sense if framed as the myopic viewpoint of a person who has given up on reality. Someone who instead of developing themselves as a person has dedicated themselves to slavishly adhering to the life of a dead idol. Who has molded themselves in the hope of the only out they are able to envision.

Everytime I let that lovely book have any headspace better concepts fold out from it in a fractal motif. There is nothing in that garbage pile of a book half so good as what it weakly alluded to.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The guys from Rifftrax already did a Let's Read of Ready Player One. It's astonishing that this book got good reviews from mainstream critics considering how bad it is.

http://372pages.com/episode-0-a-book-were-probably-going-to-hate

The movie is getting good reviews, probably because Spielberg knows how to inject tension into a scene and excised the horrible inner monologue of the protagonist talking about how much media he has literally memorized.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ccs posted:

The guys from Rifftrax already did a Let's Read of Ready Player One. It's astonishing that this book got good reviews from mainstream critics considering how bad it is.

Holy poo poo, thank you for that link. I love there’s entire podcast that revolves around throwing shade at the written work of Cline. It looks like they’ve finished the Let’s Read of RPO and moved on to Armada.

Ccs posted:

The movie is getting good reviews, probably because Spielberg knows how to inject tension into a scene and excised the horrible inner monologue of the protagonist talking about how much media he has literally memorized.

According to some reviews I’ve read, Spielberg keeps the scaffolding but drives the narrative his way. He doesn’t explain a lot of the references or even draw attention to them sometimes. They’re more set dressing that a person of a certain age or personality will recognize almost instantly, but others will completely blank on. One reviewer said that probably won’t matter since the movie is definitely a Spielberg MOVIE and not a FILM, so you get that kind of crazy ride he can do sometimes.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

chitoryu12 posted:

All right, I don't want my criticism of RPO to be secondhand. I'm going to get a Kindle copy. I might do a Let's Read thread for others who don't have the book and want to see more than just that one page, if I think it'll be amusing enough. From what I know of the book, it'll probably just end up dreadfully dull.

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh wow this is awful.

thirty-seven minutes

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Ccs posted:

:aaaaa:

How have I gone nearly a year without knowing about this?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PJOmega posted:

All of this could have made sense if framed as the myopic viewpoint of a person who has given up on reality. Someone who instead of developing themselves as a person has dedicated themselves to slavishly adhering to the life of a dead idol. Who has molded themselves in the hope of the only out they are able to envision.

Everytime I let that lovely book have any headspace better concepts fold out from it in a fractal motif. There is nothing in that garbage pile of a book half so good as what it weakly alluded to.

There's some hints as to Wade being that kind of character (he gets a sort of third-person-ish(?) monologue about how he found out that life sucks and there's no God so he may as well play video games all day), but it doesn't get nearly as much time as the detailed descriptions of every pop culture reference.

I'll link the thread here when I make it. It's absolutely not getting better as it goes on.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

chitoryu12 posted:

There's some hints as to Wade being that kind of character (he gets a sort of third-person-ish(?) monologue about how he found out that life sucks and there's no God so he may as well play video games all day), but it doesn't get nearly as much time as the detailed descriptions of every pop culture reference.

I'll link the thread here when I make it. It's absolutely not getting better as it goes on.

Except it's presented as an edgy 14 year old who doesn't see why he has to go to church to worship the flying spaghetti monster, mom

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Be afraid. Be very afraid."

--The Fly (1986)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

Holy poo poo, thank you for that link. I love there’s entire podcast that revolves around throwing shade at the written work of Cline. It looks like they’ve finished the Let’s Read of RPO and moved on to Armada.

They've coined the term "Cline-ian" to describe particularly dumb sentences of a certain type and passages where tension is first set up and then dispelled before it gets the chance to have any effect on the narrative.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I did my own Let's Read of RPO a few years ago that ended when I had to return the book to the library and did not even want to renew it to finish out the story.

Ccs posted:

They've coined the term "Cline-ian" to describe particularly dumb sentences of a certain type and passages where tension is first set up and then dispelled before it gets the chance to have any effect on the narrative.

Good to know that's a feature of his work. I only made it to chapter 16 or so and even by that point I was rolling my eyes every time the protagonist was confronted with a challenge that he immediately had the solution to.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

PJOmega posted:

Everytime I let that lovely book have any headspace better concepts fold out from it in a fractal motif.

Honestly the same thing happens when I think about Twilight and it’s interesting to contrast the two books in terms of being pure power fantasies. So much potential just left rotting on the floor for the sake of individual wank. Although the more I hear about RPO the more I feel it’s on a Handbook for Mortals level.

I’m very grateful to whoever posted “372 Pages” first (unsure if it was here or another thread) but it’s a fun listen. I think it’s notable they remark on the more egregious offenses in the story (Aech’s identity, the use of “autistic,” the behavior toward Art3mis) despite not being a social justice-oriented review. I’ve genuinely had a tough time with the real-or-fanfic segments!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ccs posted:

I take it you don't reach many book reviews, because mainstream critics will regularly praise garbage, like George R.R. Martin or Guy Gavriel Kay.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I take it you don't reach many book reviews, because mainstream critics will regularly praise garbage, like George R.R. Martin or Guy Gavriel Kay.

How can you not love Lord of the Rings but with child rape and castration

It's historic fantasy, that's why there is so much rape, because it is realistic like dragons and stuff

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ccs posted:

Ah, phew, I'm glad someone else noticed that. There's one scene in particular where that characteristic of his writing really stood out to me:

quote:

Making it all the way to the end of the movie wound up being a lot harder
than I anticipated. It only took me about fifteen minutes to figure out
the “rules” of the game and to sort out how the scoring system worked. I
was actually required to do a lot more than simply recite dialogue. I also
had to perform all the actions that Broderick’s character performed in
the film, in the correct way and at the correct moment. It was like being
forced to act the leading role in a play you’d watched many times but had
never actually rehearsed.

For most of the movie’s first hour, I was on edge, constantly trying to
think ahead to have my next line of dialogue ready. Whenever I flubbed a
line or didn’t perform an action at the right moment, my score decreased
and a warning flashed on my display. When I made two mistakes in a row,
a final warning message appeared. I wasn’t sure what would happen if
I got three strikes in a row, but my guess was that I’d either be expelled
from the gate or that my avatar would simply be killed. I wasn’t eager to
find out which it would be.

Whenever I correctly performed seven actions or recited seven lines of
dialogue in a row, the game would award me a “Cue Card Power-Up.” The
next time I blanked on what to do or say, I could select the Cue Card icon
and the correct action or line of dialogue would appear on my display,
sort of like a teleprompter.

While it's a stupid concept, it at least could have been dramatic if Cline had written this in real-time. Let us learn about the game along with the protagonist! Tell us the story as he misses a line and gets a warning, with no idea of what's going to happen if he misses -- does he just have to start over? Does he get ejected from the game? Is he permanently banned from the OASIS? Oh no, he got another one wrong! What is going to happen? Will he get the next line right???

...but no he just tells us up front "I passed it just fine, of course" and then explains how the game works but we don't give a poo poo any more because we know he beat it already.

Christ it's bad writing.

this character's name is supposed to be pronounced like the letter "H" but every time I read it I kept hearing an Alfred E. Neuman "ecccchhhh"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also this masterful metaphor just digs right into my brain

quote:

It was like being forced to act the leading role in a play you’d watched many times but had never actually rehearsed.

Why yes, you could say that! It was a lot like that! In fact you could be even more accurate and say that it was like being forced to act the leading role in a movie you'd watched many times but had never actually rehearsed.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Oh, did your roulette wheel of media threads to poo poo up land on this one again?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Controversial opinion: mainstream critics have praised George R.R. Martin and Guy Gavriel Kay.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Honestly the same thing happens when I think about Twilight and it’s interesting to contrast the two books in terms of being pure power fantasies. So much potential just left rotting on the floor for the sake of individual wank. Although the more I hear about RPO the more I feel it’s on a Handbook for Mortals level.

It's really bad, but no it isn't H4M tier. You are right to point out similarities to Twilight, and that's actually why I harp on RPO in my social circle so heavily. It's still perfectly acceptable in polite company to rip on Twilight and 50 Shades and even people who enjoyed them won't rise to defend them. Fans of RPO however will get outraged at any criticism. And people will try to back it down. The only real dividing line is that it's seen as socially acceptable to rip on women aimed reading, but it's not "fair" to attack male orientated reading. And RPO is insanely aimed at men.

Also it's a loving garbage fire of a book that reads like a first pass on that writing prompt subreddit.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Controversial opinion: mainstream critics have praised George R.R. Martin and Guy Gavriel Kay.

Your actual controversial opinion: Ernest Cline is as bad as George R.R. Martin and Guy Gavriel Kay.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Djeser posted:

Your actual controversial opinion: Ernest Cline is as bad as George R.R. Martin and Guy Gavriel Kay.

Yes, and?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I don't actually have a stake in this argument, you're just insufferably smug.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
My hot take is that Guy Gavriel Kay is a good author.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My hot take is put that dumb gently caress botl on ignore and get on with your lives happily ignorant of his ignorance

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Arcsquad12 posted:

My hot take is put that dumb gently caress botl on ignore and get on with your lives happily ignorant of his ignorance

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
On the other hand I am continually amused by how furious people get over somebody pointing out the flaws in fantasy novels. It's like people going "Whadaya mean CALL OF DUTY 4 MODERN WARFARE isn't art?!?"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not ignorantly dismissing George R.R. Martin and Guy Gavriel Kay, I've read their works and can confidently say that they're quite terrible.

Kay's prose is bad, but he's so enamoured with it that he's repeated the same prose and storytelling techniques for over 20 years. He's an author who tells rather than shows - specifically, he tells about how amazing and inspiring his characters and stories are. His "historical fantasies" is guaranteed to have a part where the narration remarks how impressive some character or event, is, and how this will be remembered in songs and stories for generations.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 09:28 on Mar 13, 2018

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

C.M. Kruger posted:

On the other hand I am continually amused by how furious people get over somebody pointing out the flaws in fantasy novels. It's like people going "Whadaya mean CALL OF DUTY 4 MODERN WARFARE isn't art?!?"
People who insist their particular genre nonsense is art, and then get really loving angry when it gets subjected to critical artistic analysis, are my favorite.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
RPO theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMBylNJQEbg

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
They hated Jesus because He told them the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

quote:

quote:

Making it all the way to the end of the movie wound up being a lot harder
than I anticipated. It only took me about fifteen minutes to figure out
the “rules” of the game and to sort out how the scoring system worked. I
was actually required to do a lot more than simply recite dialogue. I also
had to perform all the actions that Broderick’s character performed in
the film, in the correct way and at the correct moment. It was like being
forced to act the leading role in a play you’d watched many times but had
never actually rehearsed.

For most of the movie’s first hour, I was on edge, constantly trying to
think ahead to have my next line of dialogue ready. Whenever I flubbed a
line or didn’t perform an action at the right moment, my score decreased
and a warning flashed on my display. When I made two mistakes in a row,
a final warning message appeared. I wasn’t sure what would happen if
I got three strikes in a row, but my guess was that I’d either be expelled
from the gate or that my avatar would simply be killed. I wasn’t eager to
find out which it would be.

Whenever I correctly performed seven actions or recited seven lines of
dialogue in a row, the game would award me a “Cue Card Power-Up.” The
next time I blanked on what to do or say, I could select the Cue Card icon
and the correct action or line of dialogue would appear on my display,
sort of like a teleprompter.
Reminds me of something

quote:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, RIDDICK. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME NECRO BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng