Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Xombie posted:

Almost all of the races since the election have swung to the same degree as the one in Alabama, in favor of the Democrats, even in "safe" districts.

No, this is not at all historically unprecedented. I think you need to go back and look at the history of midterm elections in sitting presidents' first terms. The Dems only have to pick up a net of two seats to get the Senate.

And getting 2 of those while retaking all of their embattled seats is gonna be almost impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Every state up for election except Wyoming and Utah are less Trumpy than PA-18.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Glazier posted:

Or limit the damage any Executive can do, for example how about repealing the War Powers Act?

the war powers act, or even a much stronger act, is a dead letter (even assuming it's constitutional) if congress won't stand up for itself. that's what i mean that there's very little you can do to check a government fully controlled by a malicious party, and to be clear i consider the entire gop a malicious party not just trump himself

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Radish posted:

To Schumer the Republican party is closer to his ideology than to the average Democratic voter most likely.

He is the one who said that for every working class vote Hillary lost, she would get two suburban moderate Republicans.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mooseontheloose posted:

Obama asked Congress to authorize him to strike Syria, after the Republicans dogged him for it and they all backed off.

Yup, he called their bluff. They are absolute loving morons who want to use war as a reason to mobilize voters against political opponents when they're out of power, and defend rigorously while flag-waving when they're in power.

Republicans should be a "see also" entry under Hypocrisy in the goddamn dictionary.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/maxberger/status/973571951393431552

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Junior G-man posted:

Never contribute to malice what can much more plausibly contributed to stupidity.

Nail Rat posted:

You mean attribute

G-man had to know that. He clearly used the wrong word to be an rear end in a top hat on purpose.

At least that's what I'm contributing it to.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xombie posted:

Almost all of the races since the election have swung to the same degree as the one in Alabama, in favor of the Democrats, even in "safe" districts.

No, this is not at all historically unprecedented. I think you need to go back and look at the history of midterm elections in sitting presidents' first terms. The Dems only have to pick up a net of two seats to get the Senate.

the democrats have to pick up a net of two seats, when one of those seats would be a reach in any normal year and there are only two really reasonable seats to hope for. that's in addition to defending five seats that should be dead men and women walking and a handful more that should be tossups

even with a massive blue wave it is still iffy at best for Democrats to retake the Senate, they need to absolutely run the table on every seat above, or manage to fluke out a Texas/Tennessee victory while losing one of the five

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Xombie posted:

On the other hand, you have to wonder if years of problematic compromises will finally do in people like Tester and McCaskill. Joe Donnelly in Indiana could easily lose that seat too given how that state seems to be leaning.

And you got Heitkamp trying to get reelected in North Dakota, which is as red as they come.

You have to wonder about Wisconsin too. Those jerks keep giving us Paul Ryan and they booted out Feingold in 2016.

The 2018 Senate elections are giving the Democrats a very ugly map. I’d expect the worst.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

evilweasel posted:

the democrats have to pick up a net of two seats, when one of those seats would be a reach in any normal year and there are only two really reasonable seats to hope for. that's in addition to defending five seats that should be dead men and women walking and a handful more that should be tossups

even with a massive blue wave it is still iffy at best for Democrats to retake the Senate, they need to absolutely run the table on every seat above, or manage to fluke out a Texas/Tennessee victory while losing one of the five

Let see what happens in Mississippi and Arizona...

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Also remember that Russia is sure to help Republicans by meddling in the elections with no resistance from Donnie Dipshit or Congressional Republicans.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

evilweasel posted:

the war powers act, or even a much stronger act, is a dead letter (even assuming it's constitutional) if congress won't stand up for itself. that's what i mean that there's very little you can do to check a government fully controlled by a malicious party, and to be clear i consider the entire gop a malicious party not just trump himself

I think even normalizing trump as just another republican is a little disingenuous, stuff like the russia sanctions were voted yes by every single republican except rand paul and he only voted no for weird rand paul reasons.

Some of this stuff is absolutely trump off on his own thing. There is blame to the republicans too for not insta-impeaching him or whatever, but there is topics where trump is not just doing standard republican things

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

mcmagic posted:

Arizona will stay Republican, so don’t count on a seat flip here.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You know, lots of buisnessmen don't have meetings with russia where they leak a bunch of israeli military secrets for no apparent reason.

Like at some point maybe investigate "hey maybe trump is doing this" and not hide behind "what a poor man, that innocent lenny trump, always accidently stumbling into helping russia! it's so tragic he's so dumb on this!"

you used an example of him being a dumb braggart as if it was some cloak and dagger thing.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

SourKraut posted:

If Arpaio wins a primary he could Roy Moore himself.

If Phil Bredesen beats the Roy Moore in Tennessee this thread isn't going to be too pleased with him.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

evilweasel posted:

I haven't followed the Senate stuff much. Is it clear who the D nominee is in Tennessee? Last I checked the state Democratic party had written a letter to Phil Bredesen practically begging him to run... did he jump in?

If so, don't underestimate TN. Dude is a very popular blue dog Democrat who won every county in the state during his last re-election campaign for governor.

Ague Proof posted:

If Phil Bredesen beats the Roy Moore in Tennessee this thread isn't going to be too pleased with him.

Blue dogs are awful but they're still better than Republicans.

Drone fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 13, 2018

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

SourKraut posted:

Sinema is polling pretty well... There also might be 2 seats on the ballot.

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, man, this scares me too. I didn't serve, but I know a great many who do and almost to a man, they're Trump supporters.

They were all republicans before any of this, so it's not some huge leap, but the fact that they're all so blatantly in for ~Trump~ is surprising.

That so many whom I served with support Trump on a visceral level despite his policies being against their needs and his morality being despicable has sadly opened my eyes to my nievity about some underlying realities 😯

I wrote that somewhere else but the discussion here has been significant in inducing my wake-up call.

It truly sucks.

Between serving all during my 20s, growing up in North Dakota, and going to college in Florida, I've managed to surround myself with people important to me whom I think are implicit in ruining this country. And harbouring hatred that I should have been more willing to confront.

I guess I made my bed... 🤢

And based on those interactions, it makes me super pessimistic about any Blue Wave in November. From what I see, voters can be compelled by loud words and economic deception.

It does motivate me to work harder to do my part to oppose it all. If that's anything.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Remember when HRC tried to flip Arizona in 2016 and ended up losing Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania? Good times.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Drone posted:

I haven't followed the Senate stuff much. Is it clear who the D nominee is in Tennessee? Last I checked the state Democratic party had written a letter to Phil Bredesen practically begging him to run... did he jump in?

He's in, but he's very much a blue dog.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

even though she was a poo poo candidate i legit thought she was gonna flip some red states blue. i severely overestimated my countrymen.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Brony Car posted:

On the other hand, you have to wonder if years of problematic compromises will finally do in people like Tester and McCaskill. Joe Donnelly in Indiana could easily lose that seat too given how that state seems to be leaning.

And you got Heitkamp trying to get reelected in North Dakota, which is as red as they come.

You have to wonder about Wisconsin too. Those jerks keep giving us Paul Ryan and they booted out Feingold in 2016.

The 2018 Senate elections are giving the Democrats a very ugly map. I’d expect the worst.

It seems like Donnelly is the most likely to lose, probably followed by McCaskill. Heitkamp was strong enough to initially deter their strongest challenger, and Tester/Manchin seem like they're doing alright. McCaskill and Donnelly are literally only in the Senate because they drew challengers who couldn't shut up about rape, and I don't know that they can survive if that doesn't happen again.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

Regardless of your opinion on the Democrats it's pretty clear that Schumer has no business being the leader of the Senate Democrats. I can't imagine him doing the sort of underhanded poo poo that will need to be done if the Democrats become the majority.

EDIT: corrected mistake

Idk he's pretty good at being sneaky and underhanded, look at how he managed to make bank deregulation happen for his Wall Street donors while still being able to appear publicly against it because he personally did not vote for it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Drone posted:

If so, don't underestimate TN. Dude is a very popular blue dog Democrat who won every county in the state during his last re-election campaign for governor.

He did. That's the only reason TN is on the list as a longshot, but there have been enough old Democrats in red states who try a comeback and get absolutely crushed because it's a red state now and the racist realignment is fully complete that I'll believe it when I see it.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

evilweasel posted:

I wasn't implying it wasn't difficult, just that "historically unprecedented" with the current map is not accurate. The Republicans holding the senate right now can't even definitively be called a safe bet.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Brony Car posted:

Remember when HRC tried to flip Arizona in 2016 and ended up losing Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania? Good times.

2018 is a different climate than 2016.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/973573562484318209

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
loving lol, I was afraid this newsweek would be all about that totally not biased GOP statement of the Russian collusion case, but then Trump gives everyone a whole new nugget to chew on, and included with that meal is the implication that he fired him for his harsh words on Russia.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

For those of you who might forget, Katrina Pierson is the Bullet Farmer:

The

Best

People

This was also when the FL nightclub shooting was new and people said the necklace was bad taste. She like an edgelord doubled down and said she'll wear a dead baby necklace nextime.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xombie posted:

I wasn't implying it wasn't difficult, just that "historically unprecedented" with the current map is not accurate. The Republicans holding the senate right now can't even definitively be called a safe bet.

the current map is historically unprecedentedly bad for democrats, if they managed to retake the senate i would call that historically unprecedented. the fact that it's a possibility just means that things are that historically unprecedented already

the map is a 28-3 lead in the third quarter, to put it in sports terms; just because it's now in overtime doesn't make a win any less historically unprecedented

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's all of the above, most likely. Trump is Putin's personal sock puppet because crooked Russian business dealings and they have things over him related to the above/he adores big strong dictator types/he's very dumb. Like, these aren't mutually exclusive.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

mcmagic posted:

2018 is a different climate than 2016.

Yeah, but I don’t think the dynamic has shifted enough in the states at play for the Senate in 2018. I’m optimistic about the Democrats taking the House, but for the reasons evilweasel and others have gotten into, the Senate is ugly and full of unfavorable voter pools.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
"Serious financial crimes... not Trump related", yeah ok sure!

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

The Sean posted:

G-man had to know that. He clearly used the wrong word to be an rear end in a top hat on purpose.

At least that's what I'm contributing it to.

I know words. I have the best words.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Groovelord Neato posted:

you could make the gop illegal.

The real method is to hack and destroy at the powers that give the GOP its power -- get rid of Citizens United, get comprehensive campaign finance reform, go all Teddy Roosevelt on the banks and any big firms, outlaw gerrymandering the best you can, same day voting registration, election day a federal holiday, kill voter ID, etc.

Then give people a reason to not vote for the GOP at all -- give them universal health care, have an actual plan to help people in rural areas, enact policies that go after and cut down on income inequality, tax the rich, etc. And actually do what you campaign on. Give people an actual reason to vote for you so they don't vote on racism by default.

Then go after the cultural institutions that propagate fascism -- namely organizations like the NRA and the Evangelical church. This isn't something that government can or should do but its definitely something that we can do as a society. The rude kids have the right idea there by naming and shaming the NRA and those who take money from them.

Then, build up some institutions of our own -- retake the democratic party and rebuild the unions.

And then finally, get me a coke because I'm really thirsty right now

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

bogoodski posted:

That so many whom I served with support Trump on a visceral level despite his policies being against their needs and his morality being despicable has sadly opened my eyes to my nievity about some underlying realities 😯

I wrote that somewhere else but the discussion here has been significant in inducing my wake-up call.

It truly sucks.

Between serving all during my 20s, growing up in North Dakota, and going to college in Florida, I've managed to surround myself with people important to me whom I think are implicit in ruining this country. And harbouring hatred that I should have been more willing to confront.

I guess I made my bed... 🤢

And based on those interactions, it makes me super pessimistic about any Blue Wave in November. From what I see, voters can be compelled by loud words and economic deception.

It does motivate me to work harder to do my part to oppose it all. If that's anything.

Yeah, man, becoming the friend of an obsequious right-winger who is addicted to talk radio and fox news really did a lot to turn me off of that entire ideology. Their true believers are not reasonable people.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

arizona is that long-shot state to get the second win to take the Senate. it's a red state, just with a weak enough margin that it could fall. mississippi is, at best, a long-shot that requires a lot more going right than it takes to win TX or TN. they've got their horrible candidate, but it's still a hilariously red state and he's more pre-pedophilia revelations roy moore, not post, and moore was winning before that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

you could make the gop illegal.

i believe democracies have tried banning parties before and it's of middling effectiveness at best without other measures, the bad party just reforms under a different name. you need structural changes to fix it or much more legal action than merely banning the party

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This is the best infrastructure week ever :smugdon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

even though she was a poo poo candidate i legit thought she was gonna flip some red states blue. i severely overestimated my countrymen.

it's almost like... the election was a massive fraud... :thunk:

• Locked thread