You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

GP2 operating system

GP/2 OS

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

GP/2 Warp

As an aside, I know of a semi-major energy producer that still runs OS/2 in VMs for some ancient control systems.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Fortran is still being used so anything is possible.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

The Kimoa Kid posted:

All of you have read my lovely posts for 10+ years, and you’ve all thought “wow wicka is stubborn” or “this is not funny, this man has a mental health issue, why are we laughing?” You’ve seen nothing yet. Linux is all bad: this is where I die.

Linux is rad as hell. In fact, it's the best, most pure OS there is. Every other OS out there is datamining you like a product to sell on to advertisers and somehow Linux is bad? Smdh.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Kimoa Kid posted:

All of you have read my lovely posts for 10+ years, and you’ve all thought “wow wicka is stubborn” or “this is not funny, this man has a mental health issue, why are we laughing?” You’ve seen nothing yet. Linux is all bad: this is where I die.

Lol if you read posts

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I don't buy it that wicka doesn't like Linux. I occasionally follow Linus Torvalds and his posts are suspiciously wicka-esque. Like this, from a recent email he circulated about a patch for Meltdown (lol):

Father Linus/wicka posted:

Why is this all done without any configuration options?

A *competent* CPU engineer would fix this by making sure speculation
doesn't happen across protection domains. Maybe even a L1 I$ that is
keyed by CPL.

I think somebody inside of Intel needs to really take a long hard look
at their CPU's, and actually admit that they have issues instead of
writing PR blurbs that say that everything works as designed.

.. and that really means that all these mitigation patches should be
written with "not all CPU's are crap" in mind.

Or is Intel basically saying "we are committed to selling you poo poo
forever and ever, and never fixing anything"?

Because if that's the case, maybe we should start looking towards the
ARM64 people more.

Please talk to management. Because I really see exactly two possibibilities:

- Intel never intends to fix anything

OR

- these workarounds should have a way to disable them.

Which of the two is it?

Linus

Just replace 'Intel' with 'Bernie,' and it's uncanny.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 13, 2018

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Theophany posted:

I don't buy it that wicka doesn't like Linux. I occasionally follow Linus Torvalds and his posts are suspiciously wicka-esque. Like this, from a recent email he circulated about a patch for Meltdown (lol):

Just replace 'Intel' with 'Bernie,' and it's uncanny.

"I think somebody inside of Bernie needs to really take a long hard look"

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

mrfart posted:

"I think somebody inside of Bernie needs to really take a long hard look"

Why is this all done without any configuration options?

A *competent* owner would fix this by making sure speculation
doesn't happen across seasons. Maybe even F1 is bad.

I think Bernie needs to really take a long hard look
at the sport, and actually admit that they have issues instead of
writing PR blurbs that say that everything works as designed.

.. and that really means that all these rule changes should be
written with "not all teams are crap" in mind.

Or is Bernie basically saying "we are committed to selling you poo poo
forever and ever, and never fixing anything"?

Because if that's the case, maybe we should start looking towards the
Formula E people more.

Please talk to management. Because I really see exactly two possibibilities:

- Bernie never intends to fix anything

OR

- these rules should have a way to disable them.

Which of the two is it?

wicka

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Ya know I'd watch formula E if the cars managed to be faster than a GT4 car and could complete a race without swapping the whole car. Which means at some point I probably will watch Formula E.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Formula E, but everyone has a ken box car. Races take place in parking lots.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Formula E, but everyone has a ken box car. Races take place in parking lots.

But thats what current formula e is haha.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Formula 1, but all cars have to have rear wheel steering.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
BOY does my DICK get ROCK HARD thinking about installing GENTOO LINUX!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Formula ford, but all the cars are mazdas

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The 24 hours of le mans, but on tandem pedal powered 4 wheeled bicycles.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The Monaco grand Prix, but with passing

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Apparently RISC OS is still chugging along :britain:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The us grand Prix at eldora

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

ilmucche posted:

Formula ford, but all the cars are mazdas

Skip Barber?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Formula 1: guaranteed to nourish your baby

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Single lap qualifying, but the driver has to chug a beer before driving. Chug time gets added to lap time.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I need Windows for gaming and Linux for developing. Wake me up when there's an OS that handles both those tasks natively.

Anyone about to suggest that osx fills that gap and is in fact not substandard at both should eat a probation imo.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

NtotheTC posted:

I need Windows for gaming and Linux for developing. Wake me up when there's an OS that handles both those tasks natively.

Windows

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

NtotheTC posted:

I need Windows for gaming and Linux for developing. Wake me up when there's an OS that handles both those tasks natively.

Anyone about to suggest that osx fills that gap and is in fact not substandard at both should eat a probation.

Linux can play Quake 3 Arena natively which is like the only game worth playing in the last, what, 20 years?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Dubs posted:

Windows

If WSL matures a lot more (i.e. systemd support) I might agree with you. Until then python development in windows is a nightmare

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Formula 1 with grid girls

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

I don't buy it that wicka doesn't like Linux. I occasionally follow Linus Torvalds and his posts are suspiciously wicka-esque. Like this, from a recent email he circulated about a patch for Meltdown (lol):

Just replace 'Intel' with 'Bernie,' and it's uncanny.

EVERY TIME I think you mean Sanders, lmfao

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Theophany posted:

Linux can play Quake 3 Arena natively which is like the only game worth playing in the last, what, 20 years?

Quake Live through a browser window obv

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

The Kimoa Kid posted:

EVERY TIME I think you mean Sanders, lmfao

The only Sanders I care about is the goddamn colonel.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
arnt they the same

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

ilmucche posted:

Formula ford, but all the cars are mazdas

This might be the nerdiest reference I've ever made in this thread but...

The rules allowed you to base the engine on any car in your range, rather than just the actual car you used. Ford used the engine from the Probe, which was just a rebadged Mazda MX6.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'm doing some heart lols at Linus fuckin Torvalds, of all people, questioning others on security best practices

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I'm doing some heart lols at Linus fuckin Torvalds, of all people, questioning others on security best practices

http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1711.2/01701.html

He knows his poo poo. It's why Linux is the most secure platform in the world today. :shrug:

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
might be secure but it wont play quake champions

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/1711.2/01701.html

He knows his poo poo. It's why Linux is the most secure platform in the world today. :shrug:

And he has the most naive mentality in the world today lol

quote:

So the hardening efforts should instead _start_ from the standpoint of
"let's warn about what looks dangerous, and maybe in a _year_ when
we've warned for a long time, and we are confident that we've actually
caught all the normal cases, _then_ we can start taking more drastic
measures".

Thanks for the warning Linus but we're all over here getting hacked while you're figuring out how you want to patch the problem

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

NtotheTC posted:

If WSL matures a lot more (i.e. systemd support) I might agree with you. Until then python development in windows is a nightmare

This. My Linux machine is my python dev machine. Getting the same functionality going in windows is a loving nightmare.
Linux is cool and good, but sadly most of the window managers are not up to the standard that Win10 or OS X has. Still, Linux is an awesome OS for servers and for certain software development environments.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4