Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Staltran posted:

Are you seriously saying you find "right click on pirate fleet, then shift-right click on pirate base, then press b once both are dead" engaging and not boring? :psyduck:
I find having to think a bit harder than "good system, click 'get' " when expanding makes the expansion game more engaging. I find having to factor in deployment times when placing and designing starbases makes the station management game more engaging. I find the incentive to the above being station murder by discrete, visible units is more engaging and makes for better stories than a passive bonus/mallus.

Do I think it could be better? Of course, especially late game. But it's good as is, unless you take the obtusely reductive stance of looking at it entirely in isolation divorced from all the mechanics it's explicitly designed to interact with.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Staltran posted:

Are you seriously saying you find "right click on pirate fleet, then shift-right click on pirate base, then press b once both are dead" engaging and not boring? :psyduck:

I like having a semi-random military threat that I have to take into account when moving fleets, expanding and placing starbases. They're something to do militarily in a phase of the game that could otherwise be completely devoid of anything military. If they are so boring how are people getting wrecked by them? (it's a trick question I don't know how they get wrecked).

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Splicer posted:

Do I think it could be better? Of course, especially late game. But it's good as is, unless you take the obtusely reductive stance of looking at it entirely in isolation divorced from all the mechanics it's explicitly designed to interact with.

I imagine since they've talked about moving toward empire management and galactic trade/politics, pirates could interact with those systems in really interesting ways.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Artificer posted:

I mean depending on how you choose to flavor your empire, they can be right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4IFNKYmLa8

Going with these guys the next time I play a Rogue Servitor empire.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
pirates are literally just a 'don't forget about your military, moron' reminder

even then, you get people being like 'it's 2400 and pirates just dropped 4k on me what is this bullshit mechanic' or whatever

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Pirates don't really bother me much, but I do think we need some clarity on their spawn mechanics.

Started my second playthrough, and the first pirate fleet was the expected 4 corvettes, but the second spawn had an attack score of 650, and the third one was 1.1K, which seems pretty different then some other people's experiences. That third one was annoying enough to actually give me some problems with a fleet having to emergency evac, but still I only lost a mining post or two.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Pirates don't really bother me much, but I do think we need some clarity on their spawn mechanics.

Started my second playthrough, and the first pirate fleet was the expected 4 corvettes, but the second spawn had an attack score of 650, and the third one was 1.1K, which seems pretty different then some other people's experiences. That third one was annoying enough to actually give me some problems with a fleet having to emergency evac, but still I only lost a mining post or two.
Did you kill their space station?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

I think they're both this and also to help people understand the implications of hyperlanes, like "hey your fleet can't get from one side of your empire to the other fast enough to deal with threats so you might need to think about where you're deployed and have multiple fleets". After a while they do get kinda tedious though. But at least they provide free loot if you're prepared enough to deal with them.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Milky Moor posted:

even then, you get people being like 'it's 2400 and pirates just dropped 4k on me what is this bullshit mechanic' or whatever

Hi, it's me, the guy who forgot his military and had to scrub a game where I spawned on a 21 tile world 4 jumps away from a 25 tile Gaia world with the exceptional minerals modifier.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah they're great at reminding me to keep at least one primary fleet up in power. My current machine empire game that i've taken about 1/5th the galaxy has the pirates spawning between one of my most heavily fortified station and a marauder clan though, so guess i'm done worrying about them

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

AtomikKrab posted:

37 habitable planets in your galaxy, you own exactly 40%, thats a win there.

Are you sure? I'm counting 47.

15+12+10+4+3+3.

Should be about 31%

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

SpaceCadetBob posted:

You have something janky going on, what were your settings? Like someone asked, did you miss on killing the station? Alternatively, did the pirates not have any spawn locations forcing you to miss some spawns, or is that literally year 10,20,30?

I ask because like 2 pages ago I went through the first 4 waves and the 4th wasn't even over 500 strength. (hard/aggressive AI settings) Maybe I'll start a new game and document fleet scaling when I ignore the station.

Pirates as a thought to how you expand, along with a softer "hey make sure you're building some military" is fine. Having pirates show up and blow a few things up so you go "oh yea military" and build some military is way nicer to those players that don't think about it instead of the thing that reminds them to build military being "war dec'd and subjugated".

Could it be better and have some more interactions stuff? of course, but I can say that about so many systems in this game, but then at the end of the day I also realize that I've got hundreds of hours in it and I still have fun.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Are you sure? I'm counting 47.

15+12+10+4+3+3.

Should be about 31%

Did you count habitats?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Found an interesting mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1328587257

Can't see poo poo until you explore it.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

GotLag posted:

:aaa:

That is going to scratch soooo many itches, though I can't imagine it plays nicely with the AI, who presumably can still see everything.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

GotLag posted:

Oh wow not even the other stars. That's awesome.

However, in addition to that, it also does this:

- Communications with empires that you have not yet met no longer automatically happens (the "you have intercepted communications" events). You'll have to explore and meet them yourself (or not!)

Which I don't like at all. :(

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

It is a bit silly that I wouldn't know where the stars are, I mean we can do that with our actual tech. I'm guessing they couldn't figure out how to hide hyperlanes so they just hide everything. Except nebula names I guess? Dunno it seems like an ok attempt to solve something, but ends up just exchanging some issues for others.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ZypherIM posted:

It is a bit silly that I wouldn't know where the stars are, I mean we can do that with our actual tech. I'm guessing they couldn't figure out how to hide hyperlanes so they just hide everything. Except nebula names I guess? Dunno it seems like an ok attempt to solve something, but ends up just exchanging some issues for others.

I read this as "we don't know where hyperlanes connect" rather than "lol we don't know where stars are even though we can see them".

It's not like every star in the galaxy is connected to a hyperlane. There are, what, a few hundred to a thousand stars you can visit in the average Stellaris game? And billions in the galaxy?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I read this as "we don't know where hyperlanes connect" rather than "lol we don't know where stars are even though we can see them".

It's not like every star in the galaxy is connected to a hyperlane. There are, what, a few hundred to a thousand stars you can visit in the average Stellaris game? And billions in the galaxy?

its supposed to be GRAND strategy so i want my several hundred billion stars OK

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

You don't have billions of stars because of simulation limits. So we abstract the galaxy down to X number of stars, it is still supposed to be the entire galaxy.

edit: plus what about jump drives, they would then have tons of options that hyperlanes would never have access to!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

ConfusedUs posted:

Oh wow not even the other stars. That's awesome.

However, in addition to that, it also does this:

- Communications with empires that you have not yet met no longer automatically happens (the "you have intercepted communications" events). You'll have to explore and meet them yourself (or not!)

Which I don't like at all. :(

Shouldn't be too hard to strip that change out. I'm going to hit the sack now but if you like I'll have a go at it tomorrow.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I never have any pirates because I tend to just expand to fill out the available space. It's not enormous because I'm surrounded. Like for the first 30 or so years I'll maybe see two fleets but that'll be it. That's over 4 full games now.

With the Scourge it's interesting that to kill them you have to kill everything now. I remember just floating into their space and destroying their colonies to win before.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Libluini posted:

Did you count habitats?

I mean, I think the victory screen counts habitats and ring worlds in the planet total, so it should already be accurate.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think the biggest weakness Stellaris has is that the first ten years or so are a painful mix of being really boring but also incredibly important.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ZypherIM posted:

It is a bit silly that I wouldn't know where the stars are, I mean we can do that with our actual tech.
A quick google tells me our most detailed star catalogue to date contains 219 million stars. Out of an estimated 400 billion.

We actually have no loving clue what's out there.

Sweet dreams!

edit: I think the catalogue includes stars not in the milky way. So we don't actually know gently caress all about our galaxy, we know less than gently caress all.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 13, 2018

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

tooterfish posted:

A quick google tells me our most detailed star catalogue to date contains 219 million stars. Out of an estimated 400 billion.

Sweet dreams!

So...it's the star you can't see that will stab you in your sleep?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The odds of there not being other forms of life out there are incredibly small, so either we're first, it's impossible (or super, super difficult) to talk to other life or even get around, or there's another reason why we haven't met any yet.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Wars with 2.0 have become something actually fun to do, but I wish there was more granularity to the conclusion; I want to be able to declare a true white peace or be able to choose less than all claims+occupations - sometimes you want to finish a war earlier than total win.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Gyrotica posted:

So...it's the star you can't see that will stab you in your sleep?
I'll start worrying about the star I can't see when the star I can stops trying to give me cancer.

The big jerk.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Splicer posted:

If you think about it, an engine is just a big cannon covering your rear.

Especially if *HARG-HARG-HARG* that ship's equipped with a Reeunk Afterburner!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Map the Stars should be turned on when you start.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

wiegieman posted:

The odds of there not being other forms of life out there are incredibly small, so either we're first, it's impossible (or super, super difficult) to talk to other life or even get around, or there's another reason why we haven't met any yet.

It's this one, for the record.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Splicer posted:

Map the Stars should be turned on when you start.
This is unrelated to the current discussion, didn't realise it would be so relevant.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Splicer posted:

Did you kill their space station?

Wandered away for the morning, so behind the ball on this one, but yes it was three completely different spawns in different systems. I always bap the base right after the fleet.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

tooterfish posted:

Sweet dreams!

edit: I think the catalogue includes stars not in the milky way. So we don't actually know gently caress all about our galaxy, we know less than gently caress all.

The numbers I can find estimate between 100-400 billion stars. The 219 million star catalog is from the milky way, and is from 2013. In 2016 there was a catalog of 1.142 billion stars in the milky way (14 months of a 5-year mapping mission). The limited number of stars we have mapped is based on time we've spent mapping and much less of a lack of ability.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
I personally don't have any problem with pirates but something simple that can make everyone happy is a "No pirates" tick box like the "No barbarians" in the Civilization series.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ZypherIM posted:

Sorry for the slow reply, I missed you stating your difficulty among scanning pages. I run on hard/aggressive as well, with 4 spiral 1.0 hyperlanes. So the same setting as what you've got going on, and I have had pirates spiral out of control exactly 1 time. That was when the pirate base spawn in a system with some 2k neutral threat so I couldn't go blow up the station, and the waves of attacks eventually got me.
Yeah it has baffled me. I have a successful and fun game going right now and my time has been limited so I have not started a new game to test with yet but I will share my results when I do. Also, two issues I presented got conflated - one was where i tried a gimmick run hiding in a corner behind starforts and the other general issue of "pirates are a fun tax" I've only gotten wrecked by them when I had no fleet; otherwise I can handle them mostly fine but they annoy the gently caress out of me.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I want to colonize a low habitability planet with droids, but I have nowhere to build them to transfer to a colony... I only have my home world that is fully cleared with a non-droid pop in every tile. Is there any way I can manage this?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ShiroTheSniper posted:

I personally don't have any problem with pirates but something simple that can make everyone happy is a "No pirates" tick box like the "No barbarians" in the Civilization series.

it should be forced to be on for the first game or two you play after buying it so it bashed into your head not to neglect your fleet and get steamrolled by an angry militarist nextdoor neighbor

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I want to colonize a low habitability planet with droids, but I have nowhere to build them to transfer to a colony... I only have my home world that is fully cleared with a non-droid pop in every tile. Is there any way I can manage this?

not that i know of. that's why i always placehold with a robot when i know im gonna need to do it, assuming you cannot purge a pop.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Sloober posted:

not that i know of. that's why i always placehold with a robot when i know im gonna need to do it, assuming you cannot purge a pop.

I can't purge, but I did uplift a species who hates me and made claiming half of my empire their first act on the intergalactic stage so I figure I'll have some space soon.