Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

RFC2324 posted:

As a 38 year old, i can safely say you will be.

My poor friend is 42 and just found out his gf is pregnant.

I can’t wait for my midlife crisis. I’m gonna get a Miata and highlights in my hair.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, you should definitely speak with a lawyer.
Nah, age discrimination only protects people who are over 40. In his case, not gonna happen.

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/age.cfm

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

jaegerx posted:

I can’t wait for my midlife crisis. I’m gonna get a Miata and highlights in my hair.

I'm 46 and smack in the middle of "what the gently caress did I do with my life?"-itis. So I take the wife to Italy for three weeks last summer. Hawaii, Cabo, skiing in the Sierras with the whole fam. And a three week road trip through Washington, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming planned for this summer. And we are considering buying a second house.

Then I remember that a 27 year IT veteran's salary owns. :smug:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm just about 37 and all I want now is to chill on my professional life and make my personal life take a front seat but it's extremely hard. It's getting really loving old coming home to an empty house.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I started going through my midlife crisis when I was 19

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Methanar posted:

So you'll be dead at 38, then? :rimshot:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Methanar posted:

Same but since like 6 months ago

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Matt Zerella posted:

Who's worrying? It's just a kick in the nuts to realize I'm getting kind of old and let me be kinda sad in the IT thread. Not all rooms need indignant adults.
No I mean, I'm on your side. You definitely have a tone of "this sucks huh?", and a lot of people are like "SEE YOU IN COURT BUDDY!", and I'm just like, can we just agree it sucks, buy the man a drink, and move on

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Bunch of old people unhireable fucks in this thread.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

jaegerx posted:

Nobody will laugh if you Miata properly.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

No I mean, I'm on your side. You definitely have a tone of "this sucks huh?", and a lot of people are like "SEE YOU IN COURT BUDDY!", and I'm just like, can we just agree it sucks, buy the man a drink, and move on

Ahh my bad. :respek:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I turned 30 and my idea of an early midlife crisis was to start playing hockey. And it's tiring as gently caress, makes me feel old and out of shape, but I keep going back because I refuse to be old at 30.

Can't imagine what 40 will bring!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

adorai posted:

Nah, age discrimination only protects people who are over 40. In his case, not gonna happen.

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/age.cfm

I did not know this. Thanks for the info.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Is there anything more harrowing than remotely reloading a switch core at midnight and watching the ping come up empty for eternity, running through all the recovery scenarios you might have to go through before it suddenly pops back up on the network?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Is there anything more harrowing than remotely reloading a switch core at midnight and watching the ping come up empty for eternity, running through all the recovery scenarios you might have to go through before it suddenly pops back up on the network?

Literally no

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Methanar posted:

Literally no

Literally yes, when that ping goes on for 27 hours and all your customer access is down, at a bank.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
har·row·ing
ˈherōiNG/Submit
adjective
acutely distressing.

If its down for 27 hours I'd call that chronically distressing.

Methanar posted:

Literally no

Actually I'd like to amend this.

Multiple times I've done a network change or something somewhere on something important, and IMMEDIATELY after my VPN will drop.

The drop will be a random home wifi blip that is completely unrelated to whatever I'm touching. This doesn't make my heart unexplode.

This has actually happened like 4 separate times to me.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 13, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

On the topic of general work stuff: I’m developing my abilities in the area of “not giving a poo poo about stuff that isn’t your problem” and I encourage everybody to give it a try. Used to get worked up about sales loving things up, but it’s not my gently caress-up, and it’s not my money. So who cares?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I can heavily recommend it. One of the things i learned from this thread was to give less of a gently caress about things out of my control. It has worked well for me.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Thanks Ants posted:

On the topic of general work stuff: I’m developing my abilities in the area of “not giving a poo poo about stuff that isn’t your problem” and I encourage everybody to give it a try. Used to get worked up about sales loving things up, but it’s not my gently caress-up, and it’s not my money. So who cares?

“Care more about less”

I’ve reduced my focus to like 4 core things at my job and it’s been fixing great. Also I’m an old and enjoy telling people to get off my lawn when their snowflake service isn’t working and doesn’t use our tooling.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Stage / Theatre / Dance companies always use musical songs as their hold music, it is driving me absolutely insane this morning. This guy keeps putting me on hold to run around while we work on something.

Edit: Just play "rockin my soul in the bosom of abraham" on loop for an hour and see if you want to kill yourself

Sepist fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Mar 13, 2018

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yes, if it was done during business hours.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I just imagined being on hold to Jellicle Songs and now I kinda want to die.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
My kids' pediatrician has a 10-second loop of Fur Elise being played on what sounds like a Game Boy, give me all the lovely showtunes

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bigass Moth posted:

Yes, if it was done during business hours.

yeah but at that point you've dug your own grave. With the scheduled off-hour work it's a flurry of "what could my change have hosed up? is the flash card dead? when's the last time this thing rebooted? is my boot image corrupted? I swear changing jumbo MTU shouldn't impact my network but what if this obscure service requires a specific setting I didn't know about ... holy poo poo I'm going to have to drive in at 1 AM, how am I going to save this thing, I'll be up all night doing this, i SWEAR jumbo MTU shouldn't have done this oh god what have I . . . oh there's the ping. Cool goodnight"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sepist posted:

Stage / Theatre / Dance companies always use musical songs as their hold music, it is driving me absolutely insane this morning. This guy keeps putting me on hold to run around while we work on something.

Edit: Just play "rockin my soul in the bosom of abraham" on loop for an hour and see if you want to kill yourself

The most insidious hold music I've ever encountered was a generic guitar loop that would dip its audio level every couple of minutes just to get your loving hopes up that you were about to be answered before continuing on.

There is a special level of hell reserved for whoever thought that one up, and if I ever meet them I will send them there personally.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

. With the scheduled off-hour work it's a flurry of "what could my change have hosed up? is the flash card dead? when's the last time this thing rebooted? is my boot image corrupted? I swear changing jumbo MTU shouldn't impact my network but what if this obscure service requires a specific setting I didn't know about ... holy poo poo I'm going to have to drive in at 1 AM, how am I going to save this thing, I'll be up all night doing this, i SWEAR jumbo MTU shouldn't have done this oh god what have I . . . oh there's the ping. Cool goodnight"

This is perfect.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Judge Schnoopy posted:

yeah but at that point you've dug your own grave. With the scheduled off-hour work it's a flurry of "what could my change have hosed up? is the flash card dead? when's the last time this thing rebooted? is my boot image corrupted? I swear changing jumbo MTU shouldn't impact my network but what if this obscure service requires a specific setting I didn't know about ... holy poo poo I'm going to have to drive in at 1 AM, how am I going to save this thing, I'll be up all night doing this, i SWEAR jumbo MTU shouldn't have done this oh god what have I . . . oh there's the ping. Cool goodnight"

Yes. Exactly this.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I wonder how many people over the years have quit on the spot in a scenario like this rather than get fired.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The most insidious hold music I've ever encountered was a generic guitar loop that would dip its audio level every couple of minutes just to get your loving hopes up that you were about to be answered before continuing on.

There is a special level of hell reserved for whoever thought that one up, and if I ever meet them I will send them there personally.

Somebody here mentioned they'd make their hold music the build up to the drums in "In the Air Tonight" and then just drop into a "sorry for the wait" message before starting over. If you sold replacement telephones you'd end up very wealthy.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Somebody here mentioned they'd make their hold music the build up to the drums in "In the Air Tonight" and then just drop into a "sorry for the wait" message before starting over. If you sold replacement telephones you'd end up very wealthy.

:wtc:

This is almost too evil.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
At my old job we got to pick the hold music on a rotating schedule, and both times I got to pick our clients would compliment my choices :smug:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

I wonder how many people over the years have quit on the spot in a scenario like this rather than get fired.

I dunno, but very early on in my career I had a coworker on the west coast (I was east coast) call me at like 3am to ask if I could drive in to turn on a server. We'd often do work on each other's infrastructure if the time change made it easier. She was working on one of our servers and meant to reboot it but accidentally shut it down. This was before virtualization and we didn't have anything like IP KVMs or iDRAC/iLO/IMM. She was hysterical crying because our management was brutal and she thought she was going to lose her job if anyone found out. She asked me to promise not to tell anyone, which, of course, no problem. I'll run in and turn the server on.

Places like that are just terrible environments. Shutting down a server instead of rebooting, or rebooting instead of logging off, or rebooting the wrong thing is something everyone has done in their career. It sucks, you learn from it, but I really don't think it should be a fireable offense. We all press buttons daily that could do really bad things if we make a mistake. It happens. We're human.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

I dunno, but very early on in my career I had a coworker on the west coast (I was east coast) call me at like 3am to ask if I could drive in to turn on a server. We'd often do work on each other's infrastructure if the time change made it easier. She was working on one of our servers and meant to reboot it but accidentally shut it down. This was before virtualization and we didn't have anything like IP KVMs or iDRAC/iLO/IMM. She was hysterical crying because our management was brutal and she thought she was going to lose her job if anyone found out. She asked me to promise not to tell anyone, which, of course, no problem. I'll run in and turn the server on.

Places like that are just terrible environments. Shutting down a server instead of rebooting, or rebooting instead of logging off, or rebooting the wrong thing is something everyone has done in their career. It sucks, you learn from it, but I really don't think it should be a fireable offense. We all press buttons daily that could do really bad things if we make a mistake. It happens. We're human.

When I did tech support for Verizon DSL about 10 years ago, I had a button in one of my tools that I was told to NEVER touch. Why? Because it would shut down a bunch of equipment at a distribution center for the account of whatever customer I was dealing with, causing an instant outage for thousands of people.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Inspector_666 posted:

At my old job we got to pick the hold music on a rotating schedule, and both times I got to pick our clients would compliment my choices :smug:

We found out you could put ANYTHING as hold music on our innovaphone system if you put people on hold with *7000 and further, so we had plenty of fun with stuff like *7007 being the Bond theme and *7666 being Paul Elstak - Your Mother sucks cocks in Hell.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Nope, copying me in on your stream-of-consciousness emails to somebody else and interpreting my lack of objections as a stamp of approval is not how we're going to do this.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Nope, copying me in on your stream-of-consciousness emails to somebody else and interpreting my lack of objections as a stamp of approval is not how we're going to do this.

:murder:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Thanks Ants posted:

if ($sender -Name "idiot" & $body.wordcount > 20){
send-Reply -body "No. This needs to be reviewed first."
}

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Thanks Ants posted:

Just trying to loop you in!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
I used to do hardware field service for NetApp. Their support line’s hold music was silence except for a ding every 14 seconds (it was 13, 14, or 17. I don’t remember) to let you know you were still connected.