Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Double postin' to say the Dell is $449 at Best Buy right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Khorne posted:

What are some real good monitor arms? Sturdy, can lock into place, can put multiple 27"-34" monitors side by side, maybe support for up to three monitors but 2 is fine or buying multiple one arm (1 for each monitor) would be fine too. Being able to adjust height is a huge deal to me, because I recently changed from a super high desk to a normal height desk and the center of my monitor is now significantly below eye level.
I have an Ergotron arm and it's very very sturdy.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Also if you're considering an Ergotron arm, keep in mind that AmazonBasics sells a rebranded/recolored Ergotron LX (normally $165) for just $99:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Premium-Single-Monitor-Stand/dp/B00MIBN16O
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882183897

Khorne
May 1, 2002

repiv posted:

Also if you're considering an Ergotron arm, keep in mind that AmazonBasics sells a rebranded/recolored Ergotron LX (normally $165) for just $99:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have an Ergotron arm and it's very very sturdy.
Is the dual arm just as sturdy as the single? Saving $10 without compromising quality is very important to me on a personal level.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
can someone help me I think I'm legally retarded

I own this monitor: https://www.amazon.com/xstar-dp2710.../dp/B00CI2EJAU/

It is 27", 1440p, and default 60hz but you can "overclock" it with something like CRU(custom resolution utility). It has a power brick, and it has DVI Dual Link only for output.

My current graphics card has no Dual-DVI connector. It has 3 DisplayPort connectors and 1 HDMI connector. Just buy a displayport/HDMI to dual-dvi and easy peasy, right? Apparently not. I have tried like 4 different ones and they either all straight up do not work or do some insane flickering poo poo. I'm assuming this has to do with the fact that 60+hz and 1440p is stretching the limits of Dual-DVI and somehow the connectors I'm using are bottle necking the monitor but I have no idea. Does anyone have this monitor/know of a adapter that works? My GPU is a 1080Ti if it matters.

e: also adding a cheap rear end gpu with a DVI-D connector is not an option

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Scionix posted:

can someone help me I think I'm legally retarded

I own this monitor: https://www.amazon.com/xstar-dp2710.../dp/B00CI2EJAU/

It is 27", 1440p, and default 60hz but you can "overclock" it with something like CRU(custom resolution utility). It has a power brick, and it has DVI Dual Link only for output.

My current graphics card has no Dual-DVI connector. It has 3 DisplayPort connectors and 1 HDMI connector. Just buy a displayport/HDMI to dual-dvi and easy peasy, right? Apparently not. I have tried like 4 different ones and they either all straight up do not work or do some insane flickering poo poo. I'm assuming this has to do with the fact that 60+hz and 1440p is stretching the limits of Dual-DVI and somehow the connectors I'm using are bottle necking the monitor but I have no idea. Does anyone have this monitor/know of a adapter that works? My GPU is a 1080Ti if it matters.

e: also adding a cheap rear end gpu with a DVI-D connector is not an option

You need an active DP/HDMI-> Dual link DVI converter, you can't just use a passive cable. They're mega expensive, $100+, and almost all of them won't do more than 60Hz at 1440p. Unfortunately cheap OC koreans is just something you lose with newer cards that don't have a native DVI-D port. From a cursory Google this adapter seems to be able to do 400MHz pixel clock, which is enough for 96Hz or maybe 110Hz if you use tightened timings. No matter what you'll be breaking spec so nothing is guaranteed.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
well 95$ is cheaper than a new monitor so hey gently caress me I guess

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
So I just went from 22" Dell 2209WA (1680x1050) that I've been using for the past almost 10 years to a 32" Samsung U32H850 (UHD) :holymoley: I knew 32" is big but this thing is ridiculous! Can't wait to get the thing mounted on my wall though because that stand is huge, too.

However, I've never had a monitor with speakers before so I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the sound go through them from either my PC or PS4 Pro without connecting the cable from my old standalone speakers directly to the 3.5" jack on the monitor (which is ugly as hell because it's on the left side of the screen).

The other is that the DisplayPort was kind of a bitch to plug in properly because no matter how much I pushed it in the screen showed no signal. Somehow got it to work after unplugging the cable several times and finally hearing a click but man it seems like I'm really dumb or the DP cables are kind of wonky to connect.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

real talk, how do people use monitors that large? I can't imagine being comfortable with a 32" monitor, I feel like I'd get so nauseous all the time due to how close I am to it & how large it is, craning my neck to look at one end or the other.

I feel like the goldilocks spot is around the 27" mark. I've had a 24" monitor for the past 5 years and it's just a tad too small.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Q8ee posted:

real talk, how do people use monitors that large? I can't imagine being comfortable with a 32" monitor, I feel like I'd get so nauseous all the time due to how close I am to it & how large it is, craning my neck to look at one end or the other.

I feel like the goldilocks spot is around the 27" mark. I've had a 24" monitor for the past 5 years and it's just a tad too small.

Mostly I think people move really big monitors farther back away from them... which kinda defeats the purpose of a bigger monitor IMO.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Q8ee posted:

It's like TVs, lots of marketing to push people to ever larger screens because profit margins are much better there

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Q8ee posted:

huge monitors is just like having multiple monitors, but without the bezels :shrug:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I have tentative plans to move it back by mounting it on the wall but honestly for general OS usage being closer is not making me feel nauseous at all despite worrying about it. Because of the combination of size and resolution it doesn't make sense (to me, anyway) to be looking at it from a distance because you're focusing on certain part of the screen. For gaming I just either slide farther away and recline in my chair or just on the sofa behind it.

tl:dr huge screens are loving awesome

One thing I quickly realized though is that 32" is still a bit too small for UHD at 100% scaling.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Palladium posted:

It's like TVs, lots of marketing to push people to ever larger screens because profit margins are much better there

are profit margins better because larger screens cost the manufacturers just a tad bit more to produce, but they can stick a nice big markup on it due to the larger screen size?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Q8ee posted:

are profit margins better because larger screens cost the manufacturers just a tad bit more to produce, but they can stick a nice big markup on it due to the larger screen size?

I imagine the overlap with TV sizes helps wrt component pricing

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hello all.

I've been waiting a long time for Apple to come out with a new thunderbolt monitor. Like 6 years. I'm tired of waiting.

The things I liked about the original TB display were (in order of importance)
- Good panel (for the time)
- Acted like a one-cable laptop dock
- Looked nice

I know Apple are *eventually* going to put one out with the next mac pro and they have their LG partnered 4/5k displays, but there's still no date reported, the LG stuff is reportedly not all that great, and there's always the ol' Apple markup on both.

Is there a good display on the market now that will meed my wants and needs? Which are:
- In the region of 32"
- Proper 4k
- OLED?
- Dock-like behaviour for an Apple laptop
- Can take PCs too (nice to have)
- Not made of cheap plastic (nice to have)

This will be for work so image quality and colour gamut is far more important than refresh rate or frame sync.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Jaded Burnout posted:

Hello all.

I've been waiting a long time for Apple to come out with a new thunderbolt monitor. Like 6 years. I'm tired of waiting.

The things I liked about the original TB display were (in order of importance)
- Good panel (for the time)
- Acted like a one-cable laptop dock
- Looked nice

I know Apple are *eventually* going to put one out with the next mac pro and they have their LG partnered 4/5k displays, but there's still no date reported, the LG stuff is reportedly not all that great, and there's always the ol' Apple markup on both.

Is there a good display on the market now that will meed my wants and needs? Which are:
- In the region of 32"
- Proper 4k
- OLED?
- Dock-like behaviour for an Apple laptop
- Can take PCs too (nice to have)
- Not made of cheap plastic (nice to have)

This will be for work so image quality and colour gamut is far more important than refresh rate or frame sync.

There's dozens of 32" 4k displays out there, but if you want Thunderbolt compatibility, you're really limited to models from LG right now. I'm in the same boat as you - I'll be doing UI/UX work on a MacBook for school, so I want something with Thunderbolt, but I'm not so keen on buying an LG either.

LG did announce 3 new displays with Thunderbolt that might be worth the wait: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/21/lg-upgraded-monitors-full-thunderbolt-3/

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

LG did announce 3 new displays with Thunderbolt that might be worth the wait: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/12/21/lg-upgraded-monitors-full-thunderbolt-3/

Interesting, I'll keep an eye out.

I've been ignoring 5k displays so far, are they really just 21:9 variants? I assumed they were higher density 16:9.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know what's the real difference between the Eizo EV2436W and EV2456? Apparently I missed a note that out office monitors are being replace and couldn't order something larger but I can choose betwen these. The 56 has tiny bezels and on paper slightly higher brightness and response times but otherwise in real life :iiam:

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Q8ee posted:

I've got a 42" Dell monitor and I sit about 32 inches from it (just measured to my eyeballs). On top of that I have terrible vision and use progressive lenses, but I've gotten used to the distortion.

I want to go larger in a year or two to 65". But I'll have to get a new table in that case, to let the monitor sit lower so I'm not looking up at it.

Huge monitors are great :stonklol:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Also, I think people underestimate their own ability to look at things. Stare straight ahead and then move your eyes along the wall until your neck starts to even turn, let alone "cranes". Your comfortable vision is measured in feet, not inches.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
<"I dunno" noise> I've got an LG 29UM68-P, and my nose is about eighteen inches away from the monitor at its closest point.

Not only did I get used to it, but the actual real estate gains (I am/was a CAD/CAM drafter at work) make me want a screen that's even larger. Maybe two.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Due to my hosed up eyes, any monitor bigger than around 19" is more difficult for me. But I have a special case.

I have one eye that is slightly farsighted, and the other is more like 20/400, in addition to not entirely corrected strabismus. (eyes not aligned, can only "use" one at a time) This causes me to have a focal point that is either 4-5 inches from the monitor or 2-3 feet from it, with nothing in-between. And at 2-3 feet from it, it can be hard to follow lines of text. So I end up sitting just a few inches to use my "bad" eye.

On my home 27" 1440p I have the scaling turned up high enough that its basically equivalent to 1080p. And I still find myself sitting super close and moving around to see the entire thing. I had actually considered downgrading to a smaller monitor just because of this.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Mar 13, 2018

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I wasn't sure before I got my 32" monitor but it ended up being just about perfect at 4K and 150% dpi scaling. I certainly don't want to go any larger, but I'd rather not go smaller either. For images I can still display them at 1:1 pixel mapping and read text in them, but a 27" 4K panel will be 200% scaling and I won't be able to read text at 1:1. Which will introduce scaling and stop me from comfortably displaying entire pages vertically while in landscape.

I might skip the first batch of 4K144 panels just to avoid dropping to 27", especially if they're using 4:2:2 instead of 4:4:4.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

The Milkman posted:

eBay has a coupon code for anything today PSPRING20, knocks 20% off ($100 max)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acer-Preda...doAAOSwV4BZ0LeI

This is the good one yes? 1440p, IPS, 144/165Hz G-Sync (because who knows when AMD GPUs will catch up again). It's $600 with the code, is there any other model I should look for? (no ultrawides please)

I kinda wanted to hold out for 4k+144Hz but gently caress it I hate my lovely 1080p TN.

Update: This thing is pretty good. Nice to get rid of the last TN screen in my life. Turned on the 165Hz mode. I can see the smoothing difference between straight up 144Hz on my old monitor vs G-SYNCTM on this. Is there a reason I wouldn't want g-sync on in windowed mode as well as full screen?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I have a request for what you, yes YOU, think is the best monitor given the following requirements:

16:9 or 16:10
1440p (or 4k)
At least 144hz
27"
G-Sync is minor bonus, but not required
Budget: $750

Primarily used for gaming.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I have a request for what you, yes YOU, think is the best monitor given the following requirements:

16:9 or 16:10
1440p (or 4k)
At least 144hz
27"
G-Sync is minor bonus, but not required
Budget: $750

Primarily used for gaming.

If you want to go cheaper and don't mind a TN panel the Dell S2716DG, if you want IPS then the Acer XB271HU bmiprz.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
My 2716DG came and it's REV A07, I've only read about A04

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone suggest a monitor that can do power + display through USB-C to a 12" MacBook? Preferably <$300 and only needs to be about 20-23" (for my Dad who is used to a 21.5" iMac). Thanks in advance. -

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I think 32’ is a good point for 1440 while 22-ish is for the 1080 resolution.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Khorne posted:

Is the dual arm just as sturdy as the single? Saving $10 without compromising quality is very important to me on a personal level.
No idea, but would be interested in that. I have an MX and another monitor on a regular old stand

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The Dell 27" Gaming TN panel is on sale for $400 w/$50GC, which is about as good as it gets, minus Black Friday.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11371559-2...-membership-req

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
God damnit I just paid $450! Best Buy won't match this either

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VulgarandStupid posted:

The Dell 27" Gaming TN panel is on sale for $400 w/$50GC, which is about as good as it gets, minus Black Friday.

That $50 GC has to be used within 90 days, too - so there's an 'asterisk factor' to it.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

VulgarandStupid posted:

Best Buy had it on sale for $350 before. Which is kind of the same as $400 + gift card.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I paid $450 at BB earlier this week and this monitor is gorgeous. The colors are actually astounding for a TN panel - shatters my last Asus TN.

Thanks thread.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Smashing Link posted:

Can anyone suggest a monitor that can do power + display through USB-C to a 12" MacBook? Preferably <$300 and only needs to be about 20-23" (for my Dad who is used to a 21.5" iMac). Thanks in advance. -

There’s no such thing. Try $650+.

a_good_username
Mar 13, 2018

Smashing Link posted:

I don't think something that size + price + power scheme exists. Either you'd get a portable monitor which goes through USB C, which has some issues and caps out at 16" or so for like $200-300(e.g. https://www.amazon.com/AOC-i1601fwu...ortable+monitor) or you'll have to go more expensive.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Well poo. I guess old Dad will have to wait another year or two for his upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Khorne posted:

Best Buy had it on sale for $350 before. Which is kind of the same as $400 + gift card.

The former would be even better, because you pay less sales tax upfront and don't have to deal with any gift cards.