Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Truant posted:

the way i dig it is they're corpses, rotting corpses nonetheless, so they're full of some pretty nasty bacteria. the zombie bite/scratch/gore covered whatever kills not via the zombie virus but just from a regular infection, sepsis.

but i mean this is the walking dead so it's probably tiny wizards terraforming your body into dookie

Except it never ever works like that.

It's the reason Gabriel can be saved, it's because he JUST has an infection from the zombie guts. (This makes the plot point even more ridiculous since we just established you can survive this.)

He's not turning into a zombie. It's just an infection. I'd assume that other zombie related injuries are the same. You can get an infection but not the *you are bit you have no way to survive*. If that were the case you could save anyone bitten with antibiotics and the show has established bite = death.

The only way to explain it, which the show never has, is that zombies evolve some venom injector in their teeth and it's the venom that creates the "100% kill rate cannot be stopped cannot be helped." All other injuries are fixed with antibiotics. Again, the show never has said this but it is literally the only way the rules they setup could work.

ED: Walking Dead basically is homaging Romero rules, where no matter how you die you turn into a zombie, but a bite always infects you lethally. Except with Romero (and possibly the comic, I have no idea) they are super explicit about stating that there's something in the bite that will kill you for sure, and it's not just a regular infection.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Do you guys have a hospital at this place that's one house and a couple trailers? You see...I'm a doctor

Yeah it's in the trailers now go there that's your home now

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

What exactly was the point of the doctor. Like, what did he accomplish other than being Beth v2.0?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

moist turtleneck posted:

Do you guys have a hospital at this place that's one house and a couple trailers? You see...I'm a doctor

Yeah it's in the trailers now go there that's your home now

I was laughing about the fact she didn't know him at all. If he were like Nick on Fear they'd show up at the hospital and find the last of their meds gone and little else.

Also why is Maggie so smug about their fortress and why is Negan in such a ridiculous rush? Just camp their little town in like a medieval siege and they'll be out of food and hosed in two weeks. Just pick off anyone going out for food and they literally will surrender once they mostly starve to death.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

canepazzo posted:

What exactly was the point of the doctor. Like, what did he accomplish other than being Beth v2.0?

Hey his "grab a gun and shoot them all" move was dumb but it was still smarter than stabbing someone with a tiny, tiny nail file in the middle of a hostage exchange. Way smarter.

I mean, at the very least, he could have taken a couple out with him maybe. Sad as he was he was Einstein compared to Beth.

ED: I will never, ever let the fact Beth was shot from below at gut level resulted in her getting a bullet to the top of the forehead, both in that scene AND the hallucination version. I don't know what the gently caress happened to effects continuity there. I think I'm the only one who was annoyed by it, though.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 12, 2018

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

Blazing Ownager posted:

The only way to explain it, which the show never has, is that zombies evolve some venom injector in their teeth and it's the venom that creates the "100% kill rate cannot be stopped cannot be helped." All other injuries are fixed with antibiotics. Again, the show never has said this but it is literally the only way the rules they setup could work.
They have venom fangs, razor fingers and teleporter glands.

canepazzo posted:

I think they were going with something like "Oh no, I kept getting lucky breaks and giving him hope and he got cocky and died... because of me...."

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 12, 2018

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

canepazzo posted:

Hey, at least Beth sang a song.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gortarius posted:

They have venom fangs, razor fingers and teleporter glands.

I honestly wish the zombie types were above regular zombie. gently caress it, I want a stupid zombie show with Left 4 Dead like zombie mutations running around, or at least something like that.

As it stands rotting corpses that are half melted have no problem grabbing horses and then ripping through them like they're made of cake

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Blazing Ownager posted:

I honestly wish the zombie types were above regular zombie. gently caress it, I want a stupid zombie show with Left 4 Dead like zombie mutations running around, or at least something like that.

As it stands rotting corpses that are half melted have no problem grabbing horses and then ripping through them like they're made of cake

Seen Z-Nation?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: I will never, ever let the fact Beth was shot from below at gut level resulted in her getting a bullet to the top of the forehead, both in that scene AND the hallucination version. I don't know what the gently caress happened to effects continuity there. I think I'm the only one who was annoyed by it, though.

No dude, that was so bad. I can suspend disbelief like crazy, have gotten into all kinds of low budget or unrealistic shows. This show regularly brings me out of it with stupid poo poo; the hole in Beth's head is up there with the Van.

This week it was the contrivance of 1-day prisoners worrying about prisoners' rights and exercise. Oh and swamp zombies rising to the surface to bite instead of going for ankles, which is what actually makes a zombie swamp scary.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Gortarius posted:

I caved and watched an episode, and it was just as bad as I knew it would be.

The guy walks intro a beartrap, screams in agony and immediately 6 or so zombies jump out of the bush, and somehow, magically, he is fighting them off. Even more magically the gun teleports to gabriels feet (did it get thrown out of the guys hand? I missed it if it did) and he makes the perfect blindfolded noscope360. It is so amazing in fact that the doctor doesn't care about the pain or the other 3 zombies lurking about anymore and is just laughing.

I feel like part of TWD's universe's rule set is that items randomly teleport up to 10 feet, and the writers just forgot to clue us into that rule 40 seasons ago.

Other than that is it just normal physics with normal humans using normal human emotion and reasoning.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

How low you've fallen, Sgt. Carver. :(

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Gortarius posted:

I caved and watched an episode, and it was just as bad as I knew it would be.

The guy walks intro a beartrap, screams in agony and immediately 6 or so zombies jump out of the bush, and somehow, magically, he is fighting them off. Even more magically the gun teleports to gabriels feet (did it get thrown out of the guys hand? I missed it if it did) and he makes the perfect blindfolded noscope360. It is so amazing in fact that the doctor doesn't care about the pain or the other 3 zombies lurking about anymore and is just laughing.

I can't say I would know what your vision would be like with whatever infection that is supposed to be but I doubt it looks like a piece of folded brown paper around the camera lens.

The rest of the episode was such uninteresting nonsense that I can't remember what, if anything, happened even though I just saw it 15 minutes ago. I guess there was some tough moral choice of "Do we let the prisoners exercise or not? Hmm... We have no food but I think we should..."

Thumbs up.

It's all just so lazy. Everything just happens because they need it to in that moment. So much of this show is just pointless :circlefap: these days. Perfect example, what was it, like 5 episodes ago Daryl and Rick had a huge fight over the speaker truck when ended up being so pointless that it literally could have not been in the show at all and the only thing that would have changed would be 20 minutes of run time.

Hardwick puts more effort into his ra-ra aftershow than anyone on the actual production team.

It's almost to a Helix-style So-Bad-That-It-Becomes-Good level of schlock.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The doctor shot himself, he wasn’t trying to kill everyone.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The Duke posted:

I haven't watched this season/half season, but was it because this doctor can't handle the pain of existance/hurting others?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The Human Crouton posted:

I haven't watched this season/half season, but was it because this doctor can't handle the pain of existance/hurting others?

Also, did he walk through the woods for 45 minutes before killing himself?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

The Duke posted:

I'm pretty sure he grabbed the guy's gun, then another Savior shot him and was scolded "you idiot, that's the doctor!"

The bullet hole was definitely in his upper chest, which is a strange place to shoot yourself given the positioning. I call this one Suicide by Savior. :shrug:

The Human Crouton posted:

Also, did he walk through the woods for 45 minutes before killing himself?

Yes. Literally yes. Then he walked into a bear trap and the writers handed Gabe a gun (:lol::wtc:) and let him 360ns a zombie! :sicknasty:

But then the doctor was dead 10 minutes later so, kind of like the speaker truck, it could have just not happened at all. I guess we are back on the SadGabe cycle of the plot-circle.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I just rewatched the scene and I was wrong, in my defense it’s filtered through Gabriel’s poopy eyes so it’s kinda confusing! He was definitely trying to get himself killed either way.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Gabriel's POV looked like he was peering through an actual rear end in a top hat which is fitting for the character.

These constant loving montages are useless time fillers. Just write a drat scene.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

The Duke posted:

This is TWD's "Shannon was shot" moment

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

ElectricSheep posted:

Wasn't she stabbed?? :haw:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Let my religious zealotry lead you to your demise

Also did they kill kill the doctor or is Gabriel going to have a drawn out scene where he has to fight the guy that he dumbed to death

"gently caress this priest is killing me, better get this over with before it gets worse"

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

canepazzo posted:

What exactly is the point of any of this?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ElectricSheep posted:

This show wishes wishes it could be as confusing as Lost was.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

CODChimera posted:

What exactly is the point of any of this?

To sell advertising and merchandising and licensing in excess of the cost of production??

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Dr. Carson Action Figures flying off the shelves!!

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Riveting episode!

*Carson and Gabriel bumble around uselessly*

Negan: We need that doctor back!

*bumbling continues*
*Carson, who can still see, misses the trap warning*
*Carson killed (oopsy-daisy!), Gabriel recaptured*

Gabriel: Religion over science, bitches?

Negan: Guess I shouldn’t have thrown his brother into a furnace in the first place.

*Everyone worries because nobody has a doctor*

Siddiq: Hello, I’m a Doctor.

Greatest show of all time. How many more episodes are they going to spin their wheels to kill time on pointless missions in order to pad this poo poo out until the last episode where ‘Oh no! Does Rick kill Negan, or does he remember Carl’s letter?!’

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The Saddiq being a doctor and Maggie's reaction is some peak walking dead

Heh, that's cool. needed one of those just go hang out at the trailers

That scene was so quick, but bad

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Andrew_1985 posted:

Gabriel's POV looked like he was peering through an actual rear end in a top hat which is fitting for the character.

These constant loving montages are useless time fillers. Just write a drat scene.

:perfect:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

I was shocked to see TWD's CGI deer make a cameo in 3 Billboard Outside Ebbing Missouri. I'm glad its getting work.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

moist turtleneck posted:

The Saddiq being a doctor and Maggie's reaction is some peak walking dead

Heh, that's cool. needed one of those just go hang out at the trailers

That scene was so quick, but bad

I think that was supposed to be a ~providence~ moment to balance with Gabe's b-plot. It's just really dumb to do the whole "Deus Vult" thing when, in this universe, God is the writer's room so this show is basically just auto-fellatio.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I just love how they insinuate that he is nearly blind... like very very close to it. Can't see poo poo right in front of his face.

But then they show his POV and it's just some slightly blurry loving tunnel vision. JUST DONT SHOW HIS POV.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I like how the bell that led them there was a sign that says there were traps

"I wonder what this place is? Oh well, I'm sure that clanging sign won't tell me"

And why the gently caress would the doctor decide that those badly hidden traps weren't worth looking for? How did this dude survive this long without looking where he is stepping?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

moist turtleneck posted:

I like how the bell that led them there was a sign that says there were traps

"I wonder what this place is? Oh well, I'm sure that clanging sign won't tell me"

And why the gently caress would the doctor decide that those badly hidden traps weren't worth looking for? How did this dude survive this long without looking where he is stepping?

It was all part of His plan. :circlefap:

They proved God was real in this episode. So now that is the reason for everything.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I don't why Walking Dead keeps doing "what about religion" poo poo because it loving sucks

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

JossiRossi posted:

It was all part of His plan. :circlefap:

They proved God was real in this episode. So now that is the reason for everything.

Unless something drastic has changed in the writing, the show has at times explicitly made the point that the setting is Purgatory, yes. The only real choice you have is how you get raptured.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Someone who is good at bibles please tell me if some blind doofus saves the day in the old rear end story book

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

dont even fink about it posted:

Unless something drastic has changed in the writing, the show has at times explicitly made the point that the setting is Purgatory, yes. The only real choice you have is how you get raptured.

I'm not sure I would give the show this much credit, but I've not noticed this myself. I'm hilariously bad at catching biblical references though so me not seeing it means absolutely nothing. Was this something like in the first season?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Shneak posted:

I was shocked to see TWD's CGI deer make a cameo in 3 Billboard Outside Ebbing Missouri. I'm glad its getting work.

That's actually a sign of a Matrix glitch fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

moist turtleneck posted:

Someone who is good at bibles please tell me if some blind doofus saves the day in the old rear end story book

I don’t think Paul ever really saved the day, but there was this dude named Saul, who persecuted Jesus’s followers, and had a great time doing it. He was on his way to Damascus ready to wreck poo poo up, and suddenly had a vision of the resurrected Jesus who’s like ‘Yo, Saul, quit being such a dick’. Saul fell the gently caress off his horse and was struck blind.

Three days later he was baptized, he his sight came back, changed his name to Paul, and started writing letters, hassling everybody like an old-rear end version of people that go door-to-door handing out religious pamphlets.

So, no.

E: Jesus was able to cure the blind. God help us if Jesus rescues Gabriel and just so happens to have the medicine necessary to restore his vision.

E2: Oh man, this show is so dumb and heavy-handed, that’s probably exactly what will happen...

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 14, 2018