Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tormented posted:

So I been wanting to build a new computer for a couple months now, I'm I screwed now with the GPUs price hike?

It might get better in a few months? Otherwise try to get a used 980ti. That would be my advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Measly Twerp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-g4GR-cQOY

I'm not optimistic of AMD remaining competitive even in the low end GPU market.

Well, yes, but if RTG is going to get killed by something, it’s their years of bad managerial decisions and lack of new technologies. Not because Nvidia denies them access to the board partners eSports brands.

They have so many problems that “we can’t get an Aorus logo on it” isn’t really even on the radar.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lockback posted:

It might get better in a few months? Otherwise try to get a used 980ti. That would be my advice.

980 Tis aren't much of a deal compared to 1070s. You are getting something older/with more wear, that uses more power and has less VRAM.

If you could get them for like $300 or $350 then sure, but paying $450 for a 980 Ti isn't a smart move at this juncture, either wait or suck it up and pay the extra $50 for a 1070.

The price curve is basically perfectly flat right now, everything is priced more or less linearly based on its performance. There is very little savings from stepping to an older card, even if you go all the way back to Kepler.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 12, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul MaudDib posted:

980 Tis aren't much of a deal compared to 1070s. You are getting something older/with more wear, that uses more power and has less VRAM.

If you could get them for like $300 or $350 then sure, but paying $450 for a 980 Ti isn't a smart move at this juncture, either wait or suck it up and pay the extra $50 for a 1070.

The price curve is basically perfectly flat right now, there is very little savings from stepping to an older card, even if you go all the way back to Kepler.

I've see 980tis go for $350 on local Craigslist and 1070s are all well over $100 more than that, that's used both cases. If you absolutely cannot wait I think the 980ti gives you better value at that price. That depends on your locale though, ebay prices are hosed on both.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Id be very upset buying a $350 980ti jesus christ

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Used 980 (no Ti indeed) are $250 here but GTX 1060 are at least $350 (the 3 GB version) or over $400 for cheap 6 GB versions. Getting an Asus or MSI GTX 1060 6GB goes all the way up to $500 which is hilarious considering that's nearly what I paid for my GTX 980 shortly after it came out :suicide:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

1gnoirents posted:

Id be very upset buying a $350 980ti jesus christ

It's about the same performance as a 1070. Sold listings for 1070s are around $550 used on ebay. I'd rather spend $350 on a 980ti than $550 on a 1070.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The best video card to buy right now is this weird model called “a used ps4 and copy of yakuza 0 to fill your time and just wait”

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lockback posted:

It's about the same performance as a 1070. Sold listings for 1070s are around $550 used on ebay. I'd rather spend $350 on a 980ti than $550 on a 1070.

The absolute cheapest 980 Ti on eBay is $460, and that's where most of them have been ending on auction too. If you have a local idiot who's selling them for 25% below value then by all means jump on that, but (a) that's not common, and (b) would be true of literally any card.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Cygni posted:

The best video card to buy right now is this weird model called “a used ps4 and copy of yakuza 0 to fill your time and just wait”

Yep. You're better off buying an Xbox One and forgetting about PC gaming for the next six months. Gotta wonder how many people have given up on PCs and retreated back to consoles...

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Funny tidbit of ancient history w/r/t Kyle Bennet. The [H] forums used to have an off-topic forum called "General Mayhem" which eventually spun off into its own terrible website that still exists today. Since both websites were run by 40-year old men with the maturity of 12 year olds there was constant slapfighting between the two forums. Kyle registered an account on GenMay and the mods implemented something called "[H]-mode" as a dig at the [H] forums poor reliability that would make make the website run very slow and/or randomly redirect to nowhere and implemented it on Kyle's account. Despite all of that he would still come to GenMay to troll the forums because he was a big annoying manbaby. GenMay prided itself on how great it was compared to the terrible Something Awful that charged $10 and had mean mods, it was a stinking pile of poo poo. Their constant trashing of SA convinced me to register here and I never looked back.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Tormented posted:

So I been wanting to build a new computer for a couple months now, I'm I screwed now with the GPUs price hike?

Keep an eye out for premade systems. They don't have the huge markup for the video cards in them.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MaxxBot posted:

Funny tidbit of ancient history w/r/t Kyle Bennet. The [H] forums used to have an off-topic forum called "General Mayhem" which eventually spun off into its own terrible website that still exists today. Since both websites were run by 40-year old men with the maturity of 12 year olds there was constant slapfighting between the two forums. Kyle registered an account on GenMay and the mods implemented something called "[H]-mode" as a dig at the [H] forums poor reliability that would make make the website run very slow and/or randomly redirect to nowhere and implemented it on Kyle's account. Despite all of that he would still come to GenMay to troll the forums because he was a big annoying manbaby. GenMay prided itself on how great it was compared to the terrible Something Awful that charged $10 and had mean mods, it was a stinking pile of poo poo. Their constant trashing of SA convinced me to register here and I never looked back.

But SA sucks, man, I can't post my system specs in my sig! Everyone's gotta know this Celeron 300A runs at 450mhz. Everyone.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Rexxed posted:

But SA sucks, man, I can't post my system specs in my sig! Everyone's gotta know this Celeron 300A runs at 450mhz. Everyone.

I for one think it's really great being able to know some rando's totally pedestrian overclock.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I will be a bit more impressed by OCing if isn't just a incredibly massive ~10% clock boosts on near crazy volts, TDPs and warranty destroying delids.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Palladium posted:

I will be a bit more impressed by OCing if isn't just a incredibly massive ~10% clock boosts on near crazy volts, TDPs and warranty destroying delids.

My last 'real' OC game on a GTX580 that had been hardware vmodded by K|ngp|n (E: and as long as I'm e-bragging here, was the record holder for single card scores and was still covered in the conformal coating overclockers use when they do LN2).

I benched it a few times, got bad-ish scores since I hadn't tuned my system, realized that benchmark scores mean literally nothing, and then just ran it at basically stock + afterburner slider OC.

Sold it for as much as I bought it like a year later, too, to another hobbyist starstruck by the name, which ain't bad.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 13, 2018

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I miss sandy bridge overclocking.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I actually had a celeron 300a overclocked to 450. That was the hot combo back in like, 1996 or so. I also had the pure3d 3dfx card which was like a ti card these days.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

jonathan posted:

I actually had a celeron 300a overclocked to 450. That was the hot combo back in like, 1998 or so. I also had the pure3d 3dfx card which was like a ti card these days.

Fixed.

C2D E6300 1.86GHz @ 3GHz was the greatest OCer I ever had, which is a 63% overclock. I almost got twice the available CPU performance in CS:Source versus my old A64 3500+ bought only like a year before, and that made my jaw dropped.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only two CPUs I've owned as an enthusiast were the e6750 2.66Ghz @ 3.3Ghz, and the 2600k.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It would've been fall of 1997 because I remember I had the combo before quake2 test was sent out.

Edit: I then built a new combo in anticipation for quake 3, using a Nvidia Riva TNT but I don't remember the rest of it. And then I didn't even bother playing quake3 because girls/Mustangs/booze/night clubs and I completely forgot about videogames until 2015.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 13, 2018

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

PerrineClostermann posted:

The only two CPUs I've owned as an enthusiast were the e6750 2.66Ghz @ 3.3Ghz, and the 2600k.

2500k/2600ks were godlike. I used a 2500k since 2011 all the way up to June last year, and it loving handled everything I threw at it. I had to upgrade it to Z170 board eventually, because of the slow memory and not the CPU itself.

It's definitely got its place in the tech hall of fame alongside radeon 9700 pro and 8800GT

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Domestic Amuse posted:

Yep. You're better off buying an Xbox One and forgetting about PC gaming for the next six months. Gotta wonder how many people have given up on PCs and retreated back to consoles...

the 5570 in this mac pro runs morrowind like a dream so I'm just going to rot on that if I feel like playing games. or just buy persona 5 and spend the rest of the year pretending to be a kawaii high school stufent

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

2500k/2600ks were godlike. I used a 2500k since 2011 all the way up to June last year, and it loving handled everything I threw at it. I had to upgrade it to Z170 board eventually, because of the slow memory and not the CPU itself.

It's definitely got its place in the tech hall of fame alongside radeon 9700 pro and 8800GT

I'm spoiled. I'm still on my 2600k waiting, and I started my first build with a launch 8800gt for 300 USD.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
It's kind of a sad day when integrated graphics become a big deal, but that new Ryzen 5 actually isn't terrible with a capital T. You can replace it with something better when GPU prices come back down.

But yeah if you're one of those "too good for 60hz" people then enjoy picking expensive cards for your expensive monitor.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Since it seems to have been skipped over:

FREESYNC 2 ON XBOX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXEjx_eY0IM&t=5907s

(It's a stronger move than waiting for Intel to get around putting AdaptiveSync into their integrated graphics.)

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

My last 'real' OC game on a GTX580 that had been hardware vmodded by K|ngp|n (E: and as long as I'm e-bragging here, was the record holder for single card scores and was still covered in the conformal coating overclockers use when they do LN2).

I benched it a few times, got bad-ish scores since I hadn't tuned my system, realized that benchmark scores mean literally nothing, and then just ran it at basically stock + afterburner slider OC.

Sold it for as much as I bought it like a year later, too, to another hobbyist starstruck by the name, which ain't bad.

Dumb question: why does EVGA keep K|ngp|n on the payroll? Like, maybe IDGI, outside of the world record benchmark runs under LN2 and the like, what else do they gain from having him around? Generally curious what EVGA gets from the relationship.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

FREESYNC 2 ON XBOX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXEjx_eY0IM&t=5907s

(It's a stronger move than waiting for Intel to get around putting AdaptiveSync into their integrated graphics.)

That's pretty rad. Only killer is going to be finding a monitor that supports it over HDMI

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Generic Monk posted:

the 5570 in this mac pro runs morrowind like a dream so I'm just going to rot on that if I feel like playing games. or just buy persona 5 and spend the rest of the year pretending to be a kawaii high school stufent

My R9 270X is holding up, although newer titles would likely leave it pretty winded. I just wish I had held on to my GTX 970.

Meanwhile, a glimmer of hope: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/61176/gpu-demand-crypto-mining-shows-signs-slowdown/index.html

Too bad we won't be seeing new cards until possibly Q3 2018.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 13, 2018

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

SwissArmyDruid posted:

FREESYNC 2 ON XBOX: ...

It's not really being skipped over, it's not an immediately useful thing, as (AFAIK) there are no actually available TV's with FreeSync support, let alone FreeSync 2. Could be helpful if you're the type to use a XBone on a monitor, true, but that's a fairly small population.

The more interesting bit will be when HDMI 2.1 starts being implemented and VRR/FreeSync/GSync starts being a lot more available.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Electronaut posted:

Dumb question: why does EVGA keep K|ngp|n on the payroll? Like, maybe IDGI, outside of the world record benchmark runs under LN2 and the like, what else do they gain from having him around? Generally curious what EVGA gets from the relationship.

If I was EVGA I wouldn't have him as standard staff but give him like 2,000 for each card model they want to make with his input and branding. It's simple stuff like labeled test points and keeping components out of the way for custom heatsinks, but someone has to do it and the premiums his branded cards go for make it worth it.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-p102-100-gpu-spotted-for-crypto-has-3200-shader-cores-and-5gb.html

Nvidia mining card maybe though Im not sure I agree with 5GB lol

cough not to mention about 2 months too late not sure even a 5gb 1080ti would be worth the $2 a day

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

guru3d posted:

From what I understand, these cards receive one month of warranty.

Ahahahahaha what is this poo poo?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

You probably could solder on a DP jack somewhere and turn it into a back alley 1080ti gaming card

NO WARRANTY

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Those has to be leftover GP102 dies that failed so hard that the only way to use them is to be salvaged as buttcards

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

ItBurns posted:

We'll see who's optimistic and who's delusional after Nvidia announces its next datacenter or crypto card without any updates on their gaming line.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'm optimistic. if they're making a dedicated mining card then maybe it's in their interest to throttle mining on the standard ones after all

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Could you maybe use that card for Gamestream?

Though you know it's gonna be like $700 or something stupid.

ONE MONTH WARRANTY.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

It's not really being skipped over, it's not an immediately useful thing, as (AFAIK) there are no actually available TV's with FreeSync support, let alone FreeSync 2. Could be helpful if you're the type to use a XBone on a monitor, true, but that's a fairly small population.

The more interesting bit will be when HDMI 2.1 starts being implemented and VRR/FreeSync/GSync starts being a lot more available.

I don't think HDMI 2.1 VRR is backwards compatible with AMDs custom Freesync-over-HDMI solution, so this could potentially get confusing.

TVs would have to implement each protocol separately and might end up only supporting one (most likely HDMI 2.1).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19g9peb_IXU

Not sure how true this is but apparently Samsung is planning to support VRR in its 2018 QLED tvs?

Samsung does produce freesync gaming monitors as well so this doesn't seem terribly far fetched to me.